• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
At this point, only character I'm confident will show up in Pass 2 is Crash. Yeah, he's talked about way too much and it's tiring, so I'll try to explain why I think that instead of just saying "he likely".

I acknowledge that nothing is a 100% guarantee, but in my mind, Crash just has so much going for him;
  • A mix of being a retro icon and his recent resurgence means he appeals to lots of people
  • The very idea of a Crash vs Sonic vs Mario matchup is just insane and could be a big part of the trailer just to make any late 90s kid flip the **** out
  • Platforming character, so he'll be relatively easy to design when it comes to overall movement and shenanigans, but the Crash games themselves have enough gimmicks to give him fresh new mechanics too, like anything relating to crates.
  • Nintendo and Activision did work together in the past, most notably a pair of hybrid amiibo/Skylanders figurines with special versions of Boozer and DK
I realize none of these points necessarily mean he's a guarantee, but at the same time, he's got a good enough amount of points like that I can at least be confident on him. And Crash 4 doesn't change anything in my opinion since if he's in, he was likely planned without Sakurai or Nintendo even considering the idea of a Crash sequel being in the works.

If I'm wrong, I'll just be wrong and that'll be the end of it. I'm honestly satisfied with Ultimate's roster as is, so whoever the final two are, I don't really care.

And now to wait for the haters because I talked about someone who's frequently talked about :P

Unrelated to Crash, but my absolute most wanted, Nightmare, is pretty much the cherry on top that I'd really like to see because Soulcalibur is dope, but if he's not meant to be, I'll move on because again, I'm satisfied with the roster already lol

Last edited:

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I'm hoping that we get news on Bayonetta 3, Rare Replay for the Switch (not sure how likely that is, but apparently, Nintendo and Microsoft are collaborating on something), and something related to Mother/Earthbound. (whether it's Mother 3 getting localized, a trilogy collection, a remake of Earthbound in the art style of the Link's Awakening remake... heck, I'd take releasing Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound on the NES/SNES Online apps)

None of them seem particularly likely, but I don't know what to realistically predict beyond at least one Smash DLC announcement. (I don't think we're getting any Breath of the Wild 2 updates, given how the last Direct ended with "we've got nothing to show for the Breath of the Wild sequel" - at most, I feel like we might get an official title)

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
I'm going out on a limb here with a bold prediction:
Mother 3 is happening this year.
lol Mother 3 getting an official international release would be an instant E3 classic.
I'm hoping that we get news on Bayonetta 3, Rare Replay for the Switch (not sure how likely that is, but apparently, Nintendo and Microsoft are collaborating on something), and something related to Mother/Earthbound. (whether it's Mother 3 getting localized, a trilogy collection, a remake of Earthbound in the art style of the Link's Awakening remake... heck, I'd take releasing Earthbound Beginnings and Earthbound on the NES/SNES Online apps)
Stop getting my hopes up.

If it happens and you all never hear from me again, you’ll know where I am/what I’m doing.

ARandomFruit

Smash Journeyman
So remember when I said I was surprised that no one's made a Smash Ultimate rumor/leak/theory iceberg image?

.....I did it.

The image is soo big I have to directly link to it lol

There's no real order to it aside from like, really common stuff at the top, newer theories/leaks at the bottom, and conspiracy stuff at the absolute bottom. If anyone wants to adjust it to be more in order or add stuff to it, feel free(Just credit, plz).
What are the u/Senjougahara_Hitagi and u/Noatesty ones? I don't remember them.

Technomage

Smash Champion
Looking at the most recent Spirit Event and the most recent ones we got before that, I gotta say that we're due for another SE with new spirits; how long does it take to add a Spirit Battle and Spirit stats (3rd and 1st party statuses notwithstanding)? >_<

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
Looking at the most recent Spirit Event and the most recent ones we got before that, I gotta say that we're due for another SE with new spirits; how long does it take to add a Spirit Battle and Spirit stats (3rd and 1st party statuses notwithstanding)? >_<
My bets is Famicom Detective Club.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Okay, but I was asking how long new spirits normally take, not what series the next spirits will be from.
They seem to be totally random, I’ve lost sight of any patterns

pls let TWEWY be spared tho i beg u spirit team... Do Spirit Event Star Ocean First Departure R cuz that has no chance of having playable rep AND it’d promote the series 🥺

Staarih

Smash Master
Okay, but I was asking how long new spirits normally take, not what series the next spirits will be from.
They seem to be really random, it took months from the Paper Mario Origami King ones to Hyrule Warrior AoC ones, and then recently we got Bravely Default II, Monster Hunter Rise and Bowser's Fury ones within weeks of each other. No real pattern that I can see.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I still can’t get over how random the Warframe spirit was, not just in timing but also... that it’s heckin Warframe. The last game you’d expect to get a post release spirit

also I’m calling a Ninja Gaiden spirit event next month. Hayabusa has been deconfirmed as playable so getting a png of him for a spirit event shouldn’t be an issue

SKX31

Smash Master
Figurine theory is back. :4pacman:
I CAN'T BELIEVE THEY'RE GONNA ADD PAC-MAN

...Oh wait :ultpacman:
This is my excuse to post a bunch of Pac Man clips:

The terror that a single Bell can instill (the Pac-Man player went at this for a whole minute):

Hydrant is a great candidate for "weirdest move in Smash":

But later on in the same set:

2021 has to make up for 2020 feeling like it was 3 years long.
While both 2020 and 2021 have felt like eternities for me personally, as far as Smash is concerned I'm willing to wait until E3.

Partly because I'm really confident that the next character will be fun / bonkers.

Damnit E3 occurs on the same days that the European Championship in football / soccer starts... I'll have to multitask because I'm not gonna miss either.

Was there even a marketing purpose behind it?
Not really sure there, since Warframe released on the Switch a couple weeks before Ultimate. I'm kinda feeling it's a "Sakurai (or even Furukawa) simply likes the game" thing.

Both Digital Extremes (developer, based in Ontario) and Leyou (publisher based in Hong Kong) have not interacted much with Nintendo at all. And I don't think Tencent factored in since Tencent bought out Leyou (and DE) last year - 10 months after Lotus / Natah was included as a Spirit. Partly since I don't think Nintendo were entirely aware Tencent were talking with Leyou at the time they were talking with DE / Leyou, even if Leyou was seeking a buyer at the time.

Last edited:

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
Even with its... less than warm reception I'm slightly surprised Balan Wonderworld hasn't gotten a spirit event. Yeah maybe SE lost interest in promoting it after release, but a few spirits in Smash is still a fairly easy way to get word out about the game. Given that they looked at the Switch version of the game and concluded it was still worth releasing, its certainly not a case of Square Enix holding themselves to a high standard in regards to the brand on Nintendo.

Last edited:

GilTheGreat19

Smash Master
Not really sure there, since Warframe released on the Switch a couple weeks before Ultimate. I'm kinda feeling it's a "Sakurai (or even Furukawa) simply likes the game" thing.
This might just be it. Wouldn't be TOO surprised if something like this happens again, with a different game.

Technomage

Smash Champion
New topic/challenge: If World of Light (whether through DLC or Ultimate Deluxe) were to get new Light and Dark bosses, what bosses would you add (and why would they be part of the side you chose for them)? My picks:

Forces of Light:
1) Father Balder from Bayonetta (evil light-sider, nuff said)
2) Rhea, in both her Seiros form and her Immaculate One form (villain who leads a church)
3) Metal Face, both his Mumkhar form and his Metal Face form (since machines, including cyborgs, have power sources, which are often powered by forms of energy (such as heat, electricity, solar power, and nuclear fission) that also produce light)
4) Bhunivelze (a god of light)
5) Death Egg Robot (same reason as Metal Face)
6) Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno (fire and thunder generate light, and the Legendary Birds are most likely mindless beasts just like Rathalos, which would probably be how Galeem was able to get Rathalos under his control)
7) Buff Dedede (due to being a heroic figure with a villainous side, akin to Bowser)

Forces of Dark:
1) Yellow Devil (the word "devil" is in its name)
2) Dark Emperor (do I need to say anything?)
3) Grima, both his dragon form and his possessed Robin form (he's a dragon of darkness)
4) Ender Dragon (she's there for the same reason Grima is)
5) Nihilego, with a possessed Lusamine (it's on the side of darkness due to playing on Lusamine's desires)
6) Safer Sephiroth (an angel of darkness)
7) Gruntilda Winkybunion, with both her Banjo-Kazooie boss fight phase and her Hag-1 phase (due to being a witch, and also due to turning into an undead skeleton)

I must admit, it was kinda hard to come up with Lightside bosses. ^^;

Last edited:

ROBnWatch

Smash Champion
NNID
ROBnWatch
Switch FC
SW 2518 9259 3787
While both 2020 and 2021 have felt like eternities for me personally, as far as Smash is concerned I'm willing to wait until E3.

Partly because I'm really confident that the next character will be fun / bonkers.

Damnit E3 occurs on the same days that the European Championship in football / soccer starts... I'll have to multitask because I'm not gonna miss either.
I feel this last part. Gonna need to make plans...

Ivander

Smash Legend
Wait a minute... they gave him a stage, but they didn't make him playable? What about the robot he had in that one game? Wasted, wasted I say!
The robot was a Mokujin, right? Last time I checked, Mokujin was already in Tekken 7 before this stage.

Edit: Nope, I'm wrong. Mokujin isn't in Tekken 7 either.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
New topic/challenge: If World of Light (whether through DLC or Ultimate Deluxe) were to get new Light and Dark bosses, what bosses would you add (and why would they be part of the side you chose for them)? My picks:

Forces of Light:
1) Father Balder from Bayonetta (evil light-sider, nuff said)
2) Rhea, in both her Seiros form and her Immaculate One form (villain who leads a church)
3) Metal Face, both his Mumkhar form and his Metal Face form (since machines, including cyborgs, have power sources, which are often powered by forms of energy (such as heat, electricity, solar power, and nuclear fission) that also produce light)
4) Bhunivelze (a god of light)
5) Death Egg Robot (same reason as Metal Face)
6) Zapdos, Moltres, and Articuno (fire and thunder generate light, and the Legendary Birds are most likely mindless beasts just like Rathalos, which would probably be how Galeem was able to get Rathalos under his control)
7) Buff Dedede (due to being a heroic figure with a villainous side, akin to Bowser)

Forces of Dark:
1) Yellow Devil (the word "devil" is in its name)
2) Dark Emperor (do I need to say anything?)
3) Grima, both his dragon form and his possessed Robin form (he's a dragon of darkness)
4) Ender Dragon (she's there for the same reason Grima is)
5) Nihilego, with a possessed Lusamine (it's on the side of darkness due to playing on Lusamine's desires)
6) Safer Sephiroth (an angel of darkness)
7) Gruntilda Winkybunion, with both her Banjo-Kazooie boss fight phase and her Hag-1 phase (due to being a witch, and also due to turning into an undead skeleton)

I must admit, it was kinda hard to come up with Lightside bosses. ^^;
Some may fit the aesthetic, some may not

Light side:
Eggman
Safer Sephiroth (bonus if in an Ult DX, Sephiroth is unlocked in the light realm and you have to fight this form to unlock him, maybe after a traditional awakening battle)
Yellow Devil
Telethia, the Endbringer (look I just need SOME form of Xenoblade X representation)
Uhhhhhhhhh idk what else

Dark side:
Gruntilda
Malos
Deathborn. If not him then Black Shadow, playable or not I want Black Shadow “officially” in the game beyond a Spirit
Ender Dragon
If we get a LoL rep, Baron Nashor

ShrimpScampi

Smash Journeyman
New topic/challenge: If World of Light (whether through DLC or Ultimate Deluxe) were to get new Light and Dark bosses, what bosses would you add (and why would they be part of the side you chose for them)?
I don't have nearly as many ideas as your list, but a couple I think would be neat:
  • Light side - Eggman & Wily: One of the things I think Marvel vs Capcom Infinite actually did well was how the villain, Ultron Sigma, was a team-up between characters from different franchises. I'd love to see something similar in Smash where you have a joint boss fight with the two mad doctors.
  • Dark side - Giratina: This could tie in with the Sinnoh remakes & Pokemon Legends. It could even have two phases (phase 1 is Altered Forme, phase 2 is Origin Forme), and the Distortion World would be a cool setting for a World of Darkness area.
  • Dark side - Enchantress (Shovel Knight): We got Shovel Knight as an AT already, but having the Enchantress as a boss would be a good way to include more Shovel Knight content.

cashregister9

Smash Hero
I had one of them Smash Dreams™ The dream had the next character getting leaked and everyone was complaining that it was a shill pick and nothing else. It was Cappy from Mario Odyssey...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom