• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DIDDY HAS BEEN NERFED

Status
Not open for further replies.

DelxDoom

Smash Lord
this character is still ridiculously good. he's just not KOing off dtilt fair near the edge or random uairs anymore.

yes, this is a big nerf, but diddy's tools go deeper than that.

banana "nerfs" reported by this thread seem like ... the banana hasn't changed at all. it is summoned with down B, it can be thrown once and it will stay, and it can be thrown a second time or more or dropped and it will disappear when it hits the ground.

jab has always been terrible.

fsmash nerf is a real nerf. where he had absurd and undeserved air KO moves, now he doesn't have absurd air KO moves and must use ground KO moves, so fsmash nerf hurts a lot. it still kills, but like a decent amount later.

uair and fair frame data feel exactly the same. i can do dthrow uair uair uair in tmode as a true combo. only does ~24 instead of 29, but that's still a lot.
3 uairs has always been DI dependent.

Last edited:

Teran

Through Fire, Justice is Served
Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Hey guys just FYI, Sakurai was dumb enough to reduce the knockback on Diddy's throws, uthrow to uair is now a lot more reliable and can kill off the top at old hoo hah percents.

We still kickin

main.png

Phenomiracle

Smash Ace
The Rosie 1.0.4 treatment.

Seemingly heavily nerfed at first, but still a rock-solid character safely within the top 5. Once you guys get over your freakouts, you'll see that Diddy is still one of Smash 4's best.

Last edited:

PUK

Smash Ace
NNID
Simlock92
3DS FC
4141-4118-5477
Which character zero, M2k, and every other trophies hunter will use now.
Rosalina has some bad matchup, sheik always struggles. Seriously Diddy didn't deserve a nerf, he was a source of health for the metagame. Now we have no king, it's the anarchy.

NerdThomas3

Smash Cadet
NNID
ThomasLee1993
3DS FC
1865-1735-0762
I'm sure players will still find a way to get use to Diddy's nerfs. They always do. I'm just glad that I don't have to see him in EVERY Smash 4 match.

David Galanos

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Apost1e
Yeah. I mean when Greninja was rekt, people did drop him, like a lot of people, but he is still a good character, just took some getting used to

Cloudy

Smash Apprentice
They could have buffed everyone or nerf diddy... and they went the easiest route (which I don't blame them).
He still looks like a good solid character, and now if you pick him people won't see you as cheap, trying to win easily with his HOO HAH (and now Sm4sh haters won't use hoo hah as a way to hate the game)

LRodC

Smashing With Mewtwo and Cloud
NNID
LightningrodC
3DS FC
1461-6200-7452
Come on guys, this should have been expected. Now to see who the true dedicated players are.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
The thing is because I'm used to people DI'ing out of my hoo hahs, the throw to kill setup was never really my bread and butter.

The frame data seems intact so that's good. Idk who's saying fsnash was nerfed but it doesn't seem to be.

Wait dthow was weakened, so I wonder....

LordCQ

Smash Journeyman
I don't get why everyone in the Smash community are making such a big deal about this.
Because they want to main the arguably best character in order to feel the best players and they can't handle it so they're not that good players actually.

Alondite

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Exaccus
Diddy was balanced exactly as he should have been. He's still a good character with good hitboxes and frame data; the organic elements of a character will always be the most important.

Balancing down is almost always the best design, unless there is an overall dearth of options (which is ridiculous to even consider in Sm4sh). Weakness and vulnerability creates the push-pull of interplay, and interplay is the core of gameplay.

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
I need to test rage hoo hahs since his throws have reduced knockback, he might actually have received a buff in the sense that he can secure KOs in rage where he couldn't before.

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
Still feels easily top tier, no one else's aerials but Sheik's can compete. Up air and forward air just don't completely annihilate people anymore.

None of the bottom tier characters seem to have gotten buffs other than damage adjustments because ????

Kero the Invincible

Smash Apprentice
So, this means......I can finally pick up Diddy without fear of the bandwagon? And he's still good but not overly cheap?

Perfect!

It'll be great to play as one of my favourite Nintendo characters once the "top teers" shuffle out.

Naglfarii

Smash Journeyman
Diddy is probably still the best character in the game largely because all the best characters in the game keep getting worse. I just hate how they're handling these patches. The 3DS patch was more forgivable because it was so early into the game's lifespan. This time however, it's a bit less forgivable.

You're comparing a fighting game to a MOBA. Your comparison sucks.
What, did you expect them to buff 48 characters instead of nerfing one?

Emblem Lord

The Legendary Lord
NNID
ShinEmblemLord
3DS FC
3926-6895-0574
Switch FC
SW-0793-4091-6136
This thread...

brings shame on the followers of the Hero-King

InfinityZERO

Smash Apprentice
NNID
CeroCulpa
3DS FC
0447-5489-0482
Which character zero, M2k, and every other trophies hunter will use now.
Rosalina has some bad matchup, sheik always struggles. Seriously Diddy didn't deserve a nerf, he was a source of health for the metagame. Now we have no king, it's the anarchy.
A king without counters doesn't help the metagame, it ruins it. Characters need counters or else the meta suffers.

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Man, all y'all complaining need to get over it. Diddy might have legitimately been op and now he's closer to the rest of the roster. If you cant win now, then clearly you sucked to begin with since you obviously needed that crutch. Diddy is still a very strong character. You'll just have to get creative and stop relying on down throw up air.

Last edited:

Cenizas

The Zelda We Need, But Not the One We Deserve
3DS FC
1032-1809-6196
The nerfs were needed. While Diddy was certainly not as bad as MK was, a single character dominating the meta is never healthy. I've fortunately never encountered a Diddy with half a brain, but my sympathies go out to those who have. For current Diddy mains, why not just stick him? He no longer really has a chance at best character in the game, but he's a definitely soild top tier. Show that you're dedicated. Showing you'll be there for Diddy through thick and thin will gain you a reasonably fair amount of respect, from me at least. Make a statement for yourself that says, "I'm here to play Diddy Kng the video game character, not the fighter." Wether you stay here or not, these boards will become more refined than was before.

And to those of you who plan on switching, now that you've lost your crutch, I hope you develop some actual skill. Because
dongstorm.jpg

Snackss

Smash Journeyman
What, did you expect them to buff 48 characters instead of nerfing one?
Considering that in a patch only a few weeks after launch, Ike got a decent buff to his neutral air (still bottom tier) and Shulk got a couple buffs that took him from "boring sword guy" to M O N A N D O B O Y (a flexible and actually pretty strong character, I mean), I was certainly expecting them to be able to do more with 6 months of data. They don't even seem to have addressed that Sheik's frame data and needles make a joke out of 90% of the cast.

Last edited:

Cypher99

Smash Cadet
Diddy did not need a nerf. Maybe the could have buffed a few characters to counter him but they seriously need to stop nerfing characters. The few characters who actually have options are losing them fast. It's turning the game into a boring and usually random competition of who can land the most "reads" which can easily turn into simply waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.I think this is by far the most dissapionting smash brow game.

Last edited:

Teran

Super Moderator
Premium
BRoomer
3DS FC
3540-0079-4988
Yeah for now I think I still like Diddy just fine, his toolset and playstyle is intact which is what I was most worried about with straight nerfs. I'd actually call this more of a tweak than a straight nerf, I need to do more work on uthrow setups but I think it shows promise.

Last edited:

ZSaberLink

Smash Journeyman
Folks here are complaining too much imo. Link just had his Jab 1 stripped out of him (that's what he uses for all his kill combos), so that's a far worse buff so a much lower tier character. I think Diddy seems like a pretty solid character still, just not as cheap/simple as he used to be. Apart from Zero, I rarely saw a Diddy I thought actually was doing anything that interesting (this includes Mew2King), so maybe we'll see some far more creative Diddy playing from you all when the simplest option isn't necessarily the best one =). Seems like UThrow -> UAir is still somewhat intact, so perhaps that's your alternative?

Last edited:

InBOUNDHD

Smash Cadet
So as of now, what are our kill options? (e.g jct -> fsmash, upthrow -> upair)

FooltheFlames

needs hugs~<3
Gotta love how after every balance patch, the game becomes more slower paced from by making it difficult for any character to get kills in this game and by worsening the frame data for a lot of characters. At the rate we're going with these balance patches, five years from now this game might literally become Brawl 2.0 because all the best characters in the game will have so much end and ****ty followups it'll be way slower paced. I am so annoyed his forward smash now has more end lag. Why the **** are the developers hell bent on balancing this game through massive nerfs instead of majorly buffing the cast? A lot of outsiders who don't play this game would probably find it more entertaining to watch if the game was faster paced, yet this game's pace is progressively getting slower through more end lag and making all the good characters struggle to get a single kill. It's bull****. When the 3DS version came out, everyone felt so fluid, able to all sorts of cool combos, etc. But every ****ing update keeps making a lot of the best characters less fun to play as. I loved how Diddy was such a fluid, fast character with an excellent combo. His down throw now sucks. The point of using down throw in this game has primarily been for combo followups. Now it looks like we'll mostly have to rely on up throw because that now has less knockback...which makes me further wonder why the **** they nerfed down throw so much if they were just going to lower the knockback to up throw. Doesn't make any damn sense.
AGREED.
They are going in the complete OPPOSITE direction they should be with these stupid patches! Let's keep our fingers crossed this will be one of the last ones- leave Smash 4 alone already Nintendo! :cry:

pollo20x6

Smash Journeyman
Diddy did not need a nerf. Maybe the could have buffed a few characters to counter him but they seriously need to stop nerfing characters. The few characters who actually have options are losing them fast. It's turning the game into a boring and usually random competition of who can land the most "reads" which can easily turn into simply waiting for your opponent to make a mistake.I think this is by far the most dissapionting smash brow game.
Nerfing Diddy will make the game more interesting. Even if they buffed others, all Diddy players were doing is down throw up air. Boring. To buff others to that level, they'd have to give them equally boring and simple set ups. Then we'd have a game of "who can wait for the other guy to leave themselves open for a grab". I am excited to see what Diddy mains do now that the character requires more creativity.

speedguy20

Smash Cadet
NNID
speedguy20
I...is it safe to play Diddy? Should I be careful of buthurt people still?

Shinuto

Smash Champion
NNID
Shinuto
3DS FC
4682-8633-0978
F Air is also weak they said, how weak exactly...?

Also what moves DIDN'T they **** with?

Side B
B Air
F Smash
Dash attack

Are these still good??
all I hear is whining my OP main isnt easy win anymore...

Indefinite Minimum

Smash Journeyman
I think this nerf was a very good thing in the sense that there is no longer a "best" character. Sheik and Sonic had slight nerfs as well and they were the only other characters considered to be"S" tier. Now that there is no best, there will be no easy target for people to complain about as being over powered. If there are less complaints about the top tiers, we may see less nerfs in the future and more buffs to the weaker characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom