• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

PrettyIvyPearls22

Smash Ace
I say we can expect anyone at this point. Most of these characters still have huge fanbases and since we're going off on the whole "fan service" bit I can really see any character. Trying to see who it'd be and guessing the number I think shouldn't matter anymore were almost at the last legs of the ballot. If we get more packs than expected it should be a good thing right? It would mean everyone would be happy, that we could be getting more characters than we originally thought. I wouldn't be suprised if Sakurai decides to give us more because he wants please the fans and be happy that they're character finally made it in.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
The final days, hours even of the ballot could be the difference between a certain character getting in or not.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
I'm only expecting 2 vets, actually. Ice Climbers and Wolf.

It'd be nice if there's going to be 2 vets, 2 newcomers, and 4-6 third-party characters joining the roster.

Newcomers I'm hoping for are Bandana Dee and King K. Rool, and third party characters being Shovel Knight, Quote, Shantae, Rayman, Banjo/Kazooie, and Sora.

I know that's waay too many for third-party, but I can't choose from them all.

Schnee117

Too Majestic for Gender
Switch FC
6660-1506-8804
I'm only expecting 2 vets, actually. Ice Climbers
I wouldn't be expecting the Ice Climbers seeing as Sakurai wants roster parity and they simply don't work on the 3ds. There's also the matter of a single Ice Climber basically being a new character instead of an actual veteran because of the changes that would have to be made.

Talpr1

Smash Journeyman
The final days, hours even of the ballot could be the difference between a certain character getting in or not.
Highly doubt that. Honestly, the bulk of the votes have been sent in the first few weeks of the ballot, there was a sparkle of Wolf votes after Roy was confirmed and another one of K. Rool votes after the reveal of his Mii Costume, but aside from these isolated events the final result was probably already evident in the first month.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I'm only expecting 2 vets, actually. Ice Climbers and Wolf.

It'd be nice if there's going to be 2 vets, 2 newcomers, and 4-6 third-party characters joining the roster.

Newcomers I'm hoping for are Bandana Dee and King K. Rool, and third party characters being Shovel Knight, Quote, Shantae, Rayman, Banjo/Kazooie, and Sora.

I know that's waay too many for third-party, but I can't choose from them all.
I think anyone expecting Ice Climbers are being way too optimistic. The odds of them are slim at best, really. Wanting them is one thing, but expecting them? After Sakurai's repeated statements, no one should EXPECT the Ice Climbers. It'll be a huge surprise if we actually manage to get them.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I looked at the ballot again to see what date it ends. (We have almost exactly two weeks left!) There is something that caught my eye though... It says Your vote may be made public via the Internet. Are they saying that in case for some reason the do want to show us some of the results, or-........Maybe they will show some of the reasons people listed as to why they wanted a winning character.

I think anyone expecting Ice Climbers are being way too optimistic. The odds of them are slim at best, really. Wanting them is one thing, but expecting them? After Sakurai's repeated statements, no one should EXPECT the Ice Climbers. It'll be a huge surprise if we actually manage to get them.
Didn't Sakurai say he gave up on them after taking gravity out of the game?

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
I'm honestly expecting more than two.

The timing of the update being right before the ballot's end reeks of "finishing up" before work on the ballot characters really starts.

I expect two at this update.

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
You know, I do wonder what possible DLC stages could be.(Ones that don't come with a DLC character, like Ryu's Suzaku Castle) I assume there will be at least 1 from Melee or Brawl, and maybe another new stage other than Mario Maker.

Personally I'm hoping for a Hyrule Warriors(/Legends) or XCX stage and the return of Pokefloats.

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
You know, I do wonder what possible DLC stages could be.(Ones that don't come with a DLC character, like Ryu's Suzaku Castle) I assume there will be at least 1 from Melee or Brawl, and maybe another new stage other than Mario Maker.

Personally I'm hoping for a Hyrule Warriors(/Legends) or XCX stage and the return of Pokefloats.
I'm not really sure how a Hyrule Warriors stage would work because... they're all just based on existing Zelda games anyway. A Hyrule Warriors stage would be the same as creating a generic Zelda stage based on typical Zelda themes, the only things that stand out are Valley of Seers and Temple of Souls, otherwise every other level is just based on existing areas in past Zelda titles. And I really don't think they'd draw a stage from Hyrule Warriors at all, if anything I think they'd do a Zelda U based stage to tease that game.

I'm honestly expecting more than two.

The timing of the update being right before the ballot's end reeks of "finishing up" before work on the ballot characters really starts.

I expect two at this update.
The problem is, what OTHER work could possibly be there? They released tournaments already, that was the big update they were working on. Other than that there's nothing else substantial (that we know of) after E3, unless they already started working on additional characters. Which I can totally buy the notion of.

I looked at the ballot again to see what date it ends. (We have almost exactly two weeks left!) There is something that caught my eye though... It says Your vote may be made public via the Internet. Are they saying that in case for some reason the do want to show us some of the results, or-........Maybe they will show some of the reasons people listed as to why they wanted a winning character.

Didn't Sakurai say he gave up on them after taking gravity out of the game?
Taking gravity out of the game...? Either way, he definitely said that he gave up on them. He tried all kinds of things to get them working, including reducing the number of bones (making the animations less fluid).

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Taking gravity out of the game...? Either way, he definitely said that he gave up on them. He tried all kinds of things to get them working, including reducing the number of bones (making the animations less fluid).
Yeah, he tried putting them in zero gravity or something along those lines, I guess to see if the strain of gravity was what was preventing them from working? A real shame.

In the interest of looking back at this post and seeing if we were right or wrong, I'm gonna put down my bet for K. Rool and Wolf, if we only get two characters. If we get three, I don't know who to pick for the third.

CBO0tz

Smash Lord
Alright, well at least I can still hope for Wolf to return with no problems.. Hopefully he'll come bundled with some DLC stages included, like Sector Z and Venom.

It'd be funny if they announced Snake returning to catch a ride on the Metal Gear Solid 5 hype.

So who do you guys think would be more likely to be in Smash 4, Sora from Kingdom Hearts, or Cloud from Final Fantasy?

Alright, well at least I can still hope for Wolf to return with no problems.. Hopefully he'll come bundled with some DLC stages included, like Sector Z and Venom.

It'd be funny if they announced Snake returning to catch a ride on the Metal Gear Solid 5 hype.

So who do you guys think would be more likely to be in Smash 4, Sora from Kingdom Hearts, or Cloud from Final Fantasy?
Cloud. He is certainly an icon of gaming. Sora also has to deal with Disney for licensing and that would almost certainly be worse than dealing with square. (and that is satying quite a bit)
Sora may edge him out in requests but it would probably be like Ryu where he is popular but not requested.

Of course I would much rather have Sora. . .

Wolfie557

Witch-King of the North
3DS FC
3153-4071-1007
Switch FC
SW 3128 8188 4021
I think they are both equal. KH has more recent games on Ninty consoles but FF is the bigger franchise. But if I were to choose just 1 then Sora because of the reason stated.

I don't think Nintendo is stupid enough to add Snake when all that Konami stuff is happening and no MGS5 on Nintendo.

And can we just get a Direct with a new character (cough wolf cough) already. I can't take this anymore. I'm addicted to new Smash things. ;_;

Last edited:

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Yeah, he tried putting them in zero gravity or something along those lines, I guess to see if the strain of gravity was what was preventing them from working? A real shame.

In the interest of looking back at this post and seeing if we were right or wrong, I'm gonna put down my bet for K. Rool and Wolf, if we only get two characters. If we get three, I don't know who to pick for the third.
Personally if its only two, I'd put my bets on K. Rool and Isaac instead. If we only have two characters left, I don't think one of them will be a "fourth" veteran, especially when there's already two very similar characters in the game as is.

Cloud. He is certainly an icon of gaming. Sora also has to deal with Disney for licensing and that would almost certainly be worse than dealing with square. (and that is satying quite a bit)
Sora may edge him out in requests but it would probably be like Ryu where he is popular but not requested.

Neither, since none of the FF VII games have been on Nintendo, so not even Cloud's primary games have been on Nintendo platforms. His only real appearance on Nintendo platforms is in Kingdom Hearts spinoffs.

Actually, I'd downright say Sora is MORE likely, and even he's next-to-impossible because of Disney. Sora has to go through both Disney and Square, and Cloud is among the worst Square Enix characters in regards to Nintendo importance. I don't think either characters would be considered from Square Enix but someone else entirely. Probably Black Mage.

I think they are both equal. KH has more recent games on Ninty consoles but FF is the bigger franchise. But if I were to choose just 1 then Sora because of the reason stated.

I don't think Nintendo is stupid enough to add Snake when all that Konami stuff is happening and no MGS5 on Nintendo.

And can we just get a Direct with a new character (cough wolf cough) already. I can't take this anymore. I'm addicted to new Smash things. ;_;
I wouldn't like a new character if its Wolf, because he's not a "new" character. I want something actually NEW. If they announce an actual new character alongside Wolf I'd be content with that.

Argos

Smash Apprentice

I'm pretty sure Sora is out-and-out owned by Disney. I'd assume that makes things a bit harder, but who knows. I doubt either of them would be the Squenix rep, if there even is one.

I think people are overstating the Konami issues. Konami is getting out of AAA development because they're focused on less risky sources of income, not because they have some burning hatred of their properties or something (this isn't a defense of them btw, they've been horrid). I think they're still likely to be willing to ***** out their IP to Nintendo if they can make an easy buck off of it. Snake himself is a more complicated issue because of Sakurai's friendship with Kojima of course, so I have no idea how that's likely to play out.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Personally if its only two, I'd put my bets on K. Rool and Isaac instead. If we only have two characters left, I don't think one of them will be a "fourth" veteran, especially when there's already two very similar characters in the game as is.
Wolf seems to have substantially more support than Isaac, though, and as a veteran, he would be much easier to put into the game. Not to mention that there is an upcoming (albeit delayed) Star Fox game, compared to no Golden Sun. I don't think we're getting a lot of newcomers, honestly. If they have the choice, I imagine they'll choose the path of least resistance. And considering how vocal Wolf fans are, I'm not sure they'd get flak for it.

I'm definitely reading through this thread again when DLC choices are revealed. It'll be very interesting to see who got it right, who got it wrong, who got it right but maybe for the wrong reasons. Have we become better Sakuranalysts? Have we learned from our mistakes to create a model that accurately predicts Sakurai's behavior? What are the new trends and new fan-rules that will be implemented? I'm looking forward to seeing how the community reacts. Looking through some old posts is sad ("Ice Climbers/Snake are totally in the game, guys, my medium said so") and hilarious ("Shulk is obviously a photoshopped Little Mac, you thick-skulled buffoons"). A sort of meta-meta-game, if you will.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
The timing of votes won't change everything. The ballot is a suggestion box, not a popularity contest.

I don't think it's winner take all. More of, "you all vote, and we'll take the best ideas from the ballot". That's the same mindset of regular selection. For example, if the Top 10 end up being (in no particular order): K.Rool, Wolf, Inkling, Isaac, Snake, Bandanna Dee, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Banjo and Shovel Knight, they're going to review the advantages and disadvantages of adding all of them. They aren't going to just say, " LETS ADD X CHARACTER BECAUSE OF POPULARITY". I guarantee that regular criteria will still apply.

YES, I am aware that popularity takes up a huge part of the ballot. But everybody thought popularity would get Ridley and K.Rool into the base game. How did that turn out?

Bottom line, somebody from the Top 10, no matter what, is going to get picked.

Gunla

It's my bit, you see.
Administrator
BRoomer
Writing Team
The timing of votes won't change everything. The ballot is a suggestion box, not a popularity contest.

I don't think it's winner take all. More of, "you all vote, and we'll take the best ideas from the ballot". That's the same mindset of regular selection. For example, if the Top 10 end up being (in no particular order): K.Rool, Wolf, Inkling, Isaac, Snake, Bandanna Dee, Ice Climbers, Ridley, Banjo and Shovel Knight, they're going to review the advantages and disadvantages of adding all of them. They aren't going to just say, " LETS ADD X CHARACTER BECAUSE OF POPULARITY". I guarantee that regular criteria will still apply.

YES, I am aware that popularity takes up a huge part of the ballot. But everybody thought popularity would get Ridley and K.Rool into the base game. How did that turn out?

I think this because you know there's people with proxies and too much time on their hands.

There's likely some inflated results for joke characters and memes with high votes that will get discarded pretty quick, regardless of the final tally.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
Wolf seems to have substantially more support than Isaac, though, and as a veteran, he would be much easier to put into the game. Not to mention that there is an upcoming (albeit delayed) Star Fox game, compared to no Golden Sun. I don't think we're getting a lot of newcomers, honestly. If they have the choice, I imagine they'll choose the path of least resistance. And considering how vocal Wolf fans are, I'm not sure they'd get flak for it.

I'm definitely reading through this thread again when DLC choices are revealed. It'll be very interesting to see who got it right, who got it wrong, who got it right but maybe for the wrong reasons. Have we become better Sakuranalysts? Have we learned from our mistakes to create a model that accurately predicts Sakurai's behavior? What are the new trends and new fan-rules that will be implemented? I'm looking forward to seeing how the community reacts. Looking through some old posts is sad ("Ice Climbers/Snake are totally in the game, guys, my medium said so") and hilarious ("Shulk is obviously a photoshopped Little Mac, you thick-skulled buffoons"). A sort of meta-meta-game, if you will.
The reason why I don't think they'd do Wolf is BECAUSE he's a veteran. Do they really intend only on adding ONE Nintendo newcomer as DLC? I cannot see that at all. If we have only 2 characters, I don't think we're getting Wolf back, period. (That said I doubt we're only getting 2 characters.)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
The reason why I don't think they'd do Wolf is BECAUSE he's a veteran. Do they really intend only on adding ONE Nintendo newcomer as DLC? I cannot see that at all. If we have only 2 characters, I don't think we're getting Wolf back, period. (That said I doubt we're only getting 2 characters.)
Then why did they choose :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: instead of Wolf if true? Wolf was just as popular as Lucas, so why would you just skip over him? If people want him back, why wouldn't they add him, if a bunch of people are willing to pay money for him, are you just going to ignore them?

Last edited:

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
i personally dont think wolf is coming because in the june direct sakurai said that lucas was there to rep brawl was roy was there for melee and he kinda made it sound like they were the last of the vet DLC.I could be wrong but wolf could get in on his own but i'm not holding my breath

Burruni

Smash Hero
i personally dont think wolf is coming because in the june direct sakurai said that lucas was there to rep brawl was roy was there for melee and he kinda made it sound like they were the last of the vet DLC.I could be wrong but wolf could get in on his own but i'm not holding my breath
Sakurai never said that Lucas or Roy were there to represent a specific game.

You will damn near never hear Sakurai ever use the word "represent," in ANY context.

Last edited:

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
A part of me say that at LEAST, ONE IS going to be from the ones that are wanted, at the very least chosen. But with Sakurai, who knows, unless FANSERVICE trumps the day no matter what. We can't tell until it happens.

Then why did they choose :4lucas::4feroy::4ryu: instead of Wolf if true? Wolf was just as popular as Lucas, so why would you just skip over him? If people want him back, why wouldn't they add him, if a bunch of people are willing to pay money for him, are you just going to ignore them?
Well, maybe because Wolf didn't have as much requests as Lucas? Wolf is wanted, sure, but wasn't as much as the Mother 3 hero. Now that he is in the game, Wolf took the spotlight in that regard. And I think he deserves it, as a veteran.

We're not sure if Sakurai will put out ONLY two characters. He said himselft that we wants to add as MUCH as he could, and that says to me that more than two is possible. But overwhelmingly more than 5 or so.

You will damn near never hear Sakurai ever use the phrase "represent," in ANY context.
And thank god for it. Sakurai's mind has saved us from boring rosters more than enough times.

You referenced repping. Did you really expect me NOT to reply?
Although I do vaguely remember there was meant to be a "NES rep" which became ice climbers (Citation needed)

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
A part of me say that at LEAST, ONE IS going to be from the ones that are wanted, at the very least chosen. But with Sakurai, who knows, unless FANSERVICE trumps the day no matter what. We can't tell until it happens.

Well, maybe because Wolf didn't have as much requests as Lucas? Wolf is wanted, sure, but wasn't as much as the Mother 3 hero. Now that he is in the game, Wolf took the spotlight in that regard. And I think he deserves it, as a veteran.

We're not sure if Sakurai will put out ONLY two characters. He said himselft that we wants to add as MUCH as he could, and that says to me that more than two is possible. But overwhelmingly more than 5 or so.
Lucas was 1st in a Japanese poll, but Wolf was second. My point is that if they knew that Lucas was popular, then they should know that Wolf was just as popular.

Burruni

Smash Hero
And thank god for it. Sakurai's mind has saved us from boring rosters more than enough times.

You referenced repping. Did you really expect me NOT to reply?
Although I do vaguely remember there was meant to be a "NES rep" which became ice climbers (Citation needed)
Whenever picking characters for Melee, Sakurai wanted to try to find someone "lost" in the NES era to be a surprise character. Ice Climbers was the character(s) ultimately chosen because Sakurai saw them and got engrossed into a moveset "gimmick" idea. Excitebiker I believe was one that he specifically cited as an idea but jokingly said he'd have to install ramps on the stages for him.

Giga Kaiju

Smash Lord
NNID
GigaKaiju
Switch FC
SW-8115-0761-4039
Precisely @Obnoxshush.

He is wanted, but at the time, Lucas WAS more wanted. But now, that isn't the case. And the popularity has probably GROW more now that he is the only veteran from Brawl left (plausible. Sorry Squirtle, Ivysaur, PT and Snake...) to possibly join.

SmashChu

Banned via Warnings
When the polls for Melee and Brawl were done, Sakurai actually responded to a lot of the request. You can find some of the Brawl ones here. Sourcegaming has translated some of the Melee (Smash 2) ones.

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
Sakurai never said that Lucas or Roy were there to represent a specific game.

You will damn near never hear Sakurai ever use the word "represent," in ANY context.
you know what i mean
2:17-2:38 in my mind gives me the impression that lucas was chosen as the brawl vet and Roy the melee vet.I love wolf and i want him back but really though how many times are we gonna ear "he'll be revealed here" or "is such an easy character to make" I'm just saying that there's a strong possiblity that wolf could not return and if that's the unpopular opinion shot me for it

Last edited:

Morbi

Scavenger

I believe that timing of votes might change something. It is possible that a different character that was leading the ballot when it first opened is no longer at the forefront. For instance, King K. Rool. He was probably the leading character until the Mii costume was revealed; albeit, the costume probably also earned him some knee jerk reaction votes. Compared to when the ballot opened, it is doubtful that he is receiving a healthy amount of votes. Or the Inklings probably got quite a few votes when Splatoon was basically the only thing Nintendo fans were talking about. Same sort of situation (perhaps).

The votes that came in during that stagnant period, the period after the ballot opened but before Nintendo started to remind people about last minute voting, might represent what the hardcore/persistent players want/expect. Whereas the votes coming out RIGHT this moment are probably indicative of what people are currently interested in. But of course, the very first votes represent what casual fans wanted the most.

I agree that a top ten character, no matter what is going to get picked. Though I would not be surprised if they evaluated characters based on when they received their votes as opposed to the accumulated total. Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
you know what i mean
2:17-2:38 in my mind gives me the impression that lucas was chosen as the brawl vet and Roy the melee vet.I love wolf and i want him back but really though how many times are we gonna ear "he'll be revealed here" or "is such an easy character to make" I'm just saying that there's a strong possiblity that wolf could not return and if that's the unpopular opinion shot me for it
6 veterans were cut from brawl, :lucas::wolf::popo::snake::ivysaur::squirtle:, of the 6 :ivysaur::squirtle: are the least popular, :snake::popo: are popular, but have issues holding them back, and :lucas::wolf: are the most popular ones. Now with Melee it was 5 cuts,:mewtwomelee::roymelee::drmario::younglinkmelee::pichumelee:, :pichumelee::younglinkmelee: are the least popular, :drmario: was added to the base game, though I think people just wanted him back for his down b, could be wrong, and :mewtwomelee::roymelee: were the most popular, though :mewtwomelee: was way more popular than :roymelee:.
:mewtwomelee::lucas::wolf::roymelee:, this is the order by popularity, Mewtwo was the first DLC since he was the most popular, and he was from Melee, Lucas was second and is from brawl. Then they added in Roy, who was less popular than Wolf, and while he was made into a more original character, I still believe Wolf should've got in before him. So now we have :4mewtwo::4lucas::4feroy: in the game, all that remains is :wolf:. The fact that Wolf is so popular right now is why he has a shot in the first place, people want him and will pay money for him. :wolf:DLC=$$$$ for Nintendo, why wouldn't they want to do it? It will make money, it will make fans happy, and it can also be used as a promotion for Star Fox Zero. Sakurai said himself he hates cutting characters, for him to just turn down a popular vet just because Lucas is the brawl rep, would be flat out stupid. Its not like its hard to make Wolf, I'm sure he'd be easier to make than most newcomers due to being a veteran. Also we really don't need to have another "Mewtwo (character that is cut for no reason at all)" of smash, that would be frustrating to the fans and Sakurai.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom