• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social Diddy Kong Social Thread

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
I'm trying out a new controller after messing up the joystick on my old one due to smash monkey flip abuse.
Now i can't seem to do it consistently. I dont understand why. I can smash attack with the joystick 99.9% of the time, in any direction, especially f-smash, but i can only get smash monkey flip 20% of the time. I've tried using the same timing as smash attacks, little later, little sooner, little harder, little softer, and nothing.
does anyone have any tips to getting smash monkey flip consistently? I really need to get it 100% since i usually get punished for my side B not going as far as i wanted it to.

HyLeN

Smash Rookie
NNID
HyLendaBess
3DS FC
5155-3262-7849
What's happenin everybody? I was wondering if there was a diddy kong skype group, if there is I would like to join if possible. I've secondaried the character for quite some time now and would love to get in contact with some other diddy players out there.

LiL.Will

Smash Journeyman
NNID
ZOMGitzWill
3DS FC
2208-5740-6357
What's happenin everybody? I was wondering if there was a diddy kong skype group, if there is I would like to join if possible. I've secondaried the character for quite some time now and would love to get in contact with some other diddy players out there.
Hey whats up i've seen you before in Texas whenever I come down there for tournies but we've never met. Always wanted to play your TL though. If you want to join the group just message me your Skype name and i'll add you.

BlakBlastoise

Smash Rookie
Hey whats up i've seen you before in Texas whenever I come down there for tournies but we've never met. Always wanted to play your TL though. If you want to join the group just message me your Skype name and i'll add you.
Can you add me also? I posted my screen name in the skype chat thread a while ago and never got added. Skype name is: Blakblastoise

Spatman

Smash Ace
I fear a future nerf to Diddy's upsmash

moreover, I played some Brawl in the past few days. How much was beautiful Diddy Kong with 2 not_nerfed_to_hell bananas and his previous popgun?! ;__;
much funnier than Sm4sh Diddy, imho

Andaya

Smash Cadet
NNID
Andaya505
3DS FC
3909-8269-9964
I thought this clip could interest you guys :)

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So, I'm not sure if you guys know about this, but I noticed something interesting about your Side B.

At the weekly smashfest I go to, we've been periodically observing an oddity where, while grounded, after being grabbed by Monkey Flip and getting hit by the forward attack, we somehow lose our second jump. It was really inconsistent though so we just kind of assumed it was the game's buffer being stupid again.

However, recently, as Wii Fit Trainer, I got hit by the forward attack of the Monkey Flip grab, and somehow, the soccer ball from my Header appeared right before I went flying away (I was mashing to try to escape). I looked into my character's frame data and noticed that the ball actually appears on Frame 1. So... I guess that means there's a single frame between you hitting us with that move and us actually flying away where we can perform an aerial action? Seems kinda strange, eh?

Luckily for you guys, there don't appear to be any Frame 1 aerial moves or any moves that are invincible on Frame 1 in Smash. Although, it turns out Mega Man's UpB is Frame 1 so that might be worth checking out?

Last edited:

Player-1

Smash Legend
So, I'm not sure if you guys know about this, but I noticed something interesting about your Side B.

At the weekly smashfest I go to, we've been periodically observing an oddity where, while grounded, after being grabbed by Monkey Flip and getting hit by the forward attack, we somehow lose our second jump. It was really inconsistent though so we just kind of assumed it was the game's buffer being stupid again.

However, recently, as Wii Fit Trainer, I got hit by the forward attack of the Monkey Flip grab, and somehow, the soccer ball from my Header appeared right before I went flying away (I was mashing to try to escape). I looked into my character's frame data and noticed that the ball actually appears on Frame 1. So... I guess that means there's a single frame between you hitting us with that move and us actually flying away where we can perform an aerial action? Seems kinda strange, eh?

Luckily for you guys, there don't appear to be any Frame 1 aerial moves or any moves that are invincible on Frame 1 in Smash. Although, it turns out Mega Man's UpB is Frame 1 so that might be worth checking out?
there was a video made about the losing jump

https://www.reddit.com/r/smashbros/comments/3q6jhm/how_to_prevent_diddys_side_b_from_taking_your/

villager also has his lloid appear on frame 1

Mr. ShinyUmbreon

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
0576-7060-3860
Hello, I've been looking for a secondary to my Pit, not really to help out with bad matchups, but just to have another character to play and add more variety to my gameplay. I was Picking random while playing with my friends, and I stumbled across this character, I had watched ZeRo's diddy kong and remembered some of the cool set-ups Diddy had with the banana, I had a surprisingly fun time with diddy. Though having fun is enough of a reason to pick up a character, just for ****s and giggles, why do you guys think I should Pick up diddy?

Sonicninja115

Experiment. Innovate. Improve.
Oi, this thread is dead...

So, Diddy is still relevant guys.... Hello?

Last edited:

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Pretty sure he still is, but not too many people play him. Might eventually be our advantage in the end. I really can't think of too many top players that are 100% Diddy mains. MVD and Jaytails are the only big names that come to mind. ZeRo is mostly Sheik, even if his Diddy is the best of the world.

Am actually pretty sure that Diddy is better than the likes of Mario, Ryu, Fox and Ness. Hell, he might even be better than Pikachu and Rosalina. Or at least be pretty damn even with them.

Sonicninja115

Pretty sure he still is, but not too many people play him. Might eventually be our advantage in the end. I really can't think of too many top players that are 100% Diddy mains. MVD and Jaytails are the only big names that come to mind. ZeRo is mostly Sheik, even if his Diddy is the best of the world.

Am actually pretty sure that Diddy is better than the likes of Mario, Ryu, Fox and Ness. Hell, he might even be better than Pikachu and Rosalina. Or at least be pretty damn even with them.
Jtails has gone over to the dark side....

I agree somewhat. Though I usually place Diddy at the bottom of super-viable. I think he is overhyped usually. Though he is still a very good character.

Have you seen TO11and Ibuypower? ZeRo also fought Anti at E2C 20, they have vids on eventhorizongaming, ZeRo shows some new stuff and does his usual best in the game thing.

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
Gotta love his use of nana-walk-dtilt-fsmash to close stocks at 60ish % now

Sonicninja115

Gotta love his use of nana-walk-dtilt-fsmash to close stocks at 60ish % now
Usually he doesn't walk, he stuttersteps. I am going to see if it is possible at higher percents with walking, but I am 90% sure it has to be a stuttersteep

Lylo

Smash Cadet
NNID
Chompypy
3DS FC
0490-8557-3079
He does calmly walk to dtilt after nana :p.
Im not talking about ss fsmash but just the dtilt part.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hey, old diddy main, but I quit cause all the nerfs made it tough to rethink my diddy. I'd like to come back though now that he's calmed down. I think I need to learn all the banana-giens cause I never got very deep into it (I just loved his quick aerials and smashes).

Sonicninja115

Hey, old diddy main, but I quit cause all the nerfs made it tough to rethink my diddy. I'd like to come back though now that he's calmed down. I think I need to learn all the banana-giens cause I never got very deep into it (I just loved his quick aerials and smashes).
I have a semi guide in the works on this forum, check it out! I am still making it, but I do have a banana section.

divade

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Divade011
Hey, if anyone's up for helping me with Diddy (and maybe facing some bowjr if you want) quote me within the hour. I'd like to bring him back to at least a secondary. (rip my brawl Diddy skills)

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
I'm curious, do we have any mods for the Diddy Kong boards? Is Delux still on here? I've never seen any that are regularly active, but the Diddy Kong boards are one of the few places on SmashBoards that isn't filled with cancerous flame wars (at least since post 1.05). So, surely there are some mods in the background right? Or are people *gasp* getting along without any form of intervention?

Sonicninja115

I'm curious, do we have any mods for the Diddy Kong boards? Is Delux still on here? I've never seen any that are regularly active, but the Diddy Kong boards are one of the few places on SmashBoards that isn't filled with cancerous flame wars (at least since post 1.05). So, surely there are some mods in the background right? Or are people *gasp* getting along without any form of intervention?
Nope, no mods. I put in an app for this board, but ai haven't heard back yet.

Heart of Ice

Smash Cadet
Nope, no mods. I put in an app for this board, but ai haven't heard back yet.
I'll vouch for you if you need it, bro. I won't lie you, are by far our most helpful member on the Diddy boards. You're always labbing combos and new techniques. You are always creating helpful and well-organized threads and you have a youtube channel to showcase some of these techs. You are always so friendly and eager to help others that I can't think of a better choice for mod. You agree guys?

Sonicninja115

I'll vouch for you if you need it, bro. I won't lie you, are by far our most helpful member on the Diddy boards. You're always labbing combos and new techniques. You are always creating helpful and well-organized threads and you have a youtube channel to showcase some of these techs. You are always so friendly and eager to help others that I can't think of a better choice for mod. You agree guys?
I think they now that the Diddy boards need a mod. So it will probably be Pazk? Me, or another experienced mod from a different board.

Thanks for vouching!

Last edited:

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Hi I'm new and would like to make my diddy good can anyone play me and tell me what I'm missing in my gameplay? I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing in positioning :( I'm hoping copying what you guys to punish me would help >.>
I'm not new to smash I'm just new to the diddy boards :) so hi guys

Sonicninja115

Hi I'm new and would like to make my diddy good can anyone play me and tell me what I'm missing in my gameplay? I can't seem to figure out what I'm missing in positioning :( I'm hoping copying what you guys to punish me would help >.>
I'm not new to smash I'm just new to the diddy boards :) so hi guys
If you can't get anyone to play with you, try uploading a match and posting it in the video thread.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
This is the most recent match of me. I have never played another diddy. I played j j rocket in tourney one time and I just wasn't ready to deal with my own character :p

Sonicninja115

This is the most recent match of me. I have never played another diddy. I played j j rocket in tourney one time and I just wasn't ready to deal with my own character :p
You have a really good Diddy Kong, my only big suggestion for it would be to mix up your combos a bit more.

Other then that, I think it might just be fundamentals, practice or something else being off. Because your Diddy Kong seems on point.

Pazx

hoo hah
NNID
Pazx13
I think you should pull bananas more frequently, there were many occasions in that set where you had stage control or your opponent was flying away and you sort of just did nothing. Be more optimal, use this time wisely. I liked your throw combo game against Bayonetta, although in game 1 you got a lot of uthrow into nothing. In this situation, bthrow is your most damaging throw so it should be used (position dependant). In game 2, you got uthrow uair a few times at percentages where you could have uthrow fair/baired, both of these are better options (although I understand being scared of witch time might encourage you to hit her as soon as possible). Game 2 was good, well done.

You dash to shield a lot, I'm not sure if it's too much but you definitely got punished for it sometimes (two shield breaks being the most obvious, it's okay, it happens to the best of us, and holding shield is definitely a Diddy thing that is extra prominent against Yoshi). Try to mix up your escape options out of Yoshi's neutral B, don't airdodge onto platforms.

Brown NITE

Smash Apprentice
Thanks for the advice guys :) I've been trying hard to work on my fundys. I didn't know yoshi a weight so my up throw combos just weren't there :( I don't know why my brain isn't always telling me to get a banana but I'll work on it :) about the whole dash shield thing I think it's because I'm not fox trotting and I wanna get an down tilt out asap so I'm thinking I gotta learn to slow down my excitement:p

What are my options out of yoshis neutral b I kinda freak out >.>

Thank you so much for the advice :) would any of you wanna play online so I can steal some tech :p

Sonicninja115

Thanks for the advice guys :) I've been trying hard to work on my fundys. I didn't know yoshi a weight so my up throw combos just weren't there :( I don't know why my brain isn't always telling me to get a banana but I'll work on it :) about the whole dash shield thing I think it's because I'm not fox trotting and I wanna get an down tilt out asap so I'm thinking I gotta learn to slow down my excitement:p

What are my options out of yoshis neutral b I kinda freak out >.>

Thank you so much for the advice :) would any of you wanna play online so I can steal some tech :p
All my tech is in my threads!... sorta...

Out of Neutral B, you can immediately mash out, or wait a bit. The opponent wants to hit you with the full smash attack, as it only does half damage in the egg. It becomes a mini mindgame.

Also, have you BSD's staling video? I believe that the best way to mash is probably with only the circle stick.

Top Bottom