• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricTheGamerman

Smash Master
I would say this was also a big factor, and something that's gone understated in part due to the recent revisionist history we've been seeing with Smash 4 Speculation and early Ultimate Speculation.

The fact is that Geno had little to no fan support during Smash 4 Speculation and didn't really rise to prominence until after Ridley and K. Rool were already revealed, when people realized that 2/3s of Brawl's "Holy Trinity" had gotten in and started clamoring for the third. This was likely far too late for them to make any significant impact in regard to the roster, given that Pass 1 had already been decided and Pass 2 was pulled together from previous concepts and negotiations.

We know now that Ballot turnout was a huge consideration for characters in Ultimate, so Geno's relatively weak Ballot turnout probably hurt him far more than people say.
King K. Rool as a part of the holy trinity itself was a huge revision of Brawl speculation too. Geno just went out of style at the wrong time and the fans didn't pick back up until they got a bone thrown at them in Smash 4's end, but by then they also had the ballot and bigger plans for the future. It's just the worst case scenario of awful timing.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
-An actual Dr. Mario based stage
-Grassland Groove from DKC Tropical Freeze
-Sweet Mountain from Sonic Colors
-Sarasaland from Super Mario Land
-Bitlands from Super Paper Mario
-Spencer Mansion from Eternal Darkness
-World 4-S from Yoshi's Woolly World
Nice Sonic stage choice, and YOOOO ETERNAL DARKNESS. too bad the IP kinda died after SotE failed, we were lucky to get the Roivas spirit

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Yeah I've been kinda wondering if they'd do that.

I wouldn't like it, but honestly if it's the only way the missing 'big' games like Mario RPG, Earthbound, the Castlevanias, the Mega Mans, Rare's pre-N64 stuff (Battletoads, Snake Rattle N' Roll, Cobra Triangle, etc), and so on can come to NSO, then so be it.

The fact that we have to pay more for N64/Genesis is probably because Nintendo is trying to get bigger third party stuff on the service, which means they're gonna have to pay more for the licenses. Stuff like Microsoft's N64 Rare games, or well, Genesis as a whole, which includes games that are already on compilations like Contra Hard Corps or Castlevania Bloodlines.
It's not an ideal solution but I'd take it to just not receiving these games. Though ofc it would come down to price, since I do have other means of playing most of the games they'd bring. Whenever they update the NES and SNES library these days it's just kind of sad. But I suppose seeing Konami and Rare on board with some notable IP is a good sign.

Though they have no excuse for putting Earthbound in the higher tier, they'd just do it because they knew they could get away with it. :p

Unless the NSO expansion is like 5 bucks, I don't think I'm getting it. N64 and Genesis games just aren't a selling point for me.

GBA and DS... I'd be willing to pay an extra 10, maybe 20 a year for those.
I could never enjoy the DS games on the Wii U. The dual screen just doesn't work for me on consoles not made for it, and the Switch would probably be even more strained than the Wii U, considering that thing actually had dual screens.

I'd be all about the GBA though. Frankly we should've got GB/C and GBA a while back already.

Getting online play for a lot of old N64 games they haven't revealed yet might just sway me to try expansion pass. Playing friends in Diddy Kong Racing again would be a hell of a novelty.
This seems like the next likeliest Rare game we'll get. Either that or Tooie, I suppose. Not counting DK64.

This is making me think about the lost potential of stage DLC that we could've had in SSBU. I know that there's pleeeenty of stages in the game already but it was still nice to have it in Sm4sh. There's lots of games that could have followed the Super Mario Maker mold of promoting a new game. For example, a Mystery Dungeon stage would be dope and a great way to promote the PMD: Rescue Team DX remake. What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?
Well promotion-wise, like they did last time, you know we would've gotten a stage for Sw/Sh and New Horizons. Maybe stuff like Luigi's Mansion and Link's Awakening. I would hope we could've gotten stages from new worlds like Astral Chain and Ring Fit.

But last time they also brought back past stages as well, so any chance for Pac-Maze, Rainbow Road, or, if I can dream, the beautiful garbage of Poke Floats would've been great to see.

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
One potential reason is unfamiliarity and asking to get some info surrounding the characters and/or franchises, though as for the Geno thread, my only post was when El Hermano Gordo Forma Hielo made a post there about how upset he was that people didn't blindly believe him, thing is, if 95% of the post is quotes, chances are I'll get a tag, to which I popped up and said "Don't do that if you don't want drama". Got like 30 likes for that for some reason iirc
Damn, this man is still living rent-free. Someone should tell him he can save that money for his kid's college.

Also, a lot of people not a part of the Geno Thread liked posts that insulted him or Geno fans. If you go back over time, you will see that oodles and caboodles of folks from this thread and others would partake in the chaos the brewed in that thread from time to time, but when it was just Geno fans being Geno fans in that thread, everything was fine. Hell, the thread was basically up and down on being split over whether or not to listen to him BECAUSE of his mistakes and by the end of it members of that thread had beef with him.

Finally, it seems like you guys still don't really understand what was going on even though I already explained this: there was no echo chamber beyond the norm that any other support group who actually had a good chance, Geno fans weren't flat out attacking people from the beginning and they never really came into other threads to attack people other from what I saw, though I'll admit I could have missed that. What I didn't miss was at least once a week but sometimes nearly daily how someone from this thread or another support thread or GameFAQs had to come and screw with us, and this happened so much that we started treating everyone who wasn't a regular and came in with similar posts the same way. It's called conditioning.

There were a lot of environments where people were forced to engage with the Geno fanbase if they wanted to talk about other topics, such as when Geno fans came into the Newcomer thread to discuss the latest "leak" peddled by one of their "insiders" (it was typically just Cacomallow or some variation of it–hence why Cacomallow is such a joke among speculators) or the Seven Squares thread, where Geno fans bitterly attacked any character that wasn't Geno (being a Hero fan was very fun at the time).

I think another problem that's gone unmentioned is that trolls infiltrated the Geno fanbase playing as "insiders" with insider information, and in doing so played wolf in sheep's clothes–whether they intended to or not. Most people recognized this from the outset, which caused tension between the Geno fanbase–who vehemently defended trolls who told them what they wanted to hear–and other speculation groups–who saw the damage those trolls were doing and wished for a return to calmer minds prevailing. But this is a whole other issue that I'll write about more on a later day.

I won't go into more detail because it's all in the past and I don't want to dredge up past disputes, but it wasn't as nearly cut-and-dry as "trolls went into the Geno thread to do a bit of trollin'," though that unfortunately did happen multiple times over the course of speculation.
Actually it really is that simple: people came in and trolled us because of how loud we were about a niche character. When you are the biggest support thread on a Smash forum, these things happen. It would have happened to any other biggest support thread, and it would have gotten just as bad if they were around as niche. I also guarantee this happened to the likes of Ridley, Banjo and K. Rool threads as well as third-party threads over time, even if not on this site.

It's how the internet works.

As for fake leakers, we had a few, but the main issue was we started out with people who actually leaked stuff. Never forget Sabi first started on this site in the Geno Thread, this is sadly a fact. We also had xenother which I've never been too sure how credible he was, but he was around in the thread too. Also, and I KNOW y'all hate this, but the man sweeping the schools got stuff right too. He made mistakes and mentioned stuff he shouldn't have out of excitement, sure, but he brought real information more than once. Go back and read some of his posts some day, like his post about the September Direct.

I would say this was also a big factor, and something that's gone understated in part due to the recent revisionist history we've been seeing with Smash 4 Speculation and early Ultimate Speculation.

The fact is that Geno had little to no fan support during Smash 4 Speculation and didn't really rise to prominence until after Ridley and K. Rool were already revealed, when people realized that 2/3s of Brawl's "Holy Trinity" had gotten in and started clamoring for the third. This was likely far too late for them to make any significant impact in regard to the roster, given that Pass 1 had already been decided and Pass 2 was pulled together from previous concepts and negotiations.

We know now that Ballot turnout was a huge consideration for characters in Ultimate, so Geno's relatively weak Ballot turnout probably hurt him far more than people say.
I'm gonna admit something. This may sound weird but uh...

The moment I saw Krystal got offed as an assist trophy right when Ultimate was announced was honestly kinda the moment I figured the likes of Isaac and Geno were probably gonna suffer the same fate. I guess it's just because I've always viewed them all in the same light, popular Smash candidates but not really that popular if you catch my drift.

The funny thing is out of the three, Geno is probably the least significant one. At least Isaac was the main character of his debut game and appeared in the other two GS games, and at least Krystal was a reoccuring character in all of the Star Fox games released from 2002-2006. So if those two couldn't make it, as well as other "smaller" characters like Waluigi or Ashley who have at least continued to be reoccuring characters in their own series, then I kinda don't think a one-off party member from an over 20 year old game had a very good chance.

I think in a lot of ways, Geno is an example of just how "too small" a fan request can be.
People say Geno did poorly in the ballot, including Geno Fans.

Looks to see that Sakurai said he actually got a lot of support and that he gave us a costume because he couldn't get Geno.

So, are we saying Sakurai is a liar? Or are we implying that Geno got low votes in comparison to characters that were ALWAYS going to get more votes because they are reoccurring, mainstream-popular characters or characters from Nintendo's own library that were main characters when we were all growing up?

C'mon now, this seems like we either aren't paying attention or are being disingenuous.

If Geno did so poorly in the ballot, why did we get a costume of him instead of literally any other Square character. Could have got that Slime hat years earlier, or maybe even JUST the Chocobo hat with Cloud and nothing else. I get Sakurai had the question brought up to him, but why would he say Geno got a lot of support if he didn't? We also know Cloud got between 1/4 and 1/3 of all the FF-tied votes, so it's within the realm of possibility that Geno placed above characters in that series in the ballot. Remember that 2B didn't exist yet, and that Geno has always seemed to edge out being the biggest fan request from Square that wasn't Sora, something from FF7, or DQ.

And just to counter the argument before it shows up, even friends of mine bring up the 'If Sakurai wanted Geno, he would have put him in by now.' which is such a stupid thing to say. If you want something, does that mean you always get to have it right away? Especially things that have lots of problems to solves and priorities to deal with? Imagine Sakurai trying to make a game like Smash Ultimate and turning down Sora for Geno. How stupid would that be? Imagine what would happen when that eventually hit public information!

Even if Sakurai still means what he said, it doesn't change the fact that there are bigger names that have earned his attention first. He will get to Geno eventually: he's a character that has popped up ever since early polls in Japan back in the pre-Melee days and, through ups and downs, has still had request and demand for this long. We are riding with the other Smash OGs, and they made it in, so I have confidence he will too.

My real question is if 2B has made a big enough splash to consider her over Geno, or if she still hasn't quite reached FF and DQ levels.

Also shoutouts to that Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones guy for pointing out people acting as if other fans of long-running requests haven't had the same moments of weakness and people treating them poorly. History repeats itself, and it will only stop once these characters get in, with people back-pedaling and acting like they support them the whole time.

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
What stages would you all want the most in the game if you could add some?
I would prefer to divided by consoles:

NES: Always found strange that we didn’t get anything based on Super Mario Bros 3, likeBowser Airships or Castle.
SNES: Always wanted something related to Zelda ALTTP and a DK not based on the first DKC, use the 2nd or 3rd game.
N64: Really nothing I think now
Gamecube: Same as above, maybe something related to Chibi-Robo?
Wii: Kirby Epic Yarn should have get its own stage
WiiU: Super Mario 3D World, DK Tropical Freeze and Xenoblade X
GB/GBC: Wanted Super Mario Land stage like Dream Land. Something based on a location of Pokémon Gold/Silver.
GBA: Advance Wars should have get a stage. Golden Sun too if Isaac was a fighter.
NDS: Rhythm Heaven
3DS: Pokemon Sun/Moon
Switch (for future installment): Luigis Mansion 3, Ring Fit, Zelda BOTW2, Splatoon 3, Pokémon Sword/Shield and future Mario games.

Last edited:

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Love how you said this yet a few days ago you complained about how stupid it'd be if Sky was Sora's codename in game 😳
So I think this about the Starling thing, and I just have to say...

I was so mad when I heard about everything with that. A lot of people like to say I ride rode the custodian like kids ride a school bus, but honestly after that moment when I realized what he did I was very critical of anything he said and it helped re-awaken my stance of only believing leaks from people who are actually still 100% credible or just waiting until Nintendo reveals it.

Man, that was a frustrating time. I already hate birds, but this just added to the list of reasons.

EDIT: Someone mentioned Geno showing up in Chocobo GP and while I doubt this extremely heavily I would buy the game immediately if this were the case.

Never forget us Geno fans are mostly SMRPG fans who love this character the most out of all the original characters in the game. It's not just about Smash, it's about the companies involved bringing him back to life as well as the series.

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Ultimates Stages are probably one of the best represented aspects, yet there are still a few I’d like to see.

1. Courtroom - Ace Attorney
If we can’t get Nick as a fighter, I’d like a stage. Just a simple layout where each side of the stage randomly chooses a Prosecutor or Attorney to battle it out in the background. Also AA music would absolutely be banger in Smash.

2. The Underground -Undertale
Imagine a traveling stage going through Snowdin, Waterfall, Hotland, and ending in the Judgement Hall. Imagine that music as well. I just want more Undertale content.

This one is weird, but hear me out.

3. LSD Dream Emulator
Would probably be the most unique stage in the game. So many strange locals to fight through it’d be like Electroplankton on roids.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
While we're still on stages, i'm gonna repost my hypothetical stage passes. i'm starting with min min (the most recent), and you can follow the rabbit hole backwards from there.
Time to start Pass 2, featuring a slightly changed template!

This was easily the hardest pass to come up with stages for, simply because i had very little obvious stuff to go from. Salmon run is because of the Callie and Marie miis, Okami is because Capcom is generally playing nice and could feasibly get a stage, and ToWaD because Pokemon.

perhaps...

ForsakenM

Smash Lord
Just bring back Poke Floats. I will never ask for anything ever again.
I unironically support the return of Pokefloats.

However, I actually want ALL the stages to return. Every N64, Melee, Brawl and Smash 4 stage should be brought back. I don't care if they need updated or if they don't work the same like Miiverse, just bring them all back. My childhood was on Sector Z and I want to see it return dammit!

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
People say Geno did poorly in the ballot, including Geno Fans.

Looks to see that Sakurai said he actually got a lot of support and that he gave us a costume because he couldn't get Geno.

So, are we saying Sakurai is a liar? Or are we implying that Geno got low votes in comparison to characters that were ALWAYS going to get more votes because they are reoccurring, mainstream-popular characters or characters from Nintendo's own library that were main characters when we were all growing up?

C'mon now, this seems like we either aren't paying attention or are being disingenuous.
For the sake of things not devolving further I'll just agree to disagree with you on the Geno Thread issues, because we obviously have different perspectives and will probably never agree–which is completely valid and okay with me.

But I am curious as to where your source is about Geno performing well in the Ballot. I checked the Sephiroth video and Geno doesn't even get a mention as a Mii costume, nor do I believe Sakurai's remarked on the Geno costume's return in Ultimate. I may be wrong though, as I started checking out of speculation around that period. If I am, I'd love a source stating as such.

If you're referring to the 2016 Sakurai interview, Sakurai said this:
That’s right. He (Geno)’s very popular. When talking about older characters, Geno always gets a lot of requests. He didn’t appear as a fighter, but I was able to achieve something kind of close to that as a Mii Costume.
So, we know Geno "gets a lot of requests" and Sakurai's aware of that, but we don't know if Sakurai's referring to Ballot results specifically.

From the context of this interview (Sakurai previously mentions Brawl and how he wanted to add Geno) and the fact that Sakurai always makes it clear when he discusses Ballot results (and didn't honestly start doing so until Ultimate), I'd argue he isn't. Geno's a legacy request that's been around since the Brawl days, so Sakurai could be saying that Geno's gotten a lot of requests overall throughout speculation periods without remarking on his Ballot performance. It's too open to interpretation to make a decisive conclusion, and it's well within reason for Geno to underperform on the Ballot based on testimony and fan polls from the time.

People aren't saying that Geno isn't a popular request, because he is. What people are saying is that his popularity significantly lulled during the Ballot period, which we now know was the most important time for a character's fanbase to be active.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Know people say that Geno kind of got buried in Ultimate. He did, but I do think he can Rise again, as I actually think the Next Smash game will actually be more favorable towards him

-Ultimate Base game was so focused on Bring back Old Content, that the amount of New content suffered. If the Next Smash game isn't a Reboot (which to be honest, I definitely Don't think it will be), and we get most, if not all the Veterans back, along with alot of re-used assets, I think there is room for Alot more New content

-Geno would definitely fit better within Base roster than DLC. Perhaps DLC's need to Sell based on the Individual character was not good for Geno since he is such a Niche character, even if a very requested one. The Base roster though comes with the Whole game, so it's less risky to add niche characters in there, and I think Geno would benefit

-Perhaps Something that's SMRPG can happen in the coming years that is new

I feel like the Biggest Con about Ultimate I would give (besides kind of lackluster Single Player and Lackluster Online) is that so much of the New content in the game requires you to pay Extra money on top of the $60, since So many of the Unique characters and Stages are DLC

I feel the Next Smash game can go ahead and fix those problems and be even more Ultimate than Smash Ultimate is, and I think Geno can fit into that, as one of the New content we can get in Next Smash

--------------------------------------

For New Stages, I would want

-Bowser's Castle (He needs it)

-A Space related Sonic Stage, like Death Egg or Space Colony ark (Space stages are Iconic in Sonic)

-Five Nights at Freddy Stage (with Jumpscares)

-A Stage where it's Raining at Night (Something like the Top of the Tower of DMC3, where you fight Vergil the 1st time)

-Tetris or Puyo Puyo Stage (Both SSF2 and Crusade have this, it's time for Official Smash)

-The Courtroom (If they can't figure out how to add Phoenix to Smash, then they could the Law's quarters to Smash)

-Silent Hill (They'd never add in Pyramid Head, but they can at least add the Atmosphere)

-Dark Souls stage (Same thing here, If they don't want to add Dark Souls character, add the Atmosphere)

-Any Mortal Kombat Stage (Stage Transitions and/or Stage fatalities would be wicked, Bonus if it comes with Playable Scorpion and/or Sub-Zero)

Also I would like the Stages in this next Smash to be not as Dry in Mechanics. They don't have to be Crazy like some of Brawl's or Smash 4's stages. King of Fighters stadium is a perfect example of adding interesting Mechanics to a stage without being overbearing. I think the Stages recently have been kind of too simple in Structure

Firox

Smash Master
For the sake of things not devolving further I'll just agree to disagree with you on the Geno Thread issues, because we obviously have different perspectives and will probably never agree–which is completely valid and okay with me.

But I am curious as to where your source is about Geno performing well in the Ballot. I checked the Sephiroth video and Geno doesn't even get a mention as a Mii costume, nor do I believe he's remarked on the Geno costume's return in Ultimate. I may be wrong though, as I started checking out of speculation around that period. If I am, I'd love a source stating as such.
The interesting logic here is that you acknowledge the fact that we frankly don't know how well Geno did or didn't do in the ballot, yet I've been seeing tons of posts from you and others claiming that he straight-up did poorly. Do we have any actual evidence of a poor turnout or could his lack of inclusion have simply been a symptom of Nintendo/SE not seeing him as a strategic priority? I mean, the fact that he got a costume at all compared to a lot of other characters out there suggests he had to have had at least a noteworthy turnout. I feel that a lot of the "oh, guess nobody voted for him when it counted" statement is simply a biased assumption. That's not to say he was top 5 or anything, but my point is that if we don't know something, maybe it's better to simply acknowledge that fact instead of speculating about a fanbase's alleged shortcomings.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Geno thread stuff. Feel free to skip.

One can bring up the supposed equivalency to other characters and fanbases, but no other thread this time faced repeatedly getting locked just due to the fallout of the character not showing up at an event. That had nothing to do with detractors infiltrating the thread either. The previous time that happened was during 4 with Ridley. And as it was said, that thread wasn't just the recipient of raids or anything, several times people were quoted and thus summoned en masse into the thread because they had been called out within a tirade. And that behaviour lead to the instigator getting tempbanned, if I remember correctly.

Distilling the problems down solely to trolls and haters is a very selective picture to paint.

The detractors didn't create the increasingly untethered theories for you and make you believe them, and make you propagate them. No one ever came into the thread to instruct anyone to hang on to the claims of Fatman despite his obvious lack of credibility. No hater would try to get people to carry on like Geno was a foregone conclusion. What they did do is entrench both sides further in their beliefs, and cause each to polarize away from each other, which in the case of the Geno side, caused dismissal of the scrutiny these theories and claims were being met with, in part due to tribalism and in part because that scrutiny had been imbued with scorn and contempt, which distracted from the criticism's logical validity. On the other side, it caused people to unjustly generalize the entire fanbase to zealots and demagogues. Which was only one facet of things.

But it's not as one-sided as the Geno fanbase keeping well enough alone and being antagonized arbitrarily. Like I said in my previous post, there was far less acrimony in the decade and a half prior to things going off the rails, indicating it's not some innate hate for the Geno fandom. Even during the Grinch leak, things were less out of hand for that fanbase.

If someone had come into the K. Rool thread prior to his inclusion and contended all that the thread was standing for, and all they were putting out there, would they have been met with a torrent of likes? No, of course not. So it's not as simple as people "hating on the popular characters". There were unique factors at play.

The catalyst manifested internally first, under the guise of insider speculation, and then eventually seeped into the other parts of the Smash fandom, which exacerbated things. How do you think things would play out in the fanbase if one large support group refused to stop listening to HotGirlVideos? Poorly.

Now, other fanbases aren't pictures of purity and harmony, true enough, especially the big ones, and many of them had their own problems. The Isaac thread got lost in wayward theorizing, the Banjo and Steve fanbases got pretty hostile, some Waluigi fans reacted poorly to his deconfirmation, but none were on equal footing with the Geno thread in terms of just pure... trouble. I can expound on the shortcomings the others had, and the times they misbehaved, and I'm not trying to expunge those incidents from the record, but it would just be a lie to say it was on par with what transpired around Geno this time. Not to the same duration, not to the same extreme, not to the same fallout. The only thing even close was Ridley last time. But it still never peaked like this.

Last edited:

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
How is it "revisionist" to put K. Rool up with the "holy trinity" (that whole holy trinity thing is dumb anyway, but if we are playing that.)
Him and Banjo are probably tied as the longest-wanted fighters, period, assuming we stop the clock once the character gets in. Geno never caught on until after Brawl.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm dumb.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
How is it "revisionist" to put K. Rool up with the "holy trinity" (that whole holy trinity thing is dumb anyway, but if we are playing that.)
Him and Banjo are probably tied as the longest-wanted fighters, period, assuming we stop the clock once the character gets in. Geno never caught on until after Brawl.
K.Rool wasn't really a big want during Brawl times, that was Diddy. Once Diddy got in, then opinion started to shift toward Rool, but it never really took off until Smash 4.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
K.Rool wasn't really a big want during Brawl times, that was Diddy. Once Diddy got in, then opinion started to shift toward Rool, but it never really took off until Smash 4.
Well, now that Krud's in (that's the prototype name of K. Rool), does that mean we should expect a big heap of Dixie hype next game?

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
K. Rool took about ten years from getting off the ground popularity wise to getting included. Ridley took, well, over fifteen, considering his popularity dates back to Melee. If we're going to count start to finish and gloss over the long period of dormancy, Banjo took twenty years. Geno and Isaac are currently at least fifteen years and counting.

Again if you just look at the range and not the intensity, Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa and Travis all had their demand start during Brawl, and none of them are in yet. Sora was one, and we just got him. ****, people have wanted a second Sonic character since the first one got in.

K. Rool eventually got very popular, but he's definitely not the character that was wanted the longest.

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I can't count myself as Geno fan but out of respect for his fan base I'd be happy if he got in. I just... Well for one never even played smrpg and those who I know personally paint him as a minor character at best so it's like why? But being there's several "minor characters" that people want in smash that never really bothered me.

Regarding nso I think 5 bucks per system is fair... 5 for n64 5 for Genesis.... 5 for gba and 5 for gb/gbc.... That's 40 a year and sure I'll even go 10 for gcn make it an even 50.00

More than this seems like a ripoff tho

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
K. Rool took about ten years from getting off the ground popularity wise to getting included. Ridley took, well, over fifteen, considering his popularity dates back to Melee. If we're going to count start to finish and gloss over the long period of dormancy, Banjo took twenty years. Geno and Isaac are currently at least fifteen years and counting.

Again if you just look at the range and not the intensity, Bomberman, Ryu Hayabusa and Travis all had their demand start during Brawl, and none of them are in yet. Sora was one, and we just got him. ****, people have wanted a second Sonic character since the first one got in.

K. Rool eventually got very popular, but he's definitely not the character that was wanted the longest.
I agree with this, hence the edit. Not sure what got me saying that, really. I thought about it for ten seconds and yeah.

Firox

Smash Master
It's still funny looking back at Brawl times tbh.

Back then, Cloud was a "Never happening" character, was even meme'd to death to the point it got shouted out in the now infamous Brawl Taunts.
lol Hindsight is 20/20, especially when it comes to Smash.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
It's still funny looking back at Brawl times tbh.

Back then, Cloud was a "Never happening" character, was even meme'd to death to the point it got shouted out in the now infamous Brawl Taunts.
Feeling smug that when everyone was going "Cloud and Master Chief in Smash? lol that's r*******", or however people talked ten years ago, I was going "I wouldn't mind it tho", and eventually the fanbase caught up to me. :smirk::shades:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Like it's really weird we all singled out characters like Cloud back then when our first third party in Smash ever was Solid freaking Snake.

Shroob

Sup?
Like it's really weird we all singled out characters like Cloud back then when our first third party in Smash ever was Solid freaking Snake.
Something something "Cloud's a Sony character! Final Fantasy 7 was never on a Nintendo Console!"

This is the era where Megaman was too similar to Samus due to both having arm cannons, one can't expect competent thought.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Something something "Cloud's a Sony character! Final Fantasy 7 was never on a Nintendo Console!"

This is the era where Megaman was too similar to Samus due to both having arm cannons, one can't expect competent thought.
And by now you'd think people would learn that anything was possible smh
Some may have. Especially with the monumental brick that hit us that is Sora. But some are still like "Nah fam ___ will still never happen lol"

Last edited:

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I guess it can be said that people just saw Snake as some sort of weird one off, seemingly only included because Sakurai was buds with Kojima and the latter requested for his inclusion. The fact that Snake got cut the very next game, leaving only Sonic and a few other third party characters with a closer connection to Nintendo/Mario (Mega Man, Pac-Man, and then Ryu as DLC) further emphasized that notion.

In that sense, Cloud was a big wake up call and reminder that any popular video game character can get into Smash.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom