• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
(Apologies for double post, had quoting issues; wish I could merge my own posts)

The ballot was just a glorified suggestion box, after all. Well, it's up to Sakurai and whoever holds the rights for X or Y character now.
Not exactly.
I mean, if My version of Pokemon Trainer gets in to smash- by golly, I will agree with you; its one Ive never seen posted anywhere, and is extremely specific.
Otherwise, I doubt majority of the votes are read by real people. They have no way to see the truly unique options; if there were any chance of individual votes getting to Sakurai, I would truly hope mine did, and got his attention.

*I say with humility.*

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
I saw a case of it a couple of pages ago if you want a recent example. But trust me, we'll most likely get some salt if Wolf or Snake gets back in. We had that a little with Roy and Ryu and I think Lucas (I really wasn't on the site for that)

Maybe it's because I read the comments in the news posts, (they are as awful as youtube comments sometimes) but anti-veteran people (especially for DLC) definitely exist on this site specifically.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think that the veterans lose their hype with people who played them in the past and didn't like them. I still find veterans hype, but I understand the "I didn't like this character before, so why do I want them now?" mindset. Nobody knows how they feel about a newcomer til they play them. That being said, I'm not fond of the mindset I just brought up. I just know and understand that it exists and makes at least some sense.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I saw a case of it a couple of pages ago if you want a recent example. But trust me, we'll most likely get some salt if Wolf or Snake gets back in. We had that a little with Roy and Ryu and I think Lucas (I really wasn't on the site for that)

Maybe it's because I read the comments in the news posts, (they are as awful as youtube comments sometimes) but anti-veteran people (especially for DLC) definitely exist on this site specifically.
...is this a response to me (seeing as only I responded between your last two posts?)
It gives the impression that I agree with you about veterans being as hype-inducing....and I adamantly, whole-heartedly, do NOT believe that they are as exciting, on a personal or global scale.

Last edited:

True Blue Warrior

Smash Hero
NNID
TrueBlueSM
3DS FC
2036-7619-4276
The funny thing about this debate is that there is a good chance we will get a veteran and a newcomer during the next Nintendo Direct.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
The funny thing about this debate is that there is a good chance we will get a veteran and a newcomer during the next Nintendo Direct.
There's not a 'good' chance of any specific next batch, that is a qualifier you are using based solely on your own interpretation.
We have no idea what could come next, and an ample amount of evidence to support a wide variety of claims as to what is next to come.

Last edited:

Lord-Zero

Smash Lord
I mean, if My version of Pokemon Trainer gets in to smash- by golly, I will agree with you; its one Ive never seen posted anywhere, and is extremely specific.
Otherwise, I doubt majority of the votes are read by real people. They have no way to see the truly unique options; if there were any chance of individual votes getting to Sakurai, I would truly hope mine did, and got his attention.

*I say with humility.*
Since 1/3 of PT is already in the game and Sakurai's stance regarding transformation characters remains, I don't think we'll see any PT of any sort, at least until Smash 5 or beyond. As I said, if this was by numbers alone, we'd have SOME results by now. He and his team are most likely going through every single one, even if many of those weren't by real people.

AwesomeAussie27

Banned via Warnings
NNID
AwesomeAussie27
3DS FC
4141-6335-9472
Switch FC
SW-6214-0583-2914
Never knew that the idea of making a thread is hard, but I'm glad that I was able to make it pretty informative for those that never played the Senran Kagura Kagura games before. *sigh*

So what is this direct talk about again? Or are we still in that state of compensation for no information?

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
...is this a response to me (seeing as only I responded between your last two posts?)
It gives the impression that I agree with you about veterans being as hype-inducing....and I adamantly, whole-heartedly, do NOT believe that they are as exciting, on a personal or global scale.
I missed most of your first paragraph, sorry. Let me just respond to it here.

There is obviously a disagreement on the semantics of the word "hype" and its usage obviously varies in context. We have two different interpretations of the word "hype" in this context. You refer to it as something exhilarating and "fresh". I refer to it differently.

On a global spectrum people are going to be more hype about something they want (whether consciously or not). Smashboards kinda skews our view of what people want on a global level because we are obsessed with characters being unique.

This is why people have been ridiculously salty over the past four characters. This is why people hate clones.

The general public probably wouldn't care, as long as they see their favorite character. Sure, a good number of people you would see online wouldn't be hype (Smashboards, GameFAQs, Reddit, Youtube, Facebook etc.), but the people who just play the game for fun or don't take character choices seriously don't mind if a character isn't something fresh.

It really depends on who buys DLC and what they want. Is it the hardened online users who despise characters remotely resembling another or the players who enjoy characters regardless of how they turn out that really matter?

Edit: I've realized a lot of the argument in the spoiler is as relevant to what you are talking about. You can look at it if you want.

Nonetheless, I see your marketing argument and I feel it doesn't really apply to veterans.

Veterans generate hype because people missed characters. You see how brands make seasonal brands (Halloween Captain Crunch is a fair example) or re-brand something as "New" even if it really isn't?

Veterans kinda apply. Old fans can look forward to seeing their character again and new people can look forward to a character they've never seen before. Sakurai isn't doing it for these reasons, but the reactions to a character the same.

Last edited:

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Hey you know what really helps with dealing with a lack of Smash information? Playing the game as it is or keeping myself busy with other important things :troll:

I play Smash Bros. all the time, as well as other games I have at my disposal. I'm getting Halo 5 on Tuesday next week. I'm in the middle of student teaching. I've kept myself busy. Despite not getting a lot of Smash information as of late, it's not ruining my day or making me feel doom and gloom...because I've got my mind elsewhere.

More people should try that. Sure, I'm commenting now and have from time to time recently. Yeah, this site is meant for Smash discussion. But if you keep yourselves busy, the wait for information won't be nearly as bad. This is coming from a guy who can't WAIT to hear what else is coming.

Wiley

Dreamer
NNID
MrWiley
Well, 10 minutes till 12. I've heard that's usually the latest they announce directs for the next day. I had put a lot of hopes into Wednesday but this Saturday was my last straw for leaker validation hype. I feel pretty much like my expectations are at a clean slate again now.

Edit: yep, denied :dizzy:

Oh and Scoliosis Jones Scoliosis Jones , I play smash daily and though I agree with the theme of your comment, it doesn't actually play out like that as far as curbing the hype enough lol. But yes, playing is better than fretting.

Last edited:

ErenJager

Smash Champion
Hey you know what really helps with dealing with a lack of Smash information? Playing the game as it is or keeping myself busy with other important things :troll:

I play Smash Bros. all the time, as well as other games I have at my disposal. I'm getting Halo 5 on Tuesday next week. I'm in the middle of student teaching. I've kept myself busy. Despite not getting a lot of Smash information as of late, it's not ruining my day or making me feel doom and gloom...because I've got my mind elsewhere.

More people should try that. Sure, I'm commenting now and have from time to time recently. Yeah, this site is meant for Smash discussion. But if you keep yourselves busy, the wait for information won't be nearly as bad. This is coming from a guy who can't WAIT to hear what else is coming.
This site is my life bro, I sleep when its on maintaince.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
maybe nothing's happening in October, maybe they wanted a Month to make the model of the character that was chosen so they could show them off in November

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
The next Splatfest was announced by tweet also. So a Splatoon Direct is much more than likely not happening.

Oasis Dealer

"Woah!"
NNID
DarkCloud2469
3DS FC
4639-9066-5866
To say that a veteran couldn't generate as much hype as a newcomer is false, as Mewtwo has shown. I guess you could say that we got all the "popular" veterans back now, but the point still stands. I imagine the only other character to match the outcry of Mewtwo would be Snake, just because people will be confused on how he even came back (And then others being happy on his return). However, I feel like with the Ryu and Roy leaks, it may have messed with people's reactions to those two. Roy would have had people in shock just like Snake, and Ryu would have been on a whole other level.

Thing is, I don't disagree that a newcomer brings more hype than a veteran. I feel like hype for veterans mainly apply's to DLC, since people see that character is coming back again. I imagine there's still a decent amount of other characters that could easily be around Mewtwo levels of hype when revealed.

Though I find it funny how good a character is is what makes people interested in a character when they are released. You'll see barely any love for Mewtwo nowadays because "he's not good at all". People will most definitely not care about that type of stuff, but there's also a good amount who do as well.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman

For the most part people aren't anti-veteran. As long as they reveal a new character FIRST there won't be salt if Wolf or Snake gets back in. Seriously, where do you come up with this?

There's no criteria for this kind of scenario. Its entirely possible, though, and it doesn't matter if a veteran is revealed WITH a newcomer. However, if all they've got is a veteran... yeah, its going to be meh. The only veteran that could really bring that sort of impact was Mewtwo. Roy was a tad bit more hype than Lucas because most people thought all chances of him coming back were dead. Snake would be in a similar boat, but Wolf is the problem factor.

Wolf would be fine, but if all we get is Wolf announced in six months, hell yeah there will be people complaining.

maybe nothing's happening in October, maybe they wanted a Month to make the model of the character that was chosen so they could show them off in November
Incredibly unlikely. They probably started new characters now, but already had some in development before.

To say that a veteran couldn't generate as much hype as a newcomer is false, as Mewtwo has shown. I guess you could say that we got all the "popular" veterans back now, but the point still stands. I imagine the only other character to match the outcry of Mewtwo would be Snake, just because people will be confused on how he even came back (And then others being happy on his return). However, I feel like with the Ryu and Roy leaks, it may have messed with people's reactions to those two. Roy would have had people in shock just like Snake, and Ryu would have been on a whole other level.
Roy would've been a massive shock, but I definitely don't think he'd have generated even anywhere close to Lucas and Mewtwo, because Roy's also got a significant hate base as well due to the perception of him being a third Marth, and FE already having 5 characters. Announcing Ryu at the same time would've softened the blow significantly.

The next Splatfest was announced by tweet also. So a Splatoon Direct is much more than likely not happening.
Splatoon is probably getting a big drop next week I think. Octolings are fully ready to be playable and its October. They're probably going to release them before the end of October. There's definitely not enough for a Splatoon Direct regardless, though. If we get a Direct it'll be a general Direct.

Yellowlord

ゆゆネーター
Splatoon is probably getting a big drop next week I think. Octolings are fully ready to be playable and its October. They're probably going to release them before the end of October. There's definitely not enough for a Splatoon Direct regardless, though. If we get a Direct it'll be a general Direct.
I assume that when you say that the Octolings are fully ready to be playable, you got that evidence from NWPlayer123's tweets from a few days ago? I had compiled them all up in one post in this thread, I believe, so I was just wondering.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I assume that when you say that the Octolings are fully ready to be playable, you got that evidence from NWPlayer123's tweets from a few days ago? I had compiled them all up in one post in this thread, I believe, so I was just wondering.
Yes. She stated there's animations for both male and female Octolings fully ready to go. I believe before there were only female Octolings. Though, some hats look a bit off, so maybe a minor tweak is still needed to get them positioned properly.

well apparently the mobile game could be announced next week so maybe in a Direct....
http://mynintendonews.com/2015/10/23/the-nintendo-mobile-title-could-be-revealed-next-week/
Still need that Pokemon Go news as well. A Direct next Wednesday would be great, they can have it alongside the earnings. Or it can be on Thursday during the meeting.

Last edited:

CodeBlue_

Smash Journeyman
Switch FC
SW-2347-7011-5339
For the most part people aren't anti-veteran. As long as they reveal a new character FIRST there won't be salt if Wolf or Snake gets back in. Seriously, where do you come up with this?
I probably generalized the reaction the site had or Roy and Ryu's reveal a little too seriously then. If you see the comments in the news posts it seems like people were generally opposed to their reveal. I saw a couple of people interpreting the first four DLC characters as "Sakurai isn't giving us unique characters for DLC" (even with Ryu) so I may have overreacted to silly comments.

Who knows if it was the general consensus, I'll have to look back at the news post.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I probably generalized the reaction the site had or Roy and Ryu's reveal a little too seriously then. If you see the comments in the news posts it seems like people were generally opposed to their reveal. I saw a couple of people interpreting the first four DLC characters as "Sakurai isn't giving us unique characters for DLC" (even with Ryu) so I may have overreacted to silly comments.

Who knows if it was the general consensus, I'll have to look back at the news post.
I think that's more because we got too many veterans revealed early on. If there were more Nintendo newcomers people wouldn't be complaining about veterans. And even then, yeah, its a generalization. Most people seemed fine.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
3DS FC
2552-3002-7860
This information drought sucks. But at this point I'd be hella pissed if someone leaked a video of the characters. At this point I wanna hear it from Sakurai himself.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
this game migh be the last smash game that Sakurai will develope, of course he should try his best to finish this game and try to push as much as he can with his workers.
That is the idea, but I don't know if they'll stay together long enough for six more characters total. We'll see what happens I guess.

I'm not particularly fond of Etika's content, but seeing him react to himself being in the game would be hysterical. :4mewtwo:

Even if most of his reactions are fake and blown out of proportion... :rolleyes:.
He knows what gets him subs I guess. I just put something there and he came to mind pretty quickly so ye.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I really don't like Etika. He is too fake and watching his stuff makes me feel literally dumber.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
I watched a video and his first 3 minutes were trying to convince the audience he was hype.
I'd gain more knowledge from watching "The Room" backwards than from Etika.

Anyway,

This information drought sucks. But at this point I'd be hella pissed if someone leaked a video of the characters. At this point I wanna hear it from Sakurai himself.
Agreed. Either it's news from the man, or none at all.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
Since 1/3 of PT is already in the game and Sakurai's stance regarding transformation characters remains, I don't think we'll see any PT of any sort, at least until Smash 5 or beyond. As I said, if this was by numbers alone, we'd have SOME results by now. He and his team are most likely going through every single one, even if many of those weren't by real people.
I will not allow this fallacy to exist, sorry.
There is nothing of Pokemon Trainer in Smash Bros; what you mean to say is 1/3 the Brawl Trainer's Pokemon are in the game...(the Pokemon are not, in any way, the actual character.)
The only thing damning Sakurai is a stubborn notion that whatever a character is conceived to be represented as in his mind, is the only thing it can be in future installments. We have 0/infinity of Pokemon Trainer.

Oasis Dealer Oasis Dealer
Your post literally says first paragraph that a veteran can generate the amount of hype that a newcomer could. In paragraph two, you state its not possible.
Let us get some things clear:
The most wanted veteran was Mewtwo: he is in no way anything other than an exception to the rule. With him, we not only found out about DLC at all, but were assured that veterans from Melee could come back, as well being a confirmation that the 'general fan demand' had been heard.

There is quite literally no veteran in the same boat (with the only two possibilities being Snake and ICs, who would be well received more for being a third party from a dead-gaming company, or proof that prior technical details were not going to be dropped forever). That said, they also each bring in a whole new universe/franchise to the field, and in the case of ICs, one of the most unique 'gimmicks' we have seen within a character.
Veterans arent the same as newcomers because the cannot even climb the ladder of 'unexpected.' There is not a shock value of excitement about a veteran, at this point.

Last edited:
I will not allow this fallacy to exist, sorry.
There is nothing of Pokemon Trainer in Smash Bros; what you mean to say is 1/3 the Brawl Trainer's Pokemon are in the game...(the Pokemon are not, in any way, the actual character.)
The only thing damning Sakurai is a stubborn notion that whatever a character is conceived to be represented as in his mind, is the only thing it can be in future installments. We have 0/infinity of Pokemon Trainer.
not exactly zero. . .
:troll:

Burruni

Smash Hero
We have Pokeballs as items.
That's like all the function of a Pokemon Trainer.
If you had a pitching machine on wheels armed with Pokeballs you'd basically still have the same character.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
We have Pokeballs as items.
That's like all the function of a Pokemon Trainer.
If you had a pitching machine on wheels armed with Pokeballs you'd basically still have the same character.
ll youve proven is that Pokemon has never been represented accurately in Smash Bros. They arent simply generic monsters you summon- which is what Smash would have you believe, and which would account for a **** ton of other series that are NOT smash bros as well.

Pokeballs are not all the function of *a* Pokemon Trainer, they show some of the function of the PT we saw in Brawl; nothing of the actual art of capturing, training, or battling with the Pokemon on a strategic level.

In fact, if you think any of this represents Pokemon as a series or the Trainer, then you better damned be ready to claim that a beamsword represents every single-handed swordfighter we have ever seen in the game.

Last edited:

Burruni

Smash Hero
ll youve proven is that Pokemon has never been represented accurately in Smash Bros. They arent simply generic monsters you summon- which is what Smash would have you believe, and which would account for a **** ton of other series that are NOT smash bros as well.

Pokeballs are not all the function of *a* Pokemon Trainer, they show some of the function of the PT we saw in Brawl; nothing of the actual art of capturing, training, or battling with the Pokemon on a strategic level.

In fact, if you think any of this represents Pokemon as a series or the Trainer, then you better damned be ready to claim that a beamsword represents every single-handed swordfighter we have ever seen in the game.
I grew up on the series since I was 3. Never missed a main game. Watched the show through about halfway of sinnoh.
I'm playing through Alpha Sapphire now.
Good sir, that was raw satire.

Last edited:

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
I grew up on the series since I was 3. Never missed a main game. Watched the show through about halfway of sinnoh.
I'm playing through Alpha Sapphire now.
Good sir, that was raw satire.
Please desist from perpetuating the illogical thought process that even a number of well-respected members on this exact thread carry.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
You want to talk fallacious? Konami isn't a dead gaming company. They're still going to make games. They've said that in articles already.

Kojima may be leaving, and they may be diverting their attention to other areas, but they're still going to make games.

EDIT: Also, enough of the stupid veteran vs. newcomer argument. It's dumb and super subjective, therefore there will never be an agreement.

K.Rool would be incredibly hype worthy, possibly moreso than a veteran. Not ALL newcomers are going to be more hyped than Wolf or Snake though. It's not like any newcomer announced is automatically going to be the greatest thing ever.

Last edited:

Sceptile4Smash

Smash Ace
NNID
waterbottle12
Etika made another fan poll.
Just saying for those who are interested.

Also, about this Veterans vs. Newcomers debate, I say who are you to tell Nintendo what to do?
If Nintendo want to bring back veterans, there is absolutely nothing you can do about it. Besides, who said veterans have to come back through the ballot? Wolf could be in development as we speak.

pupNapoleon

Smash Hero
NNID
NapoleonPlays
3DS FC
5129-1683-5306
Switch FC
SW 3124 9647 8311
You want to talk fallacious? Konami isn't a dead gaming company. They're still going to make games. They've said that in articles already.

Kojima may be leaving, and they may be diverting their attention to other areas, but they're still going to make games.

EDIT: Also, enough of the stupid veteran vs. newcomer argument. It's dumb and super subjective, therefore there will never be an agreement.

K.Rool would be incredibly hype worthy, possibly moreso than a veteran. Not ALL newcomers are going to be more hyped than Wolf or Snake though. It's not like any newcomer announced is automatically going to be the greatest thing ever.
ENOUGH OF THE VETERAN/ NEWCOMER DEBATE!
BUT FIRST, HERE IS (my) THE FINAL WORD ON THE MATTER,
but dont you talk about it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom