• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Smash Bros. fans even LIKE playing these games?

D

Deleted member

First and foremost; the gameplay of Smash Bros. is why I enjoy it so much. I have always loved fighting games and platformers as a genre, but I am awful at fighters, I just love beating people down by (attempting) to preform one special move the entire match. Smash is a fighter that plays like a mix between a fighter and a platformer in a way. The varied layouts of the stages make it more like a platformer, but the gameplay is closer to a fighter, but without the complexity that some fighters have. It can be just as deep as other fighters when you really get into it though. And I can play it without trying to preform a Hadouken the entire match. I can actually learn the character's moves. In terms of characters, sure it would be nice to have that one character to play as, but I grow to like any character that's added, and there is always one character I never tire of using. When I first played Melee at a friend's house, I had no idea who anyone in the roster was from or who they were except for Pikachu, Kirby, and the Mario cast. (except Dr. Mario)

And even putting the deep gameplay aside, the amount of content these games have is ridiculous. There are hundreds of trophies to collect, songs to unlock and high scores to beat. I personally loved Subspace, and occasionally do playthroughs of it.

I can fully understand your frustration with speculation though. I'm getting it too. I'm sick of Ridley and too big jokes, but we only have a few weeks left until the game launches in Japan, and then we can start discussing important things.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitzel

Smash Ace
I've always thought the "character hype" is extremely annoying, especially when people get so into it that they feel the need to go into other character threads and argue against those characters' inclusions. Don't people realize that it's been too late to make a difference in the roster for a long, long time now?

It's almost as infuriating as when people call Smash 4 "Sm4sh." You're only saving one letter by typing that! ffs...

A_Phoenix_Down

Banned via Warnings
Honestly, at any given time on any Smash board anywhere (not just here), all I see are topics about the characters and the roster. How many character slots will be on the select screen? Which character should be cut? What character will be revealed next? Come rate my roster...

Do people actually like playing the game? Or do they just want to marvel at the character select screen, and nothing more? Some even say they won't buy the game if a specific character isn't playable. Game modes, stages, items, ATs, enemies...It's like none of these even matter.

Do these people care about anything aside from the roster? Granted, the Nintendo crossover thing IS part of Smash's appeal, but there's a lot more to the game than just the characters.
It's like Call of Duty and Battlefield where a person won't buy the game simply because their favorite weapon happens to be a weapon that nobody thinks of and is, as a result, not in the game.

They say they won't buy it but don't let that get to you... they'll buy it.

PixelPasta

Smash Lord
People play for different reasons - hasn't the tired 'hardcore vs casual' debate taught us that enough?
Obviously everyone here loves playing the games, but we each have different aspects of Smash that we love.

Some people love the gameplay. They love the way Smash feels and get really invested in playing it both alone and with others. And there's nothing wrong with that.
Some people (like me) love the characters. They play Smash because it still gives them that childlike wonder of seeing their favorite characters fight. And there's nothing wrong with that, either.
Some are in the middle; and so on and so forth.

I could make an argument for how it is completely crazy that some people only play for the gameplay and don't even care about the characters. I mean, bringing together Nintendo's icons is what Smash is all about!
But there isn't any point in me doing that - because who am I to disapprove of somebody playing in a way that they find fun?

People play for different reasons. That's what makes us a community. We're all united by one thing - Super Smash Brothers! So I don't see why we have to constantly condemn our fellow smasher on why or how they play. I mean, honestly, the amount of judgement in this community is baffling.

Last edited:

Deap

Smash Ace
NNID
Deap92x
I might be the only old school smash player who enjoys the games for what they are. I know plenty of pro melee players irl and they just care smash the competition.

Little_GotenSRK

Smash Cadet
NNID
Little_Goten
3DS FC
1048-9697-8273
It's difficult to tell sometimes. Generally, I only complain about things I don't like, as opposed to things I do, so I don't understand the Sakurai hate.

Like, with Street Fighter. The only one I don't like is Street Fighter 4, the others are cool.

dezeray112

Smash Hero
Do people actually like playing the game? Or do they just want to marvel at the character select screen, and nothing more? Some even say they won't buy the game if a specific character isn't playable. Game modes, stages, items, ATs, enemies...It's like none of these even matter.
I like playing the game. Therefore, yes.

As for the people saying that they won't buy the game because of those features listed above, I do feel like they are making excuses for not buying the game.

Do these people care about anything aside from the roster? Granted, the Nintendo crossover thing IS part of Smash's appeal, but there's a lot more to the game than just the characters.
I agree with this. I've been a fan of the Smash series since the Nintendo 64 and what appealed to me is not just the characters, but the idea of having fun gameplay.

Last edited:

Superyoshiom

Smash Master
NNID
Superyoshiom
It's more fun to actually play a game rather than talk about gameplay. Plus, it's Smash, so of course discussion about how various crossover material will be executed should take priority over all else, at least up until release.

MasterOfKnees

Space Pirate
NNID
KneeMaster
Switch FC
SW-6310-1174-0352
The Nintendo aspect of it is an enormous part of the appeal, especially to casuals, you're missing out on a huge part of the franchise if you're only interested in the gameplay. It becomes so much more fun when you actually have a relation to the characters you play, after playing Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance I'm playing way more Ike than I used to.

With that said, it also goes the other way around, if you don't care about the gameplay and only see this as a Nintendo ****-fest then you're also going to miss out, because Smash is actually a pretty deep game in comparison to other fighters due to its nature, that goes even for Brawl. Plus, what fun is this mass gathering of Nintendo characters if you don't care about how they play? Nintendo's characters became famous because their games are fun to play after all.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

That, and DLC.
Sonic is Sonic the bleeping Hedgehog. Rayman is Rayman. They're not going to delay a game for him. Sakurai said himself Sonic got in because of fan demand. Rayman doesn't have anything close to what Sonic had.

DLC... Sakurai has voiced his distain for it in the past. He's only retracted the statement recently because Nintendo is supporting DLC now, and the bigwigs told him to.

TJ-Works

Smash Hero
Sonic is Sonic the bleeping Hedgehog. Rayman is Rayman. They're not going to delay a game for him. Sakurai said himself Sonic got in because of fan demand. Rayman doesn't have anything close to what Sonic had.
Not to mention, Sonic actually has a history with Nintendo as their "rival" in video game marketing and mass appeal. Rayman... what has he to do with Nintendo? Raving Rabbids? There was Rayman Legends when it was going to be Wii U exclusive, but then Ubisoft got scared and forced it to go multi-platform.

Rayman Legends may be the reason why Rayman has a trophy, but nothing else besides the Raving Rabbids spin off.

strawhatninja

Smash Ace
NNID
hecticzacattack
3DS FC
4441-9826-4993
Honestly, at any given time on any Smash board anywhere (not just here), all I see are topics about the characters and the roster. How many character slots will be on the select screen? Which character should be cut? What character will be revealed next? Come rate my roster...

Of course we love playing the games. I like speculating about the characters, stages, and modes that will be in the new Smash because I can't play it right now. I think it also excites everyone to talk about their favorite character finally getting in to Smash (or coming back :mewtwopm:).

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
In case you haven't noticed, this kind of insane roster speculation has really only been big since around 2012. Brawl speculation was big for a couple years before it came out. As far as the broader internet goes, insane Smash debate, discussion, flame wars, etc. only really exist when a new game is about to come out. The rest of the time, most Smash fans, especially on the casual side, do actually shut up and play the game. Of course, the Melee vs. Brawl wars rage nonstop here, but we're only a relatively small portion of the fanbase. Compared to other fanbases, our complaints-to-gameplay ratio is actually pretty tame.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi

DLC... Sakurai has voiced his distain for it in the past. He's only retracted the statement recently because Nintendo is supporting DLC now, and the bigwigs told him to.
...What has Rayman got to do with my post, or the post I quoted?

And Sakurai hasn't expressed disdain towards DLC, last year, when Smash 4 was revealed, he said he liked the idea of DLC, and even gave specific mention to Fallout 3's DLC, saying he liked it a lot.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
Its simple really. When it comes to Video Games with Multiple Playable Characters, the most fun thing to do is speculate on what characters will be playable, how they will act, etc.
After all, while Gameplay is King, the characters are the means through which you enjoy the gameplay.
Not to mention the games are Crossover Series, so the first questions would logically be 'who's in' and 'who's out'.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...What has Rayman got to do with my post, or the post I quoted?

And Sakurai hasn't expressed disdain towards DLC, last year, when Smash 4 was revealed, he said he liked the idea of DLC, and even gave specific mention to Fallout 3's DLC, saying he liked it a lot.
Thought I was in the Rayman topic for a moment there, but it sounded like you were talking about Rayman regardless. The only character I could see being added in the middle of development is Snake due to the fact he has a moveset from Brawl. There's no other character that could get into SSB like Sonic did.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
Thought I was in the Rayman topic for a moment there, but it sounded like you were talking about Rayman regardless. The only character I could see being added in the middle of development is Snake due to the fact he has a moveset from Brawl. There's no other character that could get into SSB like Sonic did.
...How did it sound like I was talking about Rayman? I did not even insinuate that in the slightest.

Someone asked why people still ask for characters to get in the game even though the roster was finalised years ago, and I gave them the answer of "Sonic (due to him being an originally unplanned addition) and DLC". I did not allude to any specific character requests, it's just the obvious reason as to why anyone would still try to campaign for any character inclusion at this point.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
...How did it sound like I was talking about Rayman? I did not even insinuate that in the slightest.

Someone asked why people still ask for characters to get in the game even though the roster was finalised years ago, and I gave them the answer of "Sonic (due to him being an originally unplanned addition) and DLC". I did not allude to any specific character requests, it's just the obvious reason as to why anyone would still try to campaign for any character inclusion at this point.
And I'm just saying it worthless to campaign at this point. Sakurai never said he "liked" the idea of DLC, he said he was "open to it." After what he said before, it looks pretty obvious it won't happen by his hand.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
And I'm just saying it worthless to campaign at this point. Sakurai never said he "liked" the idea of DLC, he said he was "open to it." After what he said before, it looks pretty obvious it won't happen by his hand.
Are you referring to this:

"At the current time we have no plans," Sakurai told IGN. "I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it's the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards. That said, once finished, it’s the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.”
Because that's not him being opposed to DLC, that's just him saying he'd rather finish the game first.

There is another quote, as I said before, where he specifically says he likes DLC, and cites Fallout 3 as making great use of it:

Oh, it is not as if I did not like the DLC, it is just that I do not really have the time to think. I’m too busy to work on the game and to include a maximum of content. The goal is to propose a complete and interesting gaming experience for players. In principle, I am not opposed to the DLC. I loved those proposed for the game Fallout 3, for example.

Read more at http://nintendoeverything.com/sakur...dlc-patching-why-villagertrainer-are-in-more/

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Characters matter because if someone's favorite character ends up in the smash, they will want to buy/play smash.

When was first encountered smash bros, the only main franchise of Nintendo I played was pokemon and I wanted the game cause it had Pikachu in it. This led to me playing Mario, Legend of Zelda, and most importantly Fire Emblem in melee's release.

But besides that, people are just angry fanboys/girls if their favorite character isn't in smash. Like I was considering not playing smash4 if Ike actually got axed since he is my brawl main (Had Chrom replaced him I definitely would have, but Robin is way more interesting and would have made me reconsider easily).

Last edited:

Brother AJ

Smash Lord
NNID
Brother_AJ
I'm sorry, but this thread is a little ridiculous. Perhaps you were being facetious, but, no, we do not buy these games simply to look at the character select screen. Try explaining all those incredible sales otherwise... Go on, I dare you. ;)

Acadian Flycatcher

Smash Journeyman
Honestly I don't care who gets in.

I never wanted Captain Falcon and look how that turned out.
No clue who Marth or Fire Emblem was and look how that turned out.
Never thought of the possibility of a Pokemon Trainer and that was great while it lasted.
Now I never knew how much I wanted to play as Jesus in Smash Bros. and now I can.

The point is I don't care who the **** gets into the game, no matter who it is i'll love playing as them.

And besides everyones favourite major Nintendo character is already a regular in the game anyways.
What's the point in arguing about a character who appeared once in a Mario RPG that very few had the chance to play a long time ago?
What's the point in arguing about having alternate costumes for characters that really don't have much appeal?
What's the point in complaining about a "clone" taking up roster space when there is literally nothing you can do about it?
What's the point in arguing about a Zelda villain who has been in one game and does not represent the series as a staple bad guy?
What's the point in wanting more 3rd party characters when we already have 3 of the most iconic ones confirmed?

Just be thankful for what you have.
If Shulk doesn't get in it's not the end of the world.
If Bowser Jr. doesn't get in then it's not the end of the world.
You'll forget about these characters as soon as the game releases anyways.

And if you think there will be DLC for Smash Bros. you are insane.
Sakurai and all the developers are going to take a long deserved break after the game is released.
They aren't going to be continuously working afterwards to dump out new characters when the game right now is already chalked full of enough content.
Why pump out these new characters that could be saved for Smash 5 hype?
Smash Bros. isn't a game that needs DLC.
And Sakurai isn't the kind of developer to release an "unfished" game only to keep patching it months later.
This dude put his life on hold to create this game, there's no way he's going to keep at it after it's released.
Each game stands the test of time, they don't need new material to keep people coming back. People come back anyways.
Smash isn't a game that is half assed and released unfinished yearly. Then to pump out DLC to finish up what the game should have been.

I don't understand the outcry for DLC.
In most cases developers are just selling you parts of the game that were finished but left out of the main release.
They do it for profit.
They know you'll still be playing the game even if they don't release a new map pack in a few months, they just take advantage.
Smash already has enough content.

Last edited:

Ussi

Smash Legend
3DS FC
4613-6716-2183
Actually what happens is those same people start talking about the next smash once the game is released.

Brawl was released and not a day later was there a stickied tread as a general smash4 discussion. I already expect smash5 discussion during the release.

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Are you referring to this:

Because that's not him being opposed to DLC, that's just him saying he'd rather finish the game first.

There is another quote, as I said before, where he specifically says he likes DLC, and cites Fallout 3 as making great use of it:
...Fallout 3? I'm not the only one here that thinks it's bizarre that Sakurai would know about it, right? Japan usually isn't so interested in those types of games.

Anyway, take a listen again:
"At the current time we have no plans," Sakurai told IGN. "I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it's the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.

He seems to be stressing the point a bit, no?

Crawful

Smash Cadet
3DS FC
4983-5238-2711
I love every mode, and every dumb little thing they may add to the game.
I've spent hours just spawning assist trophies in training, seeing how far Ganondorf can send a sandbag fly, or seeing how long I can spam Ike's Aether in Cruel Brawl. Sometimes I like fighting Tabuu on the highest difficulty, just to get my ass kicked. It's fun to see all the things they add in besides the main smash battles.

KERO

Smash Journeyman
Much like Ussi, Smash more or less introduced me to Nintendo. Before Smash, I only knew of Pokemon and Majora's Mask, but hey, Pikachu and an older Link were in this game, how cool! Now, to be fair, I was five, and my parents were absolutely clueless regarding video games.

Anyway, fast forward to eight years later, and suddenly, I'm getting involved in competitive Brawl (and remain involved to this day), analyzing frame data and character match-ups and whatnot, and now Smash 4 is nearly within reach. I can say that the roster is obviously at the forefront of my mind, but it's not the only thing. Smash is a beautiful celebration of Nintendo and video game culture. Even though I desperately wanted Skull Kid to be playable, when he was announced as an Assist Trophy I was still thrilled to see a character from my favorite game being deemed worthy share the battlefield with what are considered Nintendo All-stars, even if he isn't playable, and despite my competitive background, I still intend to have a bunch of fun in FFAs with items and unlocking everything for the first few days if not longer before attempting to figure out each character on a competitive level (which I also find entertaining).

Without making this too long, I feel that quite a few people here have a similar passion, but now that we're nearing the end, that passion is beginning to enter its climax. Plenty are extremely excited for this game, knowing that with few exceptions, the game is going to be everything we want (plenty of trophies, music pieces, and a plethora of references to games old and new)... except for the character roster (and possibly competitive appeal for some). Those who get their dream character (in my case, Skull Kid or Greninja) are going to be ecstatic, ready to play as that character as soon as possible while others that aren't as fortunate may at first be angry or disappointed, these emotions flaring in tandem with the hype as the release date rapidly approaches, but eventually most realize that, whether or not all of our dreams are coming true, Smash, a game where stars of the early 80s, Donkey Kong and Pac Man, can face off with characters born after the turn of the century like Olimar and Lucina, is truly a work of pure brilliance.

Last edited:

YoPoYo9100

Smash Apprentice
Maybe your right. I don't like Smash.

I LOVE it!!
Seriously though, Smash Bros. Is one of the only games that I could play everyday, and that goes for all 3 games.
But I don't really know what it is about them that I love. Probably the ability to play over and over again, and still find room for improvements.

So no, it doesn't matter to me who is a playable character, what items are in, or stages.
I just want to Smash.

ahannoush4

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Drazzle
i play to have fun... to compete with close friends and family.... if the game only had the original 12 I'd still have a blast!
for me, in a way, new characters just give me something to look forward to, hype me up, ya know?

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
:I So you don't want more content because...no reason at all? This is where DLC hate goes too far.
I don't see how someone could hate a game having more content than the original version, I'd love to have characters that didn't make it in as DLC, such as Wonder Red, Inkling...etc.

Last edited:

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
...Fallout 3? I'm not the only one here that thinks it's bizarre that Sakurai would know about it, right? Japan usually isn't so interested in those types of games.

Anyway, take a listen again:
"At the current time we have no plans," Sakurai told IGN. "I consider my job at this point, and my main responsibility, to make the Wii U and 3DS versions the best and the fullest experience possible. That said, once finished, it's the type of thing we could take into consideration, but for now, you could consider DLC as not being in the cards.

He seems to be stressing the point a bit, no?
It isn't bizarre. He's not simply a gamer, he's a game developer, so it makes sense that he would check out games from other regions. Even Miyamoto is a known Call of Duty player.

And yeah, "we currently have no plans" is simply stating "currently". I don't know why you are hanging to this false assumption that he doesn't like DLC at all, because he's fine with it. He'd just rather finish the vanilla game before he thinks about adding anything on to it, that's all he is saying. Many developers do this (and I'd rather DLC be thought of like that, unless you want Nintendo to become Capcom). Heck, to bring in an often compared game, PS-All Stars had character and stage DLC, but it was developed after the game came out.

hichez50

Smash Lord
NNID
Player-00
3DS FC
2122-6108-1245
Look at the dates on peoples profile summaries. People don't sign up and stay active on a FAN site for years and years if they don't enjoy the game. There are exceptions who just like the community, but in large we all like and play the game avidly.

Hitzel

Smash Ace
It seems more important to note that he thinks DLC is something that should be started AFTER a game releases, and not something to make during a game's development to charge for separately.

DevaAshera

Smash Champion
And besides everyones favourite major Nintendo character is already a regular in the game anyways.
What's the point in arguing about a character who appeared once in a Mario RPG that very few had the chance to play a long time ago?
What's the point in arguing about having alternate costumes for characters that really don't have much appeal?
What's the point in complaining about a "clone" taking up roster space when there is literally nothing you can do about it?
What's the point in arguing about a Zelda villain who has been in one game and does not represent the series as a staple bad guy?
What's the point in wanting more 3rd party characters when we already have 3 of the most iconic ones confirmed?
Not everyone's favorite character in a given series is the main character of said series though. For instance, my favorite character in the Super Mario series is Rosalina. My favorite character in the DK series is Dixie Kong, my fav in StarFox is Krystal, so on and so forth.
Maybe because people really like Geno and would like to see him appear again and Super Smash Bros. is one of the few chancs anyone has of seeing him appear again.
Because some people like the appeal of changing how a character normally looks into another style or even character. The fact that people will pay money for this, enough for it to be appealing to developers, should be proof enough of this. Also, some characters, such as Wario, have other iconic looks that people enjoy using more.
The clone one I'll give you, I only complain if its not right for the character (Ganondorf) or all the reps are clones (StarFox)
Because people like that character, 'nuff said, and besides that, the Zelda series doesn't have much staple characters to pull from since its only really Link, Zelda, Ganon/Ganondorf, and Impa..and Sheik is also a character that only appeared in one game and yet she's still around.
Because there are other 3rd Party Series that people enjoy and characters from said series they'd like to see in Super Smash Bros..again, 'nuff said.
Just be thankful for what you have.
If Shulk doesn't get in it's not the end of the world.
If Bowser Jr. doesn't get in then it's not the end of the world.
You'll forget about these characters as soon as the game releases anyways.
Plenty of people are thankful for what they have. The moment MegaMan was revealed and Sonic was revealed to return I was already very much happy with the roster, seeing other characters I love such as Rosalina & Lucina appear is just gravy on delicious mashed potatoes for me.
However, people are allowed to have wishlists or hope to see other characters they want until the game releases. Just because I'm thankful for who have and quite happy with the roster doesn't mean I don't still hope to see Dixie Kong, Krystal, Isaac, Mewtwo, Wario, Ness, Kumatora, or Medusa.
I can also guarantee you that most people aren't going to just 'forget' the characters they wanted to see when the games release. Just because Super Smash Bros. Brawl released didn't mean I still didn't want Krystal in the game, especially after seeing that Wolf was just another Fox clone, even if he was much more different from Fox then Falco was.
And if you think there will be DLC for Smash Bros. you are insane.
Sakurai and all the developers are going to take a long deserved break after the game is released.
They aren't going to be continuously working afterwards to dump out new characters when the game right now is already chalked full of enough content.
Why pump out these new characters that could be saved for Smash 5 hype?
Smash Bros. isn't a game that needs DLC.
And Sakurai isn't the kind of developer to release an "unfished" game only to keep patching it months later.
This dude put his life on hold to create this game, there's no way he's going to keep at it after it's released.
Each game stands the test of time, they don't need new material to keep people coming back. People come back anyways.
Smash isn't a game that is half ***** and released unfinished yearly. Then to pump out DLC to finish up what the game should have been.
Not really. Other Fighting Games have had DLC and Sakurai never actually said they weren't doing it. He said they are focusing on finishing the game first but there is a possibility they might do DLC later. If he was opposed to DLC, he would just have said they weren't doing it.
DLC also doesn't have to be created immediately after the game's release. It could be created at any time, even years later.
They could save characters for Smash 5, but DLC could also be used to bring back any characters that were cut or left unfinished, such as Roy or Mewtwo, or to include characters not likely to be relevant by the next game, such as Ghirahim.
DLC is meant to be Extras added to a Finished Game. Seeing a game as 'Unfinished' just because it has DLC is a poor view to have. Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U are actively looking to be the most content filled games in the series to date with more characters, stages, music options (for Wii U), extras, etc then any of the other games. They are Finished Games, regardless of whether or not DLC is decided to be implemented later, particularly if its used to add-in things that Sakurai wanted to include but ran out of time for (each game has had something like this, be it the Final Smashes of Smash 64, the Akaneia stage found in the code of Melee or the cut characters found in the code for Brawl).
I don't understand the outcry for DLC.
In most cases developers are just selling you parts of the game that were finished but left out of the main release.
They do it for profit.
They know you'll still be playing the game even if they don't release a new map pack in a few months, they just take advantage.
In those cases they are quite simply using it wrong and abusing the DLC System, giving DLC itself a bad name when it was meant to be used to give the Players EXTRA content.
Nintendo has yet to do that. All of the DLC Content of Fire Emblem Awakening, New Super Mario Bros. 2/U, and Mario Golf: World Tour have been completely extra to the Full Experiences and Products of those games. It would be absolutely no different for Super Smash Bros, especially given how Sakurai said they'd finish the game before considering it.
Also, just because a game has 'enough' content doesn't mean it can't have additional content, particularly in regards to things the Super Smash Bros. Team didn't have time to finish before their deadline.
For instance, had DLC been able to be implemented into Super Smash Bros. Brawl, we could have seen the return of Mewtwo & Roy, Dr. Mario (Likely as a Costume, since Overalls Wario appears as his own character code-wise), and the introduction of Dixie Kong, Toon Zelda/Toon Sheik (likely Tetra), and Plusle & Minun (we believe). They were all found in the code for Super Smash Bros. Brawl after all, implying that Sakurai hadn't ended up having the time to complete them.
With DLC, any characters that they didn't have time to complete, they could release later as DLC, either Free due to being intended for inclusion or Paid due to the extra time and work required to complete them, so that then everything Sakurai had in mind for the game will have made it in.

That's actually the larger reason I want DLC to be included as I am nearly positive that there will be some characters, stages, or music slated to appear but cut due to time and could easily be completed in addition to DLC being utilized so that every previous Veteran can be brought back into the game to make the most complete Super Smash Bros. Roster possible (except Young Link since, lets be honest, Toon Link is just a re-named Young Link with an Updated Design).

ryuu seika

Smash Master
Two of the most exciting character additions for me are Little Mac and Robin and I may have held a Fire Emblem box once. That's how little I know them.
Fandom holds some sway for me but the moveset (or potential moveset) for a character is a far bigger deal. Likewise, which stages are in holds a lot of interest for me because they have a massive impact on gameplay. I'm not a Kirby main because I like his series.

HeavyLobster

Smash Champion
NNID
HeavyLobster43
It seems more important to note that he thinks DLC is something that should be started AFTER a game releases, and not something to make during a game's development to charge for separately.
Wouldn't it be nice if more developers thought this way?

Top Bottom