• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

DFW Brawl Thread: Batou Monthly, Feb 18th - Revolution 10, Mar 3rd

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Dang Beah you better get your GPS back before Dphat pulls a Corneria IRL lol.

UTDZac

▲▲▲▲▲
BRoomer
That is why I'm in the computer lab... on smashboards. I probably should be working on my project instead.

@Beah: You can't use my voice without my permission. *snickering laugh*

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Lol, I'm here instead of doing a project too! Hooray for smashboards!

Santi can't resist talking about me because he wants my ***** X.

Santi

Smash Lord
3 toon links walk into a bar
one toon link is a mexican (Santi)
one toon link is black (Jerm)
and one toon Link is Arab (Hyrulian)

Santi looks to the other toon links and gets a straw wrapper and puts it above his top lip

"hey hey guys guys look. Who am I??"
The other 2 toon links look confused

Santi ,*facepalm*
" Pshhhh Phantomx"

*_Echo_*

Smash Journeyman
Keke.

They are when the school system blocks all of them as well, and generally keeps an up-to-date track on all search engines for finding proxy's.
then how do u guys do it!? i need entertainment at school share ur secret, please :)

Ladybug

Smash Lord
This is why the smart phone with internets was made. :D

We always just stole the teachers login. OXD

@Infinity - I have jokes to tell you!!!!

Jingo_Joe

Smash Apprentice
For anyone who cares...

I'm pretty much done with Donkey Kong. Going to these tournaments with you guys has shown me how hard he is to play competitively, especially in a game like Brawl. I thought that maybe, with enough practice, I could push through things like the DeDeDe infinite and overcome his other bad match-ups. These ideas sound nice in theory, but in reality they don't work out at all.

DK vs D3 is the most one-sided match-up in the game, by far. While ICs can infinite any character, and D3 has infinites on four others, D3's grab range is much longer than ICs and the infinite is easiest on Donkey Kong. In addition, because DK lacks a projectile, he must actually close in on DeDeDe to actually do damage, making it easier for him to land the infinite in the first place. Not getting grabbed is still possible, but when your opponent is just as focused on getting a grab as you are focused on avoiding it, your opponent will eventually win out. I have to avoid getting grabbed for an entire match, while he only needs to get 3 grabs to win.

Then there's the problem of counterpicking. If I win the first match against my opponent, I am forced to choose my character for the second match before him. If I stay with DK, he can safely CP D3 and infinite me for the win. That means that, as a DK main, I would need to have a CP for the second match anyways in order to be 100% safe from the infinite. This fact alone makes it nearly impossible to truly main DK; you should never go through a set without switching characters once unless you know for a fact your opponent cannot play D3.

Also, the DK boards are dead. The only major activity that has occurred there within the past month is UTD_Zac's thread about Stage Spikes (which was the last straw and finally made me come to this decision). I've posted in the "Rate My DK" thread asking for tips and improvements, but only one person has replied in two weeks. Nobody else even cares. Ripple and Bigfoot, the two most notable regulars, never bothered to give any advice, and I'm not even sure if it would help. From my understanding, Bigfoot came to TX and got whooped anyways, so would getting his advice do any good? Do these players go to tournies with people as tough as Dallas Smashers? Bum, who is considered to be one of the best DKs, plays in an area where the infinite is banned, so he can't even relate to my predicament.

I don't even get to play you guys that often. Infinity recently complained and said it would be very hard for him to not Brawl anyone for 3 days, but I don't Brawl anyone for 2 weeks! I can't possibly get better under these conditions, and if there is a better way to avoid the infinite, I can't possibly master it without more practice. Because of this, I've decided to do what many others have done and pick up Meta Knight. Hopefully this will give me the edge I need to surpass my average placing at PBT (3rd was a fluke, Santi had never played me before and neither had Light). I expect to place low for the next few tournaments, but hopefully I'll be able to catch up sooner than I expect.

TLDR: DK just isn't working out, switching to MK. Any starter tips?

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Just keep MK for D3, ICs and gay counterpicks, that way you can still play as DK who you are good with under normal circumstances.

That's what BEAH! did.

DMG

Smash Legend
Slippi.gg
DMG#931
Jingo...

Wario gets grab release infinited by at least 4-5 characters I can name off the top of my head, also at least 40% if not 50% or more of the cast can force a jump release on Wario, which we all know is bad. Can Ganondorf and Bowser (both aren't very high on the tier list) grab release infinite your character? I didn't think so.

It is also possible to not get grabbed vs Dedede even as DK... You gotta play like I do and even beyond that though. Which, if you really wanna stick it out with DK, you will do that.

If you win the first match in a set, you are not forced to switch characters to win the set overall. Just take a loss from the second game, and then now you have your CP. Pick a stage like Brinstar and they will probably switch.

Don't complain about not being able to play people, I live out here in Waco. I HAVE TO TRAVEL if I want to play. I'm not talking about a mere 45 minute drive to say a PBT or to a smashfest near Dallas or Fort Worth, I'm talking about a usual 2+ hours just to even get a shot at playing period.

You can complain about the DK boards being dead, or even tell us that you better understand now that DK is not as viable as many other characters, but cmon don't whine about not being able to play people, and don't complain about infinites when other characters have a lot more to worry about.

PhantomX

WarioMan
BRoomer
Jingo...

Wario gets grab release infinited by at least 4-5 characters I can name off the top of my head, also at least 40% if not 50% or more of the cast can force a jump release on Wario, which we all know is bad. Can Ganondorf and Bowser (both aren't very high on the tier list) grab release infinite your character? I didn't think so.

It is also possible to not get grabbed vs Dedede even as DK... You gotta play like I do and even beyond that though. Which, if you really wanna stick it out with DK, you will do that.

If you win the first match in a set, you are not forced to switch characters to win the set overall. Just take a loss from the second game, and then now you have your CP. Pick a stage like Brinstar and they will probably switch.

Don't complain about not being able to play people, I live out here in Waco. I HAVE TO TRAVEL if I want to play. I'm not talking about a mere 45 minute drive to say a PBT or to a smashfest near Dallas or Fort Worth, I'm talking about a usual 2+ hours just to even get a shot at playing period.

You can complain about the DK boards being dead, or even tell us that you better understand now that DK is not as viable as many other characters, but cmon don't whine about not being able to play people, and don't complain about infinites when other characters have a lot more to worry about.
You're the last person that should be telling someone to stick to one character :p

Fogo

Smash Shinigami
Word, dmg you play way too many chars, you need more focus lol

Zac, give me a call or text if any details change about tomorrow, like location for instance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom