• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
@Burruni saying that Gilgamesh would be a perfect AT made me realize something. If any SE characters got in, Gilgamesh would make the most sense as he's incredibly popular and travels through worlds, hell, you could say he thought the Smash Ball was a sword and it'd make sense
Gilgamesh? If you don't mind, can I ask which one you're talking about?

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
In Final Fantasy, Gilgamesh is the most reoccuring character and unlike other reoccuring characters, it's the same one, he's always looking for the ultimate weapon and a running gag is he mistakes a knockoff for said weapon.
Except for possibly in Final Fantasy IX, where Gilgamesh looks nothing like his appearance in other games.

I'll add that you can go to Nintenzone to talk about Smash 5.

The speculation threads will be closed down after the last DLC character is released, not after the ballot ends, though.

:231:
Im going to assume making a group that is essentially my deconfirmed group but for . . .everyone. . . or even adding them to my current group would be a no go? Too many people and too many threads etc.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Im going to assume making a group that is essentially my deconfirmed group but for . . .everyone. . . or even adding them to my current group would be a no go? Too many people and too many threads etc.
You can if you wish.

If it gets too big, it will probably get into trouble because of lawlessness like the Leaks Group though.

DustyPumpkin

Smash Lord
NNID
DustyPumpkin
3DS FC
4038-5990-1614
Switch FC
0550-6678-6601
So how bout that Nikki eh?
She's super cute, the Mario Maker Costume, Getting her Own game, she's super cute

smashkirby

Smash Hero
She's super cute, the Mario Maker Costume, Getting her Own game, she's super cute
I won't even lie, I actually did support her for Smash. You know, in a way, I sort of got my wish, and as a result, I guess Nikki technically DID get confirmed as a "playable character"...:lol: (To an extent, anyways.:p)

Last edited:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
Well, you can use her as a Mii Fighter. I have as a Gunner.

She might be the first non-generic Mii to get promoted though.

smashkirby

Smash Hero
Well, you can use her as a Mii Fighter. I have as a Gunner.

She might be the first non-generic Mii to get promoted though.

That is true...That's actually what I was hoping for in Nikki's case, but don't get me wrong though, I wasn't really THAT picky about it. Heck, Nikki being a Mii Fighter , personally, was my second option in the likely chance that the first choice would not fall through.

memoryman3

Daisy Obsessed
NNID
memoryman3
Wait...Nikki is getting her own game?

Well I guess that Nikki's already in Smash because she's literally a Mii.

Scoliosis Jones

Kept you waiting, huh?
Writing Team
NNID
ScoliosisxJones
3DS FC
1762-3194-1826
Can I just put out a simple warning to every Smash fan ever?

Everybody was praising Nintendo for the Ballot. Everybody was freaking out with excitement. What's going to happen when a particular character doesn't get in? Everybody is going to freak out negatively.

I'm a huge Smash fan. I've been following Smash, and especially Smash 4 for a long time until recently. Mainly because I started student teaching and am getting to be real busy. However, I would bet that it's going to happen. No matter WHO gets added, there's going to be somebody who's pissed.

Didn't add K.Rool? "WOW THE BALLOT SUCKS"
Didn't add Isaac? "WOW WAY TO GO NINTENDO"
Didn't add Wolf? "WOW SUPER DUMB"

Now, that's not to say you can't be disappointed if you didn't get your most wanted. But let's face it. The roster this time was already pushing 50 prior to DLC, we then got 2 Top veteran picks that fans wanted for more than 10 years (and Lucas), and then an All-Star 3rd Party character in Ryu. The fact that we've gotten so much content is pretty awesome. Not to mention the stages.

Basically, enjoy whatever it is that we end up getting. No matter how you slice it, the remaining content we receive will probably be awesome. I understand disappointment. But I don't always empathize with salt.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
About that, it's natural to feel betrayed if your favourite character didn't get in.

But please stay civil about it. I know quite a few of the people here are rather deeply invested in it, but please don't let your emotions get the better of you. Let's not have a repeat of the post-ESRB leak drama.

KimKarsmashian

Smash Journeyman
Out of curiosity, are people still pushing the Shovel Knight thing? When the amiibo came out, some people said it may take a while for the rumor to actually be disconformed. Does anyone still believe it, or has it fallen by the wayside?

I wonder if people would be less upset if there wasn't a ballot. That is to say, all DLC would have been selected like the one we have now, and there would be no implication that fans have any influence on the results. Would we be chill, or would we still find something to get stressed about? I wasn't here for pre-Smash 4 speculation, unfortunately (although reading the "shulk is photoshopped Little Mac" comments in retrospect was hilarious), so I can't compare it.

I kinda want it to be over so the anticipation and irritation can end. Then we can move on to being irritating about Smash5, as the universe intended.

aldelaro5

Paper Mario P
Canada, Quebec (or Rogeuport if you want)
NNID
aldelaro5
3DS FC
3050-7721-6617

Everybody was praising Nintendo for the Ballot. Everybody was freaking out with excitement. What's going to happen when a particular character doesn't get in? Everybody is going to freak out negatively.

I'm a huge Smash fan. I've been following Smash, and especially Smash 4 for a long time until recently. Mainly because I started student teaching and am getting to be real busy. However, I would bet that it's going to happen. No matter WHO gets added, there's going to be somebody who's pissed.

Now, that's not to say you can't be disappointed if you didn't get your most wanted. But let's face it. The roster this time was already pushing 50 prior to DLC, we then got 2 Top veteran picks that fans wanted for more than 10 years (and Lucas), and then an All-Star 3rd Party character in Ryu. The fact that we've gotten so much content is pretty awesome. Not to mention the stages.

Basically, enjoy whatever it is that we end up getting. No matter how you slice it, the remaining content we receive will probably be awesome. I understand disappointment. But I don't always empathize with salt.
You know I guess I should share my agreement by telling something.

You remember when the paper mario stage got confirmed in a potd and I was basically freaking out with 200+ more alerts?

Well, I never spent a day on the internet that was THIS hype, I wanted to have at least a music and I pretty much got 10 times more. Like, that was so hype, it took me an entire day to believe it.

So now you get why I technically don;t need im to be playable, the only reason I still support him is because I still love him and want him playable, but at the end of the day, it doesn't matter much if he isn;t in. Sure, I might be slightly sad for a day, but I'll jsut move on the day after because anyway, just reminding myself that a stage existed is big. Do you know how many supports thread here would want a stage related to their character? A lot, and although it doesn;t prevent me from want the theater to be a thing, I'm just happy that we got a freaking stage.

True, I still don;t care much on the game lately and might if he gets playable, but really, the worst case is that he doesn;t get in, but has enough votes to be considered for other games anyway......

Personally, I really wish I don;t experience some dr mario flamming like last time in his thread. I am actually more worried about the negative reaction if he isn;t playable than him not being playable in the first place.

TL;DR: you can hope and wish for me, but please please please, accept what you got already so that it doesn;t end in slat no matter what......

D

Deleted member

I got Mewtwo, who was my number 1 most wanted character in smash ever since he was cut. So while i may not get BDee/Isaac/K.Rool/Wolf/Paper Mario, i will always have my favorite character in Smash alongside Mega Man, Little Mac and Roy.

Kirby Dragons

Smash Hero
You know who I want to see in Smash? Someone that uses some form of soul manipulation.

Unfortunately, I'm not sure
A) if anyone can actually do that that can get in.
B) how this ability would actually fit into Smash.

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere

Unfortunately I fear there is going to be way more disappointment if Sakurai fails to deliver on the DLC. Many big fanbases are already on edge, the reason for this is that their character has nothing that could hold them back, except Sakurai. They would be upset because Sakurai decides not to include them because of his bias/ego. If there are only 2 DLC characters left, the best combo that would satisfy the most fans would be Wolf and Krool. These two are some of the biggest fanbases out there, and some of the few characters that have nothing holding them back. Plus their respective series are both down a rep, and they would both print money, and one could serve a double purpose of promoting a new game. If there are only 3 DLC characteers left, then Wolf, Krool, and Bandanna Dee/Isaac would be the best choice and if its 4, then give us the big 4, Wolf, Krool, Bandanna Dee, and Isaac.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
Honestly, I'm half expecting some unpopular characters. Otherwise, what would the point be of the box that has you state the reason for wanting x character. If one of the things people says makes Sakurai go: "OOOH! We could do this with this character!" then boom. Insta-underdog inclusion. So if we get someone like, say, Nintendog, then that would be why.
I really hope people would understand, and we won't have everyone griping about it forever.

EDIT: Well...In Nintendog's case it would also be to cater to a new audience but still.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Honestly, I'm half expecting some unpopular characters. Otherwise, what would the point be of the box that has you state the reason for wanting x character. If one of the things people says makes Sakurai go: "OOOH! We could do this with this character!" then boom. Insta-underdog inclusion. So if we get someone like, say, Nintendog, then that would be why.
I really hope people would understand, and we won't have everyone griping about it forever.

EDIT: Well...In Nintendog's case it would also be to cater to a new audience but still.
The only problem with that is that the ballot is supposed to be fan service, now sure some under dog inclusions like Pious might get people interested in him and accept him, but something like Reckless Wii mote guy would probably just **** people off. People waited months for this, if some obscure character that like 20 people requested gets in instead of a highly requested pick, theirs going to be HUGE fan (possibly deadly) backlash against Sakurai. It would kind of make it look like its just Sakurai picking what HE wants and not what WE want. Again this all depends on how things go, maybe things will be good, but if the ballot characters are Shrek and Goku (not the yuyuki one), Sakurai's dead meat.

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The only problem with that is that the ballot is supposed to be fan service, now sure some under dog inclusions like Pious might get people interested in him and accept him, but something like Reckless Wii mote guy would probably just **** people off. People waited months for this, if some obscure character that like 20 people requested gets in instead of a highly requested pick, theirs going to be HUGE fan (possibly deadly) backlash against Sakurai. It would kind of make it look like its just Sakurai picking what HE wants and not what WE want. Again this all depends on how things go, maybe things will be good, but if the ballot characters are Shrek and Goku (not the yuyuki one), Sakurai's dead meat.
Goku and Shrek would go against the very rules they firmly set in place in the beginning, and I don't think Reckless Safety Wii Remote Guy even qualifies as an actual character. No. If an underdog is going to get in, Its going to either be one of the most known and loved Final Fantasy character, or a Nintendo character that is relatively known such as Ray MK III or Nintendog.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I think people would react quite well to Shrek and Goku. :troll:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Goku and Shrek would go against the very rules they firmly set in place in the beginning, and I don't think Reckless Safety Wii Remote Guy even qualifies as an actual character. No. If an underdog is going to get in, Its going to either be one of the most known and loved Final Fantasy character, or a Nintendo character that is relatively known such as Isaac, Ray MK III, or Nintendog. (though people actually want Isaac.)
I wouldn't classify Isaac as an underdog. He's got some big support here, I'd say he's 4th in terms of most wanted on smashboards behind Bandanna Dee, Wolf, and Krool.
:troll:Somebody once told me...

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
I personally find it ridiculous for people to just expect only popular characters at this point. Sure, there will definitely be some big requests that Sakurai will answer from the ballot and I'm not denying that, but Sakurai will always pull out a surprise or two to keep speculation exciting and not straight-forward and might do so through the pre-ballot characters he's developing. He has stated once that he doesn't just like adding just requested characters in the roster as that idea does not excite him at all. and some of the inclusions in Smash show his skills in roster variety. It goes against Sakurai's philosophy of choosing newcomers in the game.

To go from newcomer variety to just popular characters seems like the complete opposite Sakurai would do. I cannot comprehend that kind of philosophy from Sakurai, it's very hard to imagine even in the case of DLC.

Last edited:

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
I'd expect a K. Rool caliber character and a Chibi Robo caliber character.

At least that's what all my supported characters are banking on.

EDIT: Although at this point in Smash speculation, Sakurai doing exactly what everyone expects him to do WOULD be a surprise XD

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
I personally find it ridiculous for people to just expect only popular characters at this point. Sure, there will definitely be some big requests that Sakurai will answer from the ballot and I'm not denying that, but Sakurai will always pull out a surprise or two to keep speculation exciting and not straight-forward and might do so through the pre-ballot characters he's developing. He has stated once that he doesn't just like adding just requested characters in the roster as that idea does not excite him at all. and some of the inclusions in Smash show his skills in roster variety. It goes against Sakurai's philosophy of choosing newcomers in the game.

To go from newcomer variety to just popular characters seems like the complete opposite Sakurai would do. I cannot comprehend that kind of philosophy from Sakurai, it's very hard to imagine even in the case of DLC.
The common fear is that we think we're just going to get surprise characters and no popular picks, in order to do an effective balance of popular and surprise characters, we need at least 4+ more DLC, 2 popular, 2 surprise.

EmceeEspio

Not the Break Man
NNID
captainlucario
Not going to lie, I would buy and main the hell out of Goku, Day One, regardless of if I have the money or if I would be suited for his play style.

I wouldn't even be mad. Is it a dumb Smash request? Definitely. Will it happen? No, probably not.

But that's the fun in imagining and speculation. It doesn't HAVE to be reasonable. In the end, the result will be determined by a reasonable method of merit and request and many more factors, but the road itself is endless in possibilities.

Also if I want to play Goku I can just play Crusade. :p

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
OK, so here's a new topic, if we can get 4 DLC characters, 2 popular, 2 surprise, who would they be?
Here's my picks,

Popular: Wolf and Krool

Unpopular: Chibi-Robo and Sami

Last edited:

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
The common fear is that we think we're just going to get surprise characters and no popular picks, in order to do an effective balance of popular and surprise characters, we need at least 4+ more DLC, 2 popular, 2 surprise.
Eh. They could do with just one surprise character, and three popular ones. (which seems more likely to me)
OK, so here's a new topic, if we can get 4 DLC characters, 2 popular, 2 surprise, who would they be?
Here's my picks,

Same except replace Sami with King Boo.

EDIT: Scratch that, replace Sami with Ray MK III.

Last edited:

[Obnoxshush/Dasshizer]

Off floating somewhere
Eh. They could do with just one surprise character, and three popular ones. (which seems more likely to me)

Same except replace Sami with King Boo.

EDIT: Scratch that, replace Sami with Ray MK III.
Yeah, 3 popular + 1 surprise would be much better, Wolf, Krool, Bandanna Dee/Isaac, Chibi-Robo.

Bradli Wartooth

Smash Lord
NNID
Aearlir
Popular: K Rool, Wolf (As far as popular, this is a no brainer)

Unpopular: Chibi Robo, Inkling (Although Inkling isn't "Unpopular", it's way lower than the big 4 characters)

I'd prefer Ray 01 or Ray Mk III in ANY of those character's places, but I'm trying to be realistic with this post.

Last edited:

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Here's my picks,

Popular: K. Rool and Wolf

Unpopular: Sakura Samurai and Sylux.

My bro's two cents:

Popular: Snake and Isaac

Unpopular: Sora and Simon Belmont.

Megaboyzzz

Smash Rookie
Out of curiosity, are people still pushing the Shovel Knight thing? When the amiibo came out, some people said it may take a while for the rumor to actually be disconformed. Does anyone still believe it, or has it fallen by the wayside?

I wonder if people would be less upset if there wasn't a ballot. That is to say, all DLC would have been selected like the one we have now, and there would be no implication that fans have any influence on the results. Would we be chill, or would we still find something to get stressed about? I wasn't here for pre-Smash 4 speculation, unfortunately (although reading the "shulk is photoshopped Little Mac" comments in retrospect was hilarious), so I can't compare it.

I kinda want it to be over so the anticipation and irritation can end. Then we can move on to being irritating about Smash5, as the universe intended.
the shovel knight rumor is still in the air it actually is up in the air till the end of October.That's what @Tama said anyway

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom