• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
They do this constantly what are you talking about?
Ah yes, the Fire Emblem fan who complains we didn't get Edelgard in addition to Byleth. I have never seen this before.

Dislking Banjo and Steve, sure. People are welcome to have their own tastes just like how you made it clear you don't like Pyra very much from your initial post. Blaming Banjo and Steve for getting in over their MW is another story and if people were to do that, at least on Smashboards, they would promptly be called out for it. But I digress, you'll likely continue to believe what you want to believe so I'm not really gonna bother.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I love Rayman with all my heart.

But a Rabbid would be hilarious.
Rabbid is easily my most preferred Ubisoft rep. That said, I was happy they got costumes, but I wish they were full ones. Nothing like attacking with a plunger as a swordsman~

spicynun

Smash Journeyman
Also, sidenote, I don't think I've ever seen a JRPG purist in Smash conversations. They probably exist yet everyone here sick of platformer stans peddling their equivelant of "But what about Straight Pride or White Historu Month?" has shown that they want more characters from fighting games, beat em ups, VNs, FPS games, etc
Is this implying that fans of other genres are oppressed? Seriously what is this take, it's just a video game genre.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Embodiment of this I guess.

Lmao this dude is clearly just doing this for clout considering they pulled the same **** they're mocking
The Banjo account does that too and the owner of it is a colossal piece of ****.
I remember the owner of that accoint having an absolute meltdown about anime sword fighters when we first heard about Brave 2 years ago. It's genuinely amazing Scrimblo Bimblo happened 6 years after that behaivour became all too common lmao

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
After months of "Scrimblo Bimblo" posting ****ting on anyone who doesn't think Pyra is the best thing over, you all freak out over one or two memes making fun of people who have been spamming it non stop.

The equivalent of the school yard bully who cries to the teacher when the other kid finally punches back.
Actually this is a more accurate schoolyard comparison
1623001926585.png

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Ah yes, the Fire Emblem fan who complains we didn't get Edelgard in addition to Byleth. I have never seen this before.

Dislking Banjo and Steve, sure. People are welcome to have their own tastes just like how you made it clear you don't like Pyra very much from your initial post. Blaming Banjo and Steve for getting in over their MW is another story and if people were to do that, at least on Smashboards, they would promptly be called out for it. But I digress, you'll likely continue to believe what you want to believe so I'm not really gonna bother.
It's amazing to me how you all can easily see one post criticizing the oversaturation of jrpg characters but you don't notice the "oh woe is me as a fire emblem fan because i dont have an axe user" And I know if I posted that one twitter post with 16,000 likes complaining that Lyn isnt playable it somehow "wouldnt count"

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804

The only FE complaints from FE fans are that the current crop of characters don't rep certain aspects of the series too well or that some would have preferred a different FE character to the FE character we actually got.

It's not "Oh I wish Steve was actually Edelgard instead"
It's "Oh I wish we got Edelgard instead of Byleth"
And even that isn't all too common really

There's a ton of projection going on

BlondeLombax

Smash Master

I actually have a really big soft spot for the Rabbids, so I’d be all for that. Helps that I only ever played Rayman Arena (known as Rayman M to you Europeans) before the original Raving Rabbids came out, so I had no vendetta to speak of.

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Oh yeah, Kremling Kampaigner right? I used to follow them too but after they got K. Rool they just shifted toward other ways to act like DKC / Rareware was apparently being snubbed... like, complaining that Last Surprise was added in full and DK Rap was cut short. I agree that they didn't need to cut DK Rap like that but that sort of thing feels like they're just looking for reasons to complain. They just ended up really petty and whiny so I unfortunately had to unfollow.

After getting both K. Rool and Banjo, 90s platformer fans are honestly eating a lot better than these community posts would have you believe anyway.
Yep. That one. For a moment I wasn't sure if it was a K. Rool support account or a Banjo one because I remember having a similar experience with the latter one, unfortunately.

Like, all of this drama would at least be more understandable if FPS/puzzle/visual novel fans were complaining about RPGs and platformer characters. But that hasn't been the case.

Not to say, it's very hypocrite for the dude who made the tweet people posted before to include most if not all JRPG characters in the video. Like... Why are you including Cloud, Marth or Shulk, when these characters have been around for years at this point? Why is he conveniently not including some of the platformer/cartoony characters Smash already has? Because that way the video kinda depicts the situation like if Smash was all about JRPGs except for Mario and Kirby lol.

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
The only FE complaints from FE fans are that the current crop of characters don't rep certain aspects of the series too well or that some would have preferred a different FE character to the FE character we actually got.

It's not "Oh I wish Steve was actually Edelgard instead"
It's "Oh I wish we got Edelgard instead of Byleth"
And even that isn't all too common really

There's a ton of projection going on
Yeah this goes to show you guys have no issue with any of the attitudes shown in discussions, just that they're not in favor of anime jrpg characters.

If I came in this thread with an anime pic and suggested public execution of anyone who didnt like Pyra you'd all agree with me.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
It's amazing to me how you all can easily see one post criticizing the oversaturation of jrpg characters but you don't notice the "oh woe is me as a fire emblem fan because i dont have an axe user" And I know if I posted that one twitter post with 16,000 likes complaining that Lyn isnt playable it somehow "wouldnt count"
Wanting a character you like in a serie, and being sad that they weren't choosen as the rep fo the serie entilted that Fire Emblem needs more character and **** platformers.

Dude, the hell are you on?

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Twitter has made this speculation cycle 1000% more unbearable.

These days, you can't go a goddamn week without some chuckle**** posting the 34446675536437577th Epic Funny Meme about how either A. JRPGs suck and are bad, or B. Smash fans suck and are bad and hate anything that isn't a scrimblo. It is so insufferable. I'm so ****ing tired of this cycle where some clout-chasing asshole flings **** at people cause it makes them feel superior, said ****-flinging gets shared around everywhere, and the post ends up setting off yet another pointless fandom argument! FUN!

My god, please, I just want all these people to stop. "But JRPGs keep getting all these characters and platformers don't get anyth-" I don't care. "But platformer fans started this whole argument, we're just fighting bac-" I don't care. Either way, no matter whatever way any of these people try to frame themselves as the oppressed crowd, I don't give a ****. Shut up. PLEASE.

"Well then just don't go on Twitter then-" Guess what, I don't! But every damn time this **** happens, someone always feels the need to bring the discourse over here, making all this stupid **** bleed over into a place I actually enjoy being in! LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOO-

Listen, I don't have anything against most of you, most of y'all are fine folks, but my god, I'm so sick of this. Twitter has near-completely destroyed my enjoyment of Smash speculation because this hellish circlejerk has now become its centerpiece. I'm so tired of the constant cycle of some jackass dividing this community even further because they think they're a comedic genius. I'm so tired of how the fans of countless great characters from other genres are ignored in favor of this idiotic dichotomy. I'm so tired that no matter how much I avoid Twitter, this toxic bull**** ends up invading SB anyway. I'm tired.

Frankly I never really agreed with the call for Ultimate to just end already, I've always been more of a "nah this is fun as hell, I'm down for more DLC" type", but after this? Part of me is starting to want it to already end too. Because christ, this is starting to seriously affect my enjoyment of something I love. So for these final 2, I hope we get some cool ****. Even if I don't care for most of them, a biggun would be nice just for making a lotta people happy, I'd love a Terry equivalent, these are always really fun, maybe a cool first-party? But if we miraculously get a pass 3, although I'd enjoy more Smash, I think I'd have to shut myself off from the larger community and stay in smaller, more sensible circles. But then again, what's it matter when this stupid **** spreads like wildfire, making itself nearly inescapable anyway?

Point is, **** Smash Twitter. Have a good day.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
You would just say "hmmmmm how can you say they're bad if you haven't played as them?" There's no winning.
I mean, yeah, if I want an informed opinion, it typically helps to have prior experience with something.

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion
I actually have a really big soft spot for the Rabbids, so I’d be all for that. Helps that I only ever played Rayman Arena (known as Rayman M to you Europeans) before the original Raving Rabbids came out, so I had no vendetta to speak of.
If we could get some Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle action going on that would be great.
Either that for wait for Smash 6 when "Nintendo + Rabbids" becomes a series and we can include all the Nintendo-based Rabbids as alts and such

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Is this implying that fans of other genres are oppressed? Seriously what is this take, it's just a video game genre.
The point is that part of the majority group act like they're oppressed when they're not the entire target audience

Honestly I don't get the Rabbid hatred from hardcore Rayman fans when it's obvious Michelle Ancel was the main guy behind Rayman. It's like how Banjo stans blame Microsoft for killing Banjo when Rare had total freedom over Nuts and Bolts

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Wanting a character you like in a serie, and being sad that they weren't choosen as the rep fo the serie entilted that Fire Emblem needs more character and **** platformers.

Dude, the hell are you on?
Wanting a non jrpg character for once = entitlement

Wanting another FE character despite getting them constantly since 4 = not entitlement!

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
I will say on the plus side between the not entirely fair generalizations, mocking strawman statements, and general veiled frustration about which kind of fans is truly being favored in a game/series is getting me really nostalgic for my days on Sonic forums.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
I'll say this..

JRPGs as a whole are well repped
It's not necessary imo, but repping RPGs of other origins would be nice

WRPGs, anyone?

Noipoi

Howdy!
Honestly I don't get the Rabbid hatred from hardcore Rayman fans when it's obvious Michelle Ancel was the main guy behind Rayman. It's like how Banjo stans blame Microsoft for killing Banjo when Rare had total freedom over Nuts and Bolts
It’s just cuz Rayman was dead for a while and the Rabbids took over. I think if Rayman was still active while the Rabbids became their own brand, there wouldn’t be any animosity.

And Microsoft is sitting on free money everyday they don’t get another studio to remake Banjo Kazooie.

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Tbh, I never understood the complaints about too many RPGs as if RPGs aren't the most popular genre out there that not game named Minecraft.

Like, do y'all realize how huge MMOs alone are? Dragon Quest is straight up a part of culture in a major country. Pokemon has been taking over the world by storm since the 90s. Like, there's a reason why there's so many RPG characters.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719

These days, you can't go a goddamn week without some chuckle** posting the 34446675536437577th Epic Funny Meme about how either A. JRPGs suck and are bad, or B. Smash fans suck and are bad and hate anything that isn't a scrimblo. It is so insufferable. I'm so ***ing tired of this cycle where some clout-chasing asshole flings * at people cause it makes them feel superior, said ****-flinging gets shared around everywhere, and the post ends up setting off yet another pointless fandom argument! FUN!

My god, please, I just want all these people to stop. "But JRPGs keep getting all these characters and platformers don't get anyth-" I don't care. "But platformer fans started this whole argument, we're just fighting bac-" I don't care. Either way, no matter whatever way any of these people try to frame themselves as the oppressed crowd, I don't give a ****. Shut up. PLEASE.

"Well then just don't go on Twitter then-" Guess what, I don't! But every damn time this ** happens, someone always feels the need to bring the discourse over here, making all this stupid ** bleed over into a place I actually enjoy being in! LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOO-

Listen, I don't have anything against most of you, most of y'all are fine folks, but my god, I'm so sick of this. Twitter has near-completely destroyed my enjoyment of Smash speculation because this hellish circlejerk has now become its centerpiece. I'm so tired of the constant cycle of some jackass dividing this community even further because they think they're a comedic genius. I'm so tired of how the fans of countless great characters from other genres are ignored in favor of this idiotic dichotomy. I'm so tired that no matter how much I avoid Twitter, this toxic bull**** ends up invading SB anyway. I'm tired.

Frankly I never really agreed with the call for Ultimate to just end already, I've always been more of a "nah this is fun as hell, I'm down for more DLC" type", but after this? Part of me is starting to want it to already end too. Because christ, this is starting to seriously affect my enjoyment of something I love. So for these final 2, I hope we get some cool *. Even if I don't care for most of them, a biggun would be nice just for making a lotta people happy, I'd love a Terry equivalent, these are always really fun, maybe a cool first-party? But if we miraculously get a pass 3, although I'd enjoy more Smash, I think I'd have to shut myself off from the larger community and stay in smaller, more sensible circles. But then again, what's it matter when this stupid * spreads like wildfire, making itself nearly inescapable anyway?

There are many, many, many reasons why I want to see a mass migration from Twitter to...tons of other sites that aren't Twitter. How unbearable Smash Twitter can be is one of them.

Louie G.

Smash Hero
Yeah this goes to show you guys have no issue with any of the attitudes shown in discussions, just that they're not in favor of anime jrpg characters.
This might blow your mind - I actually agree that DLC has been heavily skewed toward JRPGs and wish that was not the case, because it doesn't reflect my personal tastes. But I can still see how immature and petty people are being about it by complaining that platformers, of all genres (the one that has the most 'representation' in Smash) is the one being squandered and mistreated by the oversaturation of JRPGs.

Several of the characters I want are from puzzle games, rhythm games, horror, FPS... these are not the characters who become the focus of these arguments. Instead the attention is placed on characters from a style of game that has historically always been favored and isn't even at any lack of content in Ultimate. These people complain about JRPGs all day yet only will give attention to one other type of game that only has a handful of viable characters left to select from. It's not even subtle that most of this boils down to "my MW isn't in" and less so any legitimate concern about a diverse spread of characters.

Last edited:

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Tbh, I never understood the complaints about too many RPGs as if RPGs aren't the most popular genre out there that not game named Minecraft.

Like, do y'all realize how huge MMOs alone are? Dragon Quest is straight up a part of culture in a major country. Pokemon has been taking over the world by storm since the 90s. Like, there's a reason why there's so many RPG characters.
Not a single one of the best selling Switch games has been an anime styled JRPG besides pokemon. By this logic we should have at least one FPS character but that doesn't count for some reason.

Last edited:

MamaLuigi123456

Smash Champion

Wanting another FE character despite getting them constantly since 4 = not entitlement!
Requesting a character from a series you like, be it because you're a fan of the character, the series, the genre, their potential playstyle, or whatever the case may be = not entitlement

Doing what you're doing and flinging **** at others for liking/wanting characters you don't agree with = entitlement!

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Anyways the opening video for Guilty Gear Strive came out today so I'm once again shilling the series and Sol Badguy in Smash. But seriously, very cool opening:

Also: he's anime, he's a fighting game character and as a weapon uses something that would probably look and treated as a sword by the community. So I'm sure Smash fans would enjoy him and not complain at all if by some miracle he manages to be one of our remaining characters :4pacman:

TheMightyP

Smash Obsessed
Not a single one of the best selling Switch games has been an anime styled JRPG besides pokemon. By this logic we should have at least one FPS character but that doesn't count for some reason.
Is SwSh not one if the best selling games on the system?

Also, hell yeah get an FPS character in the game

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
So I guess to keep it honest: Aside from Crash and/or another Sonic character... who's left to add on the platforming side? Bubsy?
Ryu hayabusa and Rayman and Alex Kidd
I mean to be fair, Euden represents alot of aspects that people would hate in a character

-From an RPG (ARPG), and RPG getting alot of hate lately
-Uses a Sword
-Anime Aesthetic
-Would seem similar to another character on the roster (Being Fire Corrin)
-From a Mobile game
-Would likely be seen as a shill pick from Nintendo
-Not Iconic, Popular, or Requested characters, as seen by people

This is what I will find people would say against Euden. I think for some people, perhaps seeing Euden compete with, and potentially beat Crash in a poll (and the fact he even got as far as he did) committed an attack on their well-being
Euden is basically the result of Shulk and Corrin getting married and having a child. i can imagine the amount of backlash he is going to get if he gets announced as DLC.

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Twitter's a storm of it's own.

Don't forget YouTube. :/

A certain millennial by the name of ConnorEatsPants, for instance...
Dude wouldn't stop complaining about non-platformer and non-Steve characters.
During the Steve reveal trailer he goes "finally a real gaming icon in smash bros" like bruh Terry, Hero, etc. are right there

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
This might blow your mind - I actually agree that DLC has been heavily skewed toward JRPGs and wish that was not the case, because it doesn't reflect my personal tastes. But I can still see how immature and petty people are being about it by complaining that platformers, of all genres (the one that has the most 'representation' in Smash) is the one being squandered and mistreated by the oversaturation of JRPGs.

Several of the characters I want are from puzzle games, rhythm games, horror, FPS... these are not the characters who become the focus of these arguments. Instead the attention is placed on characters from a style of game that has historically always been favored and isn't even at any lack of content in Ultimate.
Almost like it might have something to do with JRPG fans targeting those specifically!

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
There are many, many, many reasons why I want to see a mass migration from Twitter to...tons of other sites that aren't Twitter. How unbearable Smash Twitter can be is one of them.
That just takes the insufferable idiots from one place and puts them somewhere else.
And unless that other place is somewhere easily avoidable like 4chan, that's a no from me.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Anyways the opening video for Guilty Gear Strive came out today so I'm once again shilling the series and Sol Badguy in Smash. But seriously, very cool opening:

Also: he's anime, he's a fighting game character and as a weapon uses something that would probably look and treated as a sword by the community. So I'm sure Smash fans would enjoy him and not complain at all if by some miracle he manages to be one of our remaining characters :4pacman:
That thumbnail leading to what looks like a double DI alone should sell people on Guilty Gear, anyone who isn't sold on Sol simply has bad taste, Sakurai told me so

Yacobo

Smash Apprentice
Is SwSh not one if the best selling games on the system?

Also, hell yeah get an FPS character in the game
Yeah and "popular" games like Xenoblade 2 and Three Houses combined haven't sold as much as Luigi's Mansion 3 for example. Which is why the popularity argument is a bad one when defending the latest jrpg shill character.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master

These days, you can't go a goddamn week without some chuckle** posting the 34446675536437577th Epic Funny Meme about how either A. JRPGs suck and are bad, or B. Smash fans suck and are bad and hate anything that isn't a scrimblo. It is so insufferable. I'm so ***ing tired of this cycle where some clout-chasing asshole flings * at people cause it makes them feel superior, said ****-flinging gets shared around everywhere, and the post ends up setting off yet another pointless fandom argument! FUN!

"Well then just don't go on Twitter then-" Guess what, I don't! But every damn time this ** happens, someone always feels the need to bring the discourse over here, making all this stupid ** bleed over into a place I actually enjoy being in! LET'S ****ING GOOOOOOOOO-

Frankly I never really agreed with the call for Ultimate to just end already, I've always been more of a "nah this is fun as hell, I'm down for more DLC" type", but after this? Part of me is starting to want it to already end too. Because christ, this is starting to seriously affect my enjoyment of something I love. So for these final 2, I hope we get some cool *. Even if I don't care for most of them, a biggun would be nice just for making a lotta people happy, I'd love a Terry equivalent, these are always really fun, maybe a cool first-party? But if we miraculously get a pass 3, although I'd enjoy more Smash, I think I'd have to shut myself off from the larger community and stay in smaller, more sensible circles. But then again, what's it matter when this stupid * spreads like wildfire, making itself nearly inescapable anyway?

Honestly, every time it happens, I get the feeling I'm back in ******* high school.

What makes it worse is how childishly vindictive people are. No, it doesn't matter who started it, someone else being an ass to you doesn't excuse you being an ass to others. Someone has to be the better person, or else it never ******* stops.

Anyway, I wonder if we're getting one last new Spirit event before E3? This Tuesday is the last before the presentation, no?

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Yeah, **** Xenoblade and Threehouses, you know, threehouses, the game that was voted BY THE PUBLIC game of the year at the game awards, when the journalist left it out from the running.
They're totally not in the top 30 best selling games on switch, right?

Slime Scholar

Smash Apprentice

Your issue here is that you seem to think this about what characters people want and not their ****ty attitudes, which is the actual problem. If you actually read, nobody’s complaining about platformer characters or calling the people who want them entitled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom