• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
There's always a point where a genre will have a moment of oversaturation. Platformers have. Beat'em-Ups have. Fighting games have. RPGs have. Horror/Survival games have. FPS especially have. And recently Battle Royales and Souls-likes have. It's just the nature of the market.
Yeah, but for some ****ing reason, people who adore platformere seem to conviniently forget about it and act confused as to who platformers aren't seen as the absolute biggest and best genre out there anymore

7NATOR

Smash Master
I Feel like this discourse is also ramping up because of the Poll between Euden and Crash in that character tournament on twitter. I don't know who won, but if Euden won, it starts to make sense that more discourse happening now

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
I Feel like this discourse is also ramping up because of the Poll between Euden and Crash in that character tournament on twitter. I don't know who won, but if Euden won, it starts to make sense that more discourse happening now
How much can a fanbase be so insecure against ****ing Euden of all people.

So no, I don't think that's it chef, I just think the Smash Fanbase decided to be a cry baby like month when we're close to a character reveal

Noipoi

Howdy!
Yeah, but for some ****ing reason, people who adore platformere seem to conviniently forget about it and act confused as to who platformers aren't seen as the absolute biggest and best genre out there anymore
Because Aero the Acrobat and Radical Rex were the peak of gaming as a medium.

If we could just get back to the Croc days, everything would be ok.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
Ironically the cause of this is oversaturation. People seem to forget just how many platformers there were back in the day and how oversaturated the market was, but those very people will gladly cry foul at JRPGs and FPS games being the new big hit instead
Early 2000's was like, here's a ****load of Sonic games, plenty of Mario games, the DKC games were ported plus Jungle Beat was a fun new take, Kirby got games, Castlevania had a bunch even if the PS2 games were more action oriented, we got two Metroids on GBA, Crash and Spyro were about quite a bit, Ratchet and Clank and Jak were new series even if Jak moved away eventually and then there's the smaller stuff like Ty and Tak that were abundant, and that's not getting into licensed games.

**** was as saturated as the shooter genre was in the 360/PS3 generation but it wasn't all 50 shades of grey and brown military propaganda **** so it wasn't as noticeable.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
After months of "Scrimblo Bimblo" posting ****ting on anyone who doesn't think Pyra is the best thing over, you all freak out over one or two memes making fun of people who have been spamming it non stop.

The equivalent of the school yard bully who cries to the teacher when the other kid finally punches back.

Paraster

Smash Lord
I'd say they're still going fairly strong... But the main focus is with indies, like Shovel Knight, Shantae, and A Hat In Time. Generally, the Smash fanbase tends to be rather hesitant around indies, so even if they're giving us a solid supply of platformers it doesn't really get counted when trying to find candidates people consider viable.
Is there any actual reason the fanbase treats indies this way? Or does everyone just assume all indies are guaranteed to be Mii costumes without any evidence of Sakurai willingly instating an arbitrary distinction like that?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
After months of "Scrimblo Bimblo" posting ****ting on anyone who doesn't think Pyra is the best thing over, you all freak out over one or two memes making fun of people who have been spamming it non stop.

The equivalent of the school yard bully who cries to the teacher when the other kid finally punches back.
Quote before disasters in 3...2....1

7NATOR

Smash Master
How much can a fanbase be so insecure against ****ing Euden of all people.

So no, I don't think that's it chef, I just think the Smash Fanbase decided to be a cry baby like month when we're close to a character reveal
I mean to be fair, Euden represents alot of aspects that people would hate in a character

-From an RPG (ARPG), and RPG getting alot of hate lately
-Uses a Sword
-Anime Aesthetic
-Would seem similar to another character on the roster (Being Fire Corrin)
-From a Mobile game
-Would likely be seen as a shill pick from Nintendo
-Not Iconic, Popular, or Requested characters, as seen by people

This is what I will find people would say against Euden. I think for some people, perhaps seeing Euden compete with, and potentially beat Crash in a poll (and the fact he even got as far as he did) committed an attack on their well-being

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Because Aero the Acrobat and Radical Rex were the peak of gaming as a medium.

If we could just get back to the Croc days, everything would be ok.
That's it Noi Boi every platformer will use tank controls from now on

This is ironic as **** as the whole thing only exists because some people could not handle more RPG characters leading them to trash the entire genre for nearly a decade and this topic was caused because one of those dumbasses acted like platformers have next to no content despite having the most characters in the game, leading people to call that out.

Also, sidenote, I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG purist in Smash conversations. They probably exist yet everyone here sick of platformer stans peddling their equivelant of "But what about Straight Pride or White Historu Month?" has shown that they want more characters from fighting games, beat em ups, VNs, FPS games, etc

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I have to say that the Twitter poll in question with Euden and Crash (that also feature Shantae & the Knight) is rather poorly phrased. It asks whom they think or hope is the next Smash fighter when it would be more practical to have two separate polls about which one they most want and which one they think is most likely.

Also, sidenote, I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG purist in Smash conversations. They probably exist yet everyone here sick of platformer stans peddling their equivelant of "But what about Straight Pride or White Historu Month?" has shown that they want more characters from fighting games, beat em ups, VNs, FPS games, etc
Quote before disasters in 3...2....1

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero

Not exactly, people have been ****ting on "generic anime swordsmen" longer than scrimblo bimblo has been a thing. At risk of literally arguing "no u", your schoolyard bully argument actually applies more toward the people who cried about like, Hero way back when.

For what it's worth, I don't even really play a lot of JRPGs and I've gone on record saying I don't particularly want more characters from either genre. So I'm not even telling you this as someone who is directly a fan of the characters we did get. The other side of this coin has been at it way longer than the JRPG fans who just got tired of getting hounded every time they got a character.

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
Keep in mind this is the same fan base who saw the Ugly-Steve meme and thought they were under attack from Minecraft fans. Never underestimate something as powerful as a persecution complex.
Remember how Jonesy was a lock because of Steve? And people had to prove they were REAL, ADULT gamers by doomposting about him as much as humanly possible for weeks?

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah at large there's more to it, but when you really get down to it as far as Smash goes there aren't really even that many viable platforming characters people could be alluding to. Crash, Rayman and Tails / Eggman really. The latter two pop up now and again but a lot of those obnoxious platformer vs JRPG smash tweets continue to use Crash as the figurehead.

I feel bad for the Crash fans who get caught in that crossfire because stuff like that invites even further conflict around the character.
This is what I recently said. There aren't really that many popular platformer characters left outside of Nintendo. So the available options will be smaller unless we start talking about the likes of Yooka Layle.
This isn't really the case for JRPGs and other genres, specially with Ultimate, which has basically opened the floodgates for a lot of series. Before people would have laughed at you if you suggested a Persona character.

And I feel bad for Crash as well, because he's one of my MWs. But even if I know I shouldn't, and that these people are a minority, I'm starting to kinda despise the Crash fanbase because of things like this.
I remember I was following a K. Rool support account on Twitter that seemed nice until Byleth got in and hoo boy. So I don't know if some platformer fans are legit pissed because they are realizing that now platformer characters aren't as likely as before for multiple reasons, so they kinda concentrate their discontent against JRPG/anime characters because they're an easy target thanks to Fire Emblem and the classic "anime bad".

I remember when Mega Man “died” and people blamed Capcom for killing the franchise, meanwhile it has been in decline because people were getting burned out of annualized releases and spin-offs. Turns out, it needed a hiatus.
Seriously. Maybe the hiatus was very long but back then there was a LOT of Mega Man games releasing close to each other. Granted, each subseries kinda appealed to different people, but it definitely was a problem in the long run.

It doesn't help that with the years, making videogames isn't as cheap as before, plus they now usually take more time to create. Once a game needs more benefits to justify sequels, you will start to think more carefully about what you should actually develop and therefore, less ideas will be greenlighted.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Smash fans recognize there'a more than 2 genres challenge.

Smash fans actually step outside of your comfort zone and play more games challenge.

Edit: To keep it on topic, people not stepping out is the reason why there seems to be a war between RPGs and Platformers. Bit tjere's thousands of genres out there. Play more games.

Last edited:

Louie G.

Smash Hero
I remember I was following a K. Rool support account on Twitter that seemed nice until Byleth got in and hoo boy. So I don't know if some platformer fans are legit pissed because they are realizing that now platformer characters aren't as likely as before for multiple reasons, so they kinda concentrate their discontent against JRPG/anime characters because they're an easy target thanks to Fire Emblem and the classic "anime bad".
Oh yeah, Kremling Kampaigner right? I used to follow them too but after they got K. Rool they just shifted toward other ways to act like DKC / Rareware was apparently being snubbed... like, complaining that Last Surprise was added in full and DK Rap was cut short. I agree that they didn't need to cut DK Rap like that but that sort of thing feels like they're just looking for reasons to complain. They just ended up really petty and whiny so I unfortunately had to unfollow.

After getting both K. Rool and Banjo, 90s platformer fans are honestly eating a lot better than these community posts would have you believe anyway.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Given how much a dork age Capcom was in around the time with a lot of their IP's, Mega Man fans might have dodged a bullet by not seeing 11 come out till 2018 anyway.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice

Smash fans actually step outside of your comfort zone and play more games challenge.
If this was said to a Fire Emblem fan that complained about not getting Edelgard and Hector the entire thread would be screaming at them right now.

Do you guys think that maybe all but a handful of DLC characters from both Smash 4 and Ultimate not being jrpg characters might've had something to do with it? You don't think that if most of the dlc was mascot platformer characters there'd be anime avatars complaining about that?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Oh yeah, Kremling Kampaigner right? I used to follow them too but after they got K. Rool they just shifted toward other ways to act like DKC / Rareware was apparently being snubbed... like, complaining that Last Surprise was added in full and DK Rap was cut short. I agree that they didn't need to cut DK Rap like that but that sort of thing feels like they're just looking for reasons to complain. They just ended up really petty and whiny so I unfortunately had to unfollow.

After getting both K. Rool and Banjo, 90s platformer fans are honestly eating a lot better than these community posts would have you believe anyway.
Ok but we don't have Conker in Smash who I didn't ask or care about until Banjo got in so Rare is dead, a husk of it's former self and no I don't want to buy Killer Instinct, Battletoads, Sea of Theives or the new Perfect Dark

Louie G.

Smash Hero
If this was said to a Fire Emblem fan that complained about not getting Edelgard and Hector the entire thread would be screaming at them right now.
Not really, it would actually come off as very entitled for a fan of FE of all franchises to pretend they're being mistreated. Which is why I've never really seen anyone do that, either. If they did and decided to shun all other kinds of games and target characters like Banjo and Steve people would call them out for it.

I'm unsure where people have gotten the idea that calling people out for being selfish and unreasonable means they hate Crash Bandicoot and want five more Fire Emblem characters. In fact if anything I'm frustrated at both sides of this debate for continuing to ignore every other kind of game.

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Not really, it would actually come off as very entitled for a fan of FE of all franchises to pretend they're being mistreated. Which is why I've never really seen anyone do that, either. If they did and decided to shun all other kinds of games and target characters like Banjo and Steve people would call them out for it.
They do this constantly what are you talking about?

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You see, what's really hilarious about this whole ordeal is that most of the people being toxic are just going to end up buying the damn DLC anyways.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Edit: To keep it on topic, people not stepping out is the reason why there seems to be a war between RPGs and Platformers. Bit tjere's thousands of genres out there. Play more games.
Embodiment of this I guess.

Last edited:

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

The Banjo account does that too and the owner of it is a colossal piece of ****.

You see, what's really hilarious about this whole ordeal is that most of the people being toxic are just going to end up buying the damn DLC anyways.
This implies they didn't already buy the pass

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So I guess to keep it honest: Aside from Crash and/or another Sonic character... who's left to add on the platforming side? Bubsy?
Depends on one's definition of prominent or semi-prominent platform characters, really. Some might claim Rayman, Dixie Kong, Shovel Knight, or even Sparkster would be legitimate picks. If you assume platform/puzzle/beat em up blends are valid, one could include Bandana Dee to that list as well. If you include Sony owned characters, the list gets bigger.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom