• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Speculation Discussion Volume II

Status
Not open for further replies.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I think the unfortunate truth is that K. Rool, Ridley and Banjo & Kazooie were all by far the biggest and most popular characters of the "core Smash community bubble" and the other ones like Isaac, Geno, Krystal, Dixie, Lyn, etc weren't popular enough to really turn Nintendo's and Sakurai's heads.
I think this is partly false. Isaac was put back in as an Assist Trophy with new functionality, Geno has been recognized by Sakurai several times (in fact, his popularity is what got him his Mii Costume), Krystal was added as a new Assist Trophy, and Lyn is still in the game as well, which doesn't sound like much in her case, but it does indicate that she was prioritized considering that even other simple Assist Trophies from the previous game like Kat & Anna were removed for whatever reason.

Granted, they were definitely out prioritized in the character department (for example, it was either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong), but they did each get acknowledged within the game. Except for Dixie Kong. I guess getting a character overloaded the Donkey Kong content circuits. lol

Dinoman96

Smash Master
I think this is partly false. Isaac was put back in as an Assist Trophy with new functionality, Geno has been recognized by Sakurai several times (in fact, his popularity is what got him his Mii Costume), Krystal was added as a new Assist Trophy, and Lyn is still in the game as well, which doesn't sound like much in her case, but it does indicate that she was prioritized considering that even other simple Assist Trophies from the previous game like Kat & Anna were removed for whatever reason.

Granted, they were definitely out prioritized in the character department (for example, it was either King K. Rool or Dixie Kong), but they did each get acknowledged within the game. Except for Dixie Kong. I guess getting a character overloaded the Donkey Kong content circuits. lol
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Those characters were popular enough to get a consolation prize, but not really enough to be made playable, like with K. Ridley-Kazooie.

RileyXY1

Smash Hero
Since talks are starting to get a bit heated due to a certain poster, let’s change the topic. What are you expecting tonight’s event to be and do you think the smash page will actually announce it tonight or be late again
Last week was a Spirit Event so we're probably getting a Tourney this week.

ZelDan

Smash Master
Since talks are starting to get a bit heated due to a certain poster, let’s change the topic. What are you expecting tonight’s event to be and do you think the smash page will actually announce it tonight or be late again
99% we will get something nobody will give a **** about
1% we will get something tonight we will actually kinda give a **** about.

SKX31

Smash Master
I'm somewhat convinced you don't mean this at all and are only doing this to spark up drama. You can't seriously be coming back onto this thread where people mostly never agree with you and unironically think this time I will say something so opinionated and ignorant that it will get 20 likes.
Wouldn't this being intentional be worse though?

Speak for yourself because I got a lot of what I wanted lmao.
As someone that hasn't gotten a single MW in Smash ultimate (yet atleast), even I had to cringe at that post.
Agreed. I might not have gotten my MW yet, but I got the game I wanted. Around 90 characters, changes from Smash 4 I (mostly) approve off, a lot of content and surprisingly lots of side stuff to do (as long as one remembers to take a break every now and then, doing Sakurai's challenges or the Spirits / WoL in one sitting can be rough. Oh and some Challenges are insanely difficult, like defeating Galeem / Dharkon at once without losing a life.). Oh and also, :ultcloud: turned out to suit me perfectly - I really like the character's ability to switch between Unga Bunga and a more calculated whiff punish style (which is kinda akin to how Cloud is elsewhere, although there are some major differences).

Makes it all worth toughing out the online.

Last edited:

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
I'm hoping for more events to tie into recent and upcoming games. I like getting new spirit battles

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
It'll be a Spirit Event revolving around characters that like eating hamburgers or some ****. I dunno man they pick some weird themes for these events.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
No More Heroes 3 probably, that’ll do a trick with the Travis Mii for his Spirit Battle if you own said Mii

or Undertale at long last, or TMS Encore at long last so Tsubasa won’t be the only spirit from that game anymore PLEASE 😭

Evil Trapezium

Smash Master
NNID
GuyManRunnin
Switch FC
SW-2246-2414-0334
To be honest, I was expecting you to make a Sergeant Cortez joke...
I'm quite insulted you think I'm so one note.

Who are y’all’s MWs actually? I know a few given some of your pfps and devious messages and signatures, eg Rie wants Octoling, Theguy wants Layton and Inferno7 wants Shadow
But yea what are y’all’s MWs?
SGT. CORTEZ?! WHO SAID THAT?!

Time to Split!

Time to Split compressed 2.gif

Wouldn't this being intentional be worse though?
To me, I don't know if it makes that much of a difference. If you think you speak for everyone, you're already wrong.

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
Who are y’all’s MWs actually? I know a few given some of your pfps and devious messages and signatures, eg Rie wants Octoling, Theguy wants Layton and Inferno7 wants Shadow
Hyrule Warriors Impa. I know it'll never happen and I'd be happy with anything Zelda, but she'll always be number one.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Well yeah, that's what I meant. Those characters were popular enough to get a consolation prize, but not really enough to be made playable, like with K. Ridley-Kazooie.
I think it's a bit more complicated than that. King K. Rool vs. Dixie Kong I would agree are a more binary "one is more popular so add that" kind of a deal, but I'd wager the only think popularity ever did for Ridley was get him reconsidered in terms of functionality since he would otherwise have been added long before now. As for Banjo & Kazooie, I think they're just the luck of the draw in comparison to the others.

I think Isaac and Krystal would have had a genuinely good shot at getting in if we got a normal amount of newcomers from the base roster, but neither characters have a broad enough appeal to ever be chosen for DLC. Geno and Lyn I think are just screwed and will never be added regardless of popularity. Geno because of his uh...unique situation, and Lyn because if they're going to add a Fire Emblem character, it's going to be the current protagonist, no exceptions.

TheFirstPoppyBro

ᕦ_(⌐■+|+■)_ᕤ
NNID
breloomer236
3DS FC
2449-4708-5381
Switch FC
SW-7045-4156-8715
Currently Reimu (pfp and location makes that pretty obvious lol) and Bandana Dee (I just want another Kirby character) but I'm fine with pretty much anyone. Banjo and Pyra were some of my most wanteds before the game came out and I got them, so everything else is pretty much a bonus.

AreJay25

May or May Not Be Pac-Man
Rayman, Doom Slayer, Sol Badguy, and Bandana Dee are my top picks at the moment.

Shantae was in that list too, but, uhhh... uhhhh.... yeah!

Last edited:

Þe 1 → Way

Smash Champion
Feels like I’ve become the Pyramid Head stan of this thread. Aside from that. Theres also Phoenix, though he’s pretty popular around here.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Amaterasu, though likely because she was my most wanted beforehand. Now it's mostly just characters I would like to see and characters I haven't seen in action yet.

Though if you wanted an easy way to send me straight to heaven, adding Growlithe would probably do it.

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Holy ****, Ultimate is actually a horribly rushed piece of work that is only as good as it is because of Sakurai, Bamco, and the team doing one hell of a job.

Every single one of us fans have been ripped off by Nintendo in terms of this game, and we continue to be so through the DLC.

Jesus Nintendo, get your **** together and start pumping out those requests because you really have a lot of people to please that you haven't done that good of a job of as much as you've pissed people off.

EDIT: This is a summary of a realization I had about Ultimate's development as well as the history of Smash's development, in combination with a lot of Nintendo's choices during this Switch Era. If you want more elaboration, I can give it, but I was trying to avoid making a big-ass post.
I see you're finally past denial and on to anger re: :geno:

Good for you. Any chance we can expedite the next two?

WahHahaha

Smash Ace

Waluigi is probably my MW. But there are other characters like Crash, Rayman, Scorpion, Master Chief or Phoenix Wright that I want. I also hope we can get a Sony character in this game one day, but that's never gonna happen.

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
Quick reminder, which ones are next?
Bargaining and depression.

And we're all in for another wave of big feelings (fanbase-wide) when FP11 proves to be not who hopes were held out for, and that should be a little bumpy, as it always is, but maybe at the end we can all reach acceptance together.

And then quickly move on to how [INSERT CHARACTER HERE] can get in next time. :p

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
Bargaining and acceptance IIRC.

This is just FYI. I don't want to join in on the ForsakenM hate train.
Bargaining and depression.

And we're all in for another wave of big feelings (fanbase-wide) when FP11 proves to be not who hopes were held out for, and that should be a little bumpy, as it always is, but maybe at the end we can all reach acceptance together.

And then quickly move on to how [INSERT CHARACTER HERE] can get in next time. :p
Wait a minute... how's bargaining supposed to work here? I don't think Nintendo is the kind of company that can be easily bribed by a single fan...

FreeFox

Smash Lord
I hope the next character comes soon so that all this discourse and toxicity can finally come to an end.
At least until the next smash game....

Only missing 2 main wants. Paper Mario and Isaac from GS.

Wait a minute... how's bargaining supposed to work here? I don't think Nintendo is the kind of company that can be easily bribed by a single fan...
"Sakurai might give us characters after FP2"
"It isnt over until Sakurai says its over"
"We might get a new FP"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom