• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Customs, EVO, and Making Sets

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
Mr. Wizard says Mewtwo can be decided after he comes out
There was a problem fetching the tweet

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
So let me talk about Mii heights and weights for now. For the most part, all three Mii boards seem to believe that a Mii set at its thinnest and at 1/4 height is the optimal way to run it. There hasn't been a terribly LARGE amount of discussion on the matter, but I went ahead and made some beta Miis, each at their thinnest weight and 1/4 height, so we can test them out and see if they can't be optimized further, y'know?

Now, I want to mention that Mii Maker on 3DS is very bizarre. First off, because there's an even number of ticks between each line on the sliders, I can't land the slider EXACTLY on a 1/4, but it's possible to have one tick above or below 1/4. There's also an annoying thing where, each time you move the slider and leave the screen, the slider moves down by 1 tick(this only happens once for each time the slider is moved, constantly going back to the screen and leaving won't change it further), so with this in mind, I set the slider at one tick ABOVE 1/4, which would make it fall to one tick BELOW 1/4. If someone has a better suggestion on how to address this, I'm all ears.

At some point, I plan on creating these Miis on Wii U, since you actually can land on a true 1/4 setting due to an increased number of ticks, and then transferring them to 3DS, and whatever the 3DS's equivalent to Wii U's 1/4 is, I suppose we'll run with.

Keep in mind these Miis are currently the exact same height and weight as each other, with their only differences being cosmetic. You only need to scan all three if you want some flavor differences. Also, for now, these Miis will be editable, but at the time of the official release, I'm going to make sure they cannot be edited, in order to reduce the level of troublemakers who might take the Miis and adjust their heights and weights by a few ticks to mess people up.

So yeah, is thinnest Mii with 1/4 height the best way to run all three of these guys? Would it be more preferable for some of them to be shorter and thus have even less ending lag? Or for a Mii to be taller and have even more range?

Last edited:

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
I think we should focus on Miis. The topic was already going in that direction anyway.

Someone did research on Mii height/weight before, right? Does anyone have a link to that?

Due to how awkward this setup is, it's probably not feasible to make all combinations of height/weight and such on top of the combinations of custom moves.

What is a reasonable amount of Mii slots to use?

Last edited:

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I don't have any direct links but I seem to recall a high weight increases your... weight, whereas a low weight increases your maneuverability. A tall height gives you more range, while a low height gives you less endlag on all of your moves.

As far as survivability weight goes, the difference between fattest and thinnest Mii is very negligible, and not worth trading off for the movement abilities that a thin Mii obtains, so everyone agrees a Mii should always be as thin as possible.

For height, I seem to recall everyone valuing being less punishable for throwing out moves over range, but the absolute shortest height may be a little too short in range. There seems to be a consensus for Miis being at 1/4 height so they have at least some respectable range but are still allowed to throw out moves with relative safety.

Flamecircle

Smash Apprentice
I don't have any direct links but I seem to recall a high weight increases your... weight, whereas a low weight increases your maneuverability. A tall height gives you more range, while a low height gives you less endlag on all of your moves.

As far as survivability weight goes, the difference between fattest and thinnest Mii is very negligible, and not worth trading off for the movement abilities that a thin Mii obtains, so everyone agrees a Mii should always be as thin as possible.

For height, I seem to recall everyone valuing being less punishable for throwing out moves over range, but the absolute shortest height may be a little too short in range. There seems to be a consensus for Miis being at 1/4 height so they have at least some respectable range but are still allowed to throw out moves with relative safety.
I thought weight also increased damage.

Does mii height effect the mii gunner's disjoint ranges? If not there could be a case for minimal height gunners.

John12346

Smash Master
NNID
JohnNumbers
I thought weight also increased damage.

Does mii height effect the mii gunner's disjoint ranges? If not there could be a case for minimal height gunners.
Weight increases damage too, but only by a very negligible amount.

Also, I just checked it out, and every single one of Gunner's A moves, with the exception of Fair, increases in range with a taller Mii.

ItsRainingGravy

Smash Ace
Switch FC
SW-5960-2538-9300
Honestly, I think that Miis need a topic of their own here in the competitive section. They seem relatively unknown competitively. Whether that's not allowing them/banning them because of them not being main characters, not knowing what the most optimal sets are due to their varied custom moves on top of height/weight statistical advantages and disadvantages, or other reasons.

With a topic here in the competitive section dedicated specifically to the Miis and how they could be used in tournaments, preparing Miis/players for their tournament usage, and having a central hub in which optimal Mii sets can be discussed regarding custom moves/height and weight classes, this could potentially solve the unawareness of Miis in general. And it would allow for a much more rapid flow of information about them to be known by more people/competitive players.

Last edited:

popsofctown

Smash Champion
Why 1/4th height? Why not 1/3rd height or or 1/6th height? Is there something magical about that amount?

Amazing Ampharos

Balanced Brawl Designer
Writing Team
Why 1/4th height? Why not 1/3rd height or or 1/6th height? Is there something magical about that amount?
It is what has been suggested by mains of all three Mii types. We don't have any special mechanical insights; it is just a common player opinion that this is a good height.

Piford

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperZelda
I believe that made them all enough so that their attacks reached through the platform of Battlefield.

mega4000

Smash Journeyman
I am quickly becoming a Custom Moves dissenter.

Evo should not be testing grounds for major rules changes.

As a longtime competitor nationwide I've known competitive standards have a default setting of the game that will evolve over time when (and if) it takes precedence. Brawl took a heavy hit when Evo pushed Items ON for their first tourney and it hurt the reputation of that game so much and just paved the way for a return to Melee (which is still enjoying Evo spotlight).

Best I can do is exactly what the custom movement is doing: crossing my fingers and hoping this whole thing doesn't blow up in our faces (which is strangely the exact feeling AA's post gives off with his worrying over issues).
So, you don't want customs for evo, yet you still want your alternate mii movesets... hummm...

T0MMY

Smash Master
So, you don't want customs for evo, yet you still want your alternate mii movesets... hummm...
LOL @ Implying that I am somehow being selfish due to being a Mii main.
I'm just stating the principles behind standard competition that a community plays the game at its default and makes major rules changes when necessitated, not at mere whim.

This is the same stance I've held back when I was a Greninja main. Sir, please refrain from the disrespect. Thanks.

Top Bottom