• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
He was in the absolutely safe capsule.
He isn't, actually. That's the specific design for the empty one.

That doesn't mean the developers noticed the difference, though. It's an easy mistake to make. They literally used an incorrect Masked Man sprite so they might just sometimes use the wrong designs. Nobody's perfect.

Dinoman96

Smash Master
Yeah, I assume the joke is that Porky's just stuck in the absolutely safe capsule lol

Besides, stuff like this can happen. Like how Isaac completely disappeared in Smash 4, or how Diddy didn't even get a trophy back in Melee. I don't feel like it really means anything.

Last edited:

Jigglymaster

Smash Hero
NNID
Dapuffster
He was in the absolutely safe capsule.
I mean... kind of? He does go inside of it in the game but it doesn't show him or state his name. Not like in Brawl where he had an entire boss fight. For being a big part of 2 of the 3 games, he sure doesn't show up a whole lot, nor does his entire Pig Mask Army, or even the Porky Statue. There's a lot missing.

My point being is that there's a lot of evidence that's going against it, it's just my own personal wild pick that would be the biggest left field pick of this game.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?
I mean...nobody. Cause I already got a bunch of characters wrong.

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
Here's the money question for everyone then. Which character, if revealed, would be the one that lets you say "**** all y'all, I was right all along"?
It already happened for me with Banjo & Kazooie. next stop is Sgt. Cortez but no one is really arguing against him. Not even on Twitter, not even a peep from the one that shall not be named.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
He isn't, actually. That's the specific design for the empty one.

That doesn't mean the developers noticed the difference, though. It's an easy mistake to make. They literally used an incorrect Masked Man sprite so they might just sometimes use the wrong designs. Nobody's perfect.
Yeah, I knew it was the empty version, I just assumed the developers didn't notice like with the Masked Man sprite. I mean there are literally more than a thousand spirits so making a mistake on at least some would only be human.

Last edited:

SKX31

Smash Master
You laugh, but when March comes around and Sephiroth gets revealed a second time; you won’t laugh. :4pacman:
Oh boy, I can't wait until we get even more stylish / disrespectful off stage Octaslash kills. :4pacman:

Absolutely a Dota 2 character. It's pretty much obscure in Japan, so in the really bloody remote chance it gets in it would shatter the "Popular in Japan" assumption to smithereens. My inner Waluigi would love the ensuing anarchy.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
Yeah, I knew it was the empty version, I just assumed the developers didn't notice like with the Masked Man sprite. I mean there are literally more than a thousand spirits so making a mistake on at least some would only be human.
That doesn't mean they made the mistake, just that it's possible. I don't see a good reason to assume here either.

Overall, Porky isn't in the game. If somebody pointed it out that it's the wrong one, and they fix it with an update, then sure. But unless that happens, it looks more like they wanted to add a silly item cause they do that with some Spirits. Ness' Dad is a phone, after all. They're just having fun.

That and there's a difference between using fanart(which means they didn't look hard enough for the official art) and not checking the game's lore to make sure the spirits are logical. It's not just making a mistake. One is a possible mistake. The other requires you to deliberately search for an image and grab fanart online. They're similar yet distinct situations.

Last edited:

Dalek_Kolt

Smash Master
Yeah, I assume the joke is that Porky's just stuck in the absolutely safe capsule lol

Besides, stuff like this can happen. Like how Isaac completely disappeared in Smash 4, or how Diddy didn't even get a trophy back in Melee. I don't feel like it really means anything.
I currently have no expectations for Porky getting in Smash, and the whole Isaac situation in Smash 4 gives me room to believe that the Smash team can just forget characters entirely. That said, I still roll my eyes at those saying Porky was 100% deconfirmed because of the Capsule.
"Oh but the shadow means Porky's inside and therefore he's a spirit-"
They got Masked Man off DeviantArt, I doubt Sakurai would be this coy and roundabout for what is essentially a bunch of pngs. And they have multiple Spirits representing the same character, at least show us one in which we can actually see the damn character in question that got deconfirmed.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
I currently have no expectations for Porky getting in Smash, and the whole Isaac situation in Smash 4 gives me room to believe that the Smash team can just forget characters entirely. That said, I still roll my eyes at those saying Porky was 100% deconfirmed because of the Capsule.
"Oh but the shadow means Porky's inside and therefore he's a spirit-"
They got Masked Man off DeviantArt, I doubt Sakurai would be this coy and roundabout for what is essentially a bunch of pngs. And they have multiple Spirits representing the same character, at least show us one in which we can actually see the damn character in question that got deconfirmed.
...Didn't Sakurai's team put together the spirits anyway? So it wouldn't be Sakurai being coy. Just the team isn't perfect. It explains the weird Masked Man sprite. It explains the Absolute Safety Capsule being properly empty(whether it was meant to be by the time is difficult to say. They did a lot of research on some stuff to make tons of fun jokes for Spirit representations). They're distinct situations overall, but a mistake by a set of people nonetheless.

But yeah, even if it was the proper sprite, Sakurai wouldn't really care anyway. He'd still add Porky if that was an option. And I do agree Nintendo is unlikely to suggest it unless they actually have Mother 3 being ported soon.

TheCJBrine

Smash Legend
If the Absolutely Safe Capsule is still absolutely safe, does that mean its existence saved Porky by tricking Galeem into letting Porky go free, or is Porky still inside it and the joke is that it’s not absolutely safe/still is but its spirit is still holding Porky inside even if he’s not a spirit himself?

(actually since Andonuts designed it to also keep the world safe from Porky I assume it is in fact likely holding his spirit inside as well, though if they payed attention to the detail of it being empty then maybe he is free...?)

Still though, they could’ve had an EarthBound Porky spirit at least, there’s not even any reference to him when summoning the ASC spirit...

I think it’s irrelevant though, spirit or no spirit he could still get in if he was chosen. There’s no evidence he was, though, unfortunately...

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
From my entire time here, Reimu. I've been pushing the theory of an indie rep, and with how widespread Touhou is, especially in Japan, she seems like the best bet. I've cooled off from my earlier days of "SHE'S IN SHE'S IN SHE'S MOST DEFINITELY IN," but I'm still remaining optimistic.

From my earlier days of SmashBoards, Isaac. He's had consistent popularity, and I believe he could be the Banjo of this pass. If that trademark comes out with anything, it means Nintendo still cares about the series. He would also give validation to the idea that ATs aren't a hard deconfirm, so that's a double whammy.

More recently, Lloyd. Tales is a popular series, one of the biggest franchises in both JRPGs and Bandai-Namco's catalogue, and Lloyd himself has been a fairly popular request for quite some time. He's been brushed off often because of the possibility of the Mii Costume coming back, often in favor of Yuri, but I believe that he still has a good shot.

ChunkySlugger72

Smash Lord
"Crash Bandicoot"

I put all my stock in my most and 2nd most wanted in Banjo-Kazooie and King K. Rool during the early days "Ultimate" and damn right I got both of them correct.

**** it, This is "Ultimate" and supposedly our final season of DLC, This is it everyone... The grand finale.

I'm going "All In" on the Crash Bandicoot hype train and there's no going back, We either arrive safely at our destination at E3/Digital Event or we go down crashing this train into a giant pile of TNT and Nitro Crates.

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Even though I think it's a little weird how they could leave out a Spirit of a character who's literally been a boss in a previous Smash game, I have no reason to believe there was any purpose behind that decision.

I've already said this a few times before, but I doubt we'll ever get another non-Echo EarthBound character until the series gets either a new entry or a huge remake that reignites the fanbase. There are limited spots available for new additions, so Porky, Ninten, and any other EarthBound characters are going to fall way down the list when there's options from more modern franchises like Mario and Pokémon.

Last edited:

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
I've already said this a few times before
You've actually said that a lot of times when someone wanted a first-party that wasn't super-recent. Not that I'm someone who think's Porky HAS to be in, mind you.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
It feels kinda like Doomguy was; A big Western character who was big in the 90's, began falling off, made a resurgence in recent years, and has good Nintendo connections. Crash has less going against him, yes, but I'm seeing a couple parallels. Just felt like mentioning that. Granted, my experience back then was outside of SmashBoards, so there might be a couple discrepancies.
Maybe, but a big advantage that Crash has is that his games used to be huge in Japan, selling over a million copies, meaning that Crash would absolutely still be perceived as an icon there whereas Doomguy would probably be seen as obscure. Then again, for what it is worth, Sakurai himself noted John Carmack, the guy who made Doom, as “the father of FPS’s” so western gaming history is also acknowledged .

Yes (laughs). If you pull up a list of game designers born in 1970, there’s quite a few big names: Hideki Kamiya (Bayonetta), Fumito Ueda (ICO), Yoko Taro (NieR series), Jin Fujisawa and Yosuke Saito (Dragon Quest X), Chiyomaru Shikura (Steins;Gate), and the late Kenji Eno (D and others). Internationally, you have John Carmack, the father of FPS’s, as well. As a generation, a lot of us were directly impacted by the dawn of the PC and the home gaming console. For me personally, it was the year 1986, when games like The Legend of Zelda and Castlevania were released, and I experienced physically interactive games. They had a big impact on me. What about you, Mr. Nomura?

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
Bill god dam Rizer. In fact, Konami is honestly overlooked in speculation. I know we had a whole conversation about Konami a couple days ago but that doesn't happen often. Between Bill, Alucard, Raiden, Frogger, Pyramid Head, and I think a couple others I'm forgetting, they have a solid lineup of characters.

And for the record, if anyone wants to say that Konami is not likely to get another character, come at me. I have counter arguments at the ready.

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
You've actually said that a lot of times when someone wanted a first-party that wasn't super-recent. Not that I'm someone who think's Porky HAS to be in, mind you.
Unless that first-party character has popularity that can compete with Ridley or K. Rool or can be passed off as a retro character like G+W, ROB, or DH, I'd be willing to bet that they aren't very likely.

It's hard to give priority to those who haven't done anything notable in a very long time. Relevancy gives characters a huge advantage, and that's not very difficult to see from most of the first-parties in the past two games.

:4villager::4wiifit::rosalina::4greninja::4mii::4palutena::4robinm::4shulk::4corrin:
:ultinkling::ultisabelle::ultincineroar::ultpiranha::ultbyleth::ultminmin

Every first-party I didn't list falls into one of the two categories I listed in the first paragraph: extremely popular or retro.

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
We were literally insanely lucky to even get Lucas back in Brawl lol

He just got in because Sakurai didn't even know Mother 3 was supposed to be Japan only, and also because he could be derived from Ness' moveset.
Actually, it's moreso because he was going to outright replace Ness but since Mother 3 isn't coming overseas, he decided to keep both in to appeal to both sides.

Lucas(who is retooled from the protagonist from Mother 64) was actually going to replace him as far back as Melee. We're not that lucky to get Lucas. We're more lucky we got both kept in because Mother 3 wasn't ported. Ness was always someone he was okay with replacing. 4 is the first time Ness was directly prioritized over Lucas.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Actually, it's moreso because he was going to outright replace Ness but since Mother 3 isn't coming overseas, he decided to keep both in to appeal to both sides.

Lucas(who is retooled from the protagonist from Mother 64) was actually going to replace him as far back as Melee. We're not that lucky to get Lucas. We're more lucky we got both kept in because Mother 3 wasn't ported. Ness was always someone he was okay with replacing. 4 is the first time Ness was directly prioritized over Lucas.
It's unconfirmed that Ness actually was planned to be scrapped for Brawl. It was just a fan assumption that was made after Lucas was confirmed for the game.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom