• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SKX31

Smash Master
Like WeirdChillFever said, I feel like Nintendo's selection is sligtly more geared towards specific IPs an games rather than characters, though there were some exceptions.

I feel like this kinda works wonders for third parties, but not so much for first parties. The fact that most Nintendo newcomers in 4 and Ultimate had games either in the same console generation or the generation immediately prior, as well as our surprise pick for Ultimate being a Mario character kinda speaks volumes on that.

Basically, the further down we go, the more I feel like third parties will dominate speculation and any first party that isn't too big, is a side character or had a recent title/revival (or in the case of rotating cast series, is from the most recent installment) will be fighting an uphill battle. And I think Nintendo's choices are a big factor in this.

Again, there are some exceptions, but by now I think this trend has become very noticeable in the past two games.
That's honestly what I'm feeling too: although it's worth noting that not only will first / second parties be easier to acquire (making them well-suited for base games) they're also good avenues for moveset experimentation. It's evident in the newcomers from 4 and Ultimate, whether from popular series (:4villager: ) or from more niché series (like maybe :4littlemac: ).

Still though, at this point we've had two successive games where DLC newcomers have been mainly third parties. It may as well be the norm for future (newcomer) DLC unless that changes. Veterans might be easier to re-introduce in future games since they'll have the Ultimate template to tinker with (akin to :4mewtwo: ,:4lucas: and :4feroy: having previous templates).

HAHAHA! Keep dreaming!!!

Please don’t nerf him, Sakurai…
If there's any reassurance I can give, it's that if any nerfs come they tend to be minor (especially now). Hell, most of the characters nerfed so far have stayed relevant post-nerfs (this is true of :ultpeach: , :ultzss: and :ultwario: ) and I'm pretty confident ROB is on safe ground too since Sakurai and co. are aware of what makes the balancing tick (hell, they reversed most of :ultpichu: 's nerfs when they found out that those were too harsh).

And really, after everything ROB went through (especially in Brawl, and I'm including Subspace in this) I'm overall happy where it is now.

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil *
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter *
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man
11) Kingdom Hearts

12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry *
15) Castlevania

16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales *
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)

20) Professor Layton
Wow, didn't think they'd have covered big Japanese IPs so thoroughly by now, but here we are.

TBF I don't think it's a huge issue in the future, since Smash 6 still has a lot of potential Japanese characters they could go for. To writ:

• Eggman / Tails
  • Chun-Li
  • Dante
  • Monster Hunter
  • Lloyd / Yuri / Velvet / whoever.
  • 2B
  • Demi-Fiend

Etc.

While I personally guess that they'll start to lean onto Western IP more soon since that's largely untapped, the point still stands. Yes, it'll be near-impossible to top Ultimate, but I don't think the well is dry by any means.

Last edited:

IsmaR

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
BRoomer
Ooromine IV, the second planet from the sun FS-176
NNID
Super_Sand_Lezbo
3DS FC
3179-6068-0031
Switch FC
SW-7639-0141-7804
I still hold that the most upsetting element is that they finally introduce a method for obtaining music outside of DLC packs/buying Mii costumes, and they go and make it the "have save data for another game" method that was already used for spirits (and I guess the inverse for Persona 5 Strikers).

Not owning that single song after all is said and done unless I'm willing to fork over money for a title I have absolutely no interest in is going to bug the everlasting **** out of me for the remainder of time.

Hypocrite that I am, I'm also salty they don't retroactively do it for more games with music that I actually want in this game. Dammit Nintendo give me Octo Expansion music, God Shattering Star, The Only Thing They Fear is You, Rude Buster, etc.

Megadoomer

Writing Team
Switch FC
SW-0351-1523-9047
I still hold that the most upsetting element is that they finally introduce a method for obtaining music outside of DLC packs/buying Mii costumes, and they go and make it the "have save data for another game" method that was already used for spirits (and I guess the inverse for Persona 5 Strikers).

Not owning that single song after all is said and done unless I'm willing to fork over money for a title I have absolutely no interest in is going to bug the everlasting **** out of me for the remainder of time.

Hypocrite that I am, I'm also salty they don't retroactively do it for more games with music that I actually want in this game. Dammit Nintendo give me Octo Expansion music, God Shattering Star, The Only Thing They Fear is You, Rude Buster, etc.
Hopefully it's like the Tockle spirit from Dragon Quest XI, where having the demo also gets you that song. (that wasn't the case for the Monster Hunter Stories spirit, but it would be really annoying if people weren't able to complete the song list unless they bought a Kingdom Hearts rhythm game)

It would be nice if they included more extra/missing songs in the game, whether it meant packaging them with Mii costumes or having separate bundles. More Final Fantasy music, or Street Fighter songs outside of Street Fighter 2, or Undertale/Deltarune music, or Doom music, or Devil May Cry music, or Shovel Knight music, etc. would be great!

Last edited:

Baba

Smash Journeyman

I'm in the exact same boat. I like for my Smash to feel complete and to know that I'm missing a single song because I don't want to drop 60 dollars on it is going to bother me so much.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm in the exact same boat. I like for my Smash to feel complete and to know that I'm missing a single song because I don't want to drop 60 dollars on it is going to bother me so much.
Maybe the eshop thing will be a pay separately to get the song kinda deal? Like for 99 cents

Cosmic77

Smash Hero
Switch FC
2166-0541-5238
Didn't get a chance to comment yesterday, but it's sort of surreal to know Ultimate doesn't have any other characters coming in the future.

Sora was a decent way to end Ultimate. He's not someone I have a huge connection with or anything, but I'm glad we were able to finish with the REAL ballot winner, unlike Smash 4. I didn't get every character I wanted over the past three years, but I also can't deny that a lot of my favorites got in too. Still stoked about the two Metroid additions, along with a few other characters that I had wanted. Overall, it was a better experience than Smash 4, which is good.

I've been visiting SmashBoards less frequently now. I suppose that's because I was beginning to suffer from fatigue after three years of constant leaks, debates, and speculation. I'll probably continue to visit less frequently, as my interest in Smash has faded a bit. This isn't a goodbye post though. As time goes on and we get closer to another new Smash game, I'm sure I'll be back and more active. For now, I need to take things slow and turn to other games and franchises, as I'm sure many of you do as well.

It's been fun. Made a few friends along the way who I'd love to interact with again when Smash 6 gets announced. I don't know how most people view me now, but I know quite a few people were turned off by my preference for first-parties and opinions of Gen 8. That's just me though. I'm not going to apologize for the things I like, just as I don't expect anyone to apologize for the things they like. Going forward, I'll likely still support the things I supported from day one. I'm not giving up on my dreams of another Zelda character, I'll likely find more Pokémon in the future to back, and there's still a ton of Nintendo franchises that I'd love to see get fleshed out some more on the roster (Splatoon, DK, AC, and Kirby more than anything).

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Yeah we should be getting spirit events and balance patches for at least a few months. We'll probably have at least spirits for SMT V and the Pokémon remakes.
Aside from Undertale, I also kinda want a Danganronpa Spirit Event since it’s being ported to switch

they’ll have to pick the more PG rated designs like Makoto, Kyoko, Byakuya, Toko and Monokuma

no Junko for u

Last edited:

Staarih

Smash Master
YOOOOOOO? These are continuing past Sora? Hell yeah okay, I hope we get a lot more of these since it'll be the only way for new games to get their place in Smash for years
Well, this spirit event is occurring this weekend which is still before Sora, so whether or not spirit events will continue after his inclusion remains to be seen.

I do think they'll keep doing them though, especially if balance adjustments are still made.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
I used to be a Smash completionist, but once you stop buying whole characters, missing a single song is a passing trifle.

You have my commiserations. Though I'm not yet entirely convinced it'll stay locked away forever.

Last edited:

RoboFist

Smash Journeyman
Ace Attorney spirit event please. I want it to at least have some representation.
I'd love both this and something for The World Ends With You. I know SE thinks they're eating good with this much content in Smash, but you'd think they'd still want to, y'know, promote that game they released a while ago to big critical reception but terrible sales...especially on a console owned by the company that has the biggest built-in TWEWY fanbase...

I really hope Spirit Events like these don't stop for a while. At least into the new year. I know people love to s**t on them, but I unapologetically love Spirit battles.

Metroid Dread Spirit Event

Three new spirits. No Big Bird.
Hell yes, this is how you do!

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
I used to be a Smash completionist, but once you stop buying whole characters, missing a single song is a passing trifle.

You have my commiserations. Though I'm not yet entirely convinced it'll stay locked away forever.
Honestly what irked me about FEH.... I even dropped real money on orbs and when I was spending like 20 bucks and still getting crap I'm like nope! Dropped that **** like a sack of broken smartphones.

I will say this tho... I still 100 percent games that don't charge extra. Getting the full bestiary in castlevania sotn for instance was especially satisfying.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280
I've thought about doing things like the KH song before, even with more significant pieces of content (primarily stages). I didn't think people would get upset about it - I always thought of it as a small reward for having another game, not a 60 dollar paywall.

Professor Pumpkaboo

Lady Layton| Trap Queen♥
Switch FC
SW: 5586-2837-4585
Completionism. The one neurosis all game companies can count on for extra money. Gotta hear them m, gotta hear them all!
If I was a completionist I wouldn't have bought all the characters but I really only bought Terry Joker and Hero

Worrying about having a complete anything just drags you down

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Honestly what irked me about FEH.... I even dropped real money on orbs and when I was spending like 20 bucks and still getting crap I'm like nope! Dropped that **** like a sack of broken smartphones.

I will say this tho... I still 100 percent games that don't charge extra. Getting the full bestiary in castlevania sotn for instance was especially satisfying.
Back in the day I would be much more obsessive about trying to get everything, or, if applicable, getting all the trophies/achievements in games I really liked. These days I'm proud of myself if I even beat the game, let alone complete it. :laugh:

Also a proud freeloader of every mobile game I own. The only one I dropped real money on was $20 on Pokemon Go during the peak of its mania when it released. And I have no regrets there; we were stampeding around the park like lunatics trying to find anything decent and having a great time. xD

I certainly ain't spending no forty bucks on no Diddy Kong in no Mario Kart Tour. And I really like Diddy Kong and Mario Kart. But... c'man.

Though I'll tell you what, if Smash had released solo stages again, music packs, or costumes for characters other than the Miis, I would've been all over them. All over them.

ZelDan

Smash Master
I'm someone that hasn't bought every Mii costume, so missing one song isn't a big deal for me, especially since I have no attachment to Kingdom Hearts.

I'll just be happy with having every character/stage, every classic route completed on 9.0 difficulty or above, 100% completion on WoL's hard mode, and every spirit.

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
This was the 10th post on a thread on recent era about sora being in SmashView attachment 333492
Its always the resetera mother****ers, isntnit
Reset Era. ReSETerA. Ugh they even sound pretentious.

What lemme guess Barret should have been picked instead of Cloud? Meh they do realize there's no social justice in video games, right? You can't have political correctness in EVERYTHING. Just leave gaming alone it's for Fun not a political soapbox.

Grrrr

Mushroomguy12

Smash Hero
I do feel sorry for the KH fans who did buy Melody of Memory.... on other systems and now have to double dip just to get that song in Smash. I got the Switch version because I wanted to play the game on the go, but man.... I was considering buying it on PS4 and that was a bullet dodged.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
This was the 10th post on a thread on recent era about sora being in SmashView attachment 333492
Its always the resetera mother****ers, isnt it
Resetera is splintering into new sites after that, uh, "hiccup" with some of their mods, shockingly, not being great people. Which is ironic, because that's how resetera started in the first place, from NeoGAF. Anyway, one of them is a Nintendo-oriented forum. It just started, and here I have a historic moment to share with everyone, rarer and more elusive than any shiny Pokemon ever was:

Screen Shot 2021-10-06 at 11.40.00 AM.png

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Resetera is splintering into new sites after that, uh, "hiccup" with some of their mods, shockingly, not being great people. Which is ironic, because that's how resetera started in the first place, from NeoGAF. Anyway, one of them is a Nintendo-oriented forum. It just started, and here I have a historic moment to share with everyone, rarer and more elusive than any shiny Pokemon ever was:

View attachment 333497
Some rando who disagrees in even the slightest way with the mods: I’m about to end this man’s whole career

Ivander

Smash Legend
Honestly what irked me about FEH.... I even dropped real money on orbs and when I was spending like 20 bucks and still getting crap I'm like nope!
Gacha in a nutshell. Once you stop caring about getting the good stuff and only focus on your favourites, Gacha games become alot easier to resist the urge. Helps that FEH has a good amount of 3/4-Stars very capable of rivalling 5-stars.

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
I never bothered with Resetera regardless of any of the controversies just for the fact they require you to have a paid email to join. It just seems invasively creepy putting a work or school email to the forum.
GAF did this too. It's a rather cheesy way of having it be harder to make alternate accounts. It's understandable, but it does suck.
Though I wouldn't say you're missing much.

Last edited:

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
For those of you still on the boards, who would you say is your favourite third party character?

:ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:/:ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:/:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:/:ultpacman::ultkazuya:/:ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ulthero2::ultsora:/:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:/:ult_terry:Poor Terry on his own... :(

Sucumbio

Smash Giant
Writing Team
Gacha in a nutshell. Once you stop caring about getting the good stuff and only focus on your favourites, Gacha games become alot easier to resist the urge. Helps that FEH has a good amount of 3/4-Stars very capable of rivalling 5-stars.
Haha the straw that broke was when black knight was announced and I couldn't get him then finally after 10 orbs he was mine. After that I realized that it'd never end... I'd always want someone else and just wasn't gonna pay anymore. Speaking of which tho Alm was ferocious! He basically was the go to character for every mission, story mode, challenge...

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
Now, to be completely fair to these people, I do agree Smash has a representation problem; Smash is a game played around the world and nobody should have to feel alienated. We have Little Mac, Min Min, and a few alts for a few characters, but other than that, it's easy to imagine that some would feel a bit put-off by the lack of PoC representation.

With all this said, I don't think it's at all fair to assume this stems from some kind of intentional, malicious bigotry, but rather almost certainly comes from cultural ignorance. It's a Japanese video game created almost entirely by Japanese people, and Japan is, unfortunately, a very ethnically homogenous country.

This does not mean that the lopsided representation is A-OK and can be ignored, but rather that solving the problem has to be approached differently than assuming "well, they must be racist." Allowing localization teams to get a bit closer to the main development process could prove helpful in this regard, along with for preventing unfortunate implications as seen with a few spirits, another point of contention that I feel about the same on.
Really, even focusing more on diversity with costume selections would be a great start. Ultimate shows a little promise there, but only a little.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
For those of you still on the boards, who would you say is your favourite third party character?

:ultsnake::ultsimon::ultrichter:/:ultsonic::ultbayonetta::ultjoker:/:ultmegaman::ultryu::ultken:/:ultpacman::ultkazuya:/:ultcloud::ultsephiroth::ulthero2::ultsora:/:ultbanjokazooie::ultsteve:/:ult_terry:Poor Terry on his own... :(
100% Banjo, he was one of my two MW for like twenty years.

But if we're splitting it up company-wise, my favourite unit would be the Square group. Cloud is right up there for me, I dig Sephiroth and Sora, and Hero really surprised me with how much I enjoyed the character.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom