• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DITCIT- Combos and strategies

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
U.S., Maryland (Eastern Time, UTC - 5hrs)
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Hello Everyone!

This technique can be better explained in this video:
Major credit to @xlvan321

So it's basically a smash 4 glide toss that can be used for movement, kill confirms, combos, and probably much more!

For those who have trouble on the timing:
The way I wrote it should signify at any point between :GCDR:(here) and :GCR:(here) is where it should start, while ending :GCUR:(around this point) and sometimes :GCR:. In my experience, it sure helps a lot to start form the lowest point. The way it works is you'd have to press :GCA: to throw it but in very similar fashion of the other methods, it must be done in quick succession.

:GCN:+:GCA: play the biggest role in this while the smash commands are what come second which is why I recommend to hold :GCA: then press :GCB: after correctly flicking the control stick, but don't relax inbetween both buttons. When I say quick, I mean QUICK. (both buttons have to be pressed nearly at the same time.) You have a small window opened for :GCB: to be pressed, and yes, the non-c stick method does sound difficult, but once you understand, this can be relatively easy especially with a lot of practice.

To understand how AB Smash generally works, refer to this post:

Combos
DITCIT Melon -> Fsmash is a true combo at all percent ranges.

DITCIT Cherry -> Usmash is a true combo at all percent ranges

DITCIT Cherry -> Fsmash or Dsmash only work at low to mid percent ranges.

DICIT Bell -> Fsmash -> Anything
The bell lands the same time as the Fsmash does if spaced properly, but if you do it closer to your opponent, the bell will hit first.

DICIT Any fruit -> Grab
This may turn out to be one of our most valuable tech in the future.

Bell DICTIC uthrow to Dtilt to sideB. If you are close enough and dtilt your enemy it will be launched in the opposite direction and the will be stunned by the bell

Bell DITCIT uthrow -> grab-> back throw -> Fsmash/Usmash

Kills from 80-100%!!

DITCIT Cherry -> Bair
Kills at the ledge at low 100%

Go insane and get creative!!

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Yo bro, I might main Mega Man whom is a primary focus, but I promise I'll assist in DITCIT stuff when I'm back home. Since I do have it completely mastered and stuff like that. I'll do the same eventually for Adult Link but for a character like Pac-Man, I assume its likely to be far more intricate due to simply having a lot more projectiles.

I'll post videos for Pac Man soon.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
Yo bro, I might main Mega Man whom is a primary focus, but I promise I'll assist in DITCIT stuff when I'm back home. Since I do have it completely mastered and stuff like that. I'll do the same eventually for Adult Link but for a character like Pac-Man, I assume its likely to be far more intricate due to simply having a lot more projectiles.

I'll post videos for Pac Man soon.
Awesome man! I really appreciate the help.

Also, holding the control stick diagonally down first helps A TON. Thanks for that explanation bro.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
OoO this is incredible! I need a wii U :(
You can do this without a Wii U. The TC quoted my post talking about the non c-stick method. Which means it can be done on the Wii U too.

The only bad thing about Pac's slide is that its not as long as others however there are still a handful of benefits such as conditioning shield and combos. On the Wii U, if you change the controls on the Wii Nunchuck you could do a pivot slide which is great for a retreating defensive option but is no where as beneficial as say when a character like Mega Man does it because it can help him personally safely retreat from reflectors and likely be uneffected if his Metal Blade were reflected.

I don't play as Pac Man and I'm trying to look into ways to collecting his items. So far I figured cherry and strawberry are the easiest for me to catch, but there's others like Key for example that are too fast unless I wall bounce it. I'm also finding that I can't pick up an item a second time which is odd. He'd benefit even more from this tech if he could regrab the item and slide across the stage.

Awesome man! I really appreciate the help.

Also, holding the control stick diagonally down first helps A TON. Thanks for that explanation bro.
Also, you're welcome

Last edited:

AdaptiveTrigger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
AdaptiveTrigger
3DS FC
4055-4954-5664
I'm not sure I fully understand the inputs for this. Elaborate please? (Using a gamecube controller)

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
Dash Flick upward from anywhere between bottomish to diagonally upward. then press and hold a then press b. Both buttons need to be hit nearly at the exact same time.

Inputs look something like this

:GCR:(Dash) >>>:GCDR::GCR:/:GCUR:(Flick without breaking your dash or flicking all the way up)+:GCA:(Hold)>>>:GCB:

If you correctly did this, you should get a forward toss with a slide.

It may be small of a slide but what I'm finding is you could possibly jab lock from Pac-Man's DITCIT by following up with a footstool. I've tried with Mega Man and the whole footstool to extended combo works, now I just gotta test Pac-Man.

For reference of similarities of what I am talking about in another character (Meta Knight):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZB7rcDuMzs

I'll update you if something like this works for Pac-Man.

Last edited:

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
I'm still trying to find something more ground breaking that would make the slide more useful. One thing I may have found is you could probably still use the GC remote and forward smash throw for a slide... but only for Pac Man and Link. I've been trecking the Link boards and apparently they've always had DITCIT, however the inputs are very different. I tried to see if it would work with Pac Man and it seems to output the same as the AB Method. Link's DITCIT is apparently unique because he can fake out.

https://youtu.be/ehq_R47QBko

In case you think I'm joking, check the date too. (Pre-Mewtwo patch date.) Personally as someone who's never played Brawl competitively, this is news to me but its led to this interesting find so I apologize in advance if any of you kinda knew it existed. What I also found from playing the non-updated Smash is that there was a big change in the C-Stick that made it possible for more than just a single character.

Just to be extra clear, Mega Man cannot input it in the following method since it doesn't translate to a long slide, but rather similar effect to jump cancel item toss for him. Down toss for him has an effect longer than Jump Cancel Item Toss, but isn't as far as his forward DITCIT.

Alt commands for DITCIT (Pac-Man) if I remember correctly:

:GCR:(Dash)>>>:GCDR::GCR:(Flick)>>>:GCA:(optionally :GCZ:)>>>:GCCD:(or):GCCL:/:GCCR: (each direction has their own respective effect)

One other update is, I've kinda given up on trying to footstool from DITCIT for extended combos since Pac-Man doesn't slide far enough and doesn't seem like a very viable option anyways for being far too difficult for him to pull. Perhaps he can do this during early % with his key since it has piercing properties much like Mega Man's "saw" or Metal Blade, but I haven't had success. I'm still looking at what you can do with his slide from all possible angles.

Last edited:

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm still trying to find something more ground breaking that would make the slide more useful. One thing I may have found is you could probably still use the GC remote and forward smash throw for a slide... but only for Pac Man and Link. I've been trecking the Link boards and apparently they've always had DITCIT, however the inputs are very different. I tried to see if it would work with Pac Man and it seems to output the same as the AB Method. Link's DITCIT is apparently unique because he can fake out.

https://youtu.be/ehq_R47QBko

In case you think I'm joking, check the date too. (Pre-Mewtwo patch date.) Personally as someone who's never played Brawl competitively, this is news to me but its led to this interesting find so I apologize in advance if any of you kinda knew it existed. What I also found from playing the non-updated Smash is that there was a big change in the C-Stick that made it possible for more than just a single character.

Just to be extra clear, Mega Man cannot input it in the following method since it doesn't translate to a long slide, but rather similar effect to jump cancel item toss for him. Down toss for him has an effect longer than Jump Cancel Item Toss, but isn't as far as his forward DITCIT.

:GCR:(Dash)>>>:GCDR::GCR:(Flick)>>>:GCA:(optionally :GCZ:)>>>:GCCD:(or):GCCL:/:GCCR: (each direction has their own respective effect)

One other update is, I've kinda given up on trying to footstool from DITCIT for extended combos since Pac-Man doesn't slide far enough and doesn't seem like a very viable option anyways for being far too difficult for him to pull. Perhaps he can do this during early % with his key since it has piercing properties much like Mega Man's "saw" or Metal Blade, but I haven't had success. I'm still looking at what you can do with his slide from all possible angles.
You could try it using the Orange from the lazy fruit custom. It's probably the only fruit that had as much hitstun as the metal blade outside of the bell.

Maybe try the lazy key as well since it pierces, but hits multiple times and travels slower. I can help test

Last edited:

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
The melon is INCREDIBILY USEFUL, I suggest using this one specifically to grab because it makes the melon trail behind you ! Another useful one is the strawberry, i DITCIT upwards and that makes it so the opponent cant roll behind you, plus you can attack right off the throw letting you follow up with anything, bait rolls and follow up from the strawberry hit, plus the strawberry lasts soooo long thrown up ! Ill be testing the other fruits application in matches on the ladder today and throughout the week.

BSP

Smash Legend
I

This isn't coming out for me. After the dash, are you rolling the control stick to :GCDR: or flicking it too?

Maziyah

Smash Apprentice
Basic DITCIT Input:

Hold :GCR:, :GCZ: -simultaneously->:GCCU:

OR
With Tap Jump Off, Tap :GCR:, :GCZ: -simultaneously->:GCU::GCA:

OR
With A+B Smash on, Hold :GCR:, Hold :GCA: -very quickly-> :GCU::GCB: I copied thos from the mega man boards and the last one works so easy !

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
This isn't coming out for me. After the dash, are you rolling the control stick to :GCDR: or flicking it too?
Yes, it must be done without breaking your dash. You roll it to that direction and some movement is needed on the control stick. I think you can also flick all the way up too if you wanted to. Its basically the same thing as upward DITCIT only replace Up on the C-Stick with any other direction. You must have Smash Stick on though.

If you refuse to change the stick, then you could go with AB Smash if you'd like but you cannot pivot from AB Smash.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
You could try it using the Orange from the lazy fruit custom. It's probably the only fruit that had as much hitstun as the metal blade outside of the bell.

Maybe try the lazy key as well since it pierces, but hits multiple times and travels slower. I can help test
Go ahead and help if you like, I need to get his customs anyways lmao, but I didn't think of that though. I'll try it once I unlock it.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
I need to get this down consistently, but I have a few ideas on stuff that could be done with this, on top of all the stuff Pacman9 tested in the other thread.

Hopefully by tomorrow I should have more to contribute. Melon, Galaga and Bell all look very useful though.

xIvan321

Smash Journeyman
NNID
xIvan321
It would be so cool if Pac Man could regrab his thrown items. Would his customs allow that? (Because I might suspect that from a few custom battles.) It would be super useful so one could DITCIT across the stage like how Mega Man can down toss his metal blade with a jump cancel.

Huge

Smash Apprentice
I'm sorry, but I'm just not getting this. Could someone please explain the exact inputs and timings required to do this forwards with the GameCube controller? I've been labbin' for a bit, but something just isn't clicking.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
After some testing with the other fruits, Lazy fruit seems to benefit the most. Orange travels on top of you and inflicts the opponent with high hitstun, galaxian gives you a temporary leaf shield (that can rack up 24%), strawberry flies into the opponent's head to cover the jump option...
They are all pretty great.

Edit:
Freaky strawberry and cherry are cool too since they drag the opponent towards you. Good for grab followups, smash attacks, combos, and at high percentages you can kill opponents.

DITCIT Freaky strawberry -> Fsmash in opposite direction is a legit kill confirm (since the strawberry will do enough knock back to pull them behind you at high %s)

Freaky galaxian can be good to clear the opponent's projectiles out of the way since it cancels out other projectiles and travels quickly in a straight line (like the Bonus key)

Last edited:

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
I'm still struggling with this...am I right to assume that the actual input varies between characters? post #10 in this thread seems to imply this, or maybe I'm just confused.

I was able to super dash a couple of times with megaman but not once with Pac. :/

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
I'm still struggling with this...am I right to assume that the actual input varies between characters? post #10 in this thread seems to imply this, or maybe I'm just confused.

I was able to super dash a couple of times with megaman but not once with Pac. :/
I agree. I can only do this consistently with pac and none with mega

I do this with my eyes closed as link though lol

Last edited:

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667
I don't understad the inputs for this. Can someone explain it ? I did it 3 or 4 times but I think it is REALLY hard

What do I do?

Right(Dash), up, rightdown , right, right up, a , b. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....I'm now sure why yet...

Huge

Smash Apprentice
I don't understad the inputs for this. Can someone explain it ? I did it 3 or 4 times but I think it is REALLY hard

What do I do?

Right(Dash), up, rightdown , right, right up, a , b. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't....I'm now sure why yet...
Right? It took me long enough to learn to perform the easy up-throw slide (Z+up smash)! No matter what buttons and timings I try, I just can't seem to make this work, and I don't see anyone who can perform the tech elaborating well... also, since the slide I just mentioned still works, I don't think that this was patched out.

You better get it, man! An actual demonstration is the only way I'm going to get this down!

abit_rusty

Smash Lord
NNID
Rontuaru
3DS FC
2895-8974-0662
Okay, after 2+ hours of training this godforsaken technique, I think I got it. I am not at 100% (hell I'm more like 40%) but I can consciously choose to perform the inputs and know what happens on screen is the exact product of my hand movements. Let us clear up all the ambiguities in this thread:

First, the only consistent sequence that I used which was even able to get the DITCIT to come up was:

Holding fruit, facing right:
:GCR::GCDR::GCR::GCUR: >> :GCA:(hold)>>:GCB:(hold)

Facing left, just reverse direction:
:GCL::GCDL::GCL::GCUL:>>:GCA:(hold)>>:GCB:(hold)

That sequence should result in Pacman doing a glide-toss movement forward (gaining a reasonable distance) while staying in a standing item-throw animation. If you see Pac sort of trip and throw, you did not do it right. If you see him up-throw and only barely move, you did not do it right. It is a fairly significant dash movement.

Key points:
- Quickly roll the control stick movements. Start with the dash forward, then roll from diagonal-down-forward to forward to diagonal-up-forward.
- You do not need to "maintain the dash", and by that I mean you don't need to start off running. You can do a standing DITCIT just fine. Or one right out of a foxtrot.
- Pressing the A button comes almost simultaneously (nearly immediately) after the diagonal-up-forward movement
- Pressing the B button comes after A just as fast (and I mean a fraction of a second after). When you get the muscle memory down, it almost feels like you are pressing both simultaneously.
- I am not sure if you have to hold A, but from experience holding it doesn't interrupt the technique and it's just one less thing to think about. (Just think roll stick -> Hold A>>Hold B immediately)
- The entire sequence of inputs must be performed VERY quickly. And I do mean quickly. To give you an idea of how quick, do a fox trot. (Flick the analog once in a direction). In that span of time, you need to have completed the entire input sequence above.

Tips:
- Go to training mode, set up 2 cpu's on each side of you on the far ends of an omega stage, and spam bananas. This serves 2 reasons.
1) You save yourself the time of having the pull out fruit since training with the banana item has the same effect. The more times you can practice in a row, the quicker your muscle memory should develop.
2) Having a cpu on each side makes the camera zoom out instead of onto you, so you can see your movement completely to tell if you're DITCIT-ing correctly.​
- When I first started out, I found it was much easier/consistent if I did one or two fox trots before doing the DITCIT input above. I'm not sure why, but I think it has to do with getting a feel for the timing and speed required (hence my foxtrot example above).
- Sometimes you will up-throw DITCIT. This is likely due to you rolling the control stick all the way up before pressing A>B
- Make sure you are consciously finishing the control stick movements before even hitting A>B. This was difficult for me at first because it requires such a fast input speed, but with practice I got the feel for it.
- On that note, practice, practice, practice. It took me over 2 hours (your mileage may vary) until I could even hit a respectable consistent performance. I do find that I am much more consistent with the fox-trot method. So try that first before you do a standing DITCIT.
- Seriously, you have to do this all REALLY quickly. I can not emphasize that enough. If you are frustrated because you can't get it to come out, try putting the inputs in faster.

Good luck guys. The inputs on this feel really strict so I'm still trying to get this down pat. I'll be doing DITCIT motions in my sleep.

Last edited:

Huge

Smash Apprentice
Let us clear up all the ambiguities in this thread:
Thank you so much! Seconding PEPESPAIN; that is exactly what I needed, a clear explanation.

Actually got it for the first time a bit after reading your post! Very, very tough for me, but still a breakthrough. Thanks again! You should post this on the advanced techniques thread if you haven't already.

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Thanks Rusty. I was getting it about 10% of the time but couldn't identify exactly what I was doing to make it work. This helps a lot.

Nu~

Smash Dreamer
NNID
EquinoXYZ
@xylvan321 discovered another way too!

:GCR:>>>:GCA:+:GCB:>>>:GCUR:/:GCU:

This way, you don't have to press A slightly before B. You can do both at the same time. It feels a lot easier and I can do this one consistently

Last edited:

fromundaman

Henshin a go-go Baby!
NNID
Fromundaman
3DS FC
2105-9186-1496
Oh okay, so it's one or the other; I thought you had to slide from one to the next.

Also A+B pressed together, and do you have to hold them?

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

This way, you don't have to press A slightly before B. You can do both at the same time. It feels a lot easier and I can do this one consistently

Uhm I'm going to try the new method ....

PEPESPAIN

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PEPESPAIN
3DS FC
1306-8476-2667

I can do this one consistently too. THANKS!!!!

Top Bottom