• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Detta's Art Thread - Drowning in Pixels

dettadeus

Smash Lord
repost from my tumblr

caecensis design made by gigapichu
both sprites are edits of characters from a game called “Shining Force Feather” since i suck at making custom bases
i kind of made the zephyra design but it’s basically a recolor + armor of the character whose sprites i edited (and i drew her after i finished the sprite)

how do i anat omy

so explanation yeah
a while ago i came up with an idea for a game that would help me review latin. it would be a turn-based rpg at its core, but to perform attacks and cast spells, you’d have to answer questions like “Translate this sentence”, or “What does ‘doceo’ translate to”, with the difficulty of the question corresponding to the strength of the attack/spell. the story would be based on the myth of proserpina (tl;dr pluto kidnapped proserpina, daughter of ceres, and ceres was so distraught that she caused all the plants in sicily to wither, and then jupiter ordered pluto to give proserpina back but since she had eaten food from the underworld she was forced to stay there for 3/4 months every year, and this period of time became winter) but a small legion decides to go take proserpina back themselves and it’s led by caecensis and zephyra (who bought her way into the military because this was roman times and you could buy your way into just about anything and i felt like having a heroine for story purposes) and there’s a big battle at the entrance to the underworld and caecensis is nearly killed and zephyra has to retreat with the rest of the legion and then caecensis wakes up and doesn’t remember anything (this is where the game starts), so pluto tells caecensis that he was pluto’s loyal servant and has to go forcefully convince ceres to let proserpina stay with him in the underworld for the whole year. pluto assigns some nymph to help caecensis along the way and teach him magic stuff (not sure what it’d actually be called yet and i don’t want to be boring and call it arcana or something like that). then he eventually gets somewhere and he runs into zephyra and her legion and there’s a big battle where zephyra reveals the whole story and then they both go and beat up pluto and save proserpina and then there’s never a winter again yaaayyyyy.

also
caecensis = caecus (adjective: blind) + ensis (noun: sword), since he has no actual idea that he’s being completely manipulated he’s basically a blind sword
zephyra = zephyrus (noun: the north wind) but turned feminine, just thought it was a cool name when i was randomly flipping through my latin dictionary for ideas

Mew2King

King of the Mews
Cinnaminson (southwest NJ 5 min drive from Philly)
I don't know if you guys know Vidjogamer (www.facebook.com/vidjo), but me and him, and an OC remixer, level designer, and multiple other people I have gathered together are making an indie game. I'll give you guys more info on it after you guys join, but basically the main character is a female swordsman, kind of like a mix between Zero and Grolla (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOVjG_zz0Y), and we need a skilled/dedicated artist. One artist for all the characters/enemies/animations/sprites, and one for the backgrounds/other-art. Would you guys be interested? If not, could you help me get people that could? Much appreciated!

Jesse coded it from scratch in C++ btw and it supports HD graphics, so the best quality possible is mainly what we are looking for, above all else. So that we can compete with games like Spelunky, Braid, Dustforce, etc.

Also my Pm box is almost full so maybe respond in this thread or on facebook. www.facebook.com/mew2king (and tell me who you are if you do that)

dettadeus

Smash Lord
if there's base sprites (for the character) that can be edited and i get credit then maybe

might want to work on making your posts seem less like reposts though :p

i can edit animations from just about any base but i can't actually make a base

Itta

Smash Rookie
I don't know if you guys know Vidjogamer (www.facebook.com/vidjo), but me and him, and an OC remixer, level designer, and multiple other people I have gathered together are making an indie game. I'll give you guys more info on it after you guys join, but basically the main character is a female swordsman, kind of like a mix between Zero and Grolla (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VkOVjG_zz0Y), and we need a skilled/dedicated artist. One artist for all the characters/enemies/animations/sprites, and one for the backgrounds/other-art. Would you guys be interested? If not, could you help me get people that could? Much appreciated!

Jesse coded it from scratch in C++ btw and it supports HD graphics, so the best quality possible is mainly what we are looking for, above all else. So that we can compete with games like Spelunky, Braid, Dustforce, etc.

Also my Pm box is almost full so maybe respond in this thread or on facebook. www.facebook.com/mew2king (and tell me who you are if you do that)
So,um, hey. I just thought I'd throw out my hat to help...
I hope I can work for you, but here's just a sample for you:

http://i538.photobucket.com/albums/ff342/Ittan-momen/BETAGIRL.png

edit: oh! edit guy, what a coincidence I'm kinda mediocre at animating,

dettadeus

Smash Lord

Got bored, Nichijou OP started playing, remembered there was this game with a sprite style that could be really easily edited into Nichijou sprites, proceeded to perform aforementioned editing.
As soon as I started working on it one of Mio's character songs started playing.
Yeaaahhhhhh

(Original Himawari sprite is from the DS game Coropata, credit to Dazz for ripping the sprites)
If you want to use it for something, ask me I guess?
EDIT:

Some more sprite edits.
Spent about a half hour browsing through tSR until I found some base sprites I liked, then just... edited, I guess.

One day I'll probably make animations out of these. And probably sooner than that I'll have bases for more characters (like Yurippe).

Game is called Cherry Tree High Comedy Club (for PC, I guess). Credit for rips goes to Dazz again.
edit again:

dettadeus

Smash Lord
Finished my Nichijou base sprites.

Next non-Crusade project is gonna be more of those Angel Beats! sprites, although don't expect more very soon.

Sapphire Dragon

Smash Master
NNID
SapphireRyu
3DS FC
3351-4374-1516
Switch FC
SW-2172-6976-4896
Awwwww, you're doing Baron instead of Kohaku... :( I can understand though, Kohaku is a seriously detailed character unless you do him in human form.

Either way, those sprites are amazing. Like, seriously, if I was making a game I would hire you on the spot. :D

dettadeus

Smash Lord
It's less the issues spriting him (he would fight mostly in human form) and more:
-Spirited Away would have 3 of its own reps (Yubaba, No Face, Kohaku), and for a roster of 12, giving one movie 3 reps is too much
-aside from being a dragon, his other thing would be using magic, something Yubaba, Ponyo and Kiki already do

dettadeus

Smash Lord
The Soot Sprites were originally from My Neighbor Totoro, but also showed up in Spirited Away, just like how Baron showed up first in Whisper of the Heart then in The Cat Returns.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
New Totoro base, as well as Totoroko and Totorochisai, who will show up in parts of Totoro's moveset.

Also new No Face artwork for the CSS.

dettadeus

Smash Lord
dump of things i made during smashboards crash
miyazaki mash bonus char #1: Oliver, from Ni no Kuni

one of three chars i want to add if i ever get more than just myself working on miyazaki mash

possible palettes for totoro

got bored and didn't want to do actual spriting so i tried doing this
i felt like it would make sense for totoro to change colors with the seasons if he changed colors at all
i'd only use one of the autumn ones, probably the reddish one

some whiteboard drawings from my dorm room door

totoro moveset concept art

Concept for a Totoro Stage: Totoro's Den. Each character will have a stage, and if they aren't being played they will appear in the background.

Random concept things. Baron's Taunt, stage ideas for each character, story mode pairings (and later, trios), some basic story mode starting points.

Biggest and smallest characters face off! Do your best, Soot Sprite!

Top Bottom