• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
So there's no Switch revisions planned... But apparently, they said something similar before announcing the New 3DS and Switch Lite. What's everyone's thoughts on this?

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
This is fun and games until you realize the pigmasks are supposed to be literal nazis lmao
The only similarity is the evil fascist dictatorship though, and maybe the animal experiments (I think nazis did something like that?) and capturing people. Porky still has different goals (the “evil villain wants to destroy world” idea) and some of the Pigmasks are more comical than pure evil, with one changing even when one of the Magypsies saved him. They do seem based on nazis or at least fascist armies as a whole, but seem to not be literal nazis themselves (but yes still evil fascists nonetheless).

Not saying what the Pigmasks did is okay, of course not, if they were real I would detest them, but it’s still just a game and I don’t think liking them and Porky makes you a bad person, like how liking Bowser doesn’t make you a desperate-for-love kidnapper or liking Ganondorf doesn’t mean you want to have evil demon king powers and become ruler of the world...

Last edited:

Commander_Alph

Smash Lord
Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?
Oh, It's most definitely be Zhao Yun from Dynasty Warriors. Everyone always talking about Koei-Tecmo working with Nintendo about this and that but never tell you what game specifically is that which is a Warriors spin-off with Zelda character and even recently Age of Calamity break highest score of the best selling Warriors game, so I can't see why they don't want to put the main series in Smash instead of Hyrule Warriors character since it's a good "thank you" message from Nintendo to KT for working together to make a successful spin-off and hopes that they could do more like that next time.

That's like the most "no duh" moment and the best ending for KT cause even if Dynasty Warriors never get an acknowledgement by Smash fans but at least Nintendo themselves is really invested with the series and we all know that Nintendo is higher entity than us.

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
So there's no Switch revisions planned... But apparently, they said something similar before announcing the New 3DS and Switch Lite. What's everyone's thoughts on this?
They might release a new model, they might not. Only thing I feel confident about is that analysts and the rumor communities have been hyping it up as the greatest bit of tech to ever exist with a long battery life, 4K output capability, completely fixed Joycons, all in a comfortable to carry around handheld that still only costs under $500...When in all actuality it's probably just gonna be the same little micro-bump the 3DS saw and have a "New" moniker slapped on it because Nintendo can't help themselves, lol.

I could definitely be wrong (and I hope I am, for the record), but it's Nintendo we're talking about here: They don't shoot for the stars when it comes to tech. They do things on the cheap, and then use their extremely talented developers to squeeze and optimize the heck out of it to deliver good looking games at prices parents are less likely to scoff at. Best case scenario is maaaaybe they might have Nvidia try to get a revision of the Tegra into a new model that can utilize DLSS, but even that seems a bit too lofty of an expectation, IMHO.

Last edited:

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord
They might release a new model, they might not. Only thing I feel confident about is that analysts and the rumor communities have been hyping it up as the greatest bit of tech to ever exist with a long battery life, 4K output capability, completely fixed Joycons, all in a comfortable to carry around handheld that still only costs under $500...When in all actuality it's probably just gonna be the same little micro-bump the 3DS saw and have a "New" moniker slapped on it because Nintendo can't help themselves, lol.

I could definitely be wrong (and I hope I am, for the record), but it's Nintendo we're talking about here: They don't shoot for the stars when it comes to tech. They do things on the cheap, and then use their extremely talented developers to squeeze and optimize the heck out of it to deliver good looking games at prices parents are less likely to scoff at. Best case scenario is maaaaybe they might have Nvidia try to get a revision of the Tegra into a new model that can utilize DLSS, but even that seems a bit too lofty of an expectation, IMHO.
My guess is that the Switch Pro is probably the next Main Nintendo System lol.

blackghost

Smash Champion
You say people are overconfident in Crash, but I've seen people just as if not more overconfident in Hayabusa and/or MonHun, Are these situations not similar? The overconfidence issue goes both ways.
not really comparable Monster hunter has only grown and is right now one of the biggest characters at one of the biggst companies in gaming.
crash nnot so much.
Hayabusa is closer to crash but he is still in a better position due to his constant appearances and use.

Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?
already happened with sephiroth but at this point chunli

ZeldaPlayer87

Smash Journeyman
I really hard to tell where Sakurai is going next with DLC. Admittedly, Sephiroth was not on a lot of people’s radar. I hear so many names getting passed around like Crash, Hayabusa, Monster Hunter, and Doomguy. I heard Reimu and Chun-Li are getting passed around a lot too. Honestly at this point, I’m satisfied with the roster so whoever is next is just a bonus, though I’m definitely hard-rooting for Crash, and soft-rooting for Toxtricity.

MooMew64

My guess is that the Switch Pro is probably the next Main Nintendo System lol.
It's too early: The Switch's momentum isn't slowing down ATM and there isn't a need to try and push people to a new ecosystem right now.

My brother (who I talk with about Nintendo a lot) has the best idea: If Nintendo is smart, they'll ditch the old idea of separating console generations and adapt to what the PC and phone market are doing with their generational upgrades. Every 3 or 4 years or so, revise the model with beefed up hardware, but retain the OS and general console architecture to ensure full backwards compatibility and install base retention. Now, just like a phone, you would eventually have to cycle out the legacy models, but by then you can offer cheaper alternatives to your latest models by continually lowering prices or creating "Mini" versions of older revisions to help convince people to make that upgrade. It also solves the problem of having to redo things like their legacy content offerings every console release because everything is still running on the core Switch OS.

Speed Weed

Smash Master
Switch FC
SW-1814-1029-3514
Hi *****es, time for this week's episode of Weedpost That's Tangentially Related To One Or Two Of The Current Subjects In This Thread:

Honestly, I have to admit: I've genuinely got no clue who I think is next. The one-two punch of Steve and Sephiroth has completely fried my brain: I am now unable to have any solid gut feelings or predictions, I can only speak in individually judging characters and "this would be cool"'s now. ****, man, I don't think there's anyone I'd rate higher than a 50% at this point.

But this only tangentially relates to the main point I wanted to make today, which has to do with how we were talking about how each one of us saw Crash's chances, and honestly I feel like there's this vibe of "overstatement" to some Crash discussion. Not necessarily that people overrate his chances as many here have already expressed, but moreso that I've seen people here talk about how Crash is just this absolutely perfect match and it'd be CRAZY and a HUGE missed opportunity if he didn't make it in now and HOW has he not made it yet and all, and yeah I feel like these people are overexaggerating a bit. Crash defo makes sense but IMO it's not mindblowing that he hasn't WOAH'd his way in yet.

Basically, like: Crash is big. He makes a lotta sense. He has a very good case in his favor IMO. But I get it that he hasn't happened yet and I'll understand if he doesn't make it now, because sometimes, characters who make perfect sense and have everything going for them just.....don't make it in. And that's normal. Because they can't cram everyone in. As of this writing, we only have 3 characters left and lord knows they won't all be big names, so sometimes some characters that just feel like these natural fits simply slip through the cracks. And that ties into the beginning of this post, because this is one of the reasons why I don't feel super comfortable going "oh yeah this character's definitely making it in IMO", because sometimes these obvious picks just don't make it in anyway.

TL;DR Crash has a very solid case and I get why people think he's happening, but it's not this baffling travesty if he doesn't

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's too early: The Switch's momentum isn't slowing down ATM and there isn't a need to try and push people to a new ecosystem right now.

My brother (who I talk with about Nintendo a lot) has the best idea: If Nintendo is smart, they'll ditch the old idea of separating console generations and adapt to what the PC and phone market are doing with their generational upgrades. Every 3 or 4 years or so, revise the model with beefed up hardware, but retain the OS and general console architecture to ensure full backwards compatibility and install base retention. Now, just like a phone, you would eventually have to cycle out the legacy models, but by then you can offer cheaper alternatives to your latest models by continually lowering prices or creating "Mini" versions of older revisions to help convince people to make that upgrade. It also solves the problem of having to redo things like their legacy content offerings every console release because everything is still running on the core Switch OS.
I still wouldn't like this, as you would have to buy an expensive slight upgrade to play the newest games.

Phoenix Douchebag

Smash Lord
When people expect the unexpected for so long, the most out there choice is the most obvious. Which is why Byleth shocked so many people.

Which is why for me i really don't bother to entertain the idea of unlikely characters getting in just because of shock value. If it happens, it happens, but otherwise i still prefer to talk about or think of the more tame ideas like Crash, Lloyd and Arle.

(the most unexpected characters are my least favorite reveals anyway)

And that is why Morshu will be our Touhou rep
Wasn't this on National US news one time? (the original Bad Apple i mean)

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
The issue with any significant upgrades to Switch rather than a full blown new system is that developing games for variations of the same hardware can be tricky, and Nintendo is in no rush to have "Switch Pro" exclusive titles (or even ones that for all intents and purposes are only really functional on the new one).

I could imagine an upgrade of sorts around holiday 2021 to tie in with a major sequel like BOTW 2, potentially. But Nintendo may be keen to ride the wave of the current console sales, especially if it still takes a while for the likes of Microsoft and Sony to really get their newest stuff on the market and with momentum via worthwhile exclusive titles.

To me the most significant x-factor might be third parties. Now there will be some that are content to bring in previous gen ports as their output, and maybe even others that put out Switch (and perhaps PC) exclusive games because the install base is too big to ignore. But there will be others that could see trying to develop a Switch version in addition to their high end PS5 and Xbox versions as not worth it. Nintendo may consider that no big deal, yet its something that could potentially become a bigger issue over time, even to a company that's largely gotten out of much of the traditional AAA gaming scene.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion

Spyro the Dragon.

Everyone else is bettin on the orange bandicoot... I'll bet on the purple dragon, and if I win, then all the people who bet orange bandicoot will owe me a lot of money I mean uhhhhhh.... we'll all get along peacefully and NOT steal each other's Burger King meals.

Hydreigonfan01

Smash Master
Spyro the Dragon.

Everyone else is bettin on the orange bandicoot... I'll bet on the purple dragon, and if I win, then all the people who bet orange bandicoot will owe me a lot of money I mean uhhhhhh.... we'll all get along peacefully and NOT steal each other's Burger King meals.
If Spyro gets in over Crash, that'll prove that if the third party is iconic enough, being virtually unknown in Japan doesn't matter.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've been paying attention to the lack of the PMD Spirit Event for close to a year. If that actually means something i'll be bragging about it forever.

It wouldn't even be the first time, I called Steve as FP7.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Considering that the Luigi death stare was on the news at one point, this doesn't surprise me.

If Spyro gets in over Crash, that'll prove that if the third party is iconic enough, being virtually unknown in Japan doesn't matter.
Heck, it even means that they'd add a character that Japan actively dislikes. It would definitely remove the biggest barriers to entry for Doom and Mortal Kombat.

EDIT: Not that Japan actively hates the latter titles.

Last edited:

UltimateCyborgOverlord

Smash Champion
That's certainly one thing. Yet another "fan rule" busted.

I'm gonna do it. I'll say Spyro has THIS... over Crash:

Crash has been experiencing a resurgence lately... Spyro never really had to have a resurgence because TECHNICALLY, he never really went away. He was a really ugly Skylander, but he was never GONE.

AND it was thanks to that Skylander phase that amiibos are even a thing Nintendo makes in the first place. Having Spyro inspire the toys-to-life thing via Skylanders, then get in Smash and get an amiibo to go WITH it... well that's a cute little way for that to come full circle, now ain't it?

JOJONumber691

Smash Lord

I'm talking in Five Years lol. I don't think the Switch Pro is going to be released as a Simple Upgrade. I'm thinking it's more likely going to be what the 3DS was for the DS, a Newer Console still able to play Switch Games, which would probably get Ultimate DX lol. It would make sense for Nintendo to just keep the Switch Branding from a Marketing Standpoint unless they repeat what happened to the Wii U.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
I'm talking in Five Years lol. I don't think the Switch Pro is going to be released as a Simple Upgrade. I'm thinking it's more likely going to be what the 3DS was for the DS, a Newer Console still able to play Switch Games, which would probably get Ultimate DX lol. It would make sense for Nintendo to just keep the Switch Branding from a Marketing Standpoint unless they repeat what happened to the Wii U.
It's unlikely that they would create an Ultimate Deluxe if the next Nintendo system could already play Ultimate as is.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
It's unlikely that they would create an Ultimate Deluxe if the next Nintendo system could already play Ultimate as is.
It isn't unheard of for "complete" editions to come out on the same console though, so it's not out of the question.

One thing I'm fairly certain on. At least one of the last 3 characters is someone that's either a dark horse pick, being slept on or we just didn't see coming.

I've honestly got that gut feeling.
With how little we know, that's almost certainly going to be everyone on the pass for better or worse.

MooMew64

I still wouldn't like this, as you would have to buy an expensive slight upgrade to play the newest games.
Ah, but that's where with proper usage of things like DLSS, proper optimization, and keeping the same architecture, you could play all of those new games on your current model! They may not perform as well as the fanciest model, but they would be perfectly playable. It's using the same principles that PC gaming does with detecting the hardware the game is running on and scaling to account for performance. Eventually older models would be phased out, but it would take a while for that to need to happen.

On the topic of Smash Bros., I honest to goodness don't know where the series goes after Ultimate. I don't think an Ultimate Deluxe is super likely given the licensing problems that will inevitably rear their ugly head at some point.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Last edited:

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Ah, but that's where with proper usage of things like DLSS, proper optimization, and keeping the same architecture, you could play all of those new games on your current model! They may not perform as well as the fanciest model, but they would be perfectly playable. It's using the same principles that PC gaming does with detecting the hardware the game is running on and scaling to account for performance. Eventually older models would be phased out, but it would take a while for that to need to happen.

On the topic of Smash Bros., I honest to goodness don't know where the series goes after Ultimate. I don't think an Ultimate Deluxe is super likely given the licensing problems that will inevitably rear their ugly head at some point.
Yeah, especially if companies decide to back out and not bring their characters back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom