• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Dawn of the 3D Remake: Young Link for DLC! (ROY IS SEMI-CLONED! HOPE FOR MOVESET CHANGES RISES!)

GalacticPetey

Smash Journeyman
NNID
GalacticPetey
In PM it was meant to be a fun little easter egg. Not exactly supposed to be a viable option.

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
The Young Link taunt meta would be huge! Huge, I tell you, huge!

Plague von Karma

The Resource Mogul
NNID
chippy2000
3DS FC
1848-2511-8044
Switch FC
SW-0980-5769-9485
I personally agree with the taunt thing. I've played Young Link and WFT in my smash life, and to be honest, with how long the taunt is, maybe depending on how long you last taunting, you heal 1% per sip? Young Link sips 3 times, so 2% from 1 sip, 4% from 2 sips, and 6% for 3 sips. Seems like a nice idea, right?

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I personally agree with the taunt thing. I've played Young Link and WFT in my smash life, and to be honest, with how long the taunt is, maybe depending on how long you last taunting, you heal 1% per sip? Young Link sips 3 times, so 2% from 1 sip, 4% from 2 sips, and 6% for 3 sips. Seems like a nice idea, right?
He actually takes two sips.

I want to cuddle Young Link.
Same :3

Maybe the Young Link amiibo could be a nice alternative. Can't you find those in your local toy store though?
Young Link amiibo? But he doesn't have one......
yet

FairyLip

Smash Apprentice
NNID
SmoothJazz
OoT/MM Link is such an interesting character. He's been through so much, the poor kid, and yet he still manages to stay courageous.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
I also have a moveset idea for him that could work, that's completely different from yours, as it doesn't use masks. Not asking for you to put it in the post or anything but just putting this out there:

Neutral B: Ice arrows, since Toon Link already has Fire Arrows as a custom. Ice arrows freeze opponents at substantial percentages. The higher the percentage, the less it has to be charged to freeze. At full charge it always freezes, even at 0%

Side B: Deku Stick, since MM Link lacks a boomerang. It would break when it hits, but would do a great amount of damage, and could take a nasty chunk off a shield. When the stick breaks, it gets a cooldown like Robin's specials.

Up B: Spin attack, but this one's different. The more it's charged, the bigger its range is. And it can be charged in midair, to give you a higher boost similar to Diddy's Up B, but of course, like the other spin attacks it doesn't give you lift from the ground.

Down B: Instead of Bombs, he gets Bomchu. Now, Bombchu already exist as an item, but these Bombchu would be slightly weaker than the actual item, like how the other Links' bombs are far weaker than any of the other item bombs.

Final Smash would be the same as you have it though

Taunts:
Up: Plays a short Ocarina tune, like how Toon Link uses the Wind Waker
Side: Puts on and takes off a mask, like Lucina, but it's a different random mask every time.
Down: Milk drink

Skyfox2000

War it never changes...
NNID
Skyfox2000
I would be splendid if Young Link returned, but how would the masks be implemented into his movest? I did read the thread OP! How would it work? I picture lots of startup lag to it if he had to put on each mask!

SMAASH! Puppy

Smash Legend
I would be splendid if Young Link returned, but how would the masks be implemented into his movest? I did read the thread OP! How would it work? I picture lots of startup lag to it if he had to put on each mask!
It would have a bunch of startup lag, so transformations would have to be used when the opponent is recovering, or KOed. As far as how you would use the move, one of two buttons could be used for this purpose.

1. Down Special: The more popular choice, but I'm not too keen on it because Young Link would loose his bombs. (Or his bow if they made his bombs become his Neutral Special.)
2. Taunts: This would make Young Link be the only character to have useful taunts. (Unless the Pokémon Trainer returns.) It would also preserve Young Link's special moves. The transformations wouldn't be turn based, or confusing to those who don't have access to the internet. (It took me forever to figure out Sonic's Spin Charge.)

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
I think bombs have always been important for any Link incarnation, be it Link, Yink or Tink. Swapping bombs for masks would suck.

I'm still offering my support for this character. I never thought they'd bring back Doc AND Roy (and Mewtwo). I hope they bring him back and make him more distinct like they did with Doc and Roy. Tbh, they were distinct in Melee too, but the clones in this game (sauf Doc) are lazily done.

Last edited:

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Well, given how transformation is out of the question, their are two other option for his mask us.

1. Young Link puts on the mask but doesn't transform. Instead, he places on the mask and gains access to one move that the mask can use in MM. An example would be say his Neutral B was Deku Mask. Pressing B would have Young Link place the Deku Mask on, but not transform, and having him perform the Deku Bubble move from MM. This version would take up 3 of his special. This is a smart moveset IMO but the downside is Young Link can have a Fierce Deity final smash transformation like Wario Man. It would have to be something like Link's or Shulk's

2. The second option is that Young Link uses his Masks much like Shulk's Mando Arts. Young Link shuffles through them and they change his stats. Deku would make him lighter, increase air speed and perform his moves faster though he is much easier to launch and takes more damage and can KO as well. Goron would make Young Link very much like Ganon. His a tank. Hard to hit away and hits even Hard. Though he is slow, like really slow and can't recover well. Zora is most all round, giving him improve jumps, slightly longer range and increased running speed and increase KO abilities and can swim forever. However he doesn't do as much damage and his moves come out a slower. The advantage to this moveset is that it only takes up one special move slot.

Personal, i prefer option one, but honest, I wouldn't mind if he kept a moveset similar to something of his Melee form
I also have a moveset idea for him that could work, that's completely different from yours, as it doesn't use masks. Not asking for you to put it in the post or anything but just putting this out there:

Neutral B: Ice arrows, since Toon Link already has Fire Arrows as a custom. Ice arrows freeze opponents at substantial percentages. The higher the percentage, the less it has to be charged to freeze. At full charge it always freezes, even at 0%

Side B: Deku Stick, since MM Link lacks a boomerang. It would break when it hits, but would do a great amount of damage, and could take a nasty chunk off a shield. When the stick breaks, it gets a cooldown like Robin's specials.

Up B: Spin attack, but this one's different. The more it's charged, the bigger its range is. And it can be charged in midair, to give you a higher boost similar to Diddy's Up B, but of course, like the other spin attacks it doesn't give you lift from the ground.

Down B: Instead of Bombs, he gets Bomchu. Now, Bombchu already exist as an item, but these Bombchu would be slightly weaker than the actual item, like how the other Links' bombs are far weaker than any of the other item bombs.

Taunts:
Side: Puts on and takes off a mask, like Lucina, but it's a different random mask every time.
I like this but maybe instead of Deku Stick for side B, Young Link could possible use a Deku nut. Would really help with kill set ups. Think they like Diddy's bananas.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Well, given how transformation is out of the question, their are two other option for his mask us.

1. Young Link puts on the mask but doesn't transform. Instead, he places on the mask and gains access to one move that the mask can use in MM. An example would be say his Neutral B was Deku Mask. Pressing B would have Young Link place the Deku Mask on, but not transform, and having him perform the Deku Bubble move from MM. This version would take up 3 of his special. This is a smart moveset IMO but the downside is Young Link can have a Fierce Deity final smash transformation like Wario Man. It would have to be something like Link's or Shulk's

2. The second option is that Young Link uses his Masks much like Shulk's Mando Arts. Young Link shuffles through them and they change his stats. Deku would make him lighter, increase air speed and perform his moves faster though he is much easier to launch and takes more damage and can KO as well. Goron would make Young Link very much like Ganon. His a tank. Hard to hit away and hits even Hard. Though he is slow, like really slow and can't recover well. Zora is most all round, giving him improve jumps, slightly longer range and increased running speed and increase KO abilities and can swim forever. However he doesn't do as much damage and his moves come out a slower. The advantage to this moveset is that it only takes up one special move slot.

Personal, i prefer option one, but honest, I wouldn't mind if he kept a moveset similar to something of his Melee form

I like this but maybe instead of Deku Stick for side B, Young Link could possible use a Deku nut. Would really help with kill set ups. Think they like Diddy's bananas.
Hm, actually. We could also potentially keep the stick, and have the Deku Nut be his bomb replacement. Stuns at high percentages, and at lower percentages, they can cause tripping.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Hm, actually. We could also potentially keep the stick, and have the Deku Nut be his bomb replacement. Stuns at high percentages, and at lower percentages, they can cause tripping.
Hm, maybe just keep it to stun rather than tripping, but is less effective at higher percents (think like shield break stun). And also, if the hit aerial opponents, it still cause explosion knockback like what the Deku nuts item do in Smash. Other than that, I agree with your moveset. And add that to a HW A moveset and Young Link would be amazing!

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
Also, since neither Link has a quick-jab combo, Young Link should keep his from Melee.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Also, since neither Link has a quick-jab combo, Young Link should keep his from Melee.

That's the general thought, though I had an idea. If Young Link was to take his A moveset from HW, Young Link's Radip Jab could become his Weak Point Smash move.
Around 0.52
That would be amazing. Though i can see some problems in it actually happening (i.e. the fact that young link has to transform)

Though either way, Young Link should definitely get the rapid jab back

Dre89

Smash Hero
NNID
Dre4789
Bump

If Young Link gets in, it'd be as veteran DLC so he'd be mostly unchanged. Only mask interaction would be the obvious Fierce Deity final smash. At best we'd have him wearing a mask on his alts or something. If he got in I hope they at least brought back Great Bay too.

Eight_SixtyFour

Smash Ace
That's the general thought, though I had an idea. If Young Link was to take his A moveset from HW, Young Link's Radip Jab could become his Weak Point Smash move.
Around 0.52
That would be amazing. Though i can see some problems in it actually happening (i.e. the fact that young link has to transform)

Though either way, Young Link should definitely get the rapid jab back
I like the rapid jab idea. Please don't suck if it's in.

That voice needs to be in too.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Bump

If Young Link gets in, it'd be as veteran DLC so he'd be mostly unchanged. Only mask interaction would be the obvious Fierce Deity final smash. At best we'd have him wearing a mask on his alts or something. If he got in I hope they at least brought back Great Bay too.
But then Young Link would have to possible have his Hyrule Warrios Moveset as his normal moveset or FD would have to be a final Smash like Shulk's.

I like the rapid jab idea. Please don't suck if it's in.

That voice needs to be in too.
I hope so to.

AND YES TO THIS. Gods, I love Young Link voice in HW. It's so adorable. :3

:135:

-crump-

Smash Champion
3DS FC
1590-4951-5915
Switch FC
SW-4366-1207-0908

Taunts:
I like this move set a lot.
...Especially since I don't think the masks will have time to be implemented, if he were to actually be added.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
I like this move set a lot.
...Especially since I don't think the masks will have time to be implemented, if he were to actually be added.
I agree with this. It would be nice if they could do a mask moveset, but given the time and technology limitations, I don't think it will happen.

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
But the thing is, it's more than technical limitations. Sakurai already wanted to stop having transformations, because like he said before, having someone need to totally change their playstyle in the middle of a battle is not good, and so transformations really were a bad idea in the first place. I would rather transformations weren't thought of so much for Young Link. And as for Fierce Deity for the final smash, that can still happen, because Wario seems to do it just fine!

xDizxy

Smash Journeyman
Love how this thread only has 500 posts while others has thousands. No one wants a third link. One is annoying to begin with. Other veterans such as wolf or snake are much more highly requested. Don't think young link is even in the top 10.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Love how this thread only has 500 posts while others has thousands. No one wants a third link. One is annoying to begin with. Other veterans such as wolf or snake are much more highly requested. Don't think young link is even in the top 10.

But the thing is, it's more than technical limitations. Sakurai already wanted to stop having transformations, because like he said before, having someone need to totally change their playstyle in the middle of a battle is not good, and so transformations really were a bad idea in the first place. I would rather transformations weren't thought of so much for Young Link. And as for Fierce Deity for the final smash, that can still happen, because Wario seems to do it just fine!
I guess that's true. Though Y.Link could still have the mask, even with transformation.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Awww someone a wittle salty? Boohoo don't be mad because what I said is true. You're probably one of those people that hate on dr.mario
Oh M8, don't even get started on this. I don't hate Dr. Mario. In fact, i don't hate any of the 3 clones. I wasn't bothered by their inclusion and I still don't really mind that they are clones. They were last minute gifts. I love Lucina. I think she's actually greater than Roy and Marth combined, but that's just me.

Also, I will have you know, Young Link is by all standards a very popular, both in and out of Smash and has as much chance as getting in as Snake.

So M8, don't even start. Have you seen my avatar?

:135:

Nefnoj

Smash Lord
Awww someone a wittle salty? Boohoo don't be mad because what I said is true. You're probably one of those people that hate on dr.mario
Just because it's statistically and literally the exact truth... Doesn't mean that Young Link can't be made to be awesome.
While Wolf and Snake are wanted exactly as is and don't need fixing, the biggest reason that people don't want Young Link is because they don't want him to be an exact clone... And most of the people here seem to agree, hence the whole comparison to Roy.

I love semi-clones, am less fond of Lucina and Dark Pit.

Last edited:

Twin Shot

Smash Journeyman
Shulk like stat change applied to young link in a new, unique way:

Masks swapped with down taunt - no transformation, but current mask equipped is displayed on Yink. Bombs are left as down special because stats modify projectiles.

(Up taunt is obviously milk)

Deku - Stronger Ariels/Weaker Ground

Goron - Stronger Ground/Weaker Projectiles

Zora - Stronger Projectiles/Weaker Ariels

Keaton - Default

Last edited:

Yellowpikmin476

Smash Apprentice
NNID
Yellowpikmin476
3DS FC
4854-6467-1287
It's a good idea. I think for this case they better alleviate the taunting cap online so he can actually use this.

The Merc

Hyrule's "Light"
Shulk like stat change applied to young link in a new, unique way:

Masks swapped with down taunt - no transformation, but current mask equipped is displayed on Yink. Bombs are left as down special because stats modify projectiles.

(Up taunt is obviously milk)

Deku - Stronger Ariels/Weaker Ground

Goron - Stronger Ground/Weaker Projectiles

Zora - Stronger Projectiles/Weaker Ariels

Keaton - Default
That is actually a really cool idea and the stats the each mask changes is actually really good. I want this in Young Link's moveset now.

Top Bottom