• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Fantasy Smasher

Smash Cadet
So what do you guys expect to see in the Presentation on Thursday aside from Miis?

Notably reasons why Pyra & Mythra were chosen over Rex and why it wasn't Rex with them?
A Min Min amiibo reveal with adjustable arms similar to the Guardian amiibo.

Also - and this is slightly wishful thinking - considering this is a transformation character, this would be the perfect time to add Squad Strike Online as pat of the new patch.

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
So what do you guys expect to see in the Presentation on Thursday aside from Miis?

Notably reasons why Pyra & Mythra were chosen over Rex and why it wasn't Rex with them?
Sakurai reveals that Rex was going to be the fighter, but his insistence on having Rex wear either just shorts or scuba gear with actual trousers was anathema to the Xenoblade designers, thus Pyra & Mythra got the nod instead.

SpecterFlower

Smash Ace
Honestly, I think that's more of a generational thing rather than a straight up overall fact. Most kids around my age aren't playing Call of Duty, they're playing Fortnite, Splatoon, all these games that are very cartooney in nature. I myself don't tend to enjoy games that are realistic and try to avoid them; although there are games like Breath of the Wild that are fairly realistic that I enjoy.
Yeah from experience, most people around my age enjoy more cartoony games, JRPG's or Nintendo ones, a good subset also enjoy dudebro ones but they're nowhere near the majority anymore, Nintendo and JRPG's have above them a pretty strong female playerbase that Cod or FIfa completely lack.

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
Yeah from experience, most people around my age enjoy more cartoony games, JRPG's or Nintendo ones, a good subset also enjoy dudebro ones but they're nowhere near the majority anymore, Nintendo and JRPG's have above them a pretty strong female playerbase that Cod or FIfa completely lack.
I think what happened was, us millennials grew up to teens/young adults and thought gritty, mature games were the way to go. Not all of us, of course. I hated the gritty trend of the late 00s and early 2010s. I'm relieved we're finally back to having a lot of cartoony games alongside the realistic ones. And now, gen z is around there but they seem to appreciate cartoony games a lot more :)

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
All the young people now playing Overwatch, Fortnite, Minecraft & so on will never completely understand the sheer level of hostility towards cute & colorful aesthetics by so many in the oughts once upon a time. I mean even Smash couldn't escape the need to be "real" in its palettes after all.
The worst was what happened to poor Banjo. I'm kinda glad it took till Ultimate to add him because they got his design so right!

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
so do you count Wario and Dedede as villains as well?

plus that's just because the 2010s Sonic games were written by people who get their Sonic knowledge off of Wikipedia
Smash actually does count those two as villains iirc so I don't think they're the best comparisons.
I wasn't trying to call out anyone in particular. I've just been seeing so much hate towards them it's gotten pretty tiring.

Twitter begs to differ...
Who the hell cares if a character isn't 100% well received, literally no character ever has or ever will get that 100% adoration rating, just think about how much you'll enjoy a character instead of worrying about people who won't.
Honestly, I'm banking on a double reveal at E3. Every E3 with smash does at least 2. The first one for smash 4 had villager, Megaman, and Wii Fit, the second had Miis, Palutena, and Pacman, and the third had Roy and Ryu. The first one for Ultimate had tons of returning cut vets, Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley. The second for ultimate had Hero and Banjo. Last E3 didn't actually happen. I don't know why we should only expect one smash character for E3 when that's never happened before.
This E3 doesn't seem to be happening either, not to mention that Nintendo can easily just go "Hey, we only have 2 characters left, how about we stretch the hype cycles out so people end up talking about the game even longer before the final character's announced?" From a marketing point it's much better to stretch this out tbh.

Considering Sakurai referenced Xenogears in one of the alts he's absolutely gonna talk about the whole Xeno series instead of just XB2, especially how KOSMOS is 100% getting a costume

StrangeKitten

Smash Lord
And even he got off lucky compared to the unfortunate fate of Bomberman:

View attachment 305506

This definitely feels like where that trend officially bottomed out in terms of use.
If you took the title of the game away and just showed me the character, I don't think "Bomberman" would even enter my guesses for who that's supposed to be. That's how you know they messed that one up big time

CureParfait

Smash Ace
Here is something for fun List 10 more villains you want to add in smash
1. Lucid- MapleStory
2. Susanoo- Blazblue
3. Titan- FF14
4. Hilda- Under Night in Birth
5. Enoshima Junko- Danganronpa
6. Izanami- Blazblue
7. Darkrai- Pokemon Mystery Dungeon
8. Waluigi- Mario Series
9. Becky- Dungeon Fighter Online
10. Kefka- FF6

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly, I'm banking on a double reveal at E3. Every E3 with smash does at least 2. The first one for smash 4 had villager, Megaman, and Wii Fit, the second had Miis, Palutena, and Pacman, and the third had Roy and Ryu. The first one for Ultimate had tons of returning cut vets, Inkling, Daisy, and Ridley. The second for ultimate had Hero and Banjo. Last E3 didn't actually happen. I don't know why we should only expect one smash character for E3 when that's never happened before.
A double reveal is possible, I was talking about their releases.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Watch that we actually get a KOS-MOS alt.
As in a color scheme? Or as in actual KOS-MOS? Cause.....like...KOS-MOS hardly uses a sword, let alone a two-handed sword. The closest she's ever used is changing her hand into a blade. And like, where are the Gatling guns? The weapons she's definitely known for using quite commonly?

LiveStudioAudience

Smash Master
A double reveal is possible, I was talking about their releases.
That definitely feels possible. You get the double reveal, release fighter 10 later that month, and then perhaps reveal the date of the (final?) Sakurai presents in the September Direct. Builds up momentum for both characters and still allows for some publicity come the late summer/early fall.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Which alt are you refering to? The only one I saw was the purple Mythra which was most likely based on Poppi QT.
That very alt is what I mean, the colours don't entirely add up for Poppi but they match up with Weltall from Xenogears much better

Pillow

Smash Lord
Some I’d like to see as bosses moreso than playable characters, and some I’d like only if their series protagonists were added first. Skull Kid and Wiley would’ve made the list if they weren’t already assist trophies.

1. Eggman
2. Pyramid Head (boss)
3. GlaDOS (boss)
4. Kefka
5. Heihachi Mishima
6. Albert Wesker (after Jill/Leon)
7. M. Bison
8. Virgil (after Dante)
9. Sarah Kerrigan (boss)
10. Ornstein & Smough (boss)

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
1. Nightmare [Soul Calibur] - Fighter
2. Black Shadow [Captain Falcon] - Echo
3. Shadow [Sonic] - Echo
4. Bass [Megaman] - Echo
5. Mother Brain [Metroid] - Boss
6. Andross(N64 version) [Star Fox] - Boss
7. Porky [Earthbound] - Boss
8. Liquid Snake piloting Metal Gear REX [Metal Gear] - Boss
9. Eggman piloting Death Egg Robot [Sonic the Hedgehog] - Boss
10. Wily Machine piloted by Dr. Wily [Mega Man] - Boss

Well, more accurately, 29 songs.
I mean, technically, yes. But those individual fighter songs are, like, 10 second loops.

(although, I never actually noticed that each circuit had different fight music. They all sound the same, but they aren't.)

Last edited:

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Aside from the next batch of amiibo, I'm not expecting much more from the presentation. We'll get our standard character walk-through and Mii Costumes, and that will probably be everything.

I'd love to be wrong, but I won't be getting my hopes up for something significant like a third pass.

Neverx

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-5778-5302-2215
Speaking of amiibo, it's funny how Pyra and Mythra's splash screen pose is actually fairly similar to their pre-existing figure poses.

Pyra & Mythra Revealed as the Newest Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Character
Pyra & Mythra Revealed as the Newest Super Smash Brothers Ultimate Character
Mythra
Still waiting for these figures to finally ship, I love that Sakurai used them as reference for the splash screen as their poses are really nice. I wonder if the art for the fighter spirit will be the official art of these two poses.

Last edited:

SharkLord

Smash Hero
A bit of an impulse decision, but I feel like this wave might be a good place to slot in an Euden Mii. Recent Nintendo IP, action-RPG, gacha mechanics. I'd also mention the fire sword and the blond hair correlating to both Blades, but I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Still, it just seems like a pretty good time for them, especially seeing as both first-party packs so far have mostly been general whatever waves instead of being characters from the same series as the fighter.

Quick edit, I'd also like to add that I feel like it's a somewhat a similar situation to Callie and Marie with Min Min. ARMS and Splatoon are fairly recent new Nintendo games, have similar vibrant, cartoony aesthetics, and put unique quirks and twists on their respective genre. I feel like Dragalia Lost and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have some parallels in that regard, as I mentioned above.

Last edited:

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Aside from the chance that Nintendo doesn't do a real "E3," I think there's also an argument to be made that they don't want to put so much emphasis on a 2-year-old game, which might be enough to hold back on a double reveal. There's certainly enough demand for smash to justify it, so I don't know that I would make that argument, but this is Nintendo we're talking about, so I figure it's worth seeding in people's heads at least.

Pillow

Smash Lord
This would possibly be the sickest thing Smash Bros had ever done.

I just don't know how they'd be implemented in 2D.
I’m not sure either. That’s Sakurai’s job!

A bit of an impulse decision, but I feel like this wave might be a good place to slot in an Euden Mii. Recent Nintendo IP, action-RPG, gacha mechanics. I'd also mention the fire sword and the blond hair correlating to both Blades, but I feel like that's a bit of a stretch. Still, it just seems like a pretty good time for them, especially seeing as both first-party packs so far have mostly been general whatever waves instead of being characters from the same series as the fighter.
It’d be a good a time as any for Euden though my gut tells me he’s not coming at all in a ultimate in any form.

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero

Quick edit, I'd also like to add that I feel like it's a somewhat a similar situation to Callie and Marie with Min Min. ARMS and Splatoon are fairly recent new Nintendo games, have similar vibrant, cartoony aesthetics, and put unique quirks and twists on their respective genre. I feel like Dragalia Lost and Xenoblade Chronicles 2 have some parallels in that regard, as I mentioned above.
Would that be our first mobile exclusive character to get a Mii costume?

Technomage

Smash Champion
Villains, huh? Let's see...
1) Dr. Eggman
2) Porky Minch
3) A version of Ganondorf (or Ganon or even Demise) that doesn't use a Falcondorf moveset
4) Kefka Palazzo (from Final Fantasy 6)
5) Dr. Wily
6) Zanza (from Xenoblade Chronicles 1)
7) M. Bison
8)
Rhea (from Fire Emblem: Three Houses)
9) Shadow Queen Peach
10) Goomba

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero

That's fair. The more I think about it, the more I COULD see Euden getting a Mii Costume. My main issue is that I feel like they'd have to announce it before Fighter 11. If they don't, then expect me to go ALL IN on him. Regional exclusivity be darned...

By the way, this isn't exactly Smash related, but Onion Games (the guys who did the Moon Switch port) have uploaded a survey asking if people were interested in more ports of their earlier games from before they became Onion Games. Considering two of those games are Chulip and Rule of Rose, both of which are NOTORIOUSLY rare and expensive, I figured any pro-game preservationists would want to give it a looksie.

Ornl

Smash Ace
Space Invaders seems either invisible or else unwanted here, so I invite you to his support thread ^^

NonSpecificGuy

The Extraordinary is in What We Do
Super Moderator
Premium
Writing Team
NNID
Goldeneye2674
3DS FC
0989-1770-6584
Aside from the chance that Nintendo doesn't do a real "E3," I think there's also an argument to be made that they don't want to put so much emphasis on a 2-year-old game, which might be enough to hold back on a double reveal. There's certainly enough demand for smash to justify it, so I don't know that I would make that argument, but this is Nintendo we're talking about, so I figure it's worth seeding in people's heads at least.
Considering how well Smash has done so far, and how well Fighters Pass 2 is apparently doing, I don’t think you have to worry about them worrying about focusing on a 2-year-old game. Everyone knows that the whole internet is basically waiting to see who each next character is and they’re going to capitalize on that regardless.

Now I doubt a double reveal simply because I don’t think the summer direct will be the “big E3 Direct” like everyone else since it’s fairly obvious E3 is dead in the water this year but who knows? We’ll see.

SharkLord

Smash Hero
That's fair. The more I think about it, the more I COULD see Euden getting a Mii Costume. My main issue is that I feel like they'd have to announce it before Fighter 11. If they don't, then expect me to go ALL IN on him. Regional exclusivity be darned...
I feel like we're getting something from Dragalia, be it fighter, Mii, or Spirit Event. It's a decently large new Nintendo game, it's Nintendo's first-ever mobile-original IP, and it has absolutely nothing thus far. It seems rather conspicuous to me. Larger mobile titles and lack of EU presence could pose an issue, but a Mii Costume wouldn't have any issues. Still, the sheer unpredictability of Smash means we can't really shelve Euden completely.

Basically, I'm expecting something Dragalia at some point, and an Euden Mii this wave sounds pretty reasonable. Granted, it's entirely possible there is no Euden Mii this time around, too.

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I feel like we're getting something from Dragalia, be it fighter, Mii, or Spirit Event. It's a decently large new Nintendo game, it's Nintendo's first-ever mobile-original IP, and it has absolutely nothing thus far. It seems rather conspicuous to me. Larger mobile titles and lack of EU presence could pose an issue, but a Mii Costume wouldn't have any issues. Still, the sheer unpredictability of Smash means we can't really shelve Euden completely.

Basically, I'm expecting something Dragalia at some point, and an Euden Mii this wave sounds pretty reasonable. Granted, it's entirely possible there is no Euden Mii this time around, too.
Eh, I'm just happy to have someone else take the idea seriously. Feels like a LOT of people are sleeping on him, and I don't normally say that about potential Smash picks.

Slime Master

Smash Ace
Considering how well Smash has done so far, and how well Fighters Pass 2 is apparently doing, I don’t think you have to worry about them worrying about focusing on a 2-year-old game. Everyone knows that the whole internet is basically waiting to see who each next character is and they’re going to capitalize on that regardless.

Now I doubt a double reveal simply because I don’t think the summer direct will be the “big E3 Direct” like everyone else since it’s fairly obvious E3 is dead in the water this year but who knows? We’ll see.
Yeah, I agree. I think really what I'm getting at here is how people are using precedence to justify a double reveal. Sure, we've always gotten one at E3, but we've also never had an E3 focus on a smash game that released as long ago as this. Or just one in this particular set of circumstances. It just seems a little hasty IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom