• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Social DGames Social | V/LA |

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
1. That was just my off the cuff idea and one of many haha. Honestly they could have done it the same way plotwise but just not had him so impossible not to like. He's been brainwashed for like a decade and a half, no matter how naturally good a person he is that's gonna take some effect, and not having him do literally anything bad whatsoever (if murder's too much why not other stuff like firebombing some houses and ****? War's horror isn't all dead bodies) to redeem himself for is at least a lost opportunity for some depth if nothing else. Now he feels like a straight up extraneous character because he already redeemed himself and is a hero, he has nothing more to accomplish. He might as well have died to give the movie (and Darth Ren) some teeth. I dunno, if you like a character but can think of ten missed opportunities for every detail you like are they that good of a character or are you making excuses? I also disagree that having any element of darkness or depth is going instatryhard. The not-new trilogy was riddled with political intrigue and power plays but it didn't suck because of the presence of that stuff it sucked because it was badly written and had no easily discernible stakes. The Star Wars saga is an adventure story anybody can appreciate of any age but that doesn't mean it doesn't have all kinds of dark as **** **** happening, no reason not to start off the new new trilogy with an example of it right?

2. That's actually an interesting point and I'll watch for it in Harrison Ford's performance next time I see it. It might change my mind. I still think it's out of character levels of moron for Han Solo though, maybe even moreso if saving Ben had nothing much to do with it. He was walking off to his death in 98% of situations, and Han Solo is a smart enough character to know that. If he knew it and was embracing it for Leia's sake, because despite being a misfit f***up he loves her to hell, that would be powerful and a character arc I'd invest in. But again it didn't feel that way to me. I guess the fact that his death was so very obvious and preordained meant I needed to feel more emotion from han and in the scene itself if that makes sense?

3. Yeah naw I know all that. The Skywalker family just has some special **** to it. But hell why couldn't Luke pull spirit guardian on Rey the way OWK did for him instead of her literally teaching herself to use the Force better than a Sith lord? Like as things stand right now Luke is probably gonna mentor her but she's shown such adeptness at using the Force that she might as well Force her way back in time and go ****ing train Yoda and can probably stop the clone wars from happening. While naturally strong with the Force Luke still had to train and earn his way to competence one skill at a time, Rey just picks up everything on the first try and probably does it better than the person that invented it.

4. Haha, that's actually a really interesting and valid point. All of it -- I actually forgot just HOW strong chewie's crossbow bolts are. Still, while Darth Ren will never be what he wants to be (or isn't yet and has a long way to go, one of the two), he's still... a sith lord. Getting outForced by somebody that doesn't even know what the damn Force is really shouldn't happen and I still definitely didn't feel like he had Rey or Fin on the ropes the way he should have just from sheer training. You made a strong point actually that an emotionally unstable tantrum thrower is quite scary, but I guess I'm just so unimpressed by his wimpiness that I don't feel the compulsion because I've had to personally stop more adult male roid rage alcohol fueled tantrums than I can count. Wouldn't that emotional instability be more fearsome if he was less of a loser and a more credible threat? I like your observation that going after Rey and Fin was a strategically bad move though, that's a super valid point and it's interesting because it's not a mistake his idol would have made. I just felt like too much was dictated by the producers not wanting bad things to happen to the good guys and not wanting the bad guys to accomplish things; they never seem to care about kylo ren devastating redshirts or trillions of people dying so long as we only see a few people look up from a balcony rather than really feel the impact of a solar system's worth of mass murder. But when he's fighting a character we want people to like, well, he just HAS to lose.

see this is a funny thing, I can't think of a sith lord of darth ren's level of [oft in]competence. The most inexperienced one we ever see was Darth Maul and he fought two jedis at once, one already and one soon to be legendary. The barrier of entry for skill and power for a sith lord is obviously high as **** and even moreso the training levels they exude afterward. When I was a little kid watching A New Hope I wanted to watch Luke pick up Obi Wan Kenobi's lightsaber after he dies and take on Vader for sheer exhilaration and good guy good feel factor, but the fact that I know his ass would have gotten killed in less than a second is exactly why ANH is still a good movie to watch as an adult, even if I could still watch it comfortably with a 12 year old beside me.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
My issue is that I don't CARE about any of the characters. They didn't stop to develop them. We've got a Mary Sue, no real villian as they spent the whole movie highlighting what makes Kylo Ren conflicted and weak, an ex-stormtrooper who drops everything to overcome his fears and save his new friends that he's had only a few minutes screentime interaction, and we have Poe who is a thing I guess?

They tried to pack too much in and didn't take enough time to actually let us get to see the characters develop.

I think a more character driven director like Christopher Nolan would've benefitted this movie far more than JJ Abrahms.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
Also, I feel it's a missed opportunity to give Fin a purpose that Rey took back the lightsaber. I wanted to see some duo lightsaber and Force user vs Sith combat. However, that probably doesn't even fit with Star Wars canon given that lightsaber are weird iirc.

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
holy **** if fin used the saber and rey used the Force in that final fight at the same time it would singlehandedly solve 80% of my issues with the climax

ryker why are you better at writing star wars in 30 seconds than they were

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
it would even be more original! Lack of originality and cut-pasting being one of the few things people criticize TFA for!

Maven89

Smash Master
holy **** if fin used the saber and rey used the Force in that final fight at the same time it would singlehandedly solve 80% of my issues with the climax
That would have been awesome, damn.

On a semi-nerdy note, Kylo Ren/Snoke aren't Sith. The Sith order was destroyed with Vader/Palpatine's death, these guys are just evil force users. Snoke even drops some line about Kylo being "Masters of the Knights of Ren", whatever they are.

I'll admit I'm not entirely sure what the difference between "evil force users" and "Sith" are, but I'm assuming there are some.

Last edited:

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
oh yeah my bad. I'm not actually a huge star wars guy which is probably why I have so little issue being critical of them so I can ass up the lore a lot. Sith is probably just a specific clan of Force users that do bad stuff, as opposed to this one which is different. Although given that they have a boner for the Empire and everything about it I maintain that they'd have some high barriers for anyone that wants to be a not-Sith

Maven89

Smash Master
Sith Order have some whole culture/code associated with it, all about gaining power through passion and emotions in order to use the force to "set yourself free". My thing is I'm not really sure how different that is from just the dark side of the force.

My knowledge of Star Wars is really just the movies + the knight of the old republic video games/browsing Wookiepedia, and now that I'm thinking about it the whole video game thing are now not-canon at all, so maybe all of this was thrown out.

#HBC | Ryker

Netplay Monstrosity
BRoomer
All I know of Sith is that there thing is that there is X amount of power in the Force split into light and dark. The Sith follow the rule of 2. Meaning there can only ever be 2 Sith: Master and Apprentice. Since there is only X power, splitting it 2 ways is far more effective than 300 of some ****, so Anakin goes in and ****s people's ****. The reason there's 2 is so that the Apprentice may grow stronger and hopefully one day kill his Master and take his own Apprentice, thus creating the most powerful Sith lord possible.

I probably ****ed that up because I am also not a GIANT Star Wars nerd. I'm just a movie buff.

Last edited:

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Also, I feel it's a missed opportunity to give Fin a purpose that Rey took back the lightsaber. I wanted to see some duo lightsaber and Force user vs Sith combat. However, that probably doesn't even fit with Star Wars canon given that lightsaber are weird iirc.
Define weird

Evil Eye

Selling the Lie
BRoomer
on the subject of star wars

Kyle Katarn is the best Jedi from something that's not the movies right? Probably. He's awesome anyway we're in agreement right?

I want him to be one of Luke's apprentices that he disbanded and I want him to be played by [bearded] Chris Evans

Last edited:

Orboknown

Smash Hero
Katarn is cool, was even a rogue squadron ace for awhile iirc

Best jedi that wasnt in the movies though? Revan. Even though he was the lord of the sith for awhile he massacred the mandalorians and basicallt took the mandalores title as his own by jacking the helmet

Maven89

Smash Master
Dark Forces II and Jedi Outcast were awesome. Jedi Outcast's multiplayer lightsaber fights are some of the most fun I've had in video games, even though I was too young to be very good at it.

KOTOR is great. Probably a little dated now, but the story was some of the best I've seen, and there's no way someone cannot enjoy HK-47's banter. " 'Love' is making a shot to the knees of a target 12 miles away using a sniper rifle with a tri-light scope"

adumbrodeus

Smash Legend
The jedi that I really miss that wasn't in the movies is Mara Jade.

Timothy Zahn was simply an amazing author, a shame everything he did is now in limbo in-universe.

Loved Katarn too though, the entire dark forces/jedi knight series was amazing, albiet with very confusing numbering.

Last edited:

CT Chia

Smash Obsessed
Can someone explain to me how games work these days? Is there still a hosting queue, or can anyone host when desired and join when a game/thread is in join phase? What about signing up as a replacement? Can I just post in an ongoing game that I'd like to be a replacement?

ranmaru

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-0654 7794 0698
You can host whenever, just post sign ups and people will sign up. It's a free market. I think you can post but you can pm the mod about replacing to be safe.

Good seeing you.

Cheerilee

Smash Ace

Released on Valentine's Day weekend. Wish it was Christmas, but makes more sense plot-wise for it to parody the festivities.

Evil Eye Evil Eye
Re: Star Wars
Because you nailed most of the key points I wanted to make, I'm going to go a bit edgier than originally planned. Movie felt like a cash grab with Disney holding the reigns. How so?

The script just didn't rehash older elements from the series, but directly planted them into The Force Awakens. Several themes like the force prodigy, the chase scenes on the Death Star with the storm troopers pursuing them, the over-exposure of key characters like Han Solo and Chewbaca whose presence in the plot could have easily been replaced by an original Resistance character to fulfill their part in the story, and scenes like Han Solo entering the bar forcing the abrupt stop in activities because of his notoriety in the galaxy.

Han Solo's death was flagged numerous times. Rey can pilot the Millenium Falcon just like he can. He finally "patches things up" with Princess Leia although them meeting up again and forcing us to watch 2-5 minutes of screen time between them getting sentimental is lost because in our minds we just learned they were separated. So now he can die because he made up with Leia his duties are fulfilled by an original character and it creates a question if there was really a need to put Han Solo into the movie. There was no need, we know he was put in there for the cash grab and for the people who want to be fed the nostalgia of the Han Solo-Chewbaca dynamic.

Implausibilities are favored above plot consistency. I'm sure all of us accepted the Millenium Falcon could be at the junk heap through a stroke of luck. I'm sure most of us were okay with Rey being an awesome pilot, especially when it was revealed that she is a force prodigy and we've seen correlation to this with Anakin's ability to pod race like a boss in the newer movies.

Then the movie stretches you a bit further forcing you to accept that Finn can wield a light saber pretty convincingly despite it being an elegant weapon. The movie stretches your suspension of belief again when we discover that it isn't the First Order that's captured them but it's Han and Chewie! Again when we discover that they've been ambushed but they have these space slugs that are again a Deus Ex Machina. Why does Maz have Luke's lightsaber? How is Rey able to use multiple elements of the Force so quickly in such a short time span despite receiving no training?

This is not good writing. The material that Disney-Lucas published this on was for young adults ages 6-8 according to Wookiepedia. Not the best source material to engage an older audience for a consistent plot movie, however it's just the target demographic that Disney wants to hit. Gonna finalize this, but George Lucas wrote a script for movie VII in order to supposedly raise the capital of Lucas Films before it got sold to Disney much like Machiavelli writing the Prince. And his script was rejected and we got this PG-13 crap that any logical minded individual can break apart even if they are not interested in deconstructing the entire movie.

This is what Disney is doing. Disney is using adults who remember the old films and draws them in by rehashing characters like Han Solo and Chewbaca, but these adults are not their core demographic. The baby boomer generation do not care about media analysis of popular shows/culture like our generation of Snake People. Hell, they fall asleep in the movie theater half the goddamn time. Their targeting the kids. Except they don't want to make the same mistake that Lucas Films made by only centering on male-centric Jedi powerful characters in the narrative and plot. They want females to be invested in this, they want girls to buy their toys. It's a harder market so they want to tap into more demographic and be able to acquire more customers to buy their crappy toys. That's why Rey is a walking female robot of positive characteristics and she's the chosen one and there is nothing she cannot do despite the evil eighty foot hologram of the First Order man who will likely be less than eight feet tall when it comes to the battle between them and we discover he's really just a man from Kansas (Wizard of Oz reference).

**** Disney. **** Rotten Tomatoes. **** gen. pop. Then again gen, pop. loves these ****ing cash grabs and we all know about the last thing I called a cash grab. That's why you dislike this movie. Because it's really ****.

Last edited:

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
Even having cool lightsaber and force combos would have been cool. They've proven that they work in Force Unleased, so why not in the actual movies?

It starts to get really good around 3:02. If you want the ending of the Emperor battle, here it is.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
Are you expectin' all of the answers to every facet of the movie from one third of the trilogy Cheerilee Cheerilee ? It's not suspension of disbelief. It's acceptance that things may not be answered quite yet. No saga-based movies stands nearly as well alone as it does the sum of its parts. That's why New Hope is the best stand alone movie: 'cuz it wasn't made with the intention of makin' a trilogy out of it.

I'm hopin' I did the spoiler thing right.

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I mean
Id say empire strikes back is easily the best of the original trilogy.
I dunno... I think that Return of the Jedi is the best. In Empire Strikes Back, they spend WAY too much time on Hoth doing absolutely nothing.

Orboknown

Smash Hero
I dunno... I think that Return of the Jedi is the best. In Empire Strikes Back, they spend WAY too much time on Hoth doing absolutely nothing.
Ehhh. Id disagree. The hoth battle itself was better than the ground battle of endor. Also, qualify yoda moments and not trying to wrap anything up means empire was a lot more focused on its own events moreso than concluding former movies

Spak

Hero of Neverwinter
I don't think I would put 7 above 6. Putting it above 5 is iffy and it probably belongs above 4, but I completely agree with the placement of the prequels.

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
To me, Yoda is what makes 5 so superb
and I personally don't think Luke would live up to the parallel (but I guess we'll see)
and none of them three are bad movies to me in the slightest. I think an argument can be made for 3 being aight, but the other two are... pretty terrible.

edit Cheerilee Cheerilee

Hell' I'd argue Star Wars wouldn't be Star Wars if EVERYTHING had a rhyme and reason. The unknown is part of what makes it so special. See: midichlorians.

Last edited:

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
The Man From Delamar The Man From Delamar

Are you bringing up that point to argue with me, because half of those points will never be addressed in the future. In addition the crux of the point was that the reason why there are so many holes to begin with was because the integrity of the movie took a back seat to merchandising opportunities and although you can shoddily resolve those holes, none of those holes previously mentioned would be filled organically.

Last edited:

The Man From Delamar

Smash Journeyman
In a sense, yea. I think mentioning that one third of a trilogy has plot holes is like reading 10 chapters in a 30 chapter book and wondering why a bunch of things weren't resolved. I would have gone into specifics as to why I think most (cuz I agree on a couple of faults) of what you consider mishaps the movie made are not but quite frankly I don't have the time to sit on it and I've only seen the movie once and know you can't catch everything the first time through.

Like in mafia :)

Cheerilee

Smash Ace
The Man From Delamar The Man From Delamar

I think it's great you don't really care about the movie. I also think it's great that you can dedicate multiple sentences into expanding that sentiment after initially hosting up faux interest in the conversation topic.

Top Bottom