• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide CunningKitsune's Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud

DDurbs

Smash Rookie
After getting my n00b-behind handed to me I went online to find a guide that has Fox's advanced techniques. I have read yours and I have to say this is the best guide I have yet to (or ever will) encounter. You write extremely well, instructing the reader in a detailed manner without talking down to them. To be honest I really don't think I have the skill to fully master Fox, but I'll try my absolute best.

Rayzorium

Smash Apprentice
Awesome, awesome guide. I read most of it, and I came to the obvious conclusion that Fox is the sexiest character ever.

I did notice something you left out, though. Contrary to popular belief, the Space Animals' secret taunt doesn't have anything to do with pressing side to side on the control pad. All you have to do is hit down on the control pad for one frame. When you press side to side, it will usually slip either up or down very briefly, so pressing side to side jut became generally accepted.

Eclipsing Binary said this first, in another topic, so that's where the credit goes. Just thought I'd bring it over.

RaGNoRaK

Smash Apprentice
Great stuff. Good idea.

Maybe just a few updates on the new shine combos or something.
Or how about that DACG(boosted grab?) fox uses. And that double shb... or that backwards one. Its nothing important for Guide readers though...

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
I hope that you guys didn't think I had actually forgotten about this! :) This post is to reaffirm what my sig says, that yes, an update is coming with loads of good/new stuff, including the things that RaGNoRaK has mentioned and much more; the update as it stands now on my hard drive is a hefty 153 KB, a 16 KB increase from Version 2.33, and that's only from filling in/editing the move descriptions! However, I may have to hold off on the HRC and BtT things in order to maintain a practical deadline (or I will just ignore them altogether, which will probably be the case, since SSkeeto's FAQ dominates the HRC FAQ arena, and I'm sure that there is a BtT FAQ somewhere...). While working on the update, I will also be collecting various Fox-related vids on DC++, ranging from matches with skilled Fox players to the world-record HRC and BtT vids for Fox to informational and instructional vids. If time permits, I will cite these vids, the best of the best of Fox media, in the guide itself, providing a quick and easy means for readers to download and view videos of some things that they do not understand (these vids will be cited from my DC++ shared folder, marking me as the source; if you know of or have a good Fox vid that you do not see in my shared folder, feel free to get in touch with me concerning it, and I will see whether it is worth citing here).

That is all. :beezo:

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Yo, I wanna help you out with videos and the guide. LOL I was planning on making a training video, so if you are gonna update the guide we could just splice our ideas together. PM me and we can talk more.

s01

Smash Rookie
yep - i like ur guide

i read ur whole guide. i just bought ssbm recently and reading ur guide tells a lot about the game, as well as fox. i only really play fox atm, and very far behind in learning all the tactics u talk about. however, i think it was all good reading, although i had to skim the shine infinite part since it'll be a while before i can pull them off. great stuff - what guides should be like! top stuff, two thumbs up.

Sholow

Smash Rookie
Best guide I've read about my new project character.

My main character is Falco, but he gets boring rather quickly. Shine-to-spike's and SHL's are fun for a while, but I wanted something faster. You have inspired me to master, or at least attempt to master, Fox. Anyways, some things you forgot to mention or just didn't know about. The short-hopped double laser (SHDL), which is, as the name implies, short-hopping, then shooting twice. Not sure if it's fast-falled, since I haven't actually seen it done or tried it myself yet, but I'm d/ling a vid right now (on 56k, unfortunately), but you may want to mention that. Oh, and wavedancing is a mind game/tactic you forgot to mention. And if you really want to be completely thorough (I mean COMPLETELY), then you can go into depth describing his 4 costumes. I personally prefer the Green/Black one. That's all I can think of for now, but if I think of something else, I'll post. Fox pwnz :).

stilettotrap

Smash Ace
Falco has plenty of stuff to keep you occupied... shine-spike-shine-spike-shine-spike and SHLs aren't all the depths to his character :p

He eats through shields too v__v

Actually, most of Fox and Falco's shield penetrating strats are about the same. Upon getting something blocked, waveshine the shield a few times... then jab and follow with utilt spam or ftilt or dtilt. Alternatively, short hop out of the last shine into an aerial and start over. >_>

Assuming the opponent doesn't try to roll away during all of this, you're almost guaranteed to get through at some point... fun fun fun stuff. :]]]]]]

Sholow

Smash Rookie
Alright, I thought of something. I can't believe it took me so long to realize that you never mentioned one of the most important advanced tactics...ledge-hopping. I consider this an advanced tactic because when I was a noob (we all were, trust me), I never knew about it. By noob, I mean the best tactic I knew was dodge-roll to a forward smash...it worked against the computers :p. Anyways, ledge-hopping with Fox is very different than ledge-hopping with, say, Sheik. Sheik can ledge-hop, do an aerial, get back to the ledge. Fox's aerials last too long for him to grab back onto the edge. So my question is this: Do you usually just wavedash back onto the edge (another advanced tactic, btw. Kind of goes along with ledge-hopping, though), or do you just nair or dair back up? I usually find myself dairing back up to my opponent, but occasionally I'll wavedash back. Usually only if I'm ahead a stock, because I self-destruct about 50% of the time trying this tactic :p.

On to Falco. Falco, Falco, Falco. He's been my favorite character even when I was a noob and didn't know about wavedashing/L-cancelling/etc. Mainly because of his spike, but also because he was much easier for a noob to control than the character he's cloned after. Anyways, that was over two years ago, and after two years of playing the same character, I thought I'd move onto something new, so I thought I'd try Fox. Mainly because he's generally considered the hardest character to "master." But also because a lot of his move's spacing and timing are similar to Falco's, so I thought it would be a much easier transition than, say, Captain Falcon.

Speaking of the difficulty of Fox...I can shffl aerials pretty consistently (about 80% of the time), wavedashing isn't a problem, waveshining is still a bit difficult--oh, could somebody tell me which button they use to jump-cancel the shine into a wavedash, Usually I just used Up to jump-cancel the shine, but trying to wavedash using up to jump is excessively difficult. I am experimenting using "Y" now, but it's rather awkard to have my thumb on "B" and my pointer finger on "Y". I can't use "X" because my finger can't let go of "B", and I don't think it's physically possible to let go of "B" then hit "X" fast enough to jump-cancel the shine. And of course, if I can't waveshine consistently, then I can't do the infinite combo's consistently. My record is 5 shines in a row right now against a Peach on Final Destination in 1P Training Mode in 1x speed. Sad, I know. Anyways, it's a work in progress, and I am still the best in my area no matter what character I use, sadly.

Recap, ledge-hopping, Falco is similar to Fox, waveshining, and one more thing. Who is generally considered the best overall Fox player? I've seen Thunders, masashi, and Isai play. I must say that Thunders has the most impressive Fox (he does the infinite combo for a little while, and he SHDL's almost flawlessly, alhough he rarely shuffles nair, which Isai spams constantly), but Isai seems to move for fluidly then all of the others. Probably because he constantly wavedashes and shffl's nairs. And if anybody cares to share their record for the infinite shine combo's, please do so and say who you did it against (character-wise, not player-wise). Wow, that was a long post, hope the five minutes you wasted reading it wasn't a complete waste :).

FalseFalco

Smash Master
http://encyclomedia.org/clips/videoclip.html

thats my record, and btw that whole movie was done with a digital camera that takes 60 second clips and leaves a little black line. you must have quicktime installed and possibly set as the default player.

ledgehopping was a carry-over from ssb so that wasnt too much of a problem for myself, i sure wish I had carried over L cancelling (yeah you can do it in ssb) that would have made a huge improvement and in terms of your shine cancel/wavedash, anything but up will probably do, up is very possible but just not worth it. I use X and as demonstrated it works well for me, but then again i was the only one in my group that used the far-right C button to jump in ssb so that carried over too. use whatever you feel like. i use Y for shdl. fox probably isnt the hardest to master, id say like bowser? or probably kirby.

to reply to your other post, SHDL is not fast falled.

Sholow

Smash Rookie
This guide should be stickied.

Anyways, more questions from the fox master-to-be :). What is Fox's usual approach? I usually just SHL or blaster spam until they come to me, seems to work fine against my friends, but then again, they're not exactly pros. Dashdancing: should Fox ever need to use this? Like, I use dashdancing with Marth and Falcon, but when I play Fox, I don't feel like I need it.

Using "X" for waveshining made it a lot easier, since I wavedash using "X" and "L", it just feels more natural to waveshine with the same buttons. Feel kinda stupid for not thinking about it before :p. My goal rignt now is infinite shines: "The epitome of Fox skill." Another thing I find myself doing is short-hopping uair to start a juggle. I think it's more for showy purposes, but I was wondering if anybody else did this.

I know this is more of a subjective thing, but which character is Fox worst against? What's his "counter character" if you want to call it it that?

That's all I got for now. And btw, FalseFalco, thx for posting that vid, I'll check it out when I have time to d/l it.

nevermore

Smash Cadet
Quick question about the mechanics of waveshining. I know the idea is to jump out of the shine and use that jump as the start of a wave dash. Do you have to jump while the B button is still pressed down (which would require another finger on X or Y or a really quick control stick action) or is there a window of time after you release B but before the shine shutdown animation starts where you could press jump with the same finger you had pressing B?

Doraki

Smash Lord
wether you release the B button or not, the shine will be out for a short amount of time if you don't jump-cancel it, so you don't have to jump while the B button is still down.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Jump cancelled/wave shine

The B button does not need to be pressed down while jumping. there is a WIDE window of time to press jump/L when your opponent is knocked back(IMO) there is slightly less of a window if you want to follow up with a move.

::UPDATE:: 152 jump cancelled shines for a total of 420 damage.

btw, foxtrot>dashdance so......canter dance? or gallop dance? or just trotdance...

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Really, there is no be-all, end-all "better" button. You just have to use what you're comfortable with. For me, that just so happens to be Y, and I stick to that, so you just have to do the same thing as relevent to your playing style.

Anyway, update progress for the guide has slowed to a painfully slow rate. School is in full swing, complete with all manner of projects and papers, so you can imagine how little time that I have to devote to this for the time being. However, don't write off any updates yet. Rest assured that I am working on it, as well as compiling a list of the best Fox media (a work still in progress, obviously, which will be updated as new vids surface, of course).

Patience.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
cunning how come you aren't editing the version on the front page because i got confused at first when your sig said 2.33 but the page says 1.00 o_O :p

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Er... The page does say Version 2.33, right there at the top in bold-face type. :p You must've been looking at when Version 1.00 was created or other such randomness.

Zanguzen

Smash Lord
:p my bad although it still says 1.00 below it and 1.00 stands out for some reason lol thx for uh pointing that out lol

D1

Banned via Administration
Thanks man, this guide will definitely smoothen out my Fox's game and make it less dash in and attack...man after reading this I've been shining more than ever...

*sniff* feels good to not get shield grabbed...

thanks again!

SVYusuke

Smash Cadet
I know i'm madd late but i just wanted to say this has to be one of the best guides i've read. Are there any other character guides by CunningKitsune?

bornfidelity.com

Smash Master
It's been two months since the last reply, and I thought I might add in some words of praise.
First of all, obvious, this is the best guide that ever was made on any character and any game ever.
That put aside, it's surpsisingly how well you tend to explain everything. You don't just tell people what L-Cancelling is, you tell them how to do it - I mailed the link to my 13-year-old nephew and even he understanded it :)
It took me three days, however, to read the full thing (just the parts on the front page, I haven't checked what's between this and that), so I can only begin to imagine how long it must've taken to actually create it.
I'd almost say that the last half of the guide should be spread to any smash-player, but hey, we Foxes don't want to lose our advantage :)

Anyway, awesome job. You got my respect.

FalseFalco

Smash Master
Originally posted by bornfidelity.com
13-year-old nephew and even he understanded it
XD!

but anyways yes i agree with you, its entirely in depth and even the psychological aspects are touched upon. Definatley the best guide ever made and the volume of information matches fox's capacity for strategies quite well. Good job.

*bump*

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Heh, well, I'm glad that I'm able to clarify things so well, bornfidelity.com. :beezo:

Well, it's summer, meaning the end of AP and crazy amounts of homework and projects and the beginning of the extremely-stalled updates for this guide. The version as we see here is something like 137 KB; the one currently on my computer at the time of this post is around 154 KB, and that's only the work done before this next round of updates. To any readers waiting in suspense, rest assured that this update will be quite large. To illustrate: tourney experience while writing this draft: 0. Tourney experience as of now: 6 tournaments under my belt and 1 tourney win.

It should be quite the update, if I do say so myself.

Also, thank you to bornfidelity.com and FalseFalco for your excellent comments in addition to bumping this back up to the front page of threads. I'll have to ask CORY, M3D, or Ryoko (who knows if he still frequents SWF, though...) to sticky this so it doesn't fall back down the abyss again. >_>

By the way, False, nice Falco. :)

DonkeyPirate

Smash Journeyman
i found it on gamefaqs the first time i used it. it took me from the worst smash bros player with my friends, to the best. they had all been playing like a year longer than me when i started and now after only afew months im unstoppable. (they dont do any of the advanced techniques.) thanks man

NJzFinest

Smash Hero
cunning, i still dont think fast-fall, l-canceled drill kick, upsmash is a combo. i cant do it, dont say cause im l-canceling wrong cause im a really good l-canceler. this combo seems too cheap too, if it was possible, i guess i would be in many vids. i guess i'll stick to drill, waveshine, upsmash since this is impossible. and if it is, it's too hard

FalseFalco

Smash Master
only two moves combo from the drill, shine and jab. Therefore drill->waveshine->usmash is a valid combo but also at high percents or on floaty characters you can drill->jab->usmash. Or if you're a real *** you can drill jab jab usmash.

Top Bottom