• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

YoshiandToad

Smash Hero
Lastly, does anybody else think that making King K. Rool a Mii Costume was a bad idea? If King K. Rool doesn't get in now there are going to be a lot of angry fans. What do you guys think? Are they pulling the Meta Knight troll, and having King K. Rool planed for the next release, or are they really just slapping all of the King K. Rool supporters in the face?
I'd say the latter, but actually I feel like it's a good stepping stone for K. Rool, a character Nintendo has basically abandoned for years.

Nintendo have now seen how popular he is which, let's face it; they probably didn't realise he was considering they hadn't used him in so long, that he's probably a definite consideration for 5mash. (I refuse to call anyone a guaranteed character)

This may also get Retro to bring him back as the main antagonist of the DKCR games, which in turn, improves his future Smash chances.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
24 hours past, no news yet...
Well, they're up now. Two Bear costumes, Flying Man, and
Lloyd Irving

So much for this batch being a "Nintendo" one. And even more costumes to be announced tomorrow.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, I noticed.

Luckily there's no Wolf/Other popular character costume... Yet.

Ill translate their post later
I don't think Wolf will be added because they haven't done that with veterans.

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet

I can't believe they deconfirmed the bear from Earthbound. I'm so crushed.

Last edited:

TimidKitsune129

Falling into Infinity
NNID
TimidKitsune129
R.O.B. is the only character in Smash that doesn't have a stage yet.

Gyromite when? :3

Calane

Smash Ace
I'm starting to get the feeling that Sakurai is turning any character who gets pretty high on the ballot, that he personally doesn't want to add as fighters, into Mii costumes. I do often hear people request Lloyd Irving (or at least I used to), so I wouldn't be surprised if he got tons of votes already. Sakurai probably didn't want to add him, and came up with a way to dispose of (unwanted) high requested characters while still giving us "fan service" of that character.

I'm probably just thinking too much, though. If for some reason this is true, being a Mii costume is somewhat of a "we're not going to do that, but here, have a costume!" sort of deal. I'm most likely wrong, but it's starting to seem that way to me now.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
R.O.B. is the only character in Smash that doesn't have a stage yet.

Gyromite when? :3
To be fair Dr. Mario isn't confirmed yet.

I'm starting to get the feeling that Sakurai is turning any character who gets pretty high on the ballot, that he personally doesn't want to add as fighters, into Mii costumes. I do often hear people request Lloyd Irving (or at least I used to), so I wouldn't be surprised if he got tons of votes already. Sakurai probably didn't want to add him, and came up with a way to dispose of (unwanted) high requested characters while still giving us "fan service" of that character.

I'm probably just thinking too much, though. If for some reason this is true, being a Mii costume is somewhat of a "we're not going to do that, but here, have a costume!" sort of deal. I'm most likely wrong, but it's starting to seem that way to me now.
I think the opposite. I think every character who is high on the ballot will be Mii costumes, and some will be created later. Iffy on third-parties who currently aren't from Namco, SEGA, and Capcom, though, and even then, I think they're far more likely as Mii costumes than full characters.

Calane

Smash Ace
I think the opposite. I think every character who is high on the ballot will be Mii costumes, and some will be created later. Iffy on third-parties who currently aren't from Namco, SEGA, and Capcom, though, and even then, I think they're far more likely as Mii costumes than full characters.
I can see why you'd think that. I personally don't fully believe what I said either, but there's always a chance that they're really viewing Mii costumes as a consolation prize for the fans of characters they don't want to add to the roster. I hope that's not the case, but I don't know.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
To be fair Dr. Mario isn't confirmed yet.
Well Dr. Mario is considered to be a Mario Character as is the stage if the pictures are to be believed. (Well...The stage isn't a character but you know what I mean.)
R.O.B. is just kinda stuck in the latest retro stage. I Gyromite would be the closest it would ever get to a home stage.

Also, Lloyd Irving Costume 0/10 uses a regular sword.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
I think the game counts Dr. Mario as a sort of half Mario and half Dr. Mario character.

Try going to the sound test and play the Dr. Mario Melee theme. Play a different song, then play it again. You will notice that it is always Dr. Mario that appears in the background.

Before anyone asks, the same is not said for Dark Pit's theme, which still uses other kid icarus characters.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I can see why you'd think that. I personally don't fully believe what I said either, but there's always a chance that they're really viewing Mii costumes as a consolation prize for the fans of characters they don't want to add to the roster. I hope that's not the case, but I don't know.
Well, I do think its a consolation prize for some, but that's likely not the -only- reason.

Calane

Smash Ace
Well, I do think its a consolation prize for some, but that's likely not the -only- reason.
Oh? I have trouble thinking that Sakurai would have people buy both a Mii costume and then buy the character it's based on later. It would make more sense to just bundle the costume with the character themselves if they're eventually going to be added anyway. I'm not saying that Sakurai wouldn't do that, but it would seem a little pointless for the costume to exist at all. I mean, who's going to buy the Inkling costume if you can just buy the real Inkling?

Again, I'm sure I'm wrong, but this whole Mii costume thing just seems like a clever way to not add characters that Sakurai doesn't want in, while at the same time throwing a bone to the people who wanted them.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
How would you guys feel about a future Smash game having no 3rd Party characters at all and going back to being Nintendo centric again

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
How would you guys feel about a future Smash game having no 3rd Party characters at all and going back to being Nintendo centric again
Honestly, I'd rather that than third-parties overpowering first-party characters and becoming far more intrusive than they have been in the past. So many people now only care about third-party characters.

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
I tend to not mind the roster after its been assured that the characters I really like continue to be playable.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
I think so. As Reiman said, the focus is too much on third party characters, and if fans had their way, it would just be MUGAN. I also think we've exhausted the third party characters. After Sonic, Megaman and Ryu, there isn't much that is iconic to Nintendo and that people would all agree on.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I don't really agree that the roster is even CLOSE to being 3rd party centric...it's not like those characters weren't worth adding.

Sakurai isn't an idiot. He picked those 3rd parties for good reason. It'll start getting bad when some horrible choices are made...like 90% of the 3rd parties that are mentioned. Very few meet agreeable requirements imo.

I'm against removing the 3rd parties. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu enrich the game in their own ways. Removing them removes 4 different series that have their own relevance and popularity.

I also personally hate Nintendo supremacists. Not saying anybody here is one, but there ARE other series out there with great characters. Nintendo isn't the be all end all.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I don't really agree that the roster is even CLOSE to being 3rd party centric...it's not like those characters weren't worth adding.

Sakurai isn't an idiot. He picked those 3rd parties for good reason. It'll start getting bad when some horrible choices are made...like 90% of the 3rd parties that are mentioned. Very few meet agreeable requirements imo.

I'm against removing the 3rd parties. Sonic, Mega Man, Pac-Man and Ryu enrich the game in their own ways. Removing them removes 4 different series that have their own relevance and popularity.

I also personally hate Nintendo supremacists. Not saying anybody here is one, but there ARE other series out there with great characters. Nintendo isn't the be all end all.
I'm not like that but feel like First Party should be the first and main focus before touching anything third party related.

Plus, I hate to be mean, I feel like there isn't a lot of 3rd Party characters on the level of :snake::4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu:.
Most of these characters are video game ICONS and most of the request are characters who are fairly popular but aren't icons in their respective genre or leave a major legacy with Nintendo big enough to not be ignored like :4megaman:.

And the only franchises close to that are Castlevania, Final Fantasy and somewhat Tekken/Soul Calibur (Namco's other two big franchises).

I bring up this question due to how many we gotten in total if he series and how many of them are requested.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
I'm not like that but feel like First Party should be the first and main focus before touching anything third party related.

Plus, I hate to be mean, I feel like there isn't a lot of 3rd Party characters on the level of :snake::4sonic::4pacman::4megaman::4ryu:.
Most of these characters are video game ICONS and most of the request are characters who are fairly popular but aren't icons in their respective genre or leave a major legacy with Nintendo big enough to not be ignored like :4megaman:.

And the only franchises close to that are Castlevania, Final Fantasy and somewhat Tekken/Soul Calibur (Namco's other two big franchises).

I bring up this question due to how many we gotten in total if he series and how many of them are requested.
I agree, but then question what you mean by first and foremost when...we have 4 3rd Parties and close to 50 first party characters. The 3rd parties aren't even close to having too much of a presence.

Agreed with everything else though. If they honestly just bring Snake back (and maybe add Rayman later) I think 3rd parties will be fine. But that's just me.

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
I agree, but then question what you mean by first and foremost when...we have 4 3rd Parties and close to 50 first party characters. The 3rd parties aren't even close to having too much of a presence.

Agreed with everything else though. If they honestly just bring Snake back (and maybe add Rayman later) I think 3rd parties will be fine. But that's just me.
I meant from all the of the request from the ballot. I know there's gonna be like 3-4 characters from the ballot they might choose but I feel like first party should be the main focus and maybe one more third party character in the mix but only should be Snake IMO.

I seems stupid from reading it but you can see where I'm coming from. I just don't want other Nintendo franchises to be ignored

PoopFeast420

Smash Cadet
My personal predictions for the next DLC character are pretty good.

Prediction 1: Everyone is happy and praises the **** out of Sakurai.
Prediction 2: Everyone complains and moans as they make claims about how Sakurai doesn't listen to the fans, but still buy the character.

Last edited:

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
I would like to see these third-party characters and stages in SSB5 if not SSB4 DLC.

Simon Belmont (with two stages... one inside the castle... one outside the castle)
Chocobo & Slime (with one Final Fantasy stage and one Dragon Quest stage)
Banjo-Kazooie (with Spiral Mountain stage and Isle o' Hags stage)

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Sakurai really needs to add that Mii Mage class at this point, characters like Melia and Black Mage shouldn't really get the gunner treatment if he decides to add a mage for a Mii costume.

Last edited:

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
A new update hopefully means character updates too
Zelda Buffs plz

D

Deleted member

Yeah, Brash has gotten stale.
You know what Smash needs, though?

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
You do realize this is a NINTENDO fighting game, right. They are the end all, be all.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You do realize this is a NINTENDO fighting game, right. They are the end all, be all.
That's not the point I was making.

The point I was making...especially with the Nintendo supremacists...is that there is nothing wrong with adding characters from other companies. Especially considering we have 4 characters, all whom have their own merits to be in Smash, and roughly 50 Nintendo characters.

The inherent quality of the Nintendo characters left to add, at this point in time, are remarkably different from pre-Smash 4 even. Adding a high quality 3rd party is nothing to **** on.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
That's not the point I was making.

The point I was making...especially with the Nintendo supremacists...is that there is nothing wrong with adding characters from other companies. Especially considering we have 4 characters, all whom have their own merits to be in Smash, and roughly 50 Nintendo characters.

The inherent quality of the Nintendo characters left to add, at this point in time, are remarkably different from pre-Smash 4 even. Adding a high quality 3rd party is nothing to **** on.
The problem comes the fact that "high quality" third party is different for certain people.
For example, I'd prefer several Capcom series to get characters before Namco or Sega gets another...as well as Konami.

Arcadenik

Smash Legend
NNID
Arcadenik
Sakurai really needs to add that Mii Mage class at this point, characters like Melia and Black Mage shouldn't really get the gunner treatment if he decides to add a mage for a Mii costume.
Wandering Heroes from StreetPass Mii Plaza would work better.

Mii Mage wouldn't do solve anything. What niche would Mii Mage cover? Mii Brawler covers hand combat. Mii Swordfighter covers weapons combat. Mii Gunner covers projectile combat.

We have hand combatants who use magic. We have weapons combatants who use magic. We have projectile combatants who use magic.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom