• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Well Sora is almost here.

It's been a wild ride but I gotta say, this speculation cycle was full of twists surprises and topping what we thought was possible.

Here's to whatever comes next.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
but hey

i want to say

thank y'all.

i was going through a rough time as of 2017, when the game was announced in 2018, speculation helped keep my mind off my troubles up until December 2020 when my father passed away. i sought a therapist whos helping me with his loss and various other issues i now need to try to face, but at least i am more at peace to face them now, especially with the therapist's help.

i'll be around, though not as often. but again: thank you guys.
Glad to see you pull through Rie. What are friends also for? Life isn't easy, it's about challenge which starts the very moment you're born and doesn't end until your very death. There's always going to be ups and downs but hopefully you have more better days then bad days remember that. There is no such thing as perfect.

That said see you whenever you're around. Enjoy life as it is and I wish you the best.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
but hey

i want to say

thank y'all.

i was going through a rough time as of 2017, when the game was announced in 2018, speculation helped keep my mind off my troubles up until December 2020 when my father passed away. i sought a therapist whos helping me with his loss and various other issues i now need to try to face, but at least i am more at peace to face them now, especially with the therapist's help.

i'll be around, though not as often. but again: thank you guys.
I know we didn't interact too much, but I hope you have a good time with whatever comes next. Life isn't easy, but that doesn't mean it's not worth living. Maybe we'll see each other again come next Smash speculation (whenever THAT is...), but hey, I'll make sure to greet you with a smile and a wave.

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
King Boo was also a little bit of a bandwagon pick because of the missing Spirits. Maybe he retains his popularity but otherwise I think the LM3 push + missing Spirits created the peak of his speculation popularity. Pauline, meanwhile, has the future. Paper Mario will remain steady (though possibly declining if his series remains divisive) and Toad is Toad, and Odyssey has shown that even his Captain form can keep up the good work.

But Waluigi? Waluigi’s popularity is gonna stick, and nothing is quite as inevitable as death, taxes and Waluigi appearing in the numerous new “spin-offs” and call me crazy but I feel that Nintendo has been leaning a bit more towards Waluigi to do the marketing for those titles. Waluigi is gonna rise
Waluigi's popularity to me can go one of two ways: The Ridley way or the Geno way.

Ridley's fanbase was loud since Brawl, always taking time to push the cunning god of death. They made sure to make it known that Metroid deserved to have its most iconic villain in the game. Ridley was a massive name in speculation as a result, and you could not go on a fan request list without seeing a passive mention of him. The Geno fanbase sat out Smash 4 and the ballot, and did not awaken from their cryogenic freeze until he was a Mii costume. In a game which aimed to push as many fan requests as possible after the ballot, their voices were heard too late because his demand ebbs and flows. Do not be surprised if Geno Speculation is much quieter the same way it was after Brawl.

Now, Waluigi definitely could go in either camp, but I lean the former. With so few big fan requests left that are first party, Waluigi is inevitably gonna take up a lot of oxygen. If you asked me how many traditional first party picks that are big fan favorites left, I would say three: Waluigi, Isaac, and Bandana Dee. There really are not that many first party picks that are on that K Rool, Ridley, Little Mac, Palutena, or if we wanna dip into brawl, Dedede or Diddy Kong tier. There really are a lot less big obvious fan favorites to pull from, so Waluigi as a result is just going to do better without as much competition.

It also helps that in terms of Mario reps, his competition is nowhere near as fierce as it was in say Smash 4. We got Rosa and Bowser Jr out of the way, paving the way for other Mario reps. He has Captain Toad/Toadette and Paper Mario as his main competition, maybe King Boo on a good day. But out of those, he is far and away the most popular. You do not see nearly as much Toad support off of smashboards compared to on it, and requests for the other two tend to be even less.

Waluigi is hard to pinpoint, but gun to my head I think he will rise in demand for the next game, for better and for worse.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
King Boo was also a little bit of a bandwagon pick because of the missing Spirits. Maybe he retains his popularity but otherwise I think the LM3 push + missing Spirits created the peak of his speculation popularity. Pauline, meanwhile, has the future. Paper Mario will remain steady (though possibly declining if his series remains divisive) and Toad is Toad, and Odyssey has shown that even his Captain form can keep up the good work.

But Waluigi? Waluigi’s popularity is gonna stick, and nothing is quite as inevitable as death, taxes and Waluigi appearing in the numerous new “spin-offs” and call me crazy but I feel that Nintendo has been leaning a bit more towards Waluigi to do the marketing for those titles. Waluigi is gonna rise
Yeah **** off with that. I don't recall you ever visiting the King Boo thread to verify this insulting claim. There were like 10 of us, and I and 2 other people from the thread posted here from time to time. He was not a bandwagon pick.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
Yeah **** off with that. I don't recall you ever visiting the King Boo thread to verify this insulting claim. There were like 10 of us, and I and 2 other people from the thread posted here from time to time. He was not a bandwagon pick.
I mean, his popularity did only jump up since Sephiroth from what I can tell as he never got brought up before that. Besides, characters like Ridley, Dante, Doom Slayer, Shantae and more started out as bandwagons, it isn't a derogatory term and anyone who uses it as such is a moron

SKX31

Smash Master
With Sora now completing the roster what are some great themed teams of three in this game for either Squad Strike or 3v3? For example:
Okay, so themed after each game:

64's Classic Mode: :ultlink: :ultmario::ultdk: (:ultkirby: , :ultyoshi: or :ultluigi: in 5v5s )
64's "If I hit you you take 80 %": :ultpikachu: :ultkirby: :ultfalcon:(:ultfox: :ultyoshi: )

Adventure: :ultmario: :ultzelda: :ultbowser: (:ultpikachu: :ultfalcon: )
20XX: :ultfox: :ultmarth::ultjigglypuff: (:ultsheik: :ultpeach: )

Subspace: :ultpeach: / :ultzelda: :ultrob: :ultkingdedede: (:ultsonic: :ultfalcon: )
KNOW MY POWER: :ultmetaknight: :ulticeclimbers: :ultdiddy:( :ultolimar: :ultsnake: )

4 Fun: :ultkirby: :ultlink: :ultpikachu: (:ultmario: :ultvillager: or :ultganondorf: )
4 Glory: :ultlink: :ultfalcon: :ultdiddy: (:ultcloud: :ultmario: )
4 the Mii Costumes: Any combination of :ultgunner: , :ultbrawler: and :ultswordfighter: , but Sans, Heihachi, Ashley (Geno, Shantae) might be some of the most prominent.
4 the borked: :ultbayonetta: :ultcloud: :ultdiddy: (:ultsheik: :ultrosalina: )

World of Light: :ultkirby: :ultmario: :ultlucas: (:ultyounglink: :ultsimon: )
"I embrace my inner speculation a bit too hard": :ultridley: :ulthero: :ultbanjokazooie: (:ultkrool: :ultsora: )
"I embrace my inner Quickplay a bit too hard": :ultkrool: :ultganondorf: :ultkirby: (:ultdk: :ultness: )
"I embrace my inner meta a bit too hard": :ultjoker: :ultwolf: :ultrob: (:ultpyra: :ultroy: or :ultpikachu: )

Waluigi is hard to pinpoint, but gun to my head I think he will rise in demand for the next game, for better and for worse.
That's kinda what I feel about him (and a lot of other first party choices) too. There seems to be a major discrepancy between of most within Nintendo view him on one hand and how large chunks of the (Western, not sure about the Japanese) fanbase see him. He's far from the only character to have that - a lot of non-Triforce wielding Zelda characters seem to kinda feel that same discrepancy.

Still though, I'm not gonna say that discrepancy is game-breaking, and I could definetely see a scenario where Sakurai / Nintendo interprets the demand as "Oh, he's viable as a playable character". Plant getting in now kinda helps his future too since now a mob getting in won't have the same kind of surprise / shock factor.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
I will be highly dissapointed if sora's classic mode isn't canon to kingdom hearts.

In the next game (Kingdom Hearts: Truth Born in August a Little), a Xehonort better summon Donkey Kong from Sora's Memories.

Yeah no. Being generous, Toad and maybe Pepper Mario are the only characters that "deserve" to get in before Waluigi. I say this as a Kamek supporter. There's no universe where E. Gadd or Cackletta even come close (and I wouldn't even mind either of them).
lol this isn’t about being “deserving”

Nowhere in the post did it say they were more deserving than waluigi. The post is about characters from mainline mario who already have a moveset that will probably get in before waluigi. Nowhere did I say they were more deserving than waluigi.

MBRedboy31

Smash Lord
One thing I have to wonder about regarding the Waluigi discussion is, if the next Smash game has very significant cuts among the Mario characters, how will Waluigi’s demand stack up against said cut veterans?

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Just tried out the KH music game's demo to see if I'd like it. Definitely not for me. Looks like I'm not getting that bonus song...

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
One thing I have to wonder about regarding the Waluigi discussion is, if the next Smash game has very significant cuts among the Mario characters, how will Waluigi’s demand stack up against said cut veterans?
It's gonna be seen as less because veterans are always popular and people will know what they used to have, this applies to everyone, if Diddy was cut in Smash 4, K.Rool's fanbase would have massively disappeared in favour for Diddy returning

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
“Bandwagon” is definitely bad wording on my part, and judging by the numbers you stated, so was “popularity”. What I mean is that his likelihood was contingent on factors that might not be around next time. Sometimes, factors lik leaks, patterns or missing Spirit Events create a surge in popularity as was seen with KOS-MOS or Grass Starters. Not out of likelihood or people wanting to be on the winning team, but because people can see those characters more prevalent in discourse and start thinking about the idea. I misjudged that sort of support for King Boo, which is a shame ‘cause I would like King Boo to have gotten that boost in popularity, but as Gwen said I didn’t mean to diminish your amd others’ heartfelt support to convenient bandwagoning, but simply stating a factor in the somewhat prevalent discourse about him that can lead to both practical and sincere popularity.

Depends on the characters cut. Rosalina, Bowser Jr. and Daisy won’t go down without a fight but Plant shouldn’t be too much of a damper.

lol this isn’t about being “deserving”

Nowhere in the post did it say they were more deserving than waluigi. The post is about characters from mainline mario who already have a moveset that will probably get in before waluigi. Nowhere did I say they were more deserving than waluigi.
You can’t just say “probably get in” without giving any reasons for why that would be. “Already having a moveset” is a similar bunk claim when Waluigi definitely has a moveset if your definition of a moveset is slapping a core visual element together with some elements from their games. It’s getting tiring to see you regurgitate the same one-liner with nothing to prove for it.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Well I doubt Dr. Mario will be competition if they keep half-assing his gameplay differences.

I only really want him around because I dislike FLUDD, but it'd probably be better if regular Mario got his old down-B back.

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I mean, his popularity did only jump up since Sephiroth from what I can tell as he never got brought up before that. Besides, characters like Ridley, Dante, Doom Slayer, Shantae and more started out as bandwagons, it isn't a derogatory term and anyone who uses it as such is a moron
I'm sorry, were you in the King Boo thread? Because it's been the same several people there since long before Sephiroth. And we weren't there because he seemed likely.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I'm sorry, were you in the King Boo thread? Because it's been the same several people there since long before Sephiroth. And we weren't there because he seemed likely.
I'm talking about in general, no character gets deemed popular because the same batch of people who only talk about him in a single thread whereas post Sephiroth, King Boo suddenly got mentioned a hell of a lot more. If I made a support thread for Minamimoto and the same 3 people would post every 5 minutes, that wouldn't mean Minamimoto is a consistently popular request

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
I'm talking about in general, no character gets deemed popular because the same batch of people who only talk about him in a single thread whereas post Sephiroth, King Boo suddenly got mentioned a hell of a lot more. If I made a support thread for Minamimoto and the same 3 people would post every 5 minutes, that wouldn't mean Minamimoto is a consistently popular request
But the people mentioning him were the same people from the King Boo thread. It only became a big discussion because for some reason the smash fanbase is alergic to King Boo. Every time he gets mentioned outside of the support thread everyone collectively ****s their pants and goes on rants about why he won't make it in and how he's irrelevant and boring until the King Boo fans leave. If people just treated it like any other smash request you probably wouldn't think people made such a big deal out of him. He was never a huge popular request to begin with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
But the people mentioning him were the same people from the King Boo thread. It only became a big discussion because for some reason the smash fanbase is alergic to King Boo. Every time he gets mentioned outside of the support thread everyone collectively ****s their pants and goes on rants about why he won't make it in and how he's irrelevant and boring until the King Boo fans leave. If people just treated it like any other smash request you probably wouldn't think people made such a big deal out of him. He was never a huge popular request to begin with.
No offence but he indeed gets treated the same, every character gets **** on for whatever reason, but King Boo certainly got brought up more in general, which is a good thing as it expands the base more than the same few people

MattX20

Smash Hero
Welp, it seems like Sora will be released in about 8 hours from now going by how the rest of the pass was released

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
Well I doubt Dr. Mario will be competition if they keep half-assing his gameplay differences.

I only really want him around because I dislike FLUDD, but it'd probably be better if regular Mario got his old down-B back.
Mario's down B in general is such a strange move for what is supposedly a beginner friendly character. A chargeable move that doesn't do any damage but is a powerful windbox, something that's really only good if you've a pretty solid understanding of the game already. Rarely ever sees use by people new to the series compared to something like Kirby Stone lol.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
King boo came up several times at the end of August/Beginning of September in this thread and was generally favorably referenced during that time with several posters either agreeing he'd be cool or at the least not a bad pick over other reps. Fwiw.

Jocario Zero

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-2327-1796-5400
Do we have any news on the Monster Hunter Stories-spirit possibly being added to the regular spirit board?

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
No offence but he indeed gets treated the same, every character gets **** on for whatever reason, but King Boo certainly got brought up more in general, which is a good thing as it expands the base more than the same few people
I got flamed and harrassed over PM over King Boo for months, and people used to randomly tag me when he hadn't been brought up for months just to **** on him more. Meanwhile someone suggests ****ing Sukapon or something and no one has a problem.
King boo came up several times at the end of August/Beginning of September in this thread and was generally favorably referenced during that time with several posters either agreeing he'd be cool or at the least not a bad pick over other reps. Fwiw.
More people than usual were okay with it, but I was still arguing with like 10 people at once who kept quoting me and several insulting me. But maybe I think of it as worse because of the absolute bull**** the Geno thread gave me over King Boo.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
I dunno about y’all, but I’m excited for the potential prospect of Bandana Dee becoming a big name next game. I mean he usually places well on those semi-frequent Japanese polls, some of them even landing him 2nd place after Sora, and Plant kinda killed the regular enemy argument (which I always thought was kinda silly for Dee anyway but I digress).

No telling what the future holds or what competition he may face by the time next game shows up of course, but I remain hopeful.

UberPyro64

Smash Ace
What if this was the newcomer selection in SSBU Deluxe/Smash 6? Yes, there are open slots for a new Pokemon, Fire Emblem character, Xenoblade character, and the new Monolith IP getting a character. Octoling and Leon are Echo Fighters. I don't think Geno necessarily makes sense, but he's still a big request, so who knows, I threw him in any way. And yes, this is including DLC. But yeah, what do you guys think?

Last edited:

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
I got flamed and harrassed over PM over King Boo for months, and people used to randomly tag me when he hadn't been brought up for months just to **** on him more. Meanwhile someone suggests ****ing Sukapon or something and no one has a problem.

More people than usual were okay with it, but I was still arguing with like 10 people at once who kept quoting me and several insulting me. But maybe I think of it as worse because of the absolute bull**** the Geno thread gave me over King Boo.
Those people were horrible and frankly should be reported even if it's been a while, they aren't the entire community and staff needs to crack down on harassment like that

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
That's not fair! Sora is going to be released at 2am my time while I'm asleep!

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Sora, Sora, Sora, Sora, and Cuphead.
Really? I see Cuphead, Cuphead, Cuphead, Cuphead, and Sora.

Also, completely unrelated to anything going on atm, but um... Kotaku might wanna just... not talk about Metroid anymore, judging by the reason why they're trending...

Sigran101

Smash Master
NNID
Sigran101
Those people were horrible and frankly should be reported even if it's been a while, they aren't the entire community and staff needs to crack down on harassment like that
Thank you. I apreciate the thought. I know it's stuff that should be reported, but some of those people, despite treating me like **** over King Boo last year, also talked me down from comitting suicide in 2019. It's a weird situation.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom