• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
How would the 9 votes work? Tracking by IP or MAC address? Cause using different devices is hard to prevent
I think C chocolatejr9 has the right idea with tying it to a specific Nintendo account. Register your copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to your Nintendo account, then spend your 9 votes wherever and whenever you'd like using whatever devices are most convenient to you.

Obviously, you would get one ballot per copy of the game and Nintendo account, so you can't just create a bunch of accounts to stuff the ballot box over and over again. I suppose someone could buy additional copies of Smash Bros. Ultimate AND make new accounts if they really wanted to fortify Gex's chances or whatever, but you wouldn't be able to really tilt the needle in any meaningful direction without investing a stupidly high amount of money in this endeavor.

The last ballot made it clear that it'd be used for future installments so I really don't see the need to make that point any more clear, but as for the second and third points, they feel contradictory, you want to oppose botting but let people who live by themselves/are the only Smash fans in a household get more votes than people who'd end up sharing votes?
It's true that the last ballot also mentioned that the data would be used for future projects rather than Smash for Wii U/3DS, but I also saw a lot of people who missed this point and got upset that the ballot didn't impact the entire direction of that game's DLC. I think really hammering it in that the results of the ballot will not come to fruition for a while is still important. It's kind of like how Ultimate really emphasizes that the clones are largely extras that don't take development resources by branding them echo fighters. This wasn't new information, but it was much more clearly communicated to the general audience this time.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your point about the second and third rule feeling contradictory. Rule #2 is a security measure to ensure that people don't just write programs to ensure their favourites get continual and consistent votes. Rule #3 is to prevent scenarios where voters choose who they think has the best chance of realistically winning rather than who they would most like to see. Its purpose isn't to really provide individual votes for multiple users of the same copy as it is to ensure that voters don't self-censor. Both rules are in place to ensure that the results legitimately reflect the player base's genuine desires.

I will admit, I don't really see a way to allow multiple users on the same console to get all 9 votes that doesn't come with some major drawback. Creating Nintendo accounts is free and relatively easy, so tying suffrage to that would really just be the anarchy of the first ballot with an extra step. Likewise, as Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura mentioned, tying suffrage to an IP address privileges those with multiple devices. I suppose the next best solution would be manually registering voters like in a real election, but that kind of becomes a logistical nightmare when you consider that people will be voting out of numerous countries with numerous languages and Nintendo still wouldn't have a way of verifying that everyone is going only once without doing something crazy like asking for ID.

So, it's definitely far from a perfect system, but I still think it is (broadly speaking) the best option available.

Last edited:

7NATOR

Smash Master
I imagine those being top of this new ballot notably bring Waluigi, Sora, Lloyd, and Geno.
If I had to give my thoughts on how a New ballot would turn out, here are it

-Iconic, Western I.Ps are probably gonna dominate the poll. Master Chief, Crash, Doomguy, TF2, Rayman, Mortal Kombat, Fortnite, etc. this is especially since Smash sells much more in the West (Including North America and Europe) than in the East (Japan)
-Sora is gonna be top
-Dante, Monster Hunter, Resident Evil will probably be up there. Probably Phoenix too
-2B is gonna do good
-Lloyd and Tales of as a whole might do good, but I'm not sure on them being top
-Geno might actually fall. unless there's something SMRPG related, I think after everything that's happened, and more competetion entering the fray, he might get overshadowed this time. I still think he's gonna do good
-Indies may or may not do better. the fact Indie content got such an upgrade compared to Smash 4 will give more votes to Indies, but there being so many big fish in the sea compared to Smash 4 ballot discussion might siphon votes. Indies though I say are bigger than back then also
-Sonic as a franchise is gonna do really good on the ballot. Eggman, Tails, Shadow, & Knuckles will all do good on the ballot
-Waluigi is definitely gonna be top. Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong, Zelda characters, and maybe some of the Newer I.Ps like Astral Chain and Ring Fit will do good

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I think C chocolatejr9 has the right idea with tying it to a specific Nintendo account. Register your copy of Super Smash Bros. Ultimate to your Nintendo account, then spend your 9 votes wherever and whenever you'd like using whatever devices are most convenient to you.

Obviously, you would get one ballot per copy of the game and Nintendo account, so you can't just create a bunch of accounts to stuff the ballot box over and over again. I suppose someone could buy additional copies of Smash Bros. Ultimate AND make new accounts if they really wanted to fortify Gex's chances or whatever, but you wouldn't be able to really tilt the needle in any meaningful direction without investing a stupidly high amount of money in this endeavor.

It's true that the last ballot also mentioned that the data would be used for future projects rather than Smash for Wii U/3DS, but I also saw a lot of people who missed this point and got upset that the ballot didn't impact the entire direction of that game's DLC. I think really hammering it in that the results of the ballot will not come to fruition for a while is still important. It's kind of like how Ultimate really emphasizes that the clones are largely extras that don't take development resources by branding them echo fighters. This wasn't new information, but it was much more clearly communicated to the general audience this time.

I'm not entirely sure I understand your point about the second and third rule feeling contradictory. Rule #2 is a security measure to ensure that people don't just write programs to ensure their favourites get continual and consistent votes. Rule #3 is to prevent scenarios where voters choose who they think has the best chance of realistically winning rather than who they would most like to see. Its purpose isn't to really provide individual votes for multiple users of the same copy as it is to ensure that voters don't self-censor. Both rules are in place to ensure that the results legitimately reflect the player base's genuine desires.

I will admit, I don't really see a way to allow multiple users on the same console to get all 9 votes that doesn't come with some major drawback. Creating Nintendo accounts is free and relatively easy, so tying suffrage to that would really just be the anarchy of the first ballot with an extra step. Likewise, as Rie Sonomura Rie Sonomura mentioned, tying suffrage to an IP address privileges those with multiple devices. I suppose the next best solution would be manually registering voters like in a real election, but that kind of becomes a logistical nightmare when you consider that people will be voting out of numerous countries with numerous languages and Nintendo still wouldn't have a way of verifying that everyone is going only once without doing something crazy like asking for ID.

So, it's definitely far from a perfect system, but I still think it is (broadly speaking) the best option available.
If people get upset by missing something they were outright told, that's their fault, not the company telling them. Like for example the people expecting 7 characters after Sakurai said "Hey we showed too much so keep expectations low".

The point of the security is to prevent people voting more than intended, but that means I can make say, 1 Miriam vote turn into 9 when the intention probably isn't to allow me to vote for the same character 9 times, pretending there's another 8 people who want Miriam, screwing with the data as locking to a Nintendo account has already shown to be a flawed solution.

Eldrake

Smash Lord
Discord gives profile header bars a background color based on the colors of their avatars. It reminds me of the Smash Bros fighter background colors on the official website.

So basically what I am saying is that based on my own header bar, the next fighter's background color will be this.

color.png

It's simply flawless logic.

TheLamerGamer

Smash Journeyman
Maybe the best way would just to get you to vote in-game? That way only people who had the game could do it, and they could probably limit the amount of votes by limiting it to either a single, or a specific number of accounts. They could limit it to accounts with online, but that would be pretty scummy, and unless they found a way to circumvent this, the free trial could be abused.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Hey, the first one got King K. Rool in. Maybe another character or two can get in the next game through a second ballot. How bad can it be?
Among others. It also got Ridley, Simon, and Richter in. Possibly Chrom and Dark Samus too, depending where he got the data that they were popular picks. Other such major placings would easily be Inklings and Isabelle too.

Honestly, it's been super useful. Besides, many of those votes also lead to more franchises getting massive content, even if it's not playable. Golden Sun getting a giant boost in stuff is most likely a case of ballot influence.

CannonStreak

Supersonic Warrior
Premium
Among others. It also got Ridley, Simon, and Richter in. Possibly Chrom and Dark Samus too, depending where he got the data that they were popular picks. Other such major placings would easily be Inklings and Isabelle too.

Honestly, it's been super useful. Besides, many of those votes also lead to more franchises getting massive content, even if it's not playable. Golden Sun getting a giant boost in stuff is most likely a case of ballot influence.
Which is why I think a second ballot would be a good idea. I think if there is one, it would be better to make it happen after the game finishes development, DLC at all.

And yeah, I missed those other characters you mentioned.

Vote rigging for TF2 characters lol
There may be some vote rigging, but still, some good can come out of this if characters are chosen due to the votes of the ballot.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Hey, the first one got King K. Rool in. Maybe another character or two can get in the next game through a second ballot. How bad can it be?
Plus, it would be made clear with no room for misinterpretation that this would NOT affect Ultimate as the DLC will have already ended

thus far less infighting

and as usual, all your Goku and other non video games characters votes get tossed into the trash

Ivander

Smash Legend
Actually, thinking about it, considering some Nintendo characters didn't get in Smash even as a Spirit, I wonder if some people are going to vote spam a character like Mike Jones or another Nintendo main character not acknowledged.

Last edited:

Sephirothorsomethingidk

Smash Apprentice
Which is why I think a second ballot would be a good idea. I think if there is one, it would be better to make it happen after the game finishes development, DLC at all.

And yeah, I missed those other characters you mentioned.

There may be some vote rigging, but still, some good can come out of this if characters are chosen due to the votes of the ballot.
Does that mean Tales will get more content than just a mii costume soon? Even if just a spirit event or something

SnowClaws

Smash Apprentice
Lol, even though this probably isn't going to work out, it is still interesting to discuss. Also, if we consider the possibility of CP10's color being darker shade closer to red, then Estelle, Rean and Adol could all fit in with this. If you added on their last names, anyways. XD

Also, I remember someone pointing this out in Sakurai's presentation video for Pyra/Mythra a way back:

View attachment 317024View attachment 317025

I thought it was interesting, since the background in Pyra's image is pinkish. >_>
Oh, that was me who mention the interesting tidbit about Pyra's suppose fighter color, and the only reason why I mention it is that I thought the other Dragon Quest Heroes' colors were also factored into the equation.

The person who wrote the current color theory is only using the official Smash site for their equation, and not any promotional materials. In order for Pyra's pink color to show up is when FP10 get revealed, and Pyra is moved to the fighter slide with said color as her background. But by then, it will to be too late to fix the equation to be the right color due to the sudden change. The chance of FP10 being Pink is 50/50 give or take.

The whole color theory is meant to be fun, and even without the other DQ Hero's colors, that person manage to get a similar result to the actual color for FP9.

Perkilator

Smash Legend
The perpetual trash fire known as Planet Earth(tm)

Maybe it could also help for Sora, Crash and Eggman (assuming none of them get into Ultimate).

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I think Rex's chances of being playable in Smash are dead in the water unless P&M are axed from the next game and given a part in his moveset, and I find that to be extremely unlikely.
Just ask Dixie Kong, a character that could work on her own without Diddy even more so than Rex could without Pyra/Mythra, both in moveset potential and in justifying a solo slot, yet still hasn't been added more than a decade and multiple Smash games later.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
Just ask Dixie Kong, a character that could work on her own without Diddy even more so than Rex could without Pyra/Mythra, both in moveset and in origin game, yet still hasn't been added more than a decade and multiple Smash games later.
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Dixie Kong The Forbidden 7? I thought not. It’s not a story Sakurai would tell you. It’s a Leak legend.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I think Rex's chances of being playable in Smash are dead in the water unless P&M are axed from the next game and given a part in his moveset, and I find that to be extremely unlikely.
I think if any characters from Xenoblade will be voted for, it’ll be any of Elma, Fiora, Melia, Dunban maybe Lora, the XC3 protag if the game’s revealed by then...

Elma shilling aside I hope Fiora gets a second chance too, she was done dirty 😭

Shroob

Sup?
A good deal of the most requested characters in the history of the series have been included due to one ballot or another. I know some people have taken to maligning "regularly discussed" characters, but Smash would feel pretty strange with only the unexpected choices.
Though, couldn't one make an argument that a good amount of the DLC has been unexpected choices?

Aside from Banjo, Steve, and the 1st parties, I'd wager none of the characters we've gotten were regularly discussed here, and the big one that was, Hero, was due to a leak.

I'd be hard pressed to say Joker, Terry, Sephiroth and Hero(Had he not leaked) would have been regularly discussed.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Aside from Banjo, Steve, and the 1st parties, I'd wager none of the characters we've gotten were regularly discussed here, and the big one that was, Hero, was due to a leak.
I remember posting about how everyone shouldn't forget Byleth at the end of the first Pass like a few days before it was revealed. The reveal itself initially felt disappointing, even if Byleth is a pretty fun character to play.

Shroob

Sup?
I remember posting about how everyone shouldn't forget Byleth at the end of the first Pass like a few days before it was revealed. The reveal itself initially felt disappointing, even if Byleth is a pretty fun character to play.
I remember going to blows for 3 Houses and argued that its lack of Spirits was suspicious.

Was my reasoning wrong? Yes, lots of games are still lacking spirits.

But I was still right in the end. :4pacman:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Though, couldn't one make an argument that a good amount of the DLC has been unexpected choices?

I'd be hard pressed to say Joker, Terry, Sephiroth and Hero(Had he not leaked) would have been regularly discussed.
You could easily make that argument, because those were not the characters to which I was referring as the most requested in the series history.

Twilord

Smash Ace
On one hand, it makes tons of sense, on the other, I lose tons of confidence thanks to Nintendo and Sakurai lol

The only thing that will stop Lloyd getting in is if my suspicions of a dual reveal for Pokémon and Digimon, since both HOPEFULLY will have big E3 spotlights, are on point...

Or if Bandai Namco really aren't getting a single game of theirs added to the roster since Pac-Man.

-------------

I'll tell you what; lets make a deal. We'll be relieved for each other as long as Bamco really didn't just leave it at Pac-Man.

Last edited:

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
I remember going to blows for 3 Houses and argued that its lack of Spirits was suspicious.

Was my reasoning wrong? Yes, lots of games are still lacking spirits.

But I was still right in the end. :4pacman:
Something was just really ****ing sus about Fire Emblem in particular not having Spirits for the new game. I could feel the Corrin reveal pt. 2 in my veins.

Twilord

Smash Ace
Something was just really ****ing sus about Fire Emblem in particular not having Spirits for the new game. I could feel the Corrin reveal pt. 2 in my veins.

Look I get not being excited by Byleth but you should wash your tongue with acid after comparing him to Corrin.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom