• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Not sure what Samus has to do with anything, but in regards to MvC2 OCs, that depends on your definition of "complete" nobody. They're charming enough sure, but they certainly aren't popular enough for most people to actively want them for the next MvCs. When 3 and I came out, I heard approximately zero people in furious outrage at their lack of inclusions.

Similarly Cait Sith is part of the playable cast of the biggest JRPGs of all time, but I imagine quite a few people would need to google that name to know what game I'm talking about.
I mean, to be fair, there weren't really any complaints for characters who didn't return for MvC3 in general. Like even some of the more popular ones like Venom and Strider Hiryu didn't really give any outrage. Really, the only character getting the outrage regarding MvC3 was Mega Man, during the "dark days". And of course nobody was really caring about them with MvC: Infinite when they were already complaining about the amount of characters who didn't return from MvC3. Would people have done the same for them had one appeared in MvC3 and not returned for MvC:I? Can't say for sure, since people were just complaining about missing characters in general with that game.

And Cait Sith is probably not the best example when Cait Sith is technically a recurring character in the Final Fantasy series. Sure, the VII version is probably the most popular version, but it also appeared in important roles in Final Fantasy XI and XIV, as a summon in VI and XI, as a weapon in FFX, and as a costume in FFX-2(and almost in FFXIII-3. "Playboy Cait Sith outfit does not exist. It can't hurt you.") That's not even counting the games that the FFVII version can be found in, like the amount of crossover Final Fantasy phone titles, like Opera Omnia, Pictlogica, Brave Exvius and Record Keeper.
So even if someone didn't know much about FFVII, somebody could associate Cait Sith with Final Fantasy in general if they've seen them from some of the other titles, especially FFXIV with the amount of attention it's getting + the free trial going on, or even the FFGacha games.

Last edited:

Nekoo

Smash Master
NNID
Almazu
3DS FC
0259-0278-5162
Alright, pop quiz: How many people are invading the social thread like I have?

:4pacman:
Maybe not me.
I think... I think I need a break.

I constantly came back here from the 3Ds days up to now, since 2014.
Seven years.

I think I can just go for now, even more that "my" character and dream is being fulfilled tomorrow. I can finally rest-

Here I go, sharing some posts that means a lot to me, about this ride.
The Final base game direct
and the 2nd pass announcement.

1634536274567.png

1634536294669.png

And there it is.
In less than 24h, the end of the road for me.

I don't know when I'll be back, but thanks you everyone. For all these years, maybe you guys don't know it, but for me, this place, those members, you all were for some, almost like another family and escape from some ****ty days.

See you all. I don't know when. But see you.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe not me.
I think... I think I need a break.

I constantly came back here from the 3Ds days up to now, since 2014.
Seven years.

I think I can just go for now, even more that "my" character and dream is being fulfilled tomorrow. I can finally rest-

Here I go, sharing some posts that means a lot to me, about this ride.
The Final base game direct
and the 2nd pass announcement.

View attachment 334672

View attachment 334673

And there it is.
In less than 24h, the end of the road for me.

I don't know when I'll be back, but thanks you everyone. For all these years, maybe you guys don't know it, but for me, this place, those members, you all were for some, almost like another family and escape from some ****ty days.

See you all. I don't know when. But see you.
61mzJFDB-FL._AC_SX355_.jpg

Thanks for having my back these past three years. It's been real.

Best of luck wherever you're headed!

Last edited:

Idon

Smash Legend
NNID
Miyamoto Iori
Switch FC
SW-4826-9581-3305
I mean, to be fair, there weren't really any complaints for characters who didn't return for MvC3 in general. Like even some of the more popular ones like Venom and Strider Hiryu didn't really give any outrage. Really, the only character getting the outrage regarding MvC3 was Mega Man, during the "dark days". And of course nobody was really caring about them with MvC: Infinite when they were already complaining about the amount of characters who didn't return from MvC3. Would people have done the same for them had one appeared in MvC3 and not returned for MvC:I? Can't say for sure, since people were just complaining about missing characters in general with that game.

And Cait Sith is probably not the best example when Cait Sith is technically a recurring character in the Final Fantasy series. Sure, the VII version is probably the most popular version, but it also appeared in important roles in Final Fantasy XI and XIV, as a summon in VI and XI, as a weapon in FFX, and as a costume in FFX-2(and almost in FFXIII-3. "Playboy Cait Sith outfit does not exist. It can't hurt you.") That's not even counting the games that the FFVII version can be found in, like the amount of crossover Final Fantasy phone titles, like Opera Omnia, Pictlogica, Brave Exvius and Record Keeper.
So even if someone didn't know much about FFVII, somebody could associate Cait Sith with Final Fantasy in general if they've seen them from some of the other titles, especially FFXIV with the amount of attention it's getting + the free trial going on, or even the FFGacha games.
Focus on the primary point: a game's overall popularity does not extend to all of its characters.

Cait Sith is not a popular character no matter how you spin it especially relative to the other cast even despite FF7 and FF in general's massive popularity. Even if there's a secret following of fans for the cat that I don't know about, I could argue the same thing about pretty much every minor character of every iconic video game ever, and I don't think either of us want to go down that infinite list.

With the trio (or quartet if you count the boss) of MvC2 OCs specifically, conflating the game's popularity with them in any way is nonsensical when people talk about MvC2 and not them specifically when mentioning their love for the game.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I wouldn't call them "complete nobodies".
I mean, they aren't, like, Little Samson level, no.

But anyone that's not, like, a 30+-year-old fighting game fan probably won't know who they are.

Nah. I'll just wait for the "Next Smash" discussion thread to open up.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
Focus on the primary point: a game's overall popularity does not extend to all of its characters.

Cait Sith is not a popular character no matter how you spin it especially relative to the other cast even despite FF7 and FF in general's massive popularity. Even if there's a secret following of fans for the cat that I don't know about, I could argue the same thing about pretty much every minor character of every iconic video game ever, and I don't think either of us want to go down that infinite list.

With the trio (or quartet if you count the boss) of MvC2 OCs specifically, conflating the game's popularity with them in any way is nonsensical when people talk about MvC2 and not them specifically when mentioning their love for the game.
My original argument from the beginning was never about popularity though. It was about them not being "complete nobodies". MvC2 is a popular series. If someone likes MvC2, then either they remember these characters or don't. Since MvC2 has a large fanbase behind it, a good number of that fanbase would recognize these characters, thus these characters wouldn't be "complete nobodies", regardless of popularity.

That's where the jab at Samus' Japanese popularity comes from, since most of Japan recognizes her from Smash Bros. compared to Metroid, thus her popularity in Japan actually comes more from Smash than from Metroid.

Last edited:

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Since MvC2 has a large fanbase behind it, a good number of that fanbase would recognize these characters, thus these characters wouldn't be "complete nobodies", regardless of popularity.
I feel like the bar for "would be happy to see in Smash" is quite a bit higher that "I've seen this character before".

The, like, 50th most recognizable character in MvC2? Probably doesn't reach that bar.

The idea that ANY parallels are being drawn between a couple rejected OCs from a single 20-year-old crossover game, and the main character of a long running series that's not quite as popular in some territories as in others, is pretty silly.

Last edited:

Ivander

Smash Legend
I feel like the bar for "would be happy to see in Smash" is quite a bit higher that "I've seen this character before".

The, like, 50th most recognizable character in MvC2? Probably doesn't reach that bar.
But I wasn't saying anything about favor, preference, lesser known character over actually popular character people want, etc.

All I was just saying was that I wouldn't call them complete nobodies, since MvC2 is a very popular game. Those characters would likely be recognized more than say, some of the Spirit series in Smash, like Culdcept and etc.

Like seriously, only part I mentioned with popular was MvC2 being popular. Nothing about the characters being popular or more wanted in Smash compared to Dante, Master Chief, etc.
Sure, I mentioned some fans wanting the 3 characters to be used in another Capcom title, but that wasn't to make it sound like they are just as popular as MvC2 or MvC2 being popular = them being popular too.

Geez, I get it. Something I said was taken differently than what was or wasn't intended. I wasn't trying to imply or sound like I implied that MvC2 being popular equals these characters being popular or should be chosen over more wanted characters. Like, Geez, this didn't need to become such a serious topic.

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
I was too fixated on the 18th that I didn't realize it was really only for the US and for us in Europe (and Japan) it's actually the 19th. And he'll probably drop during the night. Oh well, the wait has been pretty painless so far so I'll just wait a bit more to fully experience him tomorrow.

Either way, I'll probably slowly become more quiet around here. Social threads aren't really for me, maybe I'll pop in some "next Smash" discussions if those happen. Thanks for the ride folks and lets all enjoy Sora and the "ultimate" Ultimate we have.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
man Sakurai gotta hate Waluigi if Daisy and a Plant can get in before him lmao
not really. There’s still a good 5-10 Mario characters with movesets already made that would get In to smash before waluigi. Only thing waluigi has going for him is popularity.

not hating on the character because he’d probably be a good edition and it’s more Mario but there’s gonna be at least another 10 Mario characters before waluigi unless Nintendo really really cave into the popularity off him which i personally don’t think they will

CroonerMike

Smash Lord

:4pacman:
I’ll probably peace and check in from time to time. I have so much going on in my life now. I’ve been a lurker since the brawl days and then I’ve been on since the days of smash Wii U/3DS speculation. That was my college days.

Smash ultimate/smash boards saw me through good and tough times whether it was the loss of one of my parents last year or recently happy news, my engagement.

I’ve been banned, I’ve had good speculation chats, I’ve been annoyed, and I’ve been inspired. So it’s been a journey and I think it’s time I just enjoy the game now with my family and friends.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
not really. There’s still a good 5-10 Mario characters with movesets already made that would get In to smash before waluigi. Only thing waluigi has going for him is popularity.

not hating on the character because he’d probably be a good edition and it’s more Mario but there’s gonna be at least another 10 Mario characters before waluigi unless Nintendo really really cave into the popularity off him which i personally don’t think they will
Ten characters a better choic than Waluigi? Could you name them for me? I can see five but for ten you’re gonna need to do some serious stretching imo

MooMew64

sometimes here, sometimes there
I haven’t been super active in Newcomer Speculation since Byleth, but I did poke my head in from time to time to meme or to to actually seriously speculate once in a while.

I’ll probably pop in the new thread once in a blue moon, but TBH the Social’s always been my home here, so if anyone wants to know where to find me, it’ll be in there, lol. I’ll probably hang around some modding threads and Ultimate discussion threads as well.

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Ten characters a better choic than Waluigi? Could you name them for me? I can see five but for ten you’re gonna need to do some serious stretching imo
kamek
Birdo
E gadd
Nabbit
Dry bowser
King boo
Captain toad
Shy guy
Paper Mario
Pauline (if she gets a dedicated moveset)

thats Without going into the spin-off section which is where waluigi fits in. If we then go into the spin-off section then we still have

fawful
Cackletta
Starlow (if you can make that work)

then waluigi

All these have movesets made up for them already and are waiting to just be used by Nintendo in smash. The first 10 come directly from the mainline mario series

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Tonight's the night, huh? Strangely feels a lot more... final than waiting for Corrin & Bayonetta did, waaaay back then.
Like... this is probably the last Smash fighter, period, for quite a while.
For what may, depending on what the future brings, be my last Smash game...

With Sora now completing the roster what are some great themed teams of three in this game for either Squad Strike or 3v3? For example:

:ultsora::ultcloud::ultsephiroth:
:ultdk::ultdiddy::ultbanjokazooie:
:ultmario::ultpeach::ultbowser:
:ultpit::ultpalutena::ultdarkpit:
:ultryu::ultken::ult_terry:
:ultfox::ultfalco::ultwolf:
:ultlink::ultzelda::ultganondorf:
:ultbrawler::ultgunner::ultswordfighter:
:ultrobin::ultchrom::ultlucina:
:ultdoc::ultdarkpit::ultlucina:
I'm not above dredging things up.

Last edited:

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team
So I did a top 5 most likely first parties and third parties list for next game. Here are my best guesses:
First Party
  • Akira Howard - Nintendo bought the rights to Astral Chain after just one title. That's a big deal right there, that means that Nintendo is confident in its future. As long as the next Switch is powerful enough to handle both Akira and Legion at the same time, I feel like Akira is a near lock.
  • Ring Fit Trainee - Ring Fit was surprisingly successful and could serve as the next game's WTF character in the same vein as Wii Fit Trainer. I mean, if your exercise game beat God of War in sales, that says a lot.
  • Isaac - He is one of the biggest requests remaining and with Nintendo reviving so many series from Famicom Detective Club to Advance Wars, I can see them resurrecting Golden Sun next. Once Golden Sun gets a new game, that should be the final push to convince Sakurai to put him in.
  • Octolings - It's clear that Nintendo still has a strong focus on Splatoon and an interest in expanding it. I could easily see the series get another rep for the next game and the Octolings are the frontrunners.
  • Inevitable Pokemon and Fire Emblem character from the most recent games - Technically this is two characters but....this is still true. These two series always get a new character in each game. That's not even a fan rule, that is just a given at this point.
Third Party
  • Dante - One of the characters mentioned by Sakurai as being highly requested. He exploded in popularity and while his demand did dim a bit, I expect him to be a loud request when the next game gets announced. Devil May Cry is a very popular and influential series, and with Capcom having such a vast library of characters to choose from and seemingly being easy to work with, I expect them to get a new character in the next game.
  • Crash - There is a reason why he was one of the top dogs for a while there. Just over the past couple years his demand grew exponentially and while his demand may have came too late for Ultimate, Nintendo surely must have noticed the requests by now. Not to mention they acknowledge him as a gaming icon. By the time Smash 6 comes around Crash will probably be the next Banjo, and as long as he keeps up momentum he will be in a good spot.
  • Dragonborn - The Microsoft acquisition complicates his situation...but honestly I'm gonna go bold here. I think Dragonborn will be more likely than Master Chief and Doomguy. The main reason why I say that is because Japan loves Skyrim. It sold very well over there, it was the first western game to get a perfect score on Famitsu, and it was even an inspiration for BOTW. And with the 8 million rereleases, Skyrim is still alive and kicking. The only reason why Skyrim keeps getting ported is because people keep buying it, after a decade! That's saying something. With Sakurai giving a honorable mention to him, that proves that he is criminally overlooked in speculation.
  • Shantae - I think it's about time that we get an indie character. Smash Ultimate broke the barrier for western third parties, so when Smash 6 comes out, I wouldn't be surprised if it broke another barrier. Ultimate was the first game to feature indies as Miis so Nintendo and Sakurai acknowledges how big of a deal indie games have become. Now when it comes to this territory, there is a lot of routes they could take. There is Cave Story, the father of indies, there is Reimu who is super popular in Japan and who would be very easy to get the rights to, there is Undertale which took the world by storm, there is Shovel Knight who got the honor of getting an assist trophy, there is The Knight whose game Nintendo promoted a lot and its future seems promising, and finally you have the genie girl. Shantae has been a consistent request for a while now and no doubt she did well on the ballot. But what really elevates her is being in the same Mii wave as Dragonborn, Lloyd and Dante. That's a pretty dam big deal. That right there gives her a higher chance than most of the indies I just mentioned. Not to mention Nintendo and Wayforward have a great relationship and nowadays you can play most of the Shantae games on the Switch. When you combine all of that together, it gives her a real strong case for next game.
  • Bomberman - This last spot is kind of tentative in my mind. I considered putting down Bill Rizer, Ryu Hayabusa, and a couple other people. But right now my gut says Bomberman. What stands out to me is that Sakurai did do a bit of buildup right before revealing Bomberman's assist trophy. Not only that but he said something like "Yep, he's here too." This tells me that Sakurai has a moderate level of interest in Bomberman, he knows that Bomberman is popular and beloved. And if the Castlevania content is anything to go by, it's that Konami are not that tough to deal with and honestly they were underrated in this speculation cycle. They got a wealth of characters to choose from, and Bomberman got both an assist trophy and a Mii. He's just a third party character that makes a lot of sense.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
kamek
Birdo
E gadd
Nabbit
Dry bowser
King boo
Captain toad
Shy guy
Paper Mario

thats Without going into the spin-off section which is where waluigi fits in. If we then go into the spin-off section then we still have

fawful
Cackletta

then waluigi

All these have movesets made up for them already and are waiting to just be used by Nintendo in smash. The first 10 come directly from the mainline mario series
Dude can’t believe you forget about Perry the Parasol, the true star of the Mario series and most importantly, someone who never played tennis which is obviously the metric we should use.

Here’s an actual list of characters that overtake Waluigi:
-Captain Toad
-Paper Mario

And here’s a list of characters I can see getting in before Waluigi because life is random:
-King Boo
-Pauline (In the future)

Look, I’m a big fan of Nabbit but his legacy starts and ends in the WiiU era, and doesn’t even all that many moveset potential despite appearing in the main game. No, scratch that. He doesn’t have moveset potential because he he appears in main games only. ”The spin-offs” (which by the way belong to the most selling games of all time) are where powers and attributes are introduced with the various special shots. I absolutely do not see why we must reach so low for characters that barely appear in the series because of some fandom-made split between games that matter and games where low-lifes go to play tennis.

These are not “characters waiting to be used by Nintendo in Smash”. They are waiting to be used period. Birdo has never appeared in a ”mainline game” again since Super Mario Bros. 2, and is now filling in the gaps in Paper Mario and the Mario Party games where they really need a eighteenth playable character. Dry Bowser is only here for a second phase for Bowser and I cannot believe the audacity of seperating the Luigi Mansion characters into the main game series when they don’t even bear Mario’s name and only show up once in a blue moon where the Tennis, Golf and Party series run laps around it in terms of sales and relevance.

What’s more, main games mean absolutely nothing to moveset potential either. I can make a moveset for Nabbit and I can make a moveset for Birdo. It’s easy because I’m good at making movesets. I can make a moveset for Pauline too. Very little characters on that list come to close to match Waluigi’s potential.

Let’s get the obvious thing out of the way first. Using sports props is not a moveset, but it isn’t what you should take away from Waluigi or Daisy. Like everyone, Waluigi has a personality and we need to construct a gameplan from that. From there, we can visualise that gameplan with attacks which is where we go look for items and powers. Never turn those steps around, lest you get the misconception that a moveset is a collection of random **** the character has touched. Waluigi is, in essence, an overtuned, flipped and mangled Luigi. That‘s his essence.

So, we start with Luigi and extrapolate him. For Waluigi, that means starting at his mobility. High jumps, zero air speed. Insane traction. Controlling Waluigi should not be easy. It should be limiting, but when he shines, he shines. Again, think of the high jumps. His mobility isn’t bad, it’s specialized. This is actually all seen in his Assist Trophy animations.

To complete the unorthodox mobility, we can draw from his most recurring special power, the Air Swim.

Next, look at his build. He‘s extremely lanky, his limbs are almost cartoonish. His kicks have no problem feeling random, zany and over the top as much as Waluigi does. Combine that with Waluigi’s aggressiveness (again seen in his Assist Trophy animation) and you get a contortionist style of normal attacks where Waluigi bends his body in the weirdest shapes to go as over the top as possible. This is also seen in his special shot in Mario Power Tennis and his more recent outings as a dancer-like character in Mario Tennis Aces, which gave him a moonwalk.

Aggressiveness can also translate to some items. Bob-ombs are not only directly affiliated to Waluigi, they also embody his lack of subtlety and can serve really well as a projectile to be combined to his tennis skills, which in turn is a great way to show that Waluigi does not play fair.

Last edited:

Theguy123

Smash Lord
Dude can’t believe you forget about Perry the Parasol, the true star of the Mario series and most importantly, someone who never played tennis which is obviously the metric we should use.

Look, I’m a big fan of Nabbit but his legacy starts and ends in the WiiU era, and doesn’t even all that many moveset potential despite appearing in the main game. No, scratch that. He doesn’t have moveset potential because he he appears in main games only. ”The spin-offs” (which by the way belong to the most selling games of all time) are where powers and attributes are introduced with the various special shots. I absolutely do not see why we must reach so low for characters that barely appear in the series because of some fandom-made split between games that matter and games where low-lifes go to play tennis.
nabbit comes from NSMBU so He has plenty off moveset potential. He could use the power ups from that game, he could use his bag to attack people or kidnap people or even use his bag as a gimmick to give himself power ups or throw out enemies to change the battle off games. Nabbit has plenty off moveset potential.

I don’t know how this is “reaching” to the bottom off the barrel when the 10 mainline mario characters mentioned all appear in mainline mario quite a lot.

I’m not saying waluigi can’t get in because I’M not Nintendo or sakurai, I’m just saying from a Nintendo POV there’s at least 10 more Mario characters that would probably get in before waluigi unless Nintendo caved into the popularity off waluigi.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I will be highly dissapointed if sora's classic mode isn't canon to kingdom hearts.

In the next game (Kingdom Hearts: Truth Born in August a Little), a Xehonort better summon Donkey Kong from Sora's Memories.

kamek
Birdo
E gadd
Nabbit
Dry bowser
King boo
Captain toad
Shy guy
Paper Mario

fawful
Cackletta

then waluigi

Yeah no. Being generous, Toad and maybe Pepper Mario are the only characters that "deserve" to get in before Waluigi. I say this as a Kamek supporter. There's no universe where E. Gadd or Cackletta even come close (and I wouldn't even mind either of them).

Will

apustaja
Switch FC
SW-7573-2962-2407
Just say you don't Waluigi over someone else or an even harsher truth, maybe you just don't want Waluigi fans to be happy for some twisted, petty reason. There isn't really anything wrong in saying it outside of just being called a ****, but tiptoeing your way around it and trying to make things "objective" or "actually" true will just get you in endless circles forever.

:mybodyisreggie:

Last edited:

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
What's Sora's crowd chant gonna be?

Will he have any special things he says when he gets KO?

These are the questions on my mind today.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
nabbit comes from NSMBU so He has plenty off moveset potential. He could use the power ups from that game, he could use his bag to attack people or kidnap people or even use his bag as a gimmick to give himself power ups or throw out enemies to change the battle off games. Nabbit has plenty off moveset potential.

I don’t know how this is “reaching” to the bottom off the barrel when the 10 mainline mario characters mentioned all appear in mainline mario quite a lot.

I’m not saying waluigi can’t get in because I’M not Nintendo or sakurai, I’m just saying from a Nintendo POV there’s at least 10 more Mario characters that would probably get in before waluigi unless Nintendo caved into the popularity off waluigi.
Nabbit in the game cannot even use the power-ups. That’s his whole schtick. Movesets are much more than random references to random games. Besides, saying that random elements from the game and some core visual elements of a character can fill up a moveset for a character like Nabbit but then not even giving the same benefit-of-doubt to Waluigi is incredulous. In that case, even “using a tennis racket a lot” is a valid moveset for Waluigi which can then be infinitely supplemented by the items, powers and mechanics appearing in spin-offs over the years, not limited but including Zone Shots from Mario Tennis Aces, the items in Mario Kart and the Dice Blocks from Mario Party.

I strongly also object to the split between spin-off games and the spin-off games and I strongly object to the notion that main games would be so much more important that Waluigi’s almost-perfect attendance record in over 60 games would be overtaken by Birdo for spitting eggs in Mario 2 or singing a song in Paper Mario. Thing is, Waluigi is used much more consistently in games than the characters you mentioned. If Nabbit, E. Gadd and Birdo have appeared quite a lot for being in under ten games, then Waluigi is a rightful megaton for the sixty-game revenue he has racked up. Waluigi also has the benefit from even playing a generous role in the story cutscenes of some of these games rather than just appearing as an occasional boss.

So, let’s turn it around, If Nintendo wanted to capitalize on the characters that appear in the main game like they have with Rosalina, the Koopalings and now Pauline, they’d add them to the spin-offs, which consistently sell really well and are marketed to the same extent as at least Paper Mario. They haven’t. Nabbit was left in the Wii U era, E. Gadd remains a Luigi’s Mansion only character. King Boo is still not a mainstay at all in the Mario Kart series. Same as Birdo.

Actually, that’s pretty much what happened to the main game character Nintendo did want to push. Rosalina got added to Mario Kart Wii, Mario Kart 7 and Mario Kart 8 immediately after her breakout appearance in Galaxy and is now a mainstay in the spin-offs. Her appearance in Mario Kart 8 was even announced directly after her Smash announcement as a suprise in and of itself, which shows Nintendo shows appreciation to popular characters by adding them as consistently to spin-offs as Waluigi is.
Same with Koopalings and earlier, Bowser Jr.. What these characters have in common? They got added to Smash and were pushed as the next big thing in the Mario series as a whole. Barely any of the characters you mentioned have made such a splash like I described as Nintendo‘s MO when it comes to Mario characters so to say that they would pick the characters you mentioned (outside of some of them making good Echoes) to deflect your own subjectivity into the argument that “Well, I don’t vehemently dislike Waluigi, I’m just speaking on behalf of Nintendo“ is flawed too.

Last edited:

CapitaineCrash

Smash Champion
Today is finally the day. While I'm still going to continue playing this game until, at least, the next game comes out, it's the last day that we're going to discover a new classic mode. It's the last day I'm going to try those silly costumes on my mii. It's the last day that I'm going to go in the My music menu trying to figure how much I like the new franchise music. It might be the last time I try to fight new spirits (I guess they could add some later but I'm unsure).

Kind of weird that it's all over after 3 years of doing all those things.

Trevenant

Smash Lord

TBH this does seem kinda arbitrary. 10 characters, that would specifically out prioritize Waluigi is kinda non existent, and just seems like boundary pushing. Granted, I'm absolutely not a waluigi fan, but the only characters who could out prioritize him are Toad, a maybe on Paper Mario and a big maybe on King Boo. What doesn't help is that the choices reinforce the arbritrariness if that's a thing lol. Like Shy Guy, which seems to be based on the same idea that Piranha Plant came from, when the entire point of PP was that it was a complete surprise in terms of inclusion, meaning Shy Guy wouldn't really be out-prioritizing anyone as much as it'd be reading off of a different song sheet entirely. Birdo is an even less recurring spin off character even if it had a couple really minor mainline appearances, and Nabbit seems like a one and done thing outside of spin offs. That's just some of them you listed. I couldn't care less for Waluigi, but he certainly isn't outprioritized by anyone but Toad, and anyone after that can have a legitimate argument made for Waluigi being a higher priority.

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
TBH this does seem kinda arbitrary. 10 characters, that would specifically out prioritize Waluigi is kinda non existent, and just seems like boundary pushing. Granted, I'm absolutely not a waluigi fan, but the only characters who could out prioritize him are Toad, a maybe on Paper Mario and a big maybe on King Boo. What doesn't help is that the choices reinforce the arbritrariness if that's a thing lol. Like Shy Guy, which seems to be based on the same idea that Piranha Plant came from, when the entire point of PP was that it was a complete surprise in terms of inclusion, meaning Shy Guy wouldn't really be out-prioritizing anyone as much as it'd be reading off of a different song sheet entirely. Birdo is an even less recurring spin off character even if it had a couple really minor mainline appearances, and Nabbit seems like a one and done thing outside of spin offs. That's just some of them you listed. I couldn't care less for Waluigi, but he certainly isn't outprioritized by anyone but Toad, and anyone after that can have a legitimate argument made for Waluigi being a higher priority.
Pauline also comes to mind as someone who could get in before Waluigi

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
but hey

i want to say

thank y'all.

i was going through a rough time as of 2017, when the game was announced in 2018, speculation helped keep my mind off my troubles up until December 2020 when my father passed away. i sought a therapist whos helping me with his loss and various other issues i now need to try to face, but at least i am more at peace to face them now, especially with the therapist's help.

i'll be around, though not as often. but again: thank you guys.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
Pauline also comes to mind as someone who could get in before Waluigi
Yup, fits the pattern of consistently appearing in spin-offs after a big revival/debut like the Koopalings and Rosalina. Toadette too arguably, though she trades pure tennis power with appearing in things like Mario Run and Mario Maker 2

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
Especially Mario characters.

I don't even like Waluigi as a Smash pick, and even I'd only put Captain Toad/Toadette above him at this point.

Toadette too arguably, though she trades pure tennis power with appearing in things like Mario Run and Mario Maker 2
More importantly, a starring role in Treasure Tracker, and most famously, her playable appearance in NSMBUD(made famous by Super Crown).

Last edited:

TCT~Phantom

Smash Master
Writing Team
NNID
TCT~Phantom
Especially Mario characters.

I don't even like Waluigi as a Smash pick, and even I'd only put Captain Toad/Toadette above him at this point.

More importantly, a starring role in Treasure Tracker, and most famously, her playable appearance in NSMBUD(made famous by Super Crown).
Seconding this. I might not be a Waluigi fan, but he clearly would not be a bad pick per say. I would personally go Paper Mario over him, but Walugi is a pick that makes sense especially with how good Mario representation is as a whole right now.

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
King Boo was also a little bit of a bandwagon pick because of the missing Spirits. Maybe he retains his popularity but otherwise I think the LM3 push + missing Spirits created the peak of his speculation popularity. Pauline, meanwhile, has the future. Paper Mario will remain steady (though possibly declining if his series remains divisive) and Toad is Toad, and Odyssey has shown that even his Captain form can keep up the good work.

But Waluigi? Waluigi’s popularity is gonna stick, and nothing is quite as inevitable as death, taxes and Waluigi appearing in the numerous new “spin-offs” and call me crazy but I feel that Nintendo has been leaning a bit more towards Waluigi to do the marketing for those titles. Waluigi is gonna rise

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom