• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
End of an era upon us soon

God, the surrealism of that after having followed this for the last 3 years is finally starting to set in.

I'm both happy it's ending, but also sad.

I don't think I could take another year of speculation, but in a most likely Stockholme way, I'm gonna miss it.
I'll mostly just miss you guys. Partially because of the fun I've had, and partially because you're 90+% of my social interactions at this point, which....is probably not a good thing.

On the plus side, I was recently reached out to by a friend, so I do have someone to go bug about the final fighter. lol

Nah that's just the random slot xD
Color is grey
Character is random

Oh yeah.

Eleven confirmed.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
So... have we discussed potential Mii costumes yet? It seems like now's a better time than ever for that sort of thing.
If none of them are the last Fighter, then:

:ultswordfighter: Ryu Hayabusa [Ninja Gaiden]
:ultgunner: Bill Rizer/Lance Bean [Contra]
:ultbrawler: Billy Lee/Jimmy Lee [Double Dragon]
Deluxe:ultswordfighter: Shovel Knight [Shovel Knight]

Last edited:

osby

Smash Obsessed
God, it really is almost over, huh?

View attachment 331538

We'll all be free from this insane ride that's lasted the last 3 years.

So why do I feel soo hollow about it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's ending, but in a really ****ed up way, I feel like I'm gonna... miss it?
I can't say I'll miss everything about the speculation but the DLC characters have been mostly fun so I'll miss looking forward to them.

BlondeLombax

Smash Master
End of an era upon us soon

God, the surrealism of that after having followed this for the last 3 years is finally starting to set in.

I'm both happy it's ending, but also sad.

I don't think I could take another year of speculation, but in a most likely Stockholme way, I'm gonna miss it.
I got just the clip for when there's an hour or less away (assuming I'm awake by that time):

Last edited:

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603

Baba

Smash Journeyman
Watch this turn out to be playable Master Hand or something lol
I still think a Smash rep would be cool. Tabuu or something could be awesome if done right. Primid mii costumes would be a no-brainer too.

Shroob

Sup?
Oh yeah.

I wonder if we'll get a "skipped" thing this upcoming week in regards to the spirit event/tourney whatever we're on.

Usually due to schedule ****ery, the in-game updates tend to get shuffled around, and we sometimes get stuff that was meant to come later earlier, leaving huge gaps in the URL numbering.

DaybreakHorizon

The guy who predicted Sora as Fighter 11
NNID
tehponycorn
3DS FC
4253-3486-4603
God, it really is almost over, huh?

View attachment 331538

We'll all be free from this insane ride that's lasted the last 3 years.

So why do I feel soo hollow about it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm glad it's ending, but in a really ****ed up way, I feel like I'm gonna... miss it?
I'm not as broken up about the end of it all given how hard I've fallen out of speculation towards the end. My interest has been waning since the start of Pass 2, and after Kazuya I walked away from speculation entirely for multiple reasons (most notably the start of my senior year of college).

The biggest thing for me is looking back and seeing how much I've changed over the course of speculation. 3 years ago I hadn't even begun my undergrad, and now I'm approaching the end of the road and beginning to apply for graduate schools. I feel like this was the first time I was old enough to actually participate in speculation (I was around for Smash 4 Spec, but I was a 13 year old gremlin child who was really just trying to play with the big kids), and now that it's coming to end, I don't really know what to think.

It feels kind of surreal, or maybe it just hasn't really sunk in for me yet. Guess once it's all over I'll just go back to my life. I'm kind of glad to do so, but I definitely understand the weird, Stockholm Syndrome-esque feelings. This has been a significant part of our lives these past 3 years and now it's...not going to be.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

Strange times for sure.

Last edited:

Shroob

Sup?
I'm not as broken up about the end of it all given how hard I've fallen out of speculation towards the end. My interest has been waning since the start of Pass 2, and after Kazuya I walked away from speculation entirely for multiple reasons (most notably the start of my senior year of college).

The biggest thing for me is looking back and seeing how much I've changed over the course of speculation. 3 years ago I hadn't even begun my undergrad, and now I'm approaching the end of the road and beginning to apply for graduate schools. I feel like this was the first time I was old enough to actually participate in speculation (I was around for Smash 4 Spec, but I was a 13 year old gremlin child who was really just trying to play with the big kids), and now that it's coming to end, I don't really know what to think.

It feels kind of surreal, or maybe it just hasn't really sunk in for me yet. Guess once it's all over I'll just go back to my life. I'm kind of glad to do so, but I definitely understand the weird, Stockholm Syndrome-esque feelings. This has been a significant part of our lives these past 3 years and now it's...not going to be.

View attachment 331544

Strange times for sure.
Couldn't have said it better myself.

The new Smash news every 2-3 months has just been something to look forward too, and now it's just not gonna be there.

This isn't my first rodeo by any means, I'm a hardened Brawl and Smash 4 speculation vet, yet this time it just feels kinda different I guess. Maybe it's the uncertainty that whenever there's another entry how it probably won't live up to this game's roster, maybe it's the fact that a lot of people are just gonna bounce come October 5th, or maybe it's the fact that we all survived some ridiculously turbulent years these last 3 years during this period of speculation, but, hey, who can say for certain.

Gonna miss it. Weird as it is for someone like me to say, someone who audibly groaned upon hearing the 2021 end date for FP2 back in January 2020, but I'm gonna miss it, I can't lie.

Kokiden

Smash Ace
My main worry with Mario Party is that it seems to have only 5 boards - 1 more than SMP. Of course, Mario Party's never had that many boards per game IIRC, but that game could've benefitted a lot from one or two additional boards. Then again, there could be a secret 6th board or whatever. I'm saying that primarily since SMP's relative lack of content was a main reason I personally didn't get it (and why it seemingly stagnated hard after the first month or so).
I'm still on the fence about Mario Party. It seemed way better than the previous one that got released, and it has been years since I played Mario Party.

My favourite was 5, and that one had a lot of game boards that were great. Shame none of them made the cut.

I think I read somewhere that there are 2 secret boards that haven't been revealed yet? Don't quote me on that though, it was just something I read in passing on a game website this morning, so unsure if it's actually true, or just a rumour.

Me neither. I think the new hair design looks really stupid. It looks like Bombur's beard from The Hobbit.
Oh no...now I can't unsee lol.

I get that they're trying to show that it's Cereza's hairstyle, but man, it just looks weird on an adult as opposed to a child.

The outfit has slowly grown on me, but not her hair.

DarthEnderX

Smash Hero
I get that they're trying to show that it's Cereza's hairstyle, but man, it just looks weird on an adult as opposed to a child.
It would still look weird on a child. Cereza just has two braids. These are two braids that coil around her body and hang down behind her. It's a considerably different style.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Out of curiosity, what are the other types of bears we're missing?
There are 8 species of bear (that are not extinct)
  • Polar
  • Panda
  • Asiatic Black
  • American Black
  • (Malysian) Sun
  • Sloth
  • Spectacled
  • Brown Bear

If I recall---
We have:
Ursaring (Asiatic Black Bear)
Pangoro (Panda Bear)
Bewear (Spectacled, I think, given the climate, and to some degree the coloring)
Beartic (Polar Bear)
Urshifu (Sun Bear)

We don't have Sloth, American Black, or Brown Bear
I am not counting ones like Spinda- who perhaps may be the extinct Dwarf Panda, or any Koala or Red Panda Pokemon- those aren't bears.
It is also possible that Snorlax could be based off a bear, and in that case my guess would be a Sloth Bear (which actually don't hibernate, but they sleep near rivers and eat 95 percent herbivorous).

For the record, Grizzly bears and Kodiack bears are subsecies of Brown Bears.
Other extinct bears include many variants of Grizzly's (Mexican, Californian), Or sub Brown bears (Steppe, Atlas, Berman), Cave Bear, Short Faced Bear

BlazGreen

Smash Journeyman
Given the short amount of time between Smash 4 and Ultimate, I like to think of them as a singular hype cycle. It helps that Smash 4 started the trend of solo character trailers with splash screens to introduce them. So for me this feels more like the end of an 8 year journey than a three year one which makes it all the more bittersweet.

I've been speculating Smash reveals since Brawl's pre release and that was a completely different experience to what the past two entries have done. Most new characters were just randomly posted on the Smash dojo without a trailer and we wouldn't get new footage for months.

Bobthealligator

Smash Ace
I mean given that there’s maintenance for download codes and eShop cards that day, specifically for those things, I wouldn’t rule out a same day drop
If it's a same day drop then they risk it leaking before hand, because they'll need to reveal the character to basically everyone who works on the EShop 2 weeks prior, Sakurai explained as much when he said Byleth was releasing 2 weeks later. Unless we get a credible leak like today I don't see it being a shadow drop

Verde Coeden Scalesworth

Flap and Swish~
Premium
NNID
Irene4
3DS FC
1203-9265-8784
Switch FC
SW-7567-8572-3791
If it's a same day drop then they risk it leaking before hand, because they'll need to reveal the character to basically everyone who works on the EShop 2 weeks prior, Sakurai explained as much when he said Byleth was releasing 2 weeks later. Unless we get a credible leak like today I don't see it being a shadow drop
Well, it's noted Smash leaks are hard to get right now anyway, so... we wouldn't get a leak either way.

There's just no case of it being revealed and released in the same day in Ultimate yet. Doesn't mean it can't happen this time~

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero
The two-week gap between reveal and release of Byleth was also so that localization wouldn’t know the character beforehand iirc; which cuts down the need-to-know even more which yeah helps preventing leaks

Flyboy

Smash Hero
It's all such a strange situation. We really are in the dark. The most we know is that Japan is seemingly hyping up the final addition with the Twitter banner and that the last time this happened we got Byleth. Two extremely conflicting scenarios going on.

I want to believe in my most-wanted characters, such as Phoenix Wright, but we truly could get anything. Perhaps later I'll make a sentimental post about this entire cycle.

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Jesus Christ is anyone else feeling like they’re hyping this so much; I can’t help but wonder if the characters a big name third party 😭😭
Third-party maybe, but I personally doubt a big name one, though it is certainly possible. This is a reason why.

Finally: the best timeline unlocks
This timeline also means we are getting Krystal. She could be an interesting character with her staff moveset.

osby

Smash Obsessed
Jesus Christ is anyone else feeling like they’re hyping this so much; I can’t help but wonder if the characters a big name third party 😭😭
Not really.

I think all DLC characters we got were hyped one way or another. Giving a separate presentation date isn't really different than what Byleth got.

EDIT: This isn't an invitation to discuss how hype Byleth is, I don't care.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
Not really.

I think all DLC characters we got were hyped one way or another. Giving a separate presentation date isn't really different than what Byleth got.

EDIT: This isn't an invitation to discuss how hype Byleth is, I don't care.
Exactly, a poster like this doesn't count as "hyping this so much".

Momotsuki

Smash Champion
@smashbrosjp has a new twitter banner.

They are hyping this up lol.
This is interesting! Another thing that leads me to believe they're confident in whatever choice they've made. I don't think that points to anyone in particular, but I think it does point to whoever it is being interesting at the very least.

Before our local geniuses pop out of the village well and bring it up, it's worth noting we knew FP5 wasn't the final character before we knew FP5 was Byleth.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
This is interesting! Another thing that leads me to believe they're confident in whatever choice they've made. I don't think that points to anyone in particular, but I think it does point to whoever it is being interesting at the very least.
I mean, if they weren't confident in a character they wouldn't have been DLC in the first place, so this doesn't really mean much in general. I also remember something similar with the base roster.

PeridotGX

Smash Hero
NNID
Denoma5280

Before our local geniuses pop out of the village well and bring it up, it's worth noting we knew FP5 wasn't the final character before we knew FP5 was Byleth.
Undertale's really popular in Japan...

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
Guys, I have arrived from 20XX. The final character is Melee Fox, but he's considered decloned from Ultimate Fox, and his stage is Final Destination, as well as his music being various screams and Melee-associated edits, as well as the last fighter coming with a legal clause that grants Nintendo the right to sue you for $4,000,000 if you even say the word "Mod" again.

Also, the Mii costume is a Primid from Brawl and there will never be a Smash game again. Except for a mobile RPG focusing on microtransactions.

Hope this is what you wanted

The Last Fighter can be actually most Requested Character due to Competition with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl and if we Get Crash or someone very popular (Excluding Waluigi).
If it's Someone very popular like Crash, Smash would win the Competition with NASB, but if it's worse, NASB would win.

(The idea of theory was Inspired by HungryBox videos)

KneeOfJustice99

Smash Champion
the building from smash mouth's astro lounge
I actually think that a sort of Deltarune character (my own idea being a sort of "party" with Kris, Susie and Ralsei) could be a cool, but underappreciated, pick. Sure, it's not exactly realistic, but having Kris as your controllable character, Susie with more powerful attacks and Ralsei focusing on status effects and magical attacks could be a really cool dynamic to have?

osby

Smash Obsessed
The Last Fighter can be actually most Requested Character due to Competition with Nickelodeon All-Star Brawl and if we Get Crash or someone very popular (Excluding Waluigi).
If it's Someone very popular like Crash, Smash would win the Competition with NASB, but if it's worse, NASB would win.

(The idea of theory was Inspired by HungryBox videos)
Nintendo didn't even know the existence of Nickelodeon All-Stars when the DLC was finalized.

Even if they did, it's not like that game is big enough to influence their decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom