• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
I've seen that Diddy thing before. It might be the crappy GIF, or no context, but I'm not sure he's doing an air dodge there? Maybe some other move? (Why couldn't that be a second jump, for instance?)
He turns white, those are invicibility frames. It's a dodge.

Nonetheless, I've sent this GIF to my friend, and I'll see what he thinks about it. Maybe he'll do a more diligent survey of the topic when he goes back tomorrow to play with a classic controller!
The fact that you've changed your overall vocabulary since your first posts suggests that your trying to win everyone over with kindness and "smarts" instead of doing the regular troll thing where they try to defend themselves savagely. Also you ended off your last statement with an exclamation point to make it seem like he'd be really excited, but the whole sentence in itself was a possiblity of what "your friend" might have thought, so it makes me believe like your finally are doing the whole "look I'm not wrong he is" thing....which is nice.

All in all your doing a pretty good job. Kudos.

Bachelors in psychology. Getting masters in a year and a half.

Zink

Smash Champion
I like how whoever is playing Metaknight can't tech.
I also like how this thread is full of old Nsiders or something, seriously there's like 15 sept/oct 07 posters here, lol.

WiiPlaya77

Smash Cadet
Ok, thats lookin less like an airdodge, more like he's just jumping after tumbling, he was knocked away and is just jumping out of the tumble sequence, which is why it sparkles...could that be it?

Xanderous

Smash Lord
GameSpot's Media Summit 2007 Gameplay Demo at 01:32 Mario does airdodge up and to the right.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you've figured me out, Exorcist. Time to bow down. I can't believe you're bringing psychology into this. Do you think I'm here to get posts, or to be popular, or something? I'm here to relay a message from my friend. Here's a thought: I'm not doing the "regular troll thing" because.... I'm not trolling? That's on the final exam, you might want to circle it in your notes. (By the way, for your thesis, you might want to make sure you can differentiate between "you're" and "your". The spellchecker won't pick that up for you.)

You know, if E For All proves you can airdodge to the side, I'll be the first in line to say these impressions were wrong. I can see the relationship to an airdodge in that GIF (though, I definitely think it's far from conclusive). I will get him to try it again tomorrow and find out what that is.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you've figured me out, Exorcist. Time to bow down. I can't believe you're bringing psychology into this. Do you think I'm here to get posts, or to be popular, or something? I'm here to relay a message from my friend. Here's a thought: I'm not doing the "regular troll thing" because.... I'm not trolling? That's on the final exam, you might want to circle it in your notes. (By the way, for your thesis, you might want to make sure you can differentiate between "you're" and "your". The spellchecker won't pick that up for you.
Omg, stop making fun of me! You were so nice until now! You're mean! Continue and I'll like totalllllllllllly report you for being mean!

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Someone in the other thread posted that the jump thing Diddy is doing is probably his Side+B. Its like Captain Falcon's Up+B but without the jumping up part at the end. If an opponent was there, Diddy would likely have grabbed and attacked them. We know his Side+B is a grab attack of some kind from IGN's impressions.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Someone in the other thread posted that the jump thing Diddy is doing is probably his Side+B. Its like Captain Falcon's Up+B but without the jumping up part at the end. If an opponent was there, Diddy would likely have grabbed and attacked them. We know his Side+B is a grab attack of some kind from IGN's impressions.
He turns white. He's invincible while doing that dodge.

Yes, I'm aware some moves make you unflinchable, but I don't think moves will make you unvulnarable.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
Well, if you're right, I'm glad wavelanding is still in. I'm disappointed about wavedashing being out and confused as **** as to why they would take out the ability to influence in which direction you airdodge. They said they wanted to improve aerial combat but this is like taking a huge step back.

EDIT: As long as there's still a metagame in Brawl, I'll be happy. I don't want this to be some shallow fighter than any 8 year old can pick up and master in 10 minutes..

WiiPlaya77

Smash Cadet
whatever it is, after looking at all of the diddy vids, it seems like its a move in the air, not an airdodge, Mario did an airdodge, and it didnt have the sparkles, yellowness, or the dust cloud...seems pretty concrete to me...

EDIT: aw crap, it doesn't say Smash n00b anymore...I kinda liked it....

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Interesting find, Xanderous. It's conceivable Mario had to jump (to start moving up and forward) to airdodge in that direction.

Exorcist, I'm here to discuss Smash. Why are you making it personal? Just leave it to the Smash discussion.

Zauron, I agree. We know little about Diddy's moves in general. That flashing animation could be a number of things, including something about Diddy that we don't know yet. I understand that it looks similar to an airdodge, but there's definitely room for other opinions without any stretch.

Karleko

Smash Cadet
Off-topic...sorry...at 1:26
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCDzGqKnD_k

How is Link recovering from that distance (and angle)?

On-topic:
It could not have been a short hop by Meta Knight (or so I think, I could be wrong). Meta Knight apparently beaing a floaty character, I don't think he could jump that low, and it really does look like a tech.

Loooooni

Smash Ace
Stuck in the 4th dungeon of twilight princess
I have read through this entire thread and first I must say I can't believe how childish some people are *points at a few of the people who posted epic fail and Exorcist. On another note most of what I have seen seems to be pointing in the direction of Infil being right so for now I wil believe him.

Luck-NYC/NJ

Smash Lord
BergenField, Bergen County(North East Jersey)
honestly with the new postponement we cant make any rash judgements at all. They obivously pushed the release back more because they felt the game isnt ready yet. They might change a couple of things in these next few months to make sure if they want certain things in or not.

Also by classic controller i asume u mean Gamecube Controller. im not so sure it would be possible to wavedash on a wiimote simply because of the movement. It could also be that ur friend isnt good at wavedashing or that there are some advanced skills u just cant do on a wiimote.

My final concern is the possiblity of a missing advanced skill as prominent to competitive play, such as wavedashing. that would completely change the game and would ruin it in my opinion for all us new coming competitive players. I really hope there will be better news in the future.

Oh and last thing, stop flaming the guy. im sure hes not lying (most of the time its clear when some stupid little kid is telling a lie, clearly this is not one of those times). You all should be greatful hes telling you this information. Thanks alot infil very helpful, keep those updates coming.

Kirbykrew

Smash Journeyman
I love it how Infil is being calm about this while Exorsist is typing like a 10 year old.

However, just wait till thursday and we'll know more.

EDIT: Also, for whoever brought up the removing Wavedash in rereleases, they only fix minor things, like trophy descriptions and such, not a major code.

burrito

Smash Lord
Exorcist, I think you need to review your definition of a troll. Seriously, don't be an ***, and try to make this an intelligent discussion, please.

kaibyaku

Smash Apprentice
I love it how Infil is being calm about this while Exorsist is typing like a 10 year old.

However, just wait till thursday and we'll know more.
Haha, I was thinking the exact same thing.

I'm an experienced Smash player so I'm used to playing using advanced techs. If wavedashing was taken out I really don't see it as that much of a problem. If you want to wavedash so badly there will always be Melee. Just because Brawl's coming out doesn't mean Melee won't be playable anymore. I don't think it's reasonable to expect Brawl to have the same features as Melee, so people need to get over that. Don't get me wrong, if it turns out wavedashing IS in Brawl, I'd be thrilled. I almost hope it's not in Brawl so that we get a few hundred QQ threads and more petitions for Nintendo to put it back in (which will not work).

Even if it turns out there's some things that might be different in actuality, thanks for sharing your info.

VanillaMummy

Smash Journeyman
Wow, you've figured me out, Exorcist. Time to bow down. I can't believe you're bringing psychology into this. Do you think I'm here to get posts, or to be popular, or something? I'm here to relay a message from my friend. Here's a thought: I'm not doing the "regular troll thing" because.... I'm not trolling? That's on the final exam, you might want to circle it in your notes. (By the way, for your thesis, you might want to make sure you can differentiate between "you're" and "your". The spellchecker won't pick that up for you.)
Ha. You made me lawl.

Anyways, this guy has a lot of info to be just your average troll. Its not like he's saying "a friend of mine is a manager at GameStop and talked to the Nintendo rep and..." or the things most trolls usually say. He's come to us with info and facts to back it up.

And if you want this topic to die Exorcist, then stop posting in it. If you think he's a troll, then you are just feeding his desires by posting here.

WiiPlaya77

Smash Cadet
I think the thing is that, had he not airdodged, he would taken the same trajectory, so it's poosssible it just follows the momentum, i dunno, i haven't played it.....poo.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
He turns white. He's invincible while doing that dodge.

Yes, I'm aware some moves make you unflinchable, but I don't think moves will make you unvulnarable.
No he doesn't. He's not the same shade of color as mid-air dodging. Look again on an HD clip. Its actually a yellow color. Compare it to the Mario air-dodging clip. Its a different color he's blinking. Just like how when you are free-falling and can't move you blink a different color than being invincible, Diddy is blinking a different color than an air-dodge normally uses.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=yqm5WFgPw34
Okay, I have no idea whether Infil is lying or not, but watch that, and watch Mario ~1:30. He airdodged up and right. He was definitely not moving up and to the right.
Yes he was, look at an HD version of the original video and watch it frame-by-frame. Just before dodging up, Mario does his mid-air jump. When the dodge happens a few frames later, he moves in the exact same trajectory he was already moving from the jump. Also, notice that before the dodge animation ends, he's already started to fall from the height of his jump - so if nothing else, this shows a mid-air dodge can move in more than one direction in the same dodge, because Mario goes both up and down in the same dodge animation here.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
Exorcist, I think you need to review your definition of a troll. Seriously, don't be an ***, and try to make this an intelligent discussion, please.

You have to realize that I could just care less. I'm not going to try to win runner up in a popularity contest, I know I'm a complete as$. I'm done, if I haven't made my point yet then my point fails and there really wasn't anything to say I guess.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Thanks for your positive comments. I kind of thought hearing early impressions before E for All (from someone I can confirm knows the advanced techniques of Smash, not a random press member) would be a nice surprise for the boards. Glad to see some people are seeing it as such.

I also agree with kaibyaku about ThatHappyNigga's post. I believe that if you want to play a game largely similar to Melee, then you should play Melee. While it can make us a bit nervous to see them experimenting with techniques we hold near and dear to our heart... I think we should be prepared to start over from scratch! Won't it be fun to learn new ways to play at a tournament level? Brawl will be competitive even if a common technique is removed. We will find other ways to take the engine to its limits, and it should be an exciting time to look forward to how we'll do that!

EDIT: Doggalina, if that's the same video from the Nintendo press conference (Mario vs. Samus), note that Mario jumped right before doing the airdodge, which puts his momentum going up and towards the stage. This is also the direction the air dodge came out.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
Okay, I have no idea whether Infil is lying or not, but watch that, and watch Mario ~1:30. He airdodged up and right. He was definitely not moving up and to the right.
It's not an up-right airdodge. Do an up-right airdodge with Mario in Melee. He moves up and right much faster than he does in this video. This simply seems to be an in place airdodge that carries momentum from the jump + forward directional influence.

And if that's the way airdodges work in Brawl then yes it deconfirms wavedashing completely, as there's no way you can jump and immediately have a downward + left/right momentum.

Wavelanding would still be possible but only under special circumstances, and your direction will be predictable making it not that useful.

This is pretty lame.

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
I just thought of something...even if you can only airdodge in the direction you're moving, can't you still WD? You'd just have to jump, then make sure you hit down+left or down+right before you airdodged, and the game would still register it, wouldn't it?

Y34HDUD3!!!

Smash Lord
Ya you still could, but it wouldn't be as fast as in Melee.

And I've noticed that when Mario does his Uair into the ground the lag is smaller than in Melee.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I just thought of something...even if you can only airdodge in the direction you're moving, can't you still WD? You'd just have to jump, then make sure you hit down+left or down+right before you airdodged, and the game would still register it, wouldn't it?
From what the OP is trying to say, you can't control where you air dodge to. So that means you can't air dodge into the ground.

Jekyll

Smash Ace
If you look closely enough, you can see that there's animation as he starts moving up(which shows that he used his 2nd jump). That jump would've been up and to the right, so infil's "theory" stands.

...edit: ...infil already said this... crud...

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord
No because you can't control your vertical momentum until the peak of your jump, which unless you're Fox, takes way too long to be useful. And even if you're Fox this new "wavedash" will be about as useful as Bowser's.

Fanewgie

Smash Ace
Thanks for your positive comments. I kind of thought hearing early impressions before E for All (from someone I can confirm knows the advanced techniques of Smash, not a random press member) would be a nice surprise for the boards. Glad to see some people are seeing it as such.
I've been watching pretty intently, though I haven't said much, 'cause honestly I just don't care about wavedashing in the least.

What I'd like to know is details on entrances we haven't seen, Final Smashes, and new moves or tweaks or favorite veterans have been getting. Also, music playing on the varying stages and Sonic's victory music. :D

Ban Heim

Smash Ace
From what the OP is trying to say, you can't control where you air dodge to. So that means you can't air dodge into the ground.
I understand that, but what I meant was that you could SH, start to fast fall in whatever direction as soon as possible, and then airdodge (which would lead into a wavedash since you're already FFing towards the ground).

It probably wouldn't be as fast as Y34HDUD3!!! said, but it should be possible.

EDIT: People post way too fast.

Red Exodus

Smash Master
I don't see how limiting the direction you can dodge in would help Sakurai accomplish better air combat.

Lemon Drop

Smash Lord
I understand that, but what I meant was that you could SH, start to fast fall in whatever direction as soon as possible, and then airdodge (which would lead into a wavedash since you're already FFing towards the ground).

Well this Demo is not the final product. Though speculating from some videos and not actually testing it ourselves on the game, we won't know until this E for All event, then the actual release of the game.

Be pretty neat though.

Shai Hulud

Smash Lord

This is just SH into waveland, which is sometimes useful but not as a fast approach or for spacing.

Top Bottom