• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stromp

Legend
NNID
Stromp
Ura Ura : Testing takes time, you know. As Sakurai mentioned with Mewtwo, even one fighter takes quite a bit of time, especially if that character isn't a clone/semi-clone.
Well we could see more clones ya know. I'm looking at you Wolf. Not exactly a clone but you get what I mean. Possibly Snake too?

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for telling me! :)

Possibly. :seuss:
If you're really subscribing to the idea that the likes of Shantae are getting in just because of a tweet, you're more than likely falling right into the trap.

Substitution

Deacon Blues
NNID
MisterVideo
I believe the three slots are all different variations on Pichu. And anyone here who refuses to acknowledge this miracle is a heretic and a deceiver.

Apart from that I have collectively stopped giving a crap about who it is. I'm going to buy them regardless of who they are, so I'll take anyone at this point.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Where's the love for Magikarp guys? He fits every criteria that Smash fans absolutely detest.

- Is yet another PKMN rep
- Another Gen 1 PKMN
- Joke Character
- Would cost money

He's the perfect salt-inducing machine. Just imagine the reactions to his reveal trailer.

Would legit take him over Shovel Knight though.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Where's the love for Magikarp guys? He fits every criteria that Smash fans absolutely detest.

- Another Gen 1 PKMN
- Joke Character
- Would cost money

He's the perfect salt-inducing machine. Just imagine the reactions to his reveal trailer.

His splash screen would be:
MAGIKARP MAKES A SPLA--oh wait we already did that joke with Greninja. Umm.......

Last edited by a moderator:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
His splash screen would be:
MAGIKARP MAKES A SPLA--oh wait we already did that joke with Greninja. Umm.......
Then the splash screen would go away and come back with:
MAGIKARP: WIELDER OF THE POWERS OF DIE!!!

EDIT: To make this even funnier, I just said that Nintendo would put the word die in a Pokémon character reveal video, when the translation team for Pokémon censored the phrase: "I'd kill for a sandwich". lol

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Sorry, but as someone who thinks Snake isn't ever coming back, let them hope
Thank you sir.

Never be GameOver (MGSV players will be familiar with quote)

If you think about it though - those three (wolf, snake and Dixie) do make the most sense and have all garnered a lot of ballot votes. You can "port" Snake and Wolf with a few changes from brawl - and use Diddys base to create Dixie (similar to how wolf used foxes base to get into SSBB last min)

Seriously, If I had a Smash community thinking a ballot was a "popularity contest" - I would get the characters that got a lot of votes released as soon as possible to avoid an upset community. This means characters with quicker implementation time.

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Personally, I don't think Banana Dee should or will be in Smash because I feel like he's not that diverse of a character. Also, he's kinda a smaller character (not literally) so not a lot love of people know or love him. Like me. Sorry Banana Dee fans, but at least not in this game.

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
Thank you sir.

Never be GameOver (MGSV players will be familiar with quote)

If you think about it though - those three (wolf, snake and Dixie) do make the most sense and have all garnered a lot of ballot votes. You can "port" Snake and Wolf with a few changes from brawl - and use Diddys base to create Dixie (similar to how wolf used foxes base to get into SSBB last min)
Personally, I think Wolf and Snake have a good chance. I have nothing against Dixie but I don't think she should or will be in the game. She's not bad but I feel like out of all the DLC characters Dixie doesn't stand a chance. Also, Daisy as DLC. :colorful:

Yomi's Biggest Fan

See You Next Year, Baby
NNID
Takamaru64
3DS FC
1375-7346-9605
Switch FC
SW-8277-6509-2593

- Another Gen 1 PKMN
- Joke Character
- Would cost money

I'm afraid that you've got it all wrong. There is only one character that can top Magikarp in the salt factor and the worst part is that he's not K. Rool or Dixie. Allow me to introduce you to the one and only shoo-in.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Personally, I don't think Banana Dee should or will be in Smash because I feel like he's not that diverse of a character. Also, he's kinda a smaller character (not literally) so not a lot love of people know or love him. Like me. Sorry Banana Dee fans, but at least not in this game.
1) "Not that diverse of a character." Has an entire weapon archetype that Smash has yet to touch. :4marth: being the closest thing to it. That FOUNDATION proves that he can add diversity.

2) "Not a lot of people know or love him."
2nd Most Requested Newcomer from Japan.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Was in the top 10 or top 5 of them from the "Western" focused poll @BluePikmin11 set up, which included indies and 3rd parties who have more issues into their inclusion.

Nice try. But even Yosuke's lazy eye can see through that shoddy counter claim.

Last edited:

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
1) "Not that diverse of a character." Has an entire weapon archetype that Smash has yet to touch. :4marth: being the closest thing to it. That FOUNDATION proves that he can add diversity.

2) "Not a lot of people know or love him."
2nd Most Requested Newcomer from Japan.
http://www.sourcegaming.info/2015/09/13/japantopdlcpt2/

Was in the top 10 or top 5 of them from the "Western" focused pull @BluePikmin11 set up, which included indies and 3rd parties who have more issues into their inclusion.

Nice try.
Japan. Also most of the time when I mention him to somebody that plays video games (mostly nintendo) they don't know who it is so that what I was basing it off of. Also, I feel like a spear is not that different. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it'll have different mechanics. A spear is just a really long stick with a ? sticking out of the end. It'll be used to poke people from not too far away just like a sword. Let's see who has one of those :4lucina::4marth::4feroy::4link::4tlink::4myfriends::4shulk: and kinda:4robinm:.

Burruni

Smash Hero
Japan. Also most of the time when I mention him to somebody that plays video games (mostly nintendo) they don't know who it is so that what I was basing it off of. Also, I feel like a spear is not that different. Just because it looks different doesn't mean it'll have different mechanics. A spear is just a really long stick with a ? sticking out of the end. It'll be used to poke people from not too far away just like a sword. Let's see who has one of those :4lucina::4marth::4feroy::4link::4tlink::4myfriends::4shulk: and kinda:4robinm:.
And most people didn't know :falcon64::ness64::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::lucas::rob::pit::4shulk: before their debut in Smash but now most are icons for Nintendo fans.

Being the 4th Major Kirby Character who hasn't missed a game of the series since 2008 pretty much disregards him being "irrelevant."

He's highly requested, one of the largest for any first party character. Your scope doesn't reflect our most reliable "representations" of how the ballot should go.

And, in actuallity, the list of swords/blades is :4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4marth::4megaman::4pit::4tlink::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4miisword::4feroy:. That's assuming that a spear will act no differently from a sword which is like saying :4dedede:'s hammer is basically :4myfriends:'s greatsword because they're both long reaching weapons wielded with two hands.

And indicate how few of those characters play similarly!

Last edited:

Xzsmmc

Smash Champion
I'll be upset if SK or Shantae get in, because they have the same issue that caused Takamaru to get ****ed. What makes them and not the 1st party character so special?

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
And most people didn't know :falcon64::ness64::marthmelee::roymelee::gawmelee::lucas::rob::pit::4shulk: before their debut in Smash but now most are icons for Nintendo fans.

Being the 4th Major Kirby Character who hasn't missed a game of the series since 2008 pretty much disregards him being "irrelevant."

He's highly requested, one of the largest for any first party character. Your scope doesn't reflect our most reliable "representations" of how the ballot should go.

And, in actuallity, the list of swords/blades is :4greninja::4myfriends::4kirby::4link::4marth::4megaman::4pit::4tlink::4lucina::4robinm::4shulk::4darkpit::4ganondorf::4miisword::4feroy:. That's assuming that a spear will act no differently from a sword which is like saying :4dedede:'s hammer is basically :4myfriends:'s greatsword because they're both long reaching weapons wielded with two hands.

And indicate how few of those characters play similarly!
Ok first of all how many games a character's been in means nothing. Because if it did then Goomba would have a pretty good chance for smash.
Also, sorry for not getting the list correct. But DDD's hammer is not like a sword because they are made for different things. DDD's is made for power while Ike's is made for mostly speed and a spear would also have range like a sword, poking abilities like a sword, and same purpose of a sword. (power and mostly speed)

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Now entering the polls final moments....I wonder if anything will happen when they close....

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
Ok first of all how many games a character's been in means nothing. Because if it did then Goomba would have a pretty good chance for smash.
Also, sorry for not getting the list correct. But DDD's hammer is not like a sword because they are made for different things. DDD's is made for power while Ike's is made for mostly speed and a spear would also have range like a sword, poking abilities like a sword, and same purpose of a sword. (power and mostly speed)
How many games he's been in wasn't the point he was making. The point he was making is that he's the most important character after Kirby, Dedede, and Metaknight, and that he's been that way for quite some time now.

And you do not seem to understand how to properly use a spear. Or... know what a spear is, based on your description. :p

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
How many games he's been in wasn't the point he was making. The point he was making is that he's the most important character after Kirby, Dedede, and Metaknight, and that he's been that way for quite some time now.

And you do not seem to understand how to properly use a spear. Or... know what a spear is, based on your description. :p
I do admit a ? isn't the best description. Just because a character is important doesn't mean they should be in the game. Toad is important because without him who would notify the princess is in another castle? But he doesn't deserve to be in the game. Which brings me to my next point anyone can be important to anyone. It's just an opinion. I can say I hate Toad and he shouldn't be in the game (not really) then someone else could say they love Toad. Banana Dee being important is a opinion and to me he isn't that important so that's why I also think he shouldn't be in the game.

Markky

Smash Rookie
The 3 I'm hoping for are Wolf, King K. Rool, and (still debating between) Shantae/Shovel Knight

Wolf: Simply for more villain presence in the game, as well as the fact that moving him over, i believe, wouldn't be too tough to do. He has a cool moveset, it would work with promoting Star Fox Zero, it just works out in a lot of ways

King K. Rool: Once again for the villain presence. That, and as far as I can tell, I think he could be a great "grappler" character. I can picture him doing a lot of wrestler-like moves for his basic attacks, with his pirate, boxer, and mad scientist personas being incorporated into his special attacks.

Shantae/Shovel Knight: Up in the air, I just think it would be cool to have an Indie representative, since Nintendo has been doing some good stuff pushing that area, just not sure if they would go for the one that has had a longer history with Nintendo, or the recent hit that heck, already has an amiibo. They both would have pretty cool movesets, no doubt.

Koopaul

Smash Champion
Personally, I think Wolf and Snake have a good chance. I have nothing against Dixie but I don't think she should or will be in the game. She's not bad but I feel like out of all the DLC characters Dixie doesn't stand a chance. Also, Daisy as DLC. :colorful:
I can't believe you're saying Dixie doesn't have a chance but then promote Daisy. That's hilarious!

Wiimas123

Smash Apprentice
I can't believe you're saying Dixie doesn't have a chance but then promote Daisy. That's hilarious!
It's hilarious how you can't back your opinion up. Also, Dixie is just meh. I think she's alright. But out of everyone why Dixie. Also, Daisy deserves it being only in spinoff games besides 1. She is a really diverse character unlike Dixie.

Last edited:

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
It's hilarious how you can't back your opinion up. Also, Dixie is just meh. I think she's alright. But out of everyone why Dixie. Also, Daisy deserves it being only in spinoff games besides 1. She is a really diverse character unlike Dixie.
of all the popular demand characters, the one I don't get at all is Daisy. Like.....all she would end up being is the Dark Pit to Peach. However if we got her as an Alt. Costume to Peach, that would be fantastic. But if I were to take a wild guess, that's exactly what Daisy supporters don't want to happen...

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
I for one would like to have Daisy in Smash one day. She can be a good semi-clone of Peach, basically to Peach what Roy is to Marth. She deserves it IMO.

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
I'm not necessarily saying I don't want her to get in, it's just I don't see what people see in her as a potential Smash bros. character

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
I'm not necessarily saying I don't want her to get in, it's just I don't see what people see in her as a potential Smash bros. character
Well if you look past the fact that Daisy and Peach both wear a dress, you'll see that Daisy has several differences.

Peach is more dainty and feminine, hiding behind Toads and using Parasols to float...

While Daisy is much more rowdy and masculine. There is a lot of untapped potential here, if she's done right she could be a complete contrast to Peach.

Instead of using Toads for protection, Daisy could use Potted Piranha Plants for aggression. If Daisy is flower themed, maybe the team can do something interesting with it. She could plant some daisies as her down B to trip the opponent, or use a flower glider that snaps and does damage.

She's known for sports games? Not a problem. If people think that she looks too similar to Peach then give her that outfit. She could use a baseball glove to catch solid projectiles and pitch them back at high speeds. There's so much they can do for Daisy that most don't realise.

The Dark Pit situation isn't really comparable, as he was added at the last minute...

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Ahahahhahaha... Ha..
Right, Sure, Okay, We can Pretend.

Absolutely false,

Sakurai knew from the start he was gonna make him complete trash- I mean a pathetic stage hazard he said the complete BS about him not being able to fly freely ( :4kirby::4metaknight::4mewtwo::4charizard:), He'd have to be sized-down(:4bowser:), he'd have to have smaller wings and accurate character portrayals are important (:4ganondorf: :4zss:) hilariously Ridley feels incredibly out-of-character as he is Ridley was made into a slow punching bag that barely flies around and gets tamed after a few smacks to the face. That isn't threatening. It's a joke. The main antagonist of the Metroid series, a joke.

There is no GOOD reason Ridley isn't playable, the only reason is Sakurai didn't feel like it.
But the difference is that all these characters fit nicely into the cartoonish artstyle of Smash 4. Ridley doesn't.

I mean, his HUGE wingspan and skinny detailed body makes it a problem to downsize him without making him look like a completely different character. Ridley has notable roles in both Brawl and Smash 4 as an epic boss (That boss fight in one of the events is fantastic).

It's not like how Sakurai treated Waluigi, a character that could fit well into Smash, and just said "Want him playable??? TOO BAD!" and turned him into an assist.

Last edited:

T.R "River"

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Hidanclub
3DS FC
4382-2201-8687
Well if you look past the fact that Daisy and Peach both wear a dress, you'll see that Daisy has several differences.

Peach is more dainty and feminine, hiding behind Toads and using Parasols to float...

While Daisy is much more rowdy and masculine. There is a lot of untapped potential here, if she's done right she could be a complete contrast to Peach.

Instead of using Toads for protection, Daisy could use Potted Piranha Plants for aggression. If Daisy is flower themed, maybe the team can do something interesting with it. She could plant some daisies as her down B to trip the opponent, or use a flower glider that snaps and does damage.

She's known for sports games? Not a problem. If people think that she looks too similar to Peach then give her that outfit. She could use a baseball glove to catch solid projectiles and pitch them back at high speeds. There's so much they can do for Daisy that most don't realise.

The Dark Pit situation isn't really comparable, as he was added at the last minute...
That's fair. I can see that happening

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
But the difference is that all these characters fit nicely into the cartoonish artstyle of Smash 4. Ridley doesn't..
And yet. He's in the cartoony game.

You're saying he doesn't fit the cartoony style but he's in the cartoony game.

I mean Ridley has some problems but artsyle?

That's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard mainly because it has no ground to stand on.

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Dixie is the best tomboy in my opinion.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
And yet. He's in the cartoony game.

You're saying he doesn't fit the cartoony style but he's in the cartoony game.

I mean Ridley has some problems but artsyle?

That's one of the stupidest arguments I've ever heard mainly because it has no ground to stand on.
Let's look at Ridley's current role in Smash 4.

In this game, he is a huge, towering boss that fits in well in Pyrosphere's artstyle. Look at him in comparison to ZSS! But I just can't imagine him fighting in Yoshi's Island or Mario Maker next to Charizard and King Dedede, who fit well into Smash's artstyle.

Swamp Sensei

BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392

In this game, he is a huge, towering boss that fits in well in Pyrosphere's artstyle. Look at him in comparison to ZSS! But I just can't imagine him fighting in Yoshi's Island or Mario Maker next to Charizard and King Dedede, who fit well into Smash's artstyle.
:4ryu: on Wooly World.
:4kirby: on Pyrosphere.

Clashing artstyles is the point.

Last edited:

WeirdChillFever

Smash Hero

There's 51 characters including Ganondorf and Ike that were designed around the Smash 4 artstyle with success yet Ridley will never be able to fit in?

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
That's the idea of crossovers like Smash.

Last edited:

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3

Sure fits the artsyle well.
We he is a final smash and his proportions are good...

Ridley's awkward proportions are an even bigger problem than his artstyle...

....I'm just going to stop talking now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom