• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Official DLC Character Discussion Thread - Read the new sticky/announcement

Status
Not open for further replies.

onewhospeaks

Smash Rookie
STAGES
great sea
great bay
new wario stage
new earthbound stage (wii u)

MODES
melee adventure mode
64 classic mode
offline tournament mode

CHARACTERS
mario: paper mario
zelda: impa
dk: the king
kirby:I'll I guess bandana dee
metroid: sylux
f zero:black shadow
star fox: wolf
others: shovel knight, Isaac, captain falcon again, and Rayman

D

Deleted member

As for newcomers, its justified why DK didn't get one until Brawl. The iffy situation during Melee because prevented any Rare characters from making it into the game. If it wasn't for the impending Rare buyout, we probably would've gotten both Diddy and Banjo and Kazooie.
At the same time, we could have easily had a DK newcomer in Melee when clones were added in the form of DK Jr., who wasn't a Rare-made character and had even co-existed with the Rare DK prior to Melee.

When we had "obvious" clones like Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu, it's surprising that DK Jr. apparently never went into consideration.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
At the same time, we could have easily had a DK newcomer in Melee when clones were added in the form of DK Jr., who wasn't a Rare-made character and had even co-existed with the Rare DK prior to Melee.

When we had "obvious" clones like Dr. Mario, Young Link, and Pichu, it's surprising that DK Jr. apparently never went into consideration.
Not a fan of DK Junior, but...that's a really good point. He seems like a decent fit for a DK clone.
Not to mention he could be a nice contrast to DK's power with speed/mobility.

Last edited:

Aetheri

W/E happens don't panic...
Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304

Perhaps he was...he did have a trophy afterall, like other characters who were considered, but perhaps because all of the clones were last minute additions Sakurai probably never got the chance to work on him...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Assuming that YT is a reliable measure of popularity, who is the most popular first-party character? Third-parties aside from Rayman and characters owned by Namco, Sega and Capcom are pretty unlikely for reasons everybody should know at this point, regardless of how much support they get.
A first party barely pops up, can't really recall anything, Wonder Red pops a few times and Krystal does too. Not much you can get from me because I generally saw 3rd parties being requested.

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793

DK Jr. doesn't have a role to fill in the current DK universe. The basis of his identitiy - a smaller partner to DK -has been taken over by Diddy, and there are conflicting statements about the current DK being a grown up DK Jr.

Unlike the other clones who were well known during Smash 4's development, DK Jr never made it past the N64.

:231:

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

DK Jr. doesn't have a role to fill in the current DK universe. The basis of his identitiy - a smaller partner to DK -has been taken over by Diddy, and there are conflicting statements about the current DK being a grown up DK Jr.

Unlike the other clones who were well known during Smash 4's development, DK Jr never made it past the N64.

At the same time, we could have easily had a DK newcomer in Melee

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
My bad.

Well, in that case, DK Jr. wasn't relevant to Rare's DK universe, which had superseded the arcade era. Plus, he didn't have the retro card.

D

Deleted member

My bad.

Well, in that case, DK Jr. wasn't relevant to Rare's DK universe, which had superseded the arcade era. Plus, he didn't have the retro card.

We were talking about how it was because of the Rare issue that we didn't get a DK newcomer in Melee.
I'm pointing out that there was still an option in DK Jr. as one of the late addition clones, who was just playing tennis with the Rare DK one year before Melee.

Last edited by a moderator:

FalKoopa

Rainbow Waifu
BRoomer
3DS FC
1650-3685-3998
Switch FC
SW-5545-7990-4793
We were talking about how it was because of the Rare issue that we didn't get a DK newcomer in Melee.
I'm pointing out that there was still an option in DK Jr., who was just playing tennis with the Rare DK one year before Melee.
I wanted to say that the clones were important characters in recent games of their franchises, but I realised Pichu doesn't fit in that mould.
Was Pichu particularly promoted when Gold/Silver were released?

D

Deleted member

I wanted to say that the clones were important characters in recent games of their franchises, but I realised Pichu doesn't fit in that mould.

I don't think Pichu was promoted more than the others, though Pichu was one of the popular ones.

And then there's Dr. Mario, since Dr. Mario 64 wasn't released in Japan until 2004(?) in the Nintendo Puzzle Collection as simply "Dr. Mario".

Last edited by a moderator:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725

Pichu I think was the poster child of baby Pokemon one of the new exciting features of Gold and Silver.

AncientTobacco

Smash Lord
Maybe the reason we haven't heard anything new is because the next announcement/release will be Wolf, and they want to pair that up with a new Star Fox Zero trailer?

As in "STAR FOX ZERO HYPE!!! Oh, by the way, Wolf is now out for SSB4."

Last edited:

The Light Music Club

Smash Master
NNID
_TLMC_
3DS FC
0576-6097-0725
Maybe the reason we haven't heard anything new is because the next announcement/release will be Wolf, and they want to pair that up with a new Star Fox Zero trailer?

As in "STAR FOX ZERO HYPE!!! Oh, by the way, Wolf is now out for SSB4."
Personally I feel the direct may have been delayed with the passing of Iwata.

JaidynReiman

Smash Hero
NNID
JaidynReiman
I think there's still a Direct coming, it was just delayed. Might even have the first ballot character.

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Were going to at least get 1 ballot character by October even if we have to wait for the others. I can't imagine the dev team not having at least one character done by October when they had since E3 (possibly even before) to make a character.

Unrelated but I really want this theme song in the game as an optional Menu theme. Why it didn't get in the first place IDK but it would be really awesome as a Menu theme.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Honestly, I'm not expecting anything from the ballot until a couple months AFTER October.
Unless they want to pull a Mewtwo and just show the model. But that'd be lame...
True.
I was just speaking in terms of "I don't expect anything to be shown from the ballot before the ballot is finished".

BKupa666

Barnacled Boss
I think we're definitely getting something shown in October so as to not have a situation where the team simply acknowledges the ballot's end with a wink and then apologizes for yet another wait. This month, though...less sure on that, and it depends on when, if at all, ballot choices were started and how many there will be.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Anything shown before October should probably be assumed to be pre-ballot.

You know... Just to be safe. :/

~Krystal~

True American Heroine
No one wants Snorlax or Lickitung?
I haven't given them much thought tbh. Snorlax would have to be the heaviest character yet. It weighs over 1,000 pounds. Lickitung would be cool, but seems to be an overlooked Pokemon. I never hear much about it.

D

Deleted member

Actually, Bowser may be the heaviest in-canon.
DK is 800 lbs, and I'm pretty sure Bowser is supposed to be much heavier than DK in the Mario series to the point he breaks the 1000 lbs line.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would say Bowser beats Snorlax in weight. But Mushroom Kingdom has cartoon physics so weight may not mean much.

Last edited:
No one wants Snorlax or Lickitung?
Lickitung is a "1 of 700" deal
. . . Or however many pokemon there are now. . . Where he really isnt relevant and doesnt have huge moveset potential or a real gimmick to go for him. He has a tongue but that isnt enough to get the masses riled up.

Snorlax is a pokeball pokemon and may fall under "too big" for some people.

Pretty sure they both have support for pokken though :)

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
I would be alright with a Mario-only or Pokemon-only Smash. We already have the Smash-4 engine. Use that.

In terms of DLC, I would not mind a grass type. They were always my favorite along with bugs.

Last edited:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
Pokemon only Smash game would be amazing not gonna lie!

Champ Gold

Smash Scrublord
3DS FC
1779-2820-4833
Switch FC
SW-1452-9841-1035
Pokemon only Smash game would be amazing not gonna lie!
I likely imagine it like that most of Pokemon will have movesets resembling Smash fighters like Blaziken as :4falcon:, Slaking as :4dedede:&:4dk:, Mineshao as :4wiifit:, Gardevoir as :4zelda: and Apom as :4diddy:

Aetheri

Switch FC
SW-3397-5428-2304
I likely imagine it like that most of Pokemon will have movesets resembling Smash fighters like Blaziken as :4falcon:, Slaking as :4dedede:&:4dk:, Mineshao as :4wiifit:, Gardevoir as :4zelda: and Apom as :4diddy:
Yeah and Pikachu as:4pikachu: and Lucario as:4lucario: and charizard as:4charizard: and...wait a sec...

That's the thing about pokemon there's enough to work with for a 50+ roster easy...Why do you think so many are hyped for Pokken? Being able to go ham with Pokemon in a fighting game environment is a cool step up to the regular turn based RPG of the official games...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom