• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do you think For Wii U is going to kill For 3DS?

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
Sorry if I missed a topic on this already (I only kinda skimmed through, so lock if needed), but it's something I've been dreading a little bit. As someone that really enjoys the 3DS version and has no real reason to buy a Wii U, do you think that the Wii U version of the game - along with its extra features and the legendary Gamecube controller of awesomeness - will kill the playerbase for the 3DS version?

I enjoy unwinding with a fun series of For Glory matches against strangers sometimes and I'm terrified of December rolling around and the online for the 3DS becoming a ghost town. For that matter, I like the idea of For 3DS tournaments in local communities, even if local wireless can sometimes be iffy.

Do you think my fears are unfounded? What do you expect to happen? Will there still be a fun casual online scene? Will there still be any decently sized tournament play?

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
Sorry if I missed a topic on this already (I only kinda skimmed through, so lock if needed), but it's something I've been dreading a little bit. As someone that really enjoys the 3DS version and has no real reason to buy a Wii U, do you think that the Wii U version of the game - along with its extra features and the legendary Gamecube controller of awesomeness - will kill the playerbase for the 3DS version?

I enjoy unwinding with a fun series of For Glory matches against strangers sometimes and I'm terrified of December rolling around and the online for the 3DS becoming a ghost town. For that matter, I like the idea of For 3DS tournaments in local communities, even if local wireless can sometimes be iffy.

Do you think my fears are unfounded? What do you expect to happen? Will there still be a fun casual online scene? Will there still be any decently sized tournament play?
I think there will be 2 camps of player bases. One camp who only used the 3DS version as a placeholder for the Wii U version and strictly plays on that version. The second camp will be people who love portable versions of a game and like that you can Smash whenever wherever, and will argue that if they want to play the Wii U version with the above camp, that they will connect their 3DS's to the Wii U as controllers.

Some people like the consoles more, and others like portables more.

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
and will argue that if they want to play the Wii U version with the above camp, that they will connect their 3DS's to the Wii U as controllers.

Wait, I thought that it was confirmed that Wii U and 3DS wouldn't have cross play.

King Donkey Kong

Banned via Warnings
I will completely switch to the Wii U version. Smash 3DS was great but I took it as just a demo with all the fighters. I used it to learn the movesets and combos and prepare for the Wii U version. I might still play it if I'm out with some free time or something, who knows.

Last edited:

wingedarcher7

The PSI Powerhouse
NNID
speedstar623
3DS FC
3411-2028-1159
There have been tons and tons of threads on this already, but I'll reply anyways.

I don't think the WiiU version of the game will kill off the 3DS version of the game at all. People will still play the 3DS one because some people don't have a WiiU at all and probably don't plan on getting one. In regards to tournaments, I'm starting to think that both versions of the game will have their place, but the WiiU one will be more prominent with the larger ones since those who are used to the 3DS version of the game can use that as a controller if they really wanted to anyways.

Kikaioh

Smash Apprentice
NNID
ParkourSquid
3DS FC
4055-4356-1945
I think ultimately there will be more people playing the 3DS version, simply because it has a much larger install base than the Wii U. I imagine the competitive scene is going to go with the Wii U version for tournaments, though with the comparatively larger 3DS user base maybe you never know (and since people are running 3DS tournaments now, maybe it'll continue even after the Wii U launch).

Ryusuta

Smash Master
3DS FC
5000-3249-3643
That makes sense. I guess time will tell. I appreciate your observations, and apologize to wingedarcher. I wasn't trying to be redundant with the question.

TheBuzzSaw

Young Link Extraordinaire
BRoomer
I plan on playing Smash 3DS on the go. That's really the only use it has left for me. The rest of the time will be dedicated to the Wii U version of the game. Playing on a comfy couch with a proper GameCube controller beats out hunching over a tiny 3DS any day.

Keep in my mind that many kids out there are slave to their parents' will. Many kids will have to make do with the 3DS version as they will not be receiving a Wii U anytime soon. Other kids have a Wii U but had to miss out on the 3DS version.

Tournaments will switch over largely to the Wii U version. The 3DS version won't see many physical events because of the wireless interference problem (on top of being less popular than the Wii U version). I suspect a strong online scene will push forward, though.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Yes, of course a game for a console with a mediocre player base will kill the game for a console with an absurdly large player base. Makes sense.

BlueTier

Smash Apprentice
NNID
unknown123
3DS FC
0018-0940-3707
All the good players will move to the Wii U version and the 3DS servers will be left with trash. :yoshi:

Da Black Rabbit

Smash Journeyman
NNID
BlackRabbit87
3DS FC
1650-1675-4360
The moment I get my copy of Smash Wii U is the moment I don't touch any other game for no less than a month, including Smash 3DS.

I don't think the game will straight out DIE because the 3DS install base is huge and Smash sold like hot cakes. I do see a significant drop in players when the Wii U version comes out.

That being said, buy a Wii U. It is awesome.

Zero Suit Roxas

Smash Cadet
NNID
LeBabbo
3DS FC
0748-1742-4057
Since the 3DS version has been out longer than the Wii U version, along with how few Wii U systems have been sold, I think there's still going to be plenty of 3DS players out there. But it gets old when everybody goes around calling the 3DS version a demo when it'll outsell its console counterpart.

Elixir Soup

Smash Cadet
NNID
Stickkid12
3DS FC
5069-4931-8546
Lots less people have Wii Us than people who have 3dses so probably not.

Flaxr XIII

Smash Lord
NNID
FlaxrXIII
Yeah, because how many people play the game affect how much I'll enjoy it. This is coming from the guy who spent years in the ghost town that is Team Fortress 2 for 360, and absolutely loved it.
That being said, I'm sure 3DS will still have a strong following for those who enjoy portable games, but I won't know cuz I'll be strictly Wii U from that point on.

Tollhouse

Smash Journeyman
The 3DS version will certainly lose a lot of players that play regularly. It was a given that the Wii U version would be the biggest of the two all along.

D

Deleted member 269706

Did Project M kill Brawl?
...there's your answer.

SS-bros14

Smash Champion
3DS FC
4038-6159-5535
Been over this like a thousand times, Smash U will probably not kill Smash 3DS, as 3DS sales crush WiiU sales like a grape.

RespawningJesus

So Zetta slow!
NNID
RespawningJesus
3DS FC
1590-5236-9299
Switch FC
SW-5266-0424-0233
Did Project M kill Brawl?
...there's your answer.
No, it didn't, but Brawl did a fine job of shooting itself in the foot though.

Anyways, here is how I see it. All the super hardcore smashers will buy a Wii U just for smash if they don't already own one. They will basically play Wii U much more frequently than 3DS. Most of the tough competition will be on the Wii U, which could spell trouble for Wii U's online playerbase for the more casual, or not as good smashers.

VibraKnife

Smash Rookie
There isn't a whole lot to say that people haven't already said. Wii U has a smaller fanbase, but a lot of the professional players will likely be switching to Wii U.

I personally plan on playing a mix, as I still enjoy the different solo features of 3DS, and the solo changes on Wii U are appealing to me. Personally, though, I plan on spending a LOT of time on the Wii U when the game first launches on the Wii U. I recently got a hardware upgrade that takes my gamepad's life span from 2-3 hours to 20-30.

AngeloHollow

Smash Apprentice
3DS FC
2535-4585-8889
I'd rather not shell out hundreds of dollars to buy one game I already have. Nothing else on the system seems even slightly interesting to me...
I've made this point to a lot of my friends. I also add that I have no interest in wanting to get a Wii U, and that I have no incentive to buy the Wii U version of the game since so many of my friends are getting the Wii U version, so I could just play it with them if anything. I have my version of the game, so I'm satisfied. Smash on the go is wonderful and fantastic, and I am a handheld gamer as it is, so I like it when my favorite games are portable.

TriforceToast

Smash Rookie
NNID
TriforceToast
3DS FC
5155-3076-7873
In my personal opinion, Smash 3DS is safe. The possibility of playing on the go, as well as the amount of people who don't own a Wii U and want to play Smash Bros. assure its survival.

spankyjoe457

Smash Rookie
Hey everyone, just dipping my toes in the water for this forum community (but am not a stranger to the games themselves)... I'm not completely sure if this topic has already been posted, but just posting a quick little conversation:

Once Smash 4 for Wii U comes out, do you think that the 3DS version of the game will retain its popularity? In a competitive sense anyway, at major tournaments will there be separate brackets for 3DS and Wii U? Or is the 3DS version simply acting as a placeholder until Wii U releases... and then the meta will transfer? Personally, I at least hope that the 3DS still retains popularity... as it is a very unique perspective for a Smash game.

Discuss...

Last edited:

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
this topic's been made already but the answer is no. The competitive scene will belong to the wiiU version when it comes out. As it should.

the 3ds isn't just a placeholder though. It has it's own important role: portability.

spankyjoe457

Smash Rookie
this topic's been made already but the answer is no. The competitive scene will belong to the wiiU version when it comes out. As it should.

the 3ds isn't just a placeholder though. It has it's own important role: portability.
Oops, should have checked first if this topic was made... but I do agree, each game does have a place

KingTeo

Smash Apprentice
Oops, should have checked first if this topic was made... but I do agree, each game does have a place
Psh I wouldn't worry about it. Sometimes making a topic to get a quick answer is just faster and easier than looking through for related topics and then maybe having to look through those to find an actual answer.

Welcome to the community btw. 395

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
The best players will definitely leave for SSBU, but it's absurd to say SSB3D will die. Although those with both have a pretty easy choice when it comes to playing online.

Mythra

Photon Edge
Switch FC
SW-3407-0751-9511
Of course not, Smash 3DS is enjoyable on it's on way (Smash Run is an example); we may see a sharp decline on 3DS players soon but that's normal because ORAS is taking over too.
In the end the 3DS version will fulfill it's purpose: Smash on the go.

Ampetrix

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Christopaz
3DS FC
4527-8084-1972
I wouldn't be surprised if the next generation would feature only a Smash Bros. handheld-game. Hehehehe... Ya know, since the casual gamers(where Nintendo gets the huge pile of cash) transitions to handheld gaming, or mobile gaming.

D

Deleted member 245254

I think there will be 2 camps of player bases. One camp who only used the 3DS version as a placeholder for the Wii U version and strictly plays on that version. The second camp will be people who love portable versions of a game and like that you can Smash whenever wherever, and will argue that if they want to play the Wii U version with the above camp, that they will connect their 3DS's to the Wii U as controllers.

Or the 3rd camp of players...people who have both and play 3DS when they are not able to play Wii U, which doesn't mean we prefer using the 3DS as a controller...that should have been the obvious one.

Seriously, what weird world do the people who keep making these threads live in where the Wii U can be played mobile? The only possible conclusion is you have no reason to leave your home every day. Get a job, or invest time in school. Once you do, you'll realize why the 3DS version remains relevant no matter HOW GOOD the Wii U version is. They are meant to compliment one another, not compete.

Spirst

Or the 3rd camp of players...people who have both and play 3DS when they are not able to play Wii U, which doesn't mean we prefer using the 3DS as a controller...that should have been the obvious one.

Seriously, what weird world do the people who keep making these threads live in where the Wii U can be played mobile? The only possible conclusion is you have no reason to leave your home every day. Get a job, or invest time in school. Once you do, you'll realize why the 3DS version remains relevant no matter HOW GOOD the Wii U version is. They are meant to compliment one another, not compete.
Yep. It seems there's a thread each day that broaches this topic. I fail to understand why it's assumed there's going to be such a strong dichotomy as if the two versions are somehow mutually exclusive from each other. It's Smash mobile so it's not going anywhere anytime soon. Not to mention the fact that the 3DS userbase far exceeds the Wii U userbase. I go to school so I'm not home all the time. When I'm on campus, taking a train, waiting at a cafe, or whatever it may be, the 3DS version is extremely convenient in holding me over until I'm actually able to go home.

negikogok

Smash Rookie
NNID
negikogok
3DS FC
3668-8815-6202
1. The players that are not able to afford a WiiU yet will remain.
2. The 3DS version is portable.

I consider the 3DS version as a practice version before the WiiU version is released tho.

TurnUp

Smash Apprentice
3DS i feel will remain popular (you can play it on the toilet) but WiiU will definitely dominate the tourneys. When i get Wii U i will still play both and love it.
Guess what....
You can play both versions on the toilet, permitting the Wii U console is close enough to your toilet for your gamepad.

Staying on topic, I know it won't be dead for me, because I still have stuff to collect on complete on the 3DS version, and I have work and I'm constantly on the go. But at home the Wii U version may take over.

Last edited:
Top Bottom