• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gengar84

Smash Hero
Do you just want people arguing whether the next game is a port or a completely new Smash game with cuts?
For me, Smash discussion has always been sharing my favorite characters and thinking about how they could be implemented if they ever made it to Smash. Nothing really changes for me now that Ultimate is over since my favorites were never very realistic to begin with.

Cutie Gwen

Lovely warrior
Somewhere out there on this big blue marble
I've seen some disappointment in the Doom Slayer costume. Not that it's a surprise, this has happened with a lot of characters (Looking at you Dante). But personally I'm just grateful that he got a very cool costume and that Sakurai acknowledged Doom and its legacy. That gives Doom Slayer a notable boost in chance for next game.
Btw is it me or is Doom Slayer the only one with a gun in their hand and not an arm cannon? I don't remember the Gunner costumes well enough to remember

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
I've seen some disappointment in the Doom Slayer costume. Not that it's a surprise, this has happened with a lot of characters (Looking at you Dante). But personally I'm just grateful that he got a very cool costume and that Sakurai acknowledged Doom and its legacy. That gives Doom Slayer a notable boost in chance for next game.
I know people give the Miis a lot of hate. but we would not have these "characters" in any playable form at all without them. Take Goemon. He is practically niche at this point, but he made it as a mii. Sans was tossed in as a mii. So was Doom guy, Altier, Dante, Shantee. They could not make every character playable. but it was a good compromise in my mind.

Btw is it me or is Doom Slayer the only one with a gun in their hand and not an arm cannon? I don't remember the Gunner costumes well enough to remember
Vault boy has a gun.

Last edited:

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
It's been nearly 24 hours since the reveal. How do you guys feel about Sora?

Me? A pretty fitting way to end. Sora may have not been amongst my most wanted but it's clear he was the most requested character for Smash and so what better way than ending it with a bang and happy for the Sora fans, they more then definitely earn it after how long they've waited.

I'm still impressed Sakurai, the madman managed to do it. Do what was probably the biggest impossible.

The game certainly lives up to its title with so many fan favorites added.

Last edited:

drag0nscythe

Smash Master

Me? A pretty fitting way to end. Sora may have not been amongst my most wanted but it's clear he was the most requested character for Smash and so what better way than ending it with a bang and happy for the Sora fans, they more then definitely earn it after how long they've waited.

I'm still impressed Sakurai, the madman managed to do it. Do what was probably the biggest impossible.

Honestly, he is the perfect end. We can all argue on who was an "impossible" character. but Sora was one of the few that truely felt impossible. Geno was a never ever, but I think most agreed that he was possible, it was just that Sakurai and his team decided against him. But Sora. He felt impossible. Having to go through Disney and Square and all the copyright hell to get him.

And they did it. Truly the best way to end the DLC. Only problem is, Smash is impossible to continue now. I know I will never play the next one. It wont have Ridley, Terry, Plant, Snake, Hero and Sora in it. Which are all my mains. (The list just keeps getting bigger. Might as well just main random from now on)

DanganZilla5

Smash Champion
Writing Team

Even after a good night's sleep, my mind is still processing, I don't think I'll be able to fully process it until I actually see him on the roster on my TV. It's just nuts. The madman actually ended the game off with a bang. A highly requested character from a big series, and from a new series on top of everything.

BTW anyone else notice just how much of leap in third parties in between passes in terms of how big they are? In the second pass we got the biggest game in the world, one of the most iconic villains from arguably the most popular RPG, one of the most celebrated fighting games series in the world, and the most requested character from a series that is wildly successful worldwide.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Personally I don't care for Sora at all, but he was definitely the best way to end it. I know Kingdom Hearts means a lot to a lot of people so I'm happy for them. I just wish there was Disney content for the memes.

3BitSaurus

Smash Master
You know, it's a shame that Sora's Classic Mode can't use other DLC characters. Having the last stage be Sephiroth in either Hollow Baston or FD-version Find Mii would have been great.

Speaking of, I think it's pretty obvious it'll be themed after "exploring different worlds" - whether in general or kinda-sorta mimicking events in the KH storyline. Which is a bit ironic, since it's also Mario's Classic theme, in a way. It begins with different worlds coming together, and ends with different worlds coming together.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Bruh

if it is imagination

didn’t some notable KH quotes use that word

Sakurai hinted at Sora in his tweet too

drag0nscythe

Smash Master
My Mii Gunner has always been schnasty, and between Sans and Doomguy, I think I'm gonna use them a lot more. Especially in doubles with my Isabelle amiibo - don't let your memes be dreams!
My Mii Gunner is always Cuphead. Mii Sword Fighter is Goemon. Poor brawler. gets no love at the moment.

Fluttershy64

Smash Ace
For me, Smash discussion has always been sharing my favorite characters and thinking about how they could be implemented if they ever made it to Smash. Nothing really changes for me now that Ultimate is over since my favorites were never very realistic to begin with.
My most wanted character was an assist trophy so the odds of getting it was close to 0%. Though I am happy that Sora is in.

EDIT: Though not No. I am happy he is in.

Last edited:

Cap'n Jack

Smash Lord
Whilst I still think Master Chief would have rounded out the roster better as the final character, I always thought Sora would be the biggest possible character to end on, and they did and we have the data to back this up now that we know he was the true winner of the Smash Ballot in 2015. A very magical ending indeed, the final impossible character.

Last edited:

MarioRaccoon

Smash Ace
Final analysis of Smash Ultimate newcomers, not including echoes or returning veterans:

• First Party: Inklings, Ridley, King K Rool, Isabelle, Incineroar, Piranha Plant, Byleth, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra (9).
  • Third Party: Simon, Joker, Hero, Banjo-Kazooie, Terry, Steve, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Sora (9)

• Old characters: Ridley, Simon, King K Rool, Piranha Plant, Banjo-Kazooie, Terry, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Sora (9)
  • Modern characters (10’s decade foward): Inkling, Isabelle, Incineroar, Joker, Hero*, Byleth, Min Min, Steve, Pyra/Mythra (9).

* Hero crossover ls Smash X DQXI, so technically he is a modern character, though his alts are from previous games.

• Male fighters: Ridley, King K Rool, Simon, Incineroar, Joker, Hero, Terry, Sephiroth, Kazuya, Sora (10)
  • Female fighters: Isabelle, Min Min, Pyra/Mythra (3)
  • Both genre: Inklings, Byleth, Steve/Alex, Banjo-Kazooie. (4)
  • No genre: Piranha Plant (1).

An update in best selling japanese IPs, bold those who have playable characters and with * those who has some other content in smash (AT, music, spirits, stage, etc):

1) Final Fantasy
2) Sonic the Hedgehog
3) Resident Evil *
4) Dragon Quest
5) Monster Hunter *
6) Metal Gear
7) Tekken
8) Street Fighter
9) Pac-Man
10) Mega Man
11) Kingdom Hearts

12) Souls
13) Power Pros
14) Devil May Cry *
15) Castlevania

16) Frogger
17) Simple
18) Tales *
19) Megami Tensei (includes Persona)

20) Professor Layton

SNEKeater

Smash Master
Yeah. It's very cool that Doomslayer got a costume. I wanted Dante in Smash a lot but I was glad he got something, especially after Sakurai saying he (and the other characters that got deconfirmed that day) was a popular request.

A lot of characters can't even say they have something in Smash, as unfortunate that is. That's why I'm cool with Dante and the costume, and well, in the end buying his costume will help and show Nintendo the real interest behind the character. Same goes for Doomslayer, who would have been a sick addition. I'm sure Dante, Doomslayer and other characters that didn't make it will be serious candidates for the next Smash game.

JustPlainDan

Smash Apprentice
In terms of Sora being the final DLC inclusion, I’m just gonna say what I’ve been saying everywhere else:

While I’ve talked about being burnt out on how many times an RPG rep has been chosen, the final inclusion was a character that was one of my 10 most wanted, so I’m just like: You know what? As conflicting (and probably hypocritical) as it is, I’ll take it.

Warumian

Smash Apprentice
Switch FC
SW-2475-1882-3507
I'm fine with this (because this is likely the last Mii we're gonna get), but it's funny how small doomguy is, the same size as Isabelle or Mario. That's a smol space marine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom