• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Does Anyone still play melee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pieman0920

Smash Master
I still play SSB from time to time.

As I don't own Brawl, which is a situation the majority here shares, I still play Melee. Heck, for that reason, the opening post asking if people still play it seems really dumb. And even after I have Brawl, I'll probably pop in Melee every once in awhile.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
I don't play Melee because it's so unrealistic. Seriously, Princess Peach cannot knock a gorilla 3000 yards with a turnip. Sorry. Just isn't very likely. =)

That being said, I am a liar and I thoroughly love Melee. Most likely will continue to play it after Brawl, but probably less often. I am a graphic artist so I kinda sell myself on beautiful textures and particle effects.

EDIT: For those of you who do not enjoy the nostalgia factor of old-school games, please send me all of your Wii point cards that you come across. :)

Bendu

Smash Journeyman
Anyone with good taste in games can recognize the quality and fun-factor of a game despite the age. Frankly, if you think old games are a waste. Then you probably have bad taste.

The line isn't between old and new. It's between good and bad.

Chrnocide

Smash Apprentice
Well, when I get Brawl I definately won't touch Melee for a while.. if anyone proposes to me to play, It's probably because they don't have Brawl themselves >.> Which won't be the case, because everyone I know who plays Melee, is getting Brawl on release date.

so yeah.. we'll see how it goes.

simplicityho

Smash Journeyman
You got that right, i mean that dudes a pleb, come here start spamming up the thread with uselessness.
Do you play melee??
That was the basic question. needs an answer like yes because its......... or no I..........
But not this dude loool.
What a pleb almighty.
Your basic question was; 'do you play Melee, because old games aren't worth playing.'
Go back and help out your cyber (and only) friend out some more. Idiot.

S3rious

Smash Cadet
Melee Would get a rating of 5.5/10 if it was rated again today.
It sucks i mean seriously it just purely sucks so bad it makes mee smile.
I mean Whos gonna wanna buy a game so they can have fake fighting with pokemon like jiggly or Play as DK.
Get a reall fighting game like tekken or No more heroes.
Hopefully Brawl will change my opinion on the franchise.

Kreeeee

Smash Cadet
Melee Would get a rating of 5.5/10 if it was rated again today.
It sucks i mean seriously it just purely sucks so bad it makes mee smile.
I mean Whos gonna wanna buy a game so they can have fake fighting with pokemon like jiggly or Play as DK.
Get a reall fighting game like tekken or No more heroes.
Hopefully Brawl will change my opinion on the franchise.
Either you're a blithering idiot or really bad at telling jokes... I'm really not sure which.

S3rious

Smash Cadet
Either you're a blithering idiot or really bad at telling jokes... I'm really not sure which.
Hmm.....You think your pretty grimey dont u dude.
Theres Noone Deeper than Me I can take every member on these forums on at once.
Dude I Am S3rious.

courte

Smash Lord
yeah... us who are without brawl!!

seriously just like people still play 64 and never made the jump, captain falcon and shiek mains will surely still play melee

I've been playing Melee since 01, competative in 06.

I still love Melee. Tournaments are very fun, and interacting with other smashers is awsome. Even though I can't go to tournaments that often, I enjoy the ones I actually go to. OC3 was probably the most fun I had at a tournament in a while.

Steerclear

Smash Cadet
Question for you EU players out there...

Why wait for that release? Order the US version and have it imported. :) Even WITH customs and whatnot, it should take FARRR less time. And, if the *** version works on US systems, there's a good chance that this should work on yours. :)

Oh, and S3rious is srsly serious...

Kruton

Smash Ace
I can no longer go into 3 hour Melee sessions with my friends. I will never stop playing Melee, but I can never play it for more than maybe 45 min. at a time.

When Brawl is available regionally however, I'm sure 4-5 hour Brawl sessions will be common place amongst my friends and I. XD

Kruton

Smash Ace
Question for you EU players out there...

Why wait for that release? Order the US version and have it imported. :) Even WITH customs and whatnot, it should take FARRR less time. And, if the *** version works on US systems, there's a good chance that this should work on yours. :)

Oh, and S3rious is srsly serious...
Umm...the Japanese version doesn't work on American Wii's, I don't understand how you came to that conclusion...

And there's a reason why '***'anese is censored man...

Requiem

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
starcraft?? never heard of it.
Melee Is Falling behind modern gamesand now i just wonder why its even still played today.
No online play. Characters are now lacking in depth as theres loads more characters in nintendos history.
Why put smash in your Wii/Gamecube and start playing? whats the point?
Play Mario Galaxy or something!
You're not serious are you? about the very first thing..

QFT

and I dunno, but did the people here that just joined since december or so, even discover any indepth tactic and technique in melee? otherwise they have absolutely no right saying i've played melee long enough

SGX

Smash Journeyman
I'll still play melee if there's still a competitive scene for it. That's pretty much the only reason I started playing melee in the first place.

Pikaville

Pikaville returns 10 years later.
Of coures its still worth playing,for that sweet fluidity that brawl .....not lacks but.......OH COME ON YOU KNOW HOW GOOD MELEE IS!

Ive been playing it since the day it came out and ill be playing it with Dave later today.I never tire of the endless epic battles.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
I still play Melee at least once a week, for hours and hours on end. Mostly because I really want to improve, especially for Brawl. Online will probably be a real reality check, because I'm still not a pro-level player, even though I try so hard.

FlyinG ShoosteR

Smash Apprentice
I still play Super Mario World all the time, and that game came out 17 years ago. Melee is just as fun and addicting. So yes, I still play Melee. almost every day, in fact.

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Until Brawl comes out IMO is a good limit for most people but then again why will people go back to babylon and still play melee EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE BRAWL!! Even if you have noone to play with on brawl go on wifi instead of melee, cmon i guess its a good warm up for brawl but 45min per day for me is enough, the games starting to suck IMO.

Burninator

Smash Journeyman
A good game is a good game, regardless of how old it is. Why do you think Virtual Console is doing so well? I can give you two reasons.

1. People have some sort of classic game fetish
2. There are a LOT of really great, original games that are often overlooked simply because they aren't new

Both of those reasons are the absolute truth. And it's not just ridiculously old games, but N64 and GameCube-era games as well. Take the Pikmin games for example. A pair of extremely original games that sold well, and most everyone that played it LOVED it. I'm playing through Pikmin 2 now. Ocarina of Time is another game that will last ages. It's an amazing game, and though Twilight Princess came out, people still recognize it as one of the best games ever made.

Seriously, if you're going to drop a game purely because it's not the newest thing out there, feel free. Sell it to GameStop so people that have good taste can play.

WR3K

Smash Ace
lecto2007, you must not have any friends to play with.

there will ALWAYS be a rush in a good game like melee when playing with competitive friends... always.

you must not discount games because of their age just like movies and music are not discounted.

sure it is dated and stale in the face of brawl. but it is still a classic.

classics never die

Lecto2007

Smash Lord
Because i dont like what you like doesn't mean i have bad taste i means we have different likings to game types and genres why flame when the person is expressing views?

Japanese Monk

Smash Journeyman
I still play it almost every day. As long as Im playing against a human I dont think it can ever get boring.

Kreeeee

Smash Cadet
Until Brawl comes out IMO is a good limit for most people but then again why will people go back to babylon and still play melee EVEN WHEN THEY HAVE BRAWL!! Even if you have noone to play with on brawl go on wifi instead of melee, cmon i guess its a good warm up for brawl but 45min per day for me is enough, the games starting to suck IMO.
We get it, you're just repeating the same things over and over.

TheKoopaBros.

Smash Journeyman
I still play melee at least 3 times a week for hours at a time. Its a great game and as long as you have competition or a personal goal it simply doesn't get old.

I just don't understand why you can't accept that people have differing opinions of your own. If you don't find Melee fun that's fine, just stop trying to convince us that you're right. I certainly am not trying to get you to play old games if you don't want to.

SolidSonic

Smash Ace
No, I can't think of a game that would not eventually get old for me.

I'd rather do other things then spend upwards of four years on a game, or play a game that came out decades ago and is uber primitve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom