• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
also don't take that as hostility because I'm honestly just being cheeky hahah, but damn, I'm straight up getting nostalgic about philosophy I and intro to ethics rn

Actually using Hobbes's views to examine religion is a really interesting prospect

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
also don't take that as hostility because I'm honestly just being cheeky hahah, but damn, I'm straight up getting nostalgic about philosophy I and intro to ethics rn Actually using Hobbes's views to examine religion is a really interesting prospect
High School Philosophy. Not using references to flaunt higher level ethics knowledge. I actually took a 180 from it to pursue a study in biochemistry / biotechnology because I felt that I could do more with an education in that field to benefit humanity after being exposed to how politics and social science operates in modern society. I simply am either integrating with my own view or what I recall from the past. I don't care if my knowledge is shallow if you want to add on to it then it's appreciated. I care more about inaccuracies within any existing objective views and remaining true to the fundamentals of the thought without twisting the representation of it to simply fit my own world view.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
man you went to a pretty hip high school then because it's like you were going through my philosophy 1 curriculum unit block by unit block

sincerely impressed with your school. then again I went to an offensively terrible high school so who knows maybe that's standard

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
man you went to a pretty hip high school then because it's like you were going through my philosophy 1 curriculum unit block by unit block sincerely impressed with your school. then again I went to an offensively terrible high school so who knows maybe that's standard
I took a middle school aptitude test (Sounds ridiculous? It is ridiculous) and was accepted in a specialized program oriented towards the social sciences. The public school system in general where I grew up was pretty good. Good enough to fund an optional middle school aptitude test system and high school specialization program towards specific fields: social sciences, computer science, medical science, business, and engineering. Each public school within the county hosted one program and accepted the equivalent to one class of students: 30-60 students.

Ironically I went to a more down to earth blue collar town in order to take the program than if I just went into general studies at the town right by me. However, meeting with people who weren't snobs or exclusive like the people in my home town helped me a lot socially because I connected way more with the people from that school than I did with my own classmates from my own town or my own classmates within the specialized program.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
Honestly, being able to specialize in secondary at all sounds great. I went to an awful school that had almost nothing to offer that I was interested in. Literally the one and only thing that was truly nurtured there was my writing interest/talent, and that had more to do with the specific teacher than ANYTHING related to the school being good.

Meanwhile if I'd done my research and was willing to take a bus I could've gone to a school with a shops class, mechanics, a football team and more : |

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Honestly, being able to specialize in secondary at all sounds great. I went to an awful school that had almost nothing to offer that I was interested in. Literally the one and only thing that was truly nurtured there was my writing interest/talent, and that had more to do with the specific teacher than ANYTHING related to the school being good. Meanwhile if I'd done my research and was willing to take a bus I could've gone to a school with a shops class, mechanics, a football team and more : |
People don't realize how much affluence makes a difference in not only education, but shaping people for better or for worse. I am sure I would have pursued social science, regretted it, and even may have dropped out of college to pursue a job because I couldn't see the value in what I'm doing. Despite having these advantages, I still wound up working working from the ground up in a retail setting with a degree in biochemistry after going to several interviews and getting rejected at several private companies and public research facilities. For a period of time my lack of success put me at conflict with my parents who had unrealistic expectations of me and frankly we parted ways with each other where I was working around 75-80 hours a week with a part time and a full time job in order to meet rent and honestly just working to the bone.

Somehow I managed to make up with my parents, moved back home with them and was able to save enough money to where I could begin applying to medical school and taking the MCAT examination seriously. I am currently in a pre-admission type of process where I am taking courses within a program and if everything goes well I will start the actual medical curriculum in three months. I have been doing above average and will likely get in. To bring this back to the financial issue, it is no joke how much of four years of working in the real world can be burned when you are buying school supplies, gas, and supermarket goods even when you're a relatively light eater who just drinks tap water most of the time. Education and housing are both financial costs which need to be addressed by our government to reflect how Canadians subsidize their system. I don't know. It's not hard to understand why so many people seem to be falling apart and losing a sense of self-agency when the world itself is crumbling and having difficulty keeping itself together.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
so basically youre calling all canadians ****ing ******* and using big words to cover it up. good job *** hole.
The Canadian government defrays a lot of the cost for schools. The fact that the cost of our public schools are at least fifty times more expensive than their subsidized schools despite still being subsidized by tax payer dollars shows that our government does not really prioritize student needs. The stafford loan system and fafsa oriented loans only buy time for students to not collect interest for the four years they are students. However, these systems do very little to encourage academic success within the systems and in fact encourage students to seek jobs before fourth year ends so they can start paying off debt before interest begins to accumulate on the loans. The fact that student loans are non-dischargeable shows the underlying consciousness that the cost of education has become an issue that the government refuses to directly address. The debt issue in general needs a solution from policy makers.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
Maybe in truth the American Dream all along was for all of us to become venture capitalists, create fake businesses to garner capital, gather inorganic funds we can pocket, and then declare bankruptcy and repeat the process all over again.

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
damnit, i missed the philosophy talk. That to be fair doubt my expertise is at all relevant since my formal study goes from Plato to Aquinas.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm just curious, does anyone else here think about Gaia theory every so often? Some parts are a stretch, but deep in the back of my mind, I always wonder if we're all here as a means of serving indirectly as a defense mechanism for the planet. Granted, plastic in the ocean is debatably not helping the planet, but developing the necessary technology to destroy meteorites and other various things arguably is beneficial. Obviously we need the planet to stay alive if we want to live, so we're forced to inadvertently assist it.

On the flip side, it's possible that we evolved from bacteria that was part of a meteorite that crash landed on Earth billions of years ago. That being said, even though we evolved on Earth, we don't necessarily have to live here if we set up artificial conditions elsewhere (ex: people living in the international space station). Of course, there is no planet in our immediate vicinity that could possibly cater to us as well as Earth, as we've slowly evolved here for billions of years as a means to be better suited towards the immediate environment.

It just kinda scares me a bit that, in the end, that might be all we really are; just organisms assisting in the Earth's survival, semblant to antibodies protecting the body from diseases, except we protect the planet from meteorites and other crazy **** in the long run.

Last edited:

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I'm more interested in how Gaia theory would answer the obvious point that in a couple million years the sun is gonna get all big and eat the damn planet. Meaning mankind will have to either die WITH earth or do somethin extremely radical ala interstellar .

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
I'm more interested in how Gaia theory would answer the obvious point that in a couple million years the sun is gonna get all big and eat the damn planet. Meaning mankind will have to either die WITH earth or do somethin extremely radical ala interstellar .

#HBC | Gorf

toastin walrus since 4/20 maaaan

#HBC | Gorf

BarDulL

Town Vampire
Right, among the various assortments of problems we may end up having to deal with eventually (black holes, large meteors, etc.)

I'm not sure those are the only options though, we'd have to wait and see what technological advancements arise in the next million years (lol). I suspect that we'd have more than enough time to turn the planet into a mobile station before being absorbed by the sun, or we'd figure out a way to stop the growth of the sun, etc. The reason why we'd go to such lengths to keep the planet alive is because it's obviously an incredibly valuable resource, outside of the fact that we all want to live.

Or we'd just dip out, but I wonder if it's really feasible for us to just move off the planet and go elsewhere.

Edit: we have 7.6 billion years before the Sun is close enough to Earth's orbit to engulf the planet, apparently.

Last edited:

#HBC | Red Ryu

Red Fox Warrior
NNID
RedRyu_Smash
3DS FC
0344-9312-3352
Technically this won't happen for another 1.75 billion years. That is a long long time.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I would assume you're here because you enjoy both smash and mafia. If you think you're here to defend the planet though, don't let me stop you.

edit: saw this and thought of you:
I don't think you actually understand Gaia theory. Probably shouldn't comment on things you know literally nothing about.

The point of Gaia theory isn't that we're intentionally trying to defend the planet, it's that we do so inadvertently, predominantly as a result of our survival instincts (or perhaps some subconscious directive that we know nothing about). It would certainly explain our evolutionary purpose and explain why we exist on this planet. It's just a theory, not something I'm spouting out as an absolute truth.

Just how exactly you construed that I'm some kind of 'defender of the planet' weeb is amusing, but pretty off base.

Last edited:

#HBC | ZoZo

Shocodoro Blagshidect
Kary you're just being a butt. Nobody likes butts, except when they're on girls. But that's not you. You're just being a floating, poopy, butt.

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
I don't think you actually understand Gaia theory. Probably shouldn't comment on things you know literally nothing about.

The point of Gaia theory isn't that we're intentionally trying to defend the planet, it's that we do so inadvertently, predominantly as a result of our survival instincts (or perhaps some subconscious directive that we know nothing about). It would certainly explain our evolutionary purpose and explain why we exist on this planet. It's just a theory, not something I'm spouting out as an absolute truth.

Just how exactly you construed that I'm some kind of 'defender of the planet' weeb is amusing, but pretty off base.
I'm not well versed in crystal chakra healing either, maybe that's all true.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't goad you just because you have opinions that I find eccentric. I think you're on a highway to nothing with this one though.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
I never expected a delusional person to describe someone else as being eccentric.

Last edited:

BarDulL

Town Vampire
I'm not well versed in crystal chakra healing either, maybe that's all true.

I'm sorry, I shouldn't goad you just because you have opinions that I find eccentric. I think you're on a highway to nothing with this one though.
Am I getting trolled super hard, or are you just not reading what I'm saying?

Gaia theory is scientific in its approach and is in a completely different realm from 'chakra healing crystals.' And, again, it's just a theory. And I'm not saying it's scientific in the way that someone would vouch for healing crystals, I'm saying that as a scientific thinker that appreciates work like Darwin's.

Like, for example, cockroaches help break down just about anything by eating things to survive, like rotten food which is considered inedible to us humans. The nutrients provided through the feces of the cockroach then supplements the earth's soil, like fertilizer, and enriches the plants in the immediate vicinity. In that sense, the cockroach has inadvertently catered to continued sustainment of life on this planet simply by helping itself to a buffet of considerable disgust. Doesn't it strike you as odd that it has contributed to the continued sustainment of life on this planet inadvertently by trying to survive? That's literally the core of gaia theory.

Funnily enough, I know someone who wears those crystals to smash tournaments because he feels they give him strength. I find it to be something semblant to those who would place faith in something most could never be completely certain about in this age. Which makes me wonder why you didn't try to goad marshy, but whatever, I'm certainly not asking you to.

I'm not sure how you derived that I'm eccentric for entertaining the possibility of gaia theory being legitimate (most critical thinkers would at least do this much). Your ignorance is crystal-shattering at the moment. :p

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Like, for example, cockroaches help break down just about anything by eating things to survive, like rotten food which is considered inedible to us humans. The nutrients provided through the feces of the cockroach then supplements the earth's soil, like fertilizer, and enriches the plants in the immediate vicinity. In that sense, the cockroach has inadvertently catered to continued sustainment of life on this planet simply by helping itself to a buffet of considerable disgust. Doesn't it strike you as odd that it has contributed to the continued sustainment of life on this planet inadvertently by trying to survive? That's literally the core of gaia theory.
No, it doesn't strike me as odd. I don't see why it would be odd. Isn't this just a dressed-up teleological argument?

I don't have a problem with what people want to believe. If someone thinks wearing crystals gives them strength, all power to them. They should still go and see a ****ing doctor if they get sick.

BarDulL

Town Vampire
It's odd, or peculiar, because of the convenience to its surroundings, and the next step in the scientific process is to ask 'why does it have this trait?'. Most people consider cockroaches to be pretty useless and bothersome, but they actually serve an ecological purpose, and gaia theory attempts to explain things like this in the big picture.

Another example is that birds **** out seeds they eat everywhere, causing trees to grow and spread across the globe and, again, inadvertently assist continued sustaining of life on this planet. This trend of 'sustaining life on the planet' can be seen from a multitude of organisms if shown in the right light. Bees pollinate plants, bacteria breaks down even the most radioactive of materials, and so on. It's almost as if the culmination of life on this planet assists in the continued sustainment of life on this planet simply because each one of these organisms is trying to survive.

Of course, there are unanswered points of contention, like the lack of explanation for random changes in temperatures in certain climates as said changes can drastically affect life negatively. There's also the whole 'animals eat animals' dealio, but I suspect the food chain, and natural selection, help assist the planet by way of constantly refining what we deem to be 'the fittest organism.' I won't pretend like I have all the answers.

Anyway, again, it's a theory.

Also, I'm calling bull**** on you not having a problem with what people believe in, you literally just tried to goad me for three or four posts in a row about what you perceived to be my beliefs. If that's not ****lord levels of butt, I don't know what is.

Last edited:

#HBC | Kary

Fiend of Fire
Seriously? I had a laugh at this, and you tried to engage me. I'm not interested in debating the merits of this theory because it seems trivially wrong to me- and you are hardly the sort of person I expect to change their mind.

#HBC | Gorf

i mean i think kary was being ignorant and douchey but

are you implying that you actually ****ing believe in gaia hypothesis? i thought you were just discussing it as a hypothetical and something that can be.

Top Bottom