• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

BarDulL

Town Vampire
@ BarDulL BarDulL

In your opinion, what are the best investment options for long term growth?

Assume that savings put in will not be withdrawn and roughly $500-$1000 goes into the savings account on annual basis for the next six years.
the tl;dr of it is that it depends on the amount of risk you're willing to work with and how long you're willing to wait.

low risk low reward short term, CDs. medium risk medium reward, bonds (depending on amount of years and the type of bond). high risk varying reward emotional roller coaster looking to have fun, stock market.

basically, bonds can be scary business in the event the bond becomes insolvent, unless you buy a bond from a company that you know isn't going to go down under any time soon.

CDs have much less risk involved since they generally go for at most 5 years and are attained through banks (and the likelihood of banks failing in that amount of time is incredibly low.) has a lower payout than bonds but literally the 'safest' option in terms of risk.

bonds can become insolvent but have a higher APR of course in comparison to CDs. purchase them from entities you know will pay back, i.e. government bonds. of course the APR yield on government bonds isn't as high as bonds from corporations, but only because corporations have a chance of stumbling which isn't an impossible outcome.

once i'm done with college and have my CPA certification i will probably be investing safely in very long term bonds (30 year, since longer notes means higher APR) while also building up a 401k so i can be hella tax efficient. i will probably dabble in mutual fund indexes as well. my only real qualm with the whole thing though is that i'm going to be an old timer with money to burn, which will inevitably lead to me driving around beautiful young women in fancy cars. jk, it'll probably go towards my kids. if i have any. otherwise, i'm goin' with the former.

stocks...well, if you have play money and you're willing to live the hardball yolo life, then go for it. i will probably end up messing around with the stock market when i actually have play money, but investing in bonds will take precedence since i am not well versed in playing the stock market.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
So, I want to build a desktop, but I am not a computer geek. I do not want to build a giant killer, just something that can handle what I want to play (League of Legends probably being the biggest game I'm gonna be running) at 60 FPS. However, I would like to do it as cheap as possible. I have two desktops with a couple of years on them that I can cannibalize and I am wondering what I can salvage and what I'll need to buy. Again, I would like not to build a giant killer. I've got a birthday coming up this month and I'm likely going to put some of this on my wishlist, so I would really like help as soon as I can get it.

Tagging @ Overswarm Overswarm because he knows everything and I could use an essay on the subject.

#HBC | Acrostic

♖♘♗♔♕♗♘♖
I just used zillow to get an aerial shot to confirm which address was the one I needed out of a past history of GPS searches. Then I put in my own home address. Holy crap.

Handorin

Smash Hero
So, I want to build a desktop, but I am not a computer geek. I do not want to build a giant killer, just something that can handle what I want to play (League of Legends probably being the biggest game I'm gonna be running) at 60 FPS. However, I would like to do it as cheap as possible. I have two desktops with a couple of years on them that I can cannibalize and I am wondering what I can salvage and what I'll need to buy. Again, I would like not to build a giant killer. I've got a birthday coming up this month and I'm likely going to put some of this on my wishlist, so I would really like help as soon as I can get it.

Tagging @ Overswarm Overswarm because he knows everything and I could use an essay on the subject.
Check this link out: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
It gives you the requirements and/or checks your computer to see how well it will run games.
Check to see what parts on your computers are good enough to keep. If you're set on keeping them, you'll have to make sure it's compatible with the mother board, etc. you get.

And in case you haven't done much computer shopping: www.newegg.com

Hit me up if you want more details or help. I've built/upgraded my computer so I have some experience. Not claiming I'm an expert though.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

I am a computer geek, lemme ask you this (granted more a software then hardware person, but know enough to essay on the topic), to start with, what's your budget for it looking like? You ok with a static build that can do that or do you prefer one that can be upgraded in the future without making the parts obsolete?

Also do you already have a desktop? A lot of PC parts are modular enough to be reused, if you do gimme the information and I can tell you the parts that you can re-purpose.

For reference I built a PC that can do what you want for 288$, though I had christmas sales.

Check this link out: http://www.systemrequirementslab.com/cyri
It gives you the requirements and/or checks your computer to see how well it will run games.
Check to see what parts on your computers are good enough to keep. If you're set on keeping them, you'll have to make sure it's compatible with the mother board, etc. you get.

And in case you haven't done much computer shopping: www.newegg.com

Hit me up if you want more details or help. I've built/upgraded my computer so I have some experience. Not claiming I'm an expert though.
Newegg is a great source and probably the best part source overall but I suggest going here instead http://pcpartpicker.com/, it allows you to plan out your build and compares prices from various venders. http://www.reddit.com/r/buildapcsales is also awesome if you know basically what you want.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
If we're talking computer stuff, can anyone recommend me a wired mouse for about $20-30?

Ideally I want something like a razer deathadder, but I can't justify wasting stupid money on a mouse.

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
If we're talking computer stuff, can anyone recommend me a wired mouse for about $20-30?

Ideally I want something like a razer deathadder, but I can't justify wasting stupid money on a mouse.
I got a Roccat mouse for like 30 bucks over at my local tech store, been really enjoying the brand.
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Lua/
it weighs literally NOTHING and it's super precise. Have had 0 complaints about it thus far.

edit: it also pleasantly surprised me by compensating for my sweaty hands. Legit as **** for only 30 euros

Last edited:

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Okay, so Adum is an absolute wizard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GSRyker/saved/#savedbuild_1900089

This is what I'm looking at. Any criticism from computer nerds would be welcome. Note that I know for a fact that the parts will fit my case and that's why they're funny looking. Also note that I am not a fan of buying from Super Biiz, but it was sold out on newegg and I don't know any other retailers, so any advice on who to buy from (that has it in stock) would be appreciated.

Also, my birthday is in less than a week, so if any of you wanted to get me something, who would I be to turn down such generosity. *wink* *nudge* *wink* :woman:

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend

What you using it for?

http://dealgiraffe.com/deals/deal0018.html Especially if you have amazon prime is a damn good pickup.

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA2691JA6282?icid=WP_0_01122015 or this one if you're going for MMOs.

The latter of the two I really want, but I can't justify dropping 30 bucks for a mouse atm because just dropped 280 on building a pc and and 350 on a laptop within the past month, also school bills coming up.

Okay, so Adum is an absolute wizard.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/GSRyker/saved/#savedbuild_1900089

This is what I'm looking at. Any criticism from computer nerds would be welcome. Note that I know for a fact that the parts will fit my case and that's why they're funny looking. Also note that I am not a fan of buying from Super Biiz, but it was sold out on newegg and I don't know any other retailers, so any advice on who to buy from (that has it in stock) would be appreciated.

Also, my birthday is in less than a week, so if any of you wanted to get me something, who would I be to turn down such generosity. *wink* *nudge* *wink* :woman:
Also he has an older am3 slot cpu which will serve until he gets an upgrade.

Last edited:

Handorin

Smash Hero
How much RAM do you have already? Having enough RAM is a big key to getting to good FPS, especially if you plan on running/streaming concurrently.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
How much RAM do you have already? Having enough RAM is a big key to getting to good FPS, especially if you plan on running/streaming concurrently.
he doesn't know, all we know is that is he has at least 4 gigs of DDR3-1066 240 pin memory but it's possible the ram got upgraded. I'm not suggesting a ram upgrade til he knows exactly what he's got in the way of RAM but it's compatible with that motherboard and 4 gigs is enough for now. More can definitely be added later.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
he doesn't know, all we know is that is he has at least 4 gigs of DDR3-1066 240 pin memory but it's possible the ram got upgraded. I'm not suggesting a ram upgrade til he knows exactly what he's got in the way of RAM but it's compatible with that motherboard and 4 gigs is enough for now. More can definitely be added later.
Exactly this.

Handorin

Smash Hero
Splatoon hype though.

Side note: Isn't there a Dgames Skype? Someone should add me: uahandy at yahoo dot

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I got a Roccat mouse for like 30 bucks over at my local tech store, been really enjoying the brand.
http://www.roccat.org/Products/Gaming-Mice/ROCCAT-Lua/
it weighs literally NOTHING and it's super precise. Have had 0 complaints about it thus far.

edit: it also pleasantly surprised me by compensating for my sweaty hands. Legit as **** for only 30 euros
What you using it for?

http://dealgiraffe.com/deals/deal0018.html Especially if you have amazon prime is a damn good pickup.

http://flash.newegg.com/Product/9SIA2691JA6282?icid=WP_0_01122015 or this one if you're going for MMOs.

The latter of the two I really want, but I can't justify dropping 30 bucks for a mouse atm because just dropped 280 on building a pc and and 350 on a laptop within the past month, also school bills coming up.
thanks for the suggestions, looks good. I'm not MMORPGing so i'll dodge that 22 button behemoth, but thanks.

BSL

B-B-B-BLAMM!!!
NNID
bsl883
3DS FC
3308-4560-2744
happy skype birfday BSL
it's also my actual birthday, so thanks!
Splatoon hype though.

Side note: Isn't there a Dgames Skype? Someone should add me: uahandy at yahoo dot
[4/23/2014 1:52:28 AM] Radford: this is BSL
[4/23/2014 1:52:31 AM] Radford: Hi [Handorin], I'd like to add you as a contact.

never accepted wow

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you

I'm out of date on most of it. I bought a Dell XPS series PC several years ago and it has served me as well as the one I built prior.

The only mandatory thing is at least 8 gigs of RAM and a good video card.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
Happy b-day BSL!

I'm out of date on most of it. I bought a Dell XPS series PC several years ago and it has served me as well as the one I built prior.

The only mandatory thing is at least 8 gigs of RAM and a good video card.
No worries, I fixed him with a good build for dirt cheap, you're not the only guru around here haha

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
i got 3 limited New 3DS XL majora's mask editions being shipped to my place in feb

so who's down to purchase one off me for $400? :troll:

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Last edited:
Top Bottom