• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

[Dec 6, 2014] Ish, Now (Ann Arbor, Mi)

zyth

Smash Lord
so if i bring a P:M set up with no TV i still get venue fee waived right? thats what it says in original post

Overswarm

is laughing at you
I keep looking for an opportunity to come up to MI again to repeat the opening of Brawl, but you guys keep banning custom moves.

MI for scrub state

<3 vayseth

where's anther

stewyian

Smash Ace
so if i bring a P:M set up with no TV i still get venue fee waived right? thats what it says in original post
i changed it thanks for mentioning that, but yea u need a crt for a pm setup to get venue fee waived

Zackery Hendricks

Smash Apprentice
Phil should be bringing a full wii U setup with an adapter, surprised he hadn't posted about it before, just to let you plan a little easier.

zyth

Smash Lord
I keep looking for an opportunity to come up to MI again to repeat the opening of Brawl, but you guys keep banning custom moves.

MI for scrub state

<3 vayseth

where's anther

lol so I'm not the only one who wants customs

and I have a somewhat small old TV, hopefully it will be good enough to use

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
lol so I'm not the only one who wants customs

and I have a somewhat small old TV, hopefully it will be good enough to use
Most people do, they just don't know how to implement them and/or aren't willing to put forth the effort.

This is kind of random for this thread but has anyone tried their Wii U on an old CRT using the wii cables? I'm curious as to the graphical quality and if there is any sort of oddities like delay / stretched graphics or the like.

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
This is kind of random for this thread but has anyone tried their Wii U on an old CRT using the wii cables? I'm curious as to the graphical quality and if there is any sort of oddities like delay / stretched graphics or the like.
I use a CRT. There is no lag and the graphics are fine. Just not HD.

There is no reason why they shouldn't work as alternates for tournament set ups.

Last edited:

Overswarm

is laughing at you
OS, customs are sweet but they're a lot of work. I hope people put in the time to try it out!!
Ain't no work. You should check out AAmph's threads -- you only need one or two guys with 3DSes to load up the Wii U's once and you'll likely be set for good.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
Ain't no work. You should check out AAmph's threads -- you only need one or two guys with 3DSes to load up the Wii U's once and you'll likely be set for good.
You can only transfer sets- not unlock custom moves.

Vayseth

Smash Master
Yeah I got burned out trying to do it the old fashioned way. It's hard enough getting full set ups for Smash 4 as it is, let alone fully unlocked set ups.

Has the venue been finalized? Dearborn? Ann Arbor?

Last edited:

stewyian

Smash Ace
ATTENTION ALL READING THIS!!!!! IMPORTANT!!!!!!
Due to issues with hosting a tournament at U of M Dearborn, we are switching venues from U of M Dearborn to The Pierpont Commons in Ann Arbor. There is free parking right next to the venue as well, I apologize for the late notice but I am posting this just as I receive the confirmation that we have the venue. The room at Pierpont has a much bigger room giving us more room for setups, which will in effect allow the tournament to run smoother, which means more friendlies! I will be updating the smash boards thread today with the exact address, and room number along with where to park. The schedule will not change much, everything remains the same except we must leave the venue by 10:30 PM, there is a Buffalo Wild Wings nearby too, so we will be going there after for anyone who would like to join us. ALSO, we are not allowed to eat or have any alcohol in the room where we will be playing in, specifically the East Room is the room we will be using. Please do not break this policy as we may lose the privilege to use this room in the future. There is a cafe' downstairs with seats and tables to eat at along with a Quizno's and a few other places I believe. If you guys have any other questions let me know, I may be slow to respond because of School john's but I will reply as soon as I can. Also, if anyone will not be attending now because of the venue change due to a further driving distance, talk to me or Nate Daniel, we may be able to work something out. If you guys could please spread the word about the venue change that would be great.
PS- no need to fill out any forms for this event if you are a minor!

Last edited:

stewyian

Smash Ace
Also, we would like 10 Smash 4 setups and 10 Brawl or PM setups to run this tournament most efficiently, if you are confirmed to come and can bring a setup, please reply below and let me know what you intend to bring, thanks so much

Overswarm

is laughing at you
You can only transfer sets- not unlock custom moves.
Yeah, but it's still not a problem. One guy with a 3DS can supply a whole tournament one time and you're nearly set for the lifetime of the game, and we've got a better situation than that.

Nominate10

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5000-3932-8404
I can bring a full Brawl/PM setup and I can also bring a full Wii U setup but only if you allow them with CRTs (there's no lag using the wii's a/v cables). They would also both be for the same CRT, but it could be easily swapped to whatever is needed.
Let me know if I should bother bringing my Wii U or if a Wii U+CRT setup wouldn't be acceptable.

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
So this venue change pisses me off but I may still go because it's Pierpont and not Mason Hall and I can actually park somewhere and not have to worry about that bull****.

RagingMeerkat

Smash Rookie
NNID
burtonbrdr158
3DS FC
2921-9247-0657
I've competed in some online tournaments but I've yet to play in a real life one. Still, have to start somewhere, right? Plus, I live in Ann Arbor so I have no excuse not to come. Planning on being there!

Snow Black

Smash Cadet
NNID
sn0wblack
I have a Smash 4 setup but no GameCube adapter since Nintendo hates money... Still worth bringing it, or naw?
I'll have Project M for sure though!

stewyian

Smash Ace
I have a Smash 4 setup but no GameCube adapter since Nintendo hates money... Still worth bringing it, or naw?
I'll have Project M for sure though!
yes, people who cant bring setups may bring gcc adapters so if you have ur wii u and a tv it could possibly work

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
Hey I think the suicide rules really need to be much more detailed:

If you swallocide, how do you determine who wins? If they escape and die after the one who attempted the suicide dies, is it a successful suicide? Does the victim have to be inside of Kirby/DDD for it to be a successful suicide? How can you tell? Will you rewatch an entire 4-8 minute replay to check on it? What if you have to watch the replay more than once?

What if they escape, but then hit you and then the one who tried to suicide dies? Does that count as a kill? If it doesn't count as a kill, how do you know for sure the victim couldn't have recovered back to the stage and thus the suicide wasn't actually a suicide but he was legitly killed by the victim?

What if they couldn't recover back to the stage but they went for the kill and we can't tell if he could have made it back (thus the suicide was a failure and it was a legit kill), how will we know it's a legit kill or a successful suicide?

Etc

Maestro_

Court Composer
NNID
Maestro227
3DS FC
3411-1820-5923
Hey I think the suicide rules really need to be much more detailed:

If you swallocide, how do you determine who wins? If they escape and die after the one who attempted the suicide dies, is it a successful suicide? Does the victim have to be inside of Kirby/DDD for it to be a successful suicide? How can you tell? Will you rewatch an entire 4-8 minute replay to check on it? What if you have to watch the replay more than once?

What if they escape, but then hit you and then the one who tried to suicide dies? Does that count as a kill? If it doesn't count as a kill, how do you know for sure the victim couldn't have recovered back to the stage and thus the suicide wasn't actually a suicide but he was legitly killed by the victim?

What if they couldn't recover back to the stage but they went for the kill and we can't tell if he could have made it back (thus the suicide was a failure and it was a legit kill), how will we know it's a legit kill or a successful suicide?

Etc
This post is hilarious. As I was reading it, I thought you were gonna write up some equation going into every mathematical outcome that could come from an attempted swallowcide.

But I digress, It only applies to still being in them when the game ends. It's easy to tell. You don't have to watch the replay.

Yoshi Kirishima

Smash Lord
This post is hilarious. As I was reading it, I thought you were gonna write up some equation going into every mathematical outcome that could come from an attempted swallowcide.

But I digress, It only applies to still being in them when the game ends. It's easy to tell. You don't have to watch the replay.
Haha ok. I'm assuming if they escape and they're off screen, that little magnifying glass will pop up so we can tell if they escaped or not. And I'll take this as the official answer unless the TOs say otherwise; it does sound reasonable.

I guess that means with Kirby/DDD you gotta be careful when trying to suicide if it's your last stock!

Spec7re92

Smash Rookie
NNID
Spec7re
Man, I'd love to make it to this, but I have work saturday. Do you guys plan on holding another one sometime soon? I'll gladly bring whatever is needed.

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I wish I could go to this so hard, but I can't find someone to cover my shift. Nom and Snow go rep Novi!! I'll make sure I get to the next one.

LiteralGrill

Smokin' Hot~
Starters:
Final Destination
Battlefield
Smashville
Town and city
Lylat Cruise

Counterpicks:

Skyloft
Delfino Plaza
Battleship Halberd
Duck Hunt Stage
Kongo Jungle
Castle Siege
Any Omega stage
*If someone bans Final Destination, all Omegas are also banned.
Just curious, with Skyloft and Delfino Plaza legal, why no Wuhu Island? I'm also curious about the absence of Pokemon stadium 2 but not as much. I just see it on many online ladders and other events so I'm curious to the thoughts there. Otherwise I have to say I'm seriously liking this stagelist!

KentaKurodani

Smash Apprentice
NNID
KentaKurodani
3DS FC
5370-0467-0413
I freed up my schedule but have no reliable ride, does anyone in the metro detroit area have a seat open?

stewyian

Smash Ace
Some last minute reminders. Again no alcohol at all on campus grounds. If we catch u with alcohol, you will be DQd on the spot. Please do not eat in the room where we are playing smash, if u need to eat go to the seating area downstairs. Please bring setups to get your venue fee waived. Registration will end 30 minutes before every event except smash 4 singles, it will end an hour before for us to get pools done. Registration opens at 11, if u want to get into the capped pm or brawl bracket, plan to arrive before 11. Doors open at 10AM. We have to leave by 1030PM, the venue address is in the smashboards thread along with schedule, ill post the address below, we are also in the East Room at Pierpont, a detailed map of where the venue is and where to park is also located on the smashboards page, feel free to comment or message me to ask questions. My phone number is on the smashboards page, call me if u r going to not arrive in time before registration closes. Venue is 2101 Bonisteel Blvd Ann Arbor, we are in the East room, only default miis / palutena aloowed, no customs.

Top Bottom