• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Demo played (at DigiPen party)! Wavedashing (in Melee form) appears to be out!

Shuma

Smash Hero
Aniway... from what i can see, Fox lowers his arms to his belt and then the reflector pops up, why? he jumps besides Bowser, stays there doing nothing and then the Reflector pops up.

"I think", the quality is horrible.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Exorcist, your vehemence is pretty astounding. What did I do to you?

Zauron, it was not a publicly advertised event. It was a closed-doors event that my friend was graciously allowed to attend due to him being a Masters student at DigiPen and having hookups in the adjacent Nintendo building. My friend tells me it was held in Cafe Mario's cafeteria today at lunch time (and will be there the rest of the week, as well).

I will now check the video links provided by the various respondents.

BentoBox

Smash Master
Oh god, if WDing as we know it gets altered, I'll be having an awesome time reading all your angry posts. How pathetic can people get, lol...

"Wavedashing OUT!? EPIC FAIL EPIC EPIC FAIL, clearly a troll! Wavedashing can't be out"

That's what i see here... *sigh*

C.Olimar788

Smash Ace
Y'know, that video doesn't prove a whole lot. As it's been said, it's horrendous quality, and maybe Fox's shine is a little slower, or just felt slower, perhaps due to not being able to jump cancel or something. As far as I'm concerned, none of you have the right to be such jerks until either a quality video with Fox's shine is shown or someone fins a video proving him wrong on the air dodging thing. Either that, or Zauron finds out that DigiPen really didn't have a party. Still, you guys are being such jerks. It's really unnecessary. It's one thing to prove someone wrong, or even call them a troll with some GOOD EVIDENCE to back you up, but...

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman
What I see is competitive players in denial that wavedashing might be out.

Anyway, I like the idea of air dodgeing in the direction you are currently going. As for Fox's shine, a person to analyze and over analyze the video must:

a) have too much time on their hands

b) want to prove someone wrong by linking an inderect thing (fox's shine) to the topic (wave dashing.)

Either way, I don't think the account matters much, because we'll all find out Febuary.

Edit: You hit the nail on the head C' Olmar.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
ITT exorcist is actually a 13 year old, or some guy who needs to get a life >_>lol
I bet he's some big fat guy eating chips and screaming to himself while he's typing. lawls.

Either that or he's some adolescent kid that probably has sex with his pillow every night thinking it's Peach Down Smashing his nutsack lawls.

Oh, he sounds like a tool.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Heh, that link was broken for me. The truncated "..." in the GamePro link doesn't work. Oh well.

See, Zauron shows how to ask a question nicely. I was more than happy to answer. I'm sure he doubts there was an event (turns out it wasn't on DigiPen's campus, but rather in Cafe Mario in the Nintendo building, which is just adjacent to DigiPen's main Redmond campus), but he asks without flaming.

If you disagree with me, just post links to videos (that work ;)) and say "but this evidence disagrees. How can you reconcile your impressions to this video?". You can disagree without flaming. It's actually not even all that hard!

Karleko

Smash Cadet
How can u L cancle with a wii remote??? there isnt even a L or R button
L-cancel doesn't stand for Left-cancel (Left being the left shield button on the GC controller with the L on it), L-cancel stands for Lag-cancel. So it should be cancelable (is that even a word) by de B button on the Wiimote.

Aryman

Smash Master
3DS FC
1934-0665-4529
Exorcist you are absolutely the WORST poster I have seen on these boards for a long, long while. And that's saying a lot.

Everyone else, we will find out if this is true on Thursday. For now stop with the flaming and take Infil's posts with a grain of salt.

Zauron

Smash Journeyman
Heh, that link was broken for me. The truncated "..." in the GamePro link doesn't work. Oh well.

See, Zauron shows how to ask a question nicely. I was more than happy to answer. I'm sure he doubts there was an event (turns out it wasn't on DigiPen's campus, but rather in Cafe Mario in the Nintendo building, which is just adjacent to DigiPen's main Redmond campus), but he asks without flaming.

If you disagree with me, just post links to videos (that work ;)) and say "but this evidence disagrees. How can you reconcile your impressions to this video?". You can disagree without flaming. It's actually not even all that hard!
I've sent e-mails off to several people to investigate this. I know more than person that's "in" with the administration, and several of my fellow employees are DigiPen graduates (I'm a game developer in the Kirkland/Redmond area). Plus, I have a friend who's an exec at NOA's Redmond offices and would likely know about anything of this nature.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
IF anyone has a problem with Excorcist just report him. People can get punished for being rude, trolling, etc.

It's the ! with red triangle.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
Cool, Zauron! Maybe you can finally give me some credibility. :)

I'm not defending to the death the Fox shine thing. I can easily see that he thinks Fox's shine might be slower just because the controller/hectic nature of the 4 player matches. This was his early impression of playing, though, and that's all I can pass along to you. In a video, how do you know how fast the shine comes out? Did you see when the guy pressed the button?

But I'm not here to defend that. If shine ends up being lighting fast, I can see why my friend's impressions might have been wrong. He did, however, jump straight up and couldn't airdodge to the side. Instead, he airdodged right in place. You can take from that what you will.

spikehappy07

Smash Journeyman
Vallejo, CA. Its a small city whom many people ove
It's good to know friends that are in locations where most epic **** go down. As for the rest of us who are going to E 4 all or is trying to go, find out if rolling onto the stage still makes the game think you're holding onto the ledge.

*Waits outside house to hitch a ride from someone going to LA*

BubbleShield

Smash Journeyman
<3

Seriously, Wavedashing is quickly becoming Ridley's younger brother.

"IT IZ IN BROL CUZ I SED SO !!!"
Leik totally, wavedashing is a lot harder than masturbating. In that case, why is there a need for wavedashing?

TheMagicalKuja

Smash Champion
3DS FC
2020-0988-7919
This topic is a circle-jerk of lol.

Interesting info but we'll have to wait until Thursday/the weekend before we can kick this in.

Also Ridley would be NICE to be in Brawl but I won't know until Sakurai says so.

Exorcist

Smash Journeyman
He did, however, jump straight up and couldn't airdodge to the side. Instead, he airdodged right in place. You can take from that what you will.

After he airdodges, also note that what he does afterward is not his freefall animation.

Source:http://www.destructoid.com/hands-on-...wl-48983.phtml
"A few gameplay elements have changed as well. For instance, if you do a dodge in the air, you can still do a jump afterwards. In Melee, if you did midair dodge, you couldn't recover until you landed on the ground."

Red Exodus

Smash Master
Hmmm, I can't tell what the **** is going on so I'll wait for the 18th or feb 10th.

Good luck with your thread.

NES n00b

Smash Master
Oxford, Mississippi. . . . permanent n00b
Doggalina's vid is freaken valid. If you can't see a dtilt to shine or the two shines that come out really fast and spike Bowser on the lower platform than squint at the monitor really hard because it is there. Plain sight, if you deny that Fox's shine comes out in 1 frame from bad vid quality than you are most likely protecting "the innocent one" from "the mean old poster" in your mind. I am not sure if he is trolling, but he is wrong.

Directional airdodging, first of all, who would want it not to come back instead of this momentum crud? That would be a bad design choice. However, that is not the point (it seems like people were embracing this for some reason like having less freedom of where you dodge is a good thing). The point is that in Diddy airdodged in the second Halberd vid to the left when jumping up.

BananaNut

Smash Journeyman

It could also be that Diti's normal air dodge pushes him forward. We don't know, so lets just wait.

Infil

Smash Journeyman
See Exorcist? Not that hard to post some proof.

I've seen that Diddy thing before. It might be the crappy GIF, or no context, but I'm not sure he's doing an air dodge there? Maybe some other move? (Why couldn't that be a second jump, for instance? My friend seems to speculate the same way)

Nonetheless, I've sent this GIF to my friend, and I'll see what he thinks about it. Maybe he'll do a more diligent survey of the topic when he goes back tomorrow to play with a classic controller! I'll ask him to test the Diddy thing more specifically... but I highly doubt you'll believe him, whatever he says!

Here's an abbreviated version of my conversation.

me: try it out tomorrow
see if that's his air dodge or 2nd jump
but i mean
you jumped straight up and couldn't air dodge to the side
you made it sound like that was undisputed

My Friend: well that's what I tried
and my char just "fell" down while in the dodge animation
I have no idea what Diddy's **** animation is
I didn't explicitly try dodging "UP"
I just tried side and down
the image just looks like a 2nd jump
maybe jump + dodge

WiiPlaya77

Smash Cadet
Wait a second, since when did an air dodge create a lil dust cloud like a second jump? i'm confused, there's gotta be a better example than that..if there is...

Karleko

Smash Cadet
It looks like Meta Knight teched, either that, or he hot the ground so hard he bounced off, to fall back down again.

Top Bottom