• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Do Smash Bros. fans even LIKE playing these games?

Boo_Destroyer

Smash Journeyman
Honestly, at any given time on any Smash board anywhere (not just here), all I see are topics about the characters and the roster. How many character slots will be on the select screen? Which character should be cut? What character will be revealed next? Come rate my roster...

Do people actually like playing the game? Or do they just want to marvel at the character select screen, and nothing more? Some even say they won't buy the game if a specific character isn't playable. Game modes, stages, items, ATs, enemies...It's like none of these even matter.

Do these people care about anything aside from the roster? Granted, the Nintendo crossover thing IS part of Smash's appeal, but there's a lot more to the game than just the characters.

LeeYawshee

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2621-3044-6895
I can't speak for everyone but I love Brawl simply because of everything you could do in it.

These games are going to be jam packed with content so characters are the last of my concerns.

I doubt anyone has my mindset here, tbh.

Last edited:

topspin1617

Smash Apprentice
NNID
topspin1617
3DS FC
0318-7760-0788
Of course we all love playing the game, but which characters we're allowed to enjoy the game as kind of takes precedence to most.

As you say, first and foremost Smash is about bringing together characters and locales from all over Nintendo's universe; it's only natural that's where we first look.

ndayday

stuck on a whole different plaaaanet
BRoomer
This is what happens during the speculation period.

AustarusIV

Chariffic
NNID
AustarusIV
3DS FC
1951-0995-8868
Switch FC
SW-2630-2447-9223
"Do Smash Bros. fans even LIKE playing these games?"

Yes.

pizzapie7

Smash Ace
Never understood all the character speculation hype. It's odd to see people treating the css as the most important part of the game.

TimeSmash

Smash Champion
NNID
nintend64
No. Typically Smashboards members do not look up or post things like frame data, character specific advanced techniques, combos, chaingrabs, kill moves, topics about a specific move in general, wavedashing, Melee, Brawl, N64 Smash, PM, RNG factors, easter eggs, trophies, classic mode, adventure mode, target tests, home run contests, boss battles, stages, music, hype, items, graphics, speed, jabs, throws, tilts, smashes, aerials, autocancelling, aerial move endlag, projectiles, disjointed hitboxes, hitboxes in general, hurtboxes, percentages, intros, unlockable things, Master Hand, Crazy Hand, Gamecube controllers, or really anything fun

A serious to the point answer would be yes, though.

Last edited:

Wyoming

Connery, Sean
Switch FC
7748-5364-3982
Pre-release, it's all about the hype. Who will be a playable character? Which series will be represented and how?

Smash IS technically a museum of Nintendo. Where characters from their favourite franchises can join up with others that they enjoy or may not know about. It's the hype train.

When the game is released, people will talk about the mechanics and the gameplay when they actually experience it themselves. While you can make observations about the gameplay pre-release let's just say it is easier to do when you have a feel of the game. That's my mindset anyway, granted I won't shy away from talking about the mechanics pre-release.

And besides, characters ARE the center of the attention either way - speculation or gameplay-wise - you cannot ignore them.

Last edited:

BridgesWithTurtles

Smash Champion
3DS FC
3523-2059-7939

I have well over 2000 hours on Brawl. Granted, a good portion of that is from leaving the game on for extended periods of time, but nonetheless, that is a lot of time wasted. And that's not even counting the similarly inordinate amount of time I've put into Melee and 64.

Also, this is all to be expected of the speculation period, as after the games release, 90% of users will leave their forums of choice forever, and play the game for another 6 years until speculation starts up again. We should also keep in mind that not every user discussing rosters and leaks and rumors are speculating on a near constant basis. Many of them have lives like everyone else, and may only visit a thread every now and then to make one or two small statements. The more active members keep such speculative discussion constantly within visibility, but that doesn't mean most Smash fans aren't spending more time playing the game. Not by a long shot.

Nielicus

Smash Lord
LMFAO why would we be fans if we didn't like em? Dafuq

Last edited:

Raijinken

Smash Master
Honestly, at any given time on any Smash board anywhere (not just here), all I see are topics about the characters and the roster. How many character slots will be on the select screen? Which character should be cut? What character will be revealed next? Come rate my roster...

Do people actually like playing the game? Or do they just want to marvel at the character select screen, and nothing more? Some even say they won't buy the game if a specific character isn't playable. Game modes, stages, items, ATs, enemies...It's like none of these even matter.

Do these people care about anything aside from the roster? Granted, the Nintendo crossover thing IS part of Smash's appeal, but there's a lot more to the game than just the characters.
I freaking love playing the game, but seeing as Smash4 isn't out yet, all I can do is speculate. That said, once I'm back at school and near friends again, I'll probably spend more time just playing PM instead of speculating and discussing aerial lag and stage viability.

Until the game is out and playable in a large number of hands, the hot topics are the things we can see.

It's easier to marvel at all the character portraits on the official site than it is to find off-screen gameplay and try to watch it frame by frame. The kind of conversation you want will be more plentiful when more people can actually play the game. So, forgive the fan base for not remarking much on things not very many of them had the chance to experience yet.

Last edited:

Luigi player

Smash Master
Obviously. Though if it weren't with the characters I know and like it wouldn't be fun for me. And obviously I want to be able to play the characters I like the most.

FalconSoup

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ShadowMetal
3DS FC
4511-0759-5924
Switch FC
SW 7216 6722 4029
It's just speculation. To make things short, if I didn't like playing the game, I wouldn't care for it, let alone play it anymore.

KokiriKory

BRoomer
BRoomer
NNID
kokirikory
3DS FC
2148-8224-6270
Hype is tangible mana sent down by Nintendo

Because I don't have the game in my hands right now, I will consume every scrap

Xermo

Smash Champion
NNID
SSBFC-Xerom
3DS FC
4425-1998-0670
You're absolutely right. I bought a gamecube and wii just so I could stare at the character select screen. I've been doing so for the past 13 years apparently.

The Slayer

RAWR!
NNID
Ren
3DS FC
1778-9825-9960
This is what happens during the speculation period.
Indeed. It's just always been like this when a new Smash Bros is announced and coming soon. High speculation of content entries of franchise representations to gameplay mechanics being viable for competition or not will bring a lot of non-positive comments all the time. At the end of the day, most people here do like/love Smash Bros. No matter how crappy things are in some parts of this board, don't let the idea that we are all here to crap on your favorite Smash game(s) and future ones without a good reason.

Last edited:

Banjo-Kazooie

Smash Ace
NNID
Burudiman
3DS FC
2492-5021-9705
Its called being passionated about something. Football fans also analize the snot outta the players on their favorite teams and threaten to stop going to see their games.
And that a videogame can cause such levels of passion, I think its awesome to teary eye levels.

AzureFlame4

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4811-6946-8468
I don't know, I actually feel the opposite that people are more worried about certain gameplay aspects for competitive play rather than just enjoying the game for what it is, which is a get together for all of your favorite Nintendo characters. That being said, the roster is a very important part of the game. Seeing that commercial way back when the first Smash came out showing you could fight as all of these different Nintendo characters blew my mind. Seeing them continue to add characters I care about is a pretty important aspect. Though the gameplay is obviously important now, just not as important since we don't have the game yet to analyze it and since we know the basics there just isn't much else to talk about.

D

Deleted member 245254

Out of curiosity can you link at least one example?

As far as I can tell I spend a great majority of my time here arguing about stages, ATs, and the definition of "competitive".

Are you just making something up to argue or accuse a group of people of?

Last edited by a moderator:

JabbatheHutt

The Kingpin of the Outer Rim
I think Smash Fans are meant to complain. Without complaining you don't have a smash fan base. Its like chickens clucking, its nature

Last edited:

Khao

Smash Lord
Can we play the game now?

Can we learn about how it's gonna feel in our hands?

Can we practice and figure out new strategies?

There's not much about actual gameplay to discuss when you haven't played the game (and if you actually bothered to look around, you'll see that the people who did get to play are talking about the gameplay a ****ing lot.)

So what do we know with 100% certainty, that will be relevant, and true information about the game no matter what happens? Other than graphics, the roster's pretty much the only thing, it's an exciting part of the game, and we can safely learn about it and experience it right now, and that is something we can't say about the playability.

Why would you expect a forum to talk about the gameplay of a game that most people have never played, and few that did just got an outdated demo? There's not much reason to talk about something you haven't experienced.

(And heck, I'm just deciding to ignore the fact that there's still plenty of talk about those things anyway, did you even try to look for these threads? 'Cause they're everywhere, dunno what you're talking about.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

It's just speculation. It'll end once the 3DS game is released, and we then get to see the full roster. It's always been that way... I suppose. xD

Last edited by a moderator:

proxibomb

Smash Clown
When I heard Brawl was coming out, I was hyped for what it had. I remember going on the internet to find fake rosters, getting pissed and excited for them. The content announced was absolutely glorious. I still remember the day I found out there would be 500+ trophies, I freaked.

Soul.

We're on the speculation period, which is about to end in about 38 days when Smash 3DS is released in Japan.
This happened with Brawl, so..yeah, we'll see the full character roster and then move on with the gameplay and stuff.

Hayzie

Smash Lord
NNID
Hayzie
3DS FC
5000-3322-4068
You're going to get every single positive & negative outlook on everything the Smash Bros. franchise has to offer in its entirety. You cannot dodge this. It is extremely popular and fans vary in age and tastes. We all want different things even if we agree on most of the things.

Personally, I trust Nintendo and Sakurai. Looking at other games from other developers, I can say 100% that there are always things I wanted in the game or done differently even when they do some great stuff. Still, nobody matches Nintendo's quality. I think it's safe to say Nintendo has been on a roll the past 2 years listening to fans and pumping out some premium ****. ;)

What I meant to say is, I'm sick of all the "competitive" threads. It has and always will be a competitive game no matter how dissatisfied one is with the game.

I am satisfied. Smash 4 is polished and isn't 'missing' anything. Melee air-dodging and physics can go to hell. Edge grabbing even when facing the opposite direction is great by me. If I can double jump IRL, I sure as heck can turn around and grab a ledge.

bkslider

Smash Journeyman
I play Melee/Brawl/PM for most of my free time, and mainly come on these boards when I can't stop thinking about Sm4sh. I desperately want Isaac, Ray MK III, and Ridley to be playable, so I say stuff about them often. However, the roster won't affect my decision to purchase the game; it was a done deal from day 1. I think most people complaining that they won't buy the game if ____ isn't included are just looking for attention.

If you are looking for some genuine sentiment about people's love for Smash Bros, there was an article on the home page a week or so ago called some thing like "Why I Love Smash", and that should give you an idea of how much everyone on these boards loves our game.

Last edited:

PK_Wonder

Smash Lord
Well, yes, of course they do.

It's just that the series wouldn't exist in the form we know it without a roster of beloved Nintendo characters representing various faucets in its history. The music, stages, items, assist trophies, and collectible trophies all represent this too, supported by easy-to-pick-up, but extremely intricate gameplay and a variety of modes to experience it with are all amazing as well. But it's a love for Nintendo characters that first draws the vast majority to the game - and before a new one releases, they campaign for their favorites.

Johnknight1

Upward and Forward, Positive and Persistent
NNID
Johnknight1
3DS FC
3540-0575-1486
I mean, you can kinda tell where people's priorities are by their posts.

Like when I talk characters, mannnnnn, I hone in on the gameplay and what the character can add to it via their movesets, skillsets, and playstyles.

In fact, the only reason I want characters is gameplay reasons. I don't even care about other reasons, as they're irrelevant to me.

I play Smash for the gameplay, and nothing more, after all. Characters are merely an extension of it to me.

However, for most the Smash 4 boards, gameplay is the last thing that matters with character choices.

Last edited:

Gameboi834

Smash Lord
NNID
Gameboi834
Everyone's talking about "the gameplay" when that's really only part of what the OP's point was about. About about 1-P mode? Events? Trophies? Thing of that ilk. There's more to Smash than just the multiplayer aspect, even if that does take presedence.

erico9001

You must find your own path to the future.
NNID
Erico9001
3DS FC
1091-8215-3292
Nope, in fact most of us haven't even played it. We just flock to these forums every 4-8 years as a center to place bets on which characters are going to get into this game that we actually don't really care about, kind of like Wall Street.:troll:

(this is a joke)

People put different amounts of money into different characters and once they do that they are put in the character's support list on the character's official thread. The rules are somewhat simple:
-If the character is playable then you win and get bonus money
-If the character makes it in but as an assist trophy or stage hazard you get 75% of your money back
-If the character does not fit this criteria you get nothing back

The amount of money you serve to earn by a character's inclusion into the game is derived from the character's 'chance rating' in the Rate Their Chances thread at the time you put in your money. Simply divide 100 by the percent chance that the character has been nominated for in order to see the multiplier. So for instance, if you were to place money on Shulk at the moment, with roughly an 85% chance on him, if Shulk was confirmed playable then you would receive only 1.18 times your input. On the other hand, if Chibi Robo makes it in, with a nominated 15% chance, Chibi-Robo supporters would receive 6.66 times their input.
However, anybody that supported Shulk back when he had a lower nominated chance would still have their original multipliers.

The thing with this is that the RTC thread isn't absolutely correct with the ratings that are given to characters. Your judgement may very well be correct over the RTC thread, since the RTC thread is just the average opinion. This makes things interesting. For example, a number of Ridley supporters believe that Ridley has a 100% chance at getting in the game, and that it was actually Ridley the character, jumping, that was seen in the Nintendo Direct. Having around a 50% chance in the RTC thread, if Ridley will be a character then all Ridley supporters would double their money. Many with slight doubts with his playability view it as worth the shot because they know that he is at least to be a stage hazard, and the losses wouldn't be that much.

This means if your judgement is above average, you have a high chance at profit.

[/joke]

Last edited:

JUr

Smash Journeyman
NNID
JorgeUr
3DS FC
4957-3388-8097
Yes, we do...

But now there are only scraps of info (significants but not sufficient) and the most near is the roster, followed for a grasp of gameplay from a demo...

So, speculation time, until september...

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm not a big fan of how each game so far slid squarely into offense or defense, but it's still good. I'm hoping SSB4 will finally fix the issue.

ChikoLad

Purple Boi
The reason why characters have been the focus of most discussions is because they are really the only part of the game that has been promoted that much by Sakurai and Nintendo. There has been a lot of Smash Run info though, and I'm hyped for that, but since it's 3DS exclusive, not many people want to talk about it since the 3DS boards are not nearly as active.

In regards to other modes, I've done a fair bit of speculation, and even have this dream game mode that I hope we get something like in the Wii U version:

...But there is only so much speculation we can make regarding most things besides the characters. Stages are pretty easy to figure out and most people are happy with whatever stages show up. And even stuff like Custom Equipment, Custom Moves, Amiibos, and the cross-compatibility have merely been teased. There isn't a lot of interesting speculation we can make.

The characters, however, have a lot of footage of them that we can analyse.

Last edited:

D-idara

Banned via Administration
NNID
D-idara
3DS FC
4511-0670-4622
Smash IS all about Nintendo's all-stars coming together, everything else is secondary.

Moon Monkey

Smash Hero
NNID
Mr.MoonMonkey
Switch FC
SW-0550-3588-6412

You....I'm following you.

Top Bottom