• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Dumping your own purchased games to emulate is based. It's also legal in most countries and morally okay in all of them. You bought it. It's yours.
Downloading copies of new games is cringe. Support your favorite series if you can, especially indies and/or franchises on life support that really need it, like Metroid.

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Dumping your own purchased games to emulate is based. It's also legal in most countries and morally okay in all of them. You bought it. It's yours.
Downloading copies of new games is cringe. Support your favorite series if you can, especially indies and/or franchises on life support that really need it, like Metroid.
What if they’re out of print (and in many cases cost upward of $100 to get a physical copy)?

7NATOR

Smash Master
I think the worst part is that if you get the NSO Expansion to get the Animal Crossing DLC, it's only available as long as you are subscribed. you will have to pay an Extra $30 the next year, and if people are only in it for Animal crossing, it be cheaper to get it individually

That's why Nintendo put it in the Fine print so people are confused and buy the NSO Expansion thinking they own the DLC. That's kind of dirty in my Opinion, they know what they are doing. the only silver lining is that if you get the Family Plan, the DLC is shared, but still

Ivander

Smash Legend
You're applying the £ to US prices without accounting for currency conversion.
It's £34.99/59.99 in the UK, not £50/80.
So from a $20 deal to a $35 deal for the one account? So basically a $15 increase if I'm understanding correctly?

If that's the case, it's not bad, but an additional system for it like GB or GBA would make the deal much better. Although some later N64 games would make it decently better for me too.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Yeah I feel that. I've never really seen a problem with replacing lost copies of games or music that I purchased legit. It's the people who never bought the stuff or even the console lol having huge libraries that ruins it for everyone else who did pay just don't feel they should pay again.

But tbf I've literally bought 3 copies of castlevania SOTN. The original psx, the ps3 port and recently the mobile port. I guess in some instances you're just gonna buy the same game more than once.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
how am I supposed to support developers that have gone out of business and I have no idea what the individual programmers/artists/etc. addresses are in 2021

KillerCage

Smash Master
$50 a year is absolutely ridiculous for what we're getting. If they threw in GameCube, Game Boy, GBA, and DS then maybe. But as it stands I have no intention of paying that much.
Yeaaahhhh...
I would have willing to pay an additional $20 to get the expansion, but $50 in total?
No thanks. I need more content to even justify that price.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
$50 a year is absolutely ridiculous for what we're getting. If they threw in GameCube, Game Boy, GBA, and DS then maybe. But as it stands I have no intention of paying that much.
I heard it’s kinda Sega’s fault the price is so high
There was a problem fetching the tweet

Opossum

Thread Title Changer
BRoomer
NNID
OpossumGuy
3DS FC
4742-4911-3431
Switch FC
SW 2859 6322 5208
"Stop emulating our games and give us money," says Nintendo as they ask for $50 a year for a handful of Genesis and N64 games.

I get that they're run by literal dinosaurs, but hopefully one day Nintendo will realize asking more than three bucks for any game released before the turn of the century is laughable.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
"Stop emulating our games and give us money," says Nintendo as they ask for $50 a year for a handful of Genesis and N64 games.

I get that they're run by literal dinosaurs, but hopefully one day Nintendo will realize asking more than three bucks for any game released before the turn of the century is laughable.
Hey, at least it's not like one of those hotels where you pay only slightly less for N64 games than you would on the Wii, but can only play for one hour.

Ivander

Smash Legend
Has it been confirmed to be $50? Someone here just said the $50 pricing was UK and that when brought to US pricing, it was $35 US. And I thought the price was changing, assuming it's going from $20 to the new price being $35, which would only be a $15 increase.

Like, basically, I'm not seeing or finding any clear details or answers on what the actual pricing is.

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Has it been confirmed to be $50? Someone here just said the $50 pricing was UK and that when brought to US pricing, it was $35 US. And I thought the price was changing, assuming it's going from $20 to the new price being $35, which would only be a $15 increase.

Like, basically, I'm not seeing or finding any clear details or answers on what the actual pricing is.
They've released official breakdowns. It is $50 in the US. Check NoA's twitter.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
Maybe we should normalise the Game Pass formula...
I don't know if it should be COMPLETELY normalized. Modding games like Morrowind is much harder if you downloaded them as part of Game Pass, and games don't stay on the service forever.

Last edited:

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
The most frustrating thing about NSO's classic game libraries is that they're actually a pretty good idea marred by pitiful execution.

Imagine if, on top of NES, SNES, and Nintendo 64 games, we also had Gameboy, Gameboy Colour, Gameboy Advanced, GameCube, DS, and 3DS games available to us in an aesthetically pleasing format at a reasonable price. Assuming Nintendo went the full mile to gather, at the very least, most of the important games in these libraries, they would genuinely have a service that could compete with emulators in the marketplace.

If they wanted to get absolutely crazy, they could then introduce a pricing tier that gives access to consoles like the Genesis, Saturn, Dreamcast, Turbographx-16, Neo Geo, and Xbox. Imagine a world where headlines like "Resident Evil 1, Jet Set Radio, and Halo 2 are coming to Nintendo Switch Online" are written without a mark of sarcasm or parody.

But nope, instead, Nintendo seems to be comfortable just offering 4 consoles (all of which have more than a few key titles missing) for 50 mother****ing dollars annually with absolutely no bells or whistles beyond online play and rewind (which NESticle has had since before I was born, IIRC). I get licensing is expensive, but the old adage of "If you're not going to do something right, don't do it at all" seems to ring true here. Nintendo needs to fully commit to building a stronger online service, find some alternative method of releasing legacy content, or accept that they are unable to compete with pirates.

Microsoft really should've given Nintendo some advice on the importance of making sure your subscription service has value proportional to its annual price when they were licensing Banjo-Kazooie.

Ivander

Smash Legend
They've released official breakdowns. It is $50 in the US. Check NoA's twitter.
Oh boy...that's.....really not favourable unless they are really planning on additional systems for it, like Gameboy and NDS. Even if we get a whole bunch of favourable games that take advantage of the online, like Mario Party and Diddy Kong Racing, that's still going to be a hard sell unless they are planning more systems for the service.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack

Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack
Individual Membership
Get everything included in Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack for one Nintendo Account holder.

12 months
$49.99 USD

Family Membership
Get Nintendo Switch Online + Expansion Pack for up to 8 Nintendo Account holders. The bigger your group, the more you save!

12 Months
$79.99 USD

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
Maybe we should normalise the Game Pass formula...
The Game Pass forumla works (see: Microsoft Game Pass lmao).

It's just the fact that Nintendo, in true Nintendo fashion, has no idea how to adapt to modern times, hence why players have to pay out the ass for their blatantly inferior version.

Garteam

Smash Master
NNID
Garteam
I find it funny how this week is the time Nintendo decided to **** out the news about the NSO expansion pack, when the Wii U Virtual Console has apparently seen increased sales as people go back to purchase Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission so they can catch up with the series before playing Dread.

It's embarrassing Nintendo cannot offer a superior service to piracy. It's really embarrassing Nintendo cannot offer a superior service to the one they offered last generation on a console that financially failed.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I find it funny how this week is the time Nintendo decided to **** out the news about the NSO expansion pack, when the Wii U Virtual Console has apparently seen increased sales as people go back to purchase Metroid Fusion and Zero Mission so they can catch up with the series before playing Dread.

It's embarrassing Nintendo cannot offer a superior service to piracy. It's really embarrassing Nintendo cannot offer a superior service to the one they offered last generation on a console that financially failed.
I was JUST thinking man gonna have to dust off the wiiU and get Fusion and Zero Mission. Haven't played them in over 10 years!

I dunno gonna have to see about this nso thing I'm a lot less interested in 64 than I am in gamecube...

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I want the miis to have as many job classes as in something like Final Fantasy V but that's like 5x the work of creating the 3 types of miis we already have.

Mii Mage
Mii Thief
Mii Axewielder
Mii Ranger
Mii Sports

Those are the five I can think of.
For me, it's a matter of "what are the most common archtypes in gaming". i.e. what Miis would translate into the largest number of crossover characters.

For me, the top 2 contenders are mages...and ninjas.

Like, every RPG ever has mages. And ninjas are in, like EVERYTHING, especially every fighting game or beat-em-up. And while swordfighter CAN be a ninja, it's moveset is really more RPG swordsman.

You got:
Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
Shinobi [Shinobi]
Strider [Strider]
Guy [Final Fight]
Ibuki [Street Fighter]
Taki [SoulCalibur]
Goemon [Mystical Ninja]
Gray Fox [Metal Gear]
Galford [Samurai Shodown]
Scorpion/Sub-Zero [Mortal Kombat]

Plus, a short-blade, agility based moveset could aslo be applied to any thief/rogue characters.

Contrast that to, say, Mii Sports...who are the guest Miis for that gonna be? 90% of sports games are real-life sports titles, and most of the rest are Mario games, whose characters are already in Smash. The only other sports character I can think of is Kunio.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Licensing probably plays a part in the pricing, but I figure another large factor is Nintendo's mindset that if you charge beneath a certain threshold for their products, it will be seen as devaluing them, which is why their titles almost never go on discount, and why they struggled so much to adapt to the mobile marketplace before relenting with the gacha business. But even now you can see they've withdrawn from mobile pursuits in the face of their own proprietary hardware's success.

It goes back to their absolute bottom line of retaining value of their IP, which speaks to other practices such as a reluctance to license things out, and domineering control when they do. I understand the logic, but it can only work in certain situations. In others, like this, it just comes off ridiculously out of touch and antiquated.

It's unfortunate, but there's just no way I can get on board paying over double the current price for twenty, thirty-year-old games from five gens ago, many of which I already own. Lest we forget these old games are just supposed to an addendum/incentive to the online service, but the service itself isn't going to, like... get better with the expansion pack.

Ivander

Smash Legend
If anything, the thing that hits me is that Sega is the one increasing the pricing. Because of the Sega VC stuff not selling well....on the frickin' Wii. Like just the thought that the Virtual Console did not do well on a system, that had alot more VC than the next system, that practically everyone had, makes me question how successful the Virtual Console actually was.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If anything, the thing that hits me is that Sega is the one increasing the pricing. Because of the Sega VC stuff not selling well....on the frickin' Wii. Like just the thought that the Virtual Console did not do well on a system, that had alot more VC than the next system, that practically everyone had, makes me question how successful the Virtual Console actually was.
If it boils down to licensing costs above other factors, you've got to question if the incentive of having those games is worth the price being charged to play them. If the cost isn't too prohibitive. I would guess that if they cut out the Genesis and only offered the 64, and just charged $10 more for it, you'd see better returns than their current paradigm.

I mean, it's the 64 games more people seem hyped about anyway.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I guess not as popular as we thought then

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom