• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Guide CunningKitsune's Guide to Ace Arwing Pilot Fox McCloud

bluelion20

Smash Ace
I dunno. Its your choice really. I only battled once in the old RPG, but it was pretty fun. But if you don't use the RPG, you know who to give your gil to (i.e. me).

And also, you can't post any more FAQs on gamefaqs (just for SSBM). Warrior of Zarona posted a petition to deleted all the FAQs and make room for the new ones, but that mean mod Devin Morgan nullified it. Right now, we have to get all the FAQs down individually, via the reporting system. I already filed a report on this crappy Marth guide, but its not down yet.

And BTW, I too suggested that this guide should be posted on gfaqs, back in the petition topic. Obviously nothing has happened yet, but this would make a great addition to gamefaqs.

FoxsAxis

Smash Cadet
Ok, if your going to post something, post something about the guide or at least near it. Sorry for playing mod but please.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Updates coming...

Just letting everyone know, I do have plans to update this guide with the stuff that I missed, such as the stuff that Mow has mentioned. I probably will not add a section for BtT and HRC; that stuff takes a different set of abilities, and this guide is mostly intended for improving the one-on-one machine that is Fox. Before that time, I would be grateful if some people would pop in here, read the guide, and report on what they think should be included or what I missed. I plan to write a section for one-on-one character matches, so don't request that. This guide is set to go up at GameFAQs for their Great SSBM FAQ Plan, so please consider carefully what you request. Silvance, administrator of Melee World Forums (the site in my now-used sig), has also requested this guide, and I might post it at NeoSeeker or other random SSBM forums if the Fox guides there make me cry. I would greatly appreciate some input from you guys, so take the time to read and respond if you can find some. Thanks in advance!

CaliburChamp

Smash Master
3DS FC
1392-6575-2504
Just want to say that this is the best character guide I have seen here. My friend who plays as Fox already saved this on his computer. Good Stuff!

KishCubed

Smash Apprentice
holy cow, id be a million times more impressed if you could tell me all this stuff off the top of your head, Lol. Anyways though awesome guide, sooooooooooooooooooo much info!

stupid_FRO

Smash Rookie
Ur such a stupid Fro!!!!!!!! You have no life. Who has time to type this much crap? Try going outside, or even talk to a girl. Or in ur case, talk to a guy. Your a ******.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
I play a really good fox and I thought I knew something about him. Well at least until i read all of this. This has helped me out just by reading it. (I am 100% sure that it has helped). For this, I LOVE YOU Cunningkittsune. I will be sure and add you to my buddy list for further tips if you would let me.

Thank you!

Glide

Smash Ace
I would really like to see more detail about follow up attacks. I noticed a lot of detail on how to start your juggles and combos, but very little on the better ways to proceed from after those set ups.

I really like the guide though; definitively top notch; especially in the depth of description, and use of the different attacks. You're a credit to all Fox users, and smashers.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Alright, with the advent of the character-specific forums, hopefully I can get more input on the guide and what should be in its future updates according to educated Fox users. So it begins...

Thanks for your input, Glide. I will try to incorporate as many of the possible follow-ups for Fox's starters as possible (although I can't promise that it will be short; anyone who has seen some of my few posts here knows that I am in no way able to say things in a succinct manner). I will try to be as comprehensive as possible, though.

Heh, yeah, thanks for that e-mail, stiletto. The update is in the works right now, with the stuff in your e-mail slated to be added, as well as a section for Fox's HRC and BtT (yeah, yeah, I know, but not every Fox player is tourney-calibur. I think...). Oh yeah, and the follow-ups will be in there, too, Glide. :)

Thanks for the input, guys. Keep it coming!

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
There is a infinite stalling trick thats really hard to do. Basically you grab the ledge, press back to fall from the ledge, then do Fox Fire. If you did it right you will grab the ledge almost immediately after the start up and you will still be invincible from holding the ledge. It's hard to do for a whole match, and it can be counter if the opponent can somehow grab the ledge (although it's near impossible to time). Also most tournies ban this sort of thing, at least for means of stalling. But I figured you should add it in just because you want everything in there.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Ah, yes, I've noticed that little trick, suicide. I sometimes do it for fun during throw-away or casual matches, but a use for it as an infinite stalling tactic? That is quite interesting; I never thought of that. Yeah, I may as well stick that in there, too, even though the tourney Fox probably is prohibited from doing it or wouldn't want to (I personally wouldn't; too much effort to learn, it seems, and why would you want to stall when Fox has so many fun things he can do to his opponents?). You're right, though, I do want this guide to be as comprehensive as possible, so in it goes. Thanks.

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
Well, say you play jigglypuff. That's like a 10 to 1 odds (maybe less) you're gonna be able to win by killing her evertime, assuming she's decent and can at least upthrow to rest. Your best bet is to try to go for that first kill by laser spamming. Once you get ahead a life you stall the match until time expires, which in a tourny match it would be there. And it's not that hard to learn. It took me one day and I can do it near perfectly.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
Hmmm... All valid points, suicide. I was viewing the technique from my own play style and experience with Fox, though. I just don't like rather situational tactics, but I guess that is a use for it nevertheless. At this point in time, I wouldn't bother to teach myself this tactic, not when I've got the muscle memory to do all of Fox's more aggressive tactics. Lately, I seem to be playing faster than I ever have before, complete with control stick waveshines. Yeah, don't ask; it works for me, even though my controller is probably crying out for mercy if it could, considering that I also short-hop with the stick... Oh, well. I don't prefer to stall out matches very frequently, but if I would choose to, I would simply abuse Fox's foot speed and pull off a few SHLs and cheap shots whenever I could. God, I love speed... But I hate the lack of Temple in the tourney stage set. :(

the_suicide_fox

Smash Champion
True that. I'd never actually use it either. Maybe a few times in a match as a sort of mind game to return from the ledge. But IMO stalling = cheap. I would use it against a few certain players who I know would stall the match first chance they got :chuckle:

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Very interesting technique Suicide... I dont see Fox asx the type of character you would need to stall with... and if you did, you could just rely on your speed.

I was able to do the technique without much trouble... but when I turned to computer to attack mode (I was practicing in training mode) it would just hit me while i was firefoxing. When I did it as fast as I could, I was able to "withstand" some attacks, but it was hard to keep going for over 5 seconds. :o I suppose I just need more practice.

I'd guess that any character with a rapid attack could easily knock you out of the air. Unless you could maintain your invinciblity during the firefox, I think it could be easily stopped.

It could be a great mind game though...

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
You'd be better off just dropping off the ledge and grabbing it again it's far easier to repeat over and over and gives almost complete invinciblity. Sheik can do it perfectly though...

RockCrock

Smash Champion
Did you try it Qwester?

The point of the the FireFox is to prevent edge-hoging.

"dropping off the ledge and grabbing it again" would give your opponent a chance to edge-hog. Whereas when you use FireFox, the Fire emitting from Fox...... burns the enemy and prevents them from grabing the ledge.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
I know that you all may already know this but does anyone ever drill kick, L-cancel to an upsmash? Oh and another strat I like to use is kinda like a combo if used perfectly. (short-hop, drill kick, grab, up throw and as soon as you throw them, hit them with yet another drill kick and repeat if it is opportune) It may already be know but I thought I would throw it out there anyway.

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
Not against human competition, but it seemed to work against a level 5 CPU (6 was too much though)
Edge hogging isn't the problem, it's people hitting you further out. Remember you've always got the shine. Ledge hop to Shine.. you'll still fall onto the edge again and retain invinciblity until just before you grab the edge again.

I'm not really convinced either of these work too effectivly though, you'd be better off running and blaster spamming even against a rest happy Jiggs.

josh15162003

Smash Journeyman
I hardly ever run away and blaster spam because I think it is cheap and there are other options that are much better. I will SHL if it is opportune though.

CunningKitsune

Smash Ace
josh15162003: Yeah, sometimes I use those combos, but I'm starting to work in shuffled sex kicks to waveshine to up-smash more into my game, especially since I moved to short-hopping with X/Y. Gotta love that consistency. Anyways, those two combos you mentioned are pretty viable, but be aware that many characters have jabs and tilts fast enough to come out right after the Drill Kick and outpace your grab or up-smash. If I were to do either of those combos, I would tack on a quick Jab after the L-cancel to stop any means of my foe's counterattacking in time, and then proceed from there. I don't particularly like the Drill Kick to up-throw to Drill Kick, etc. series myself, being more of an up-throw to up-aerial Fox, but whatever works for you, do it, I say.

I also don't consider blaster spamming and running away "cheap" or "cowardly" in any way. When I think of that, I think of one thing: mind games. Anything to exasperate my foe and make him possibly put his anger into the game and act rashly, anything to force him into a position he doesn't want to be in. Granted, I will not always resort to this tactic, but I am willing to do so if the situation warrants it. The SHL can also be used as a means of pestering your foe, if anything else, which is a great plus for Fox's control game.

On a side note: The next update is coming up... Lots of good stuff planned for that, I promise you.

On a further side note: Don't toy with me, 311... :mad: Heh.

Flarefox

Smash Ace
Wow! Incredible work CunningKitsune! I just love the in-depth observation. I can't wait to read the updated version of your guide.:) Maybe you could go further into strategies by explaining how fox should compete against specific characters (if you have the time). That would make the update even more complete.:D

Das_Lynx

Smash Rookie
Great work at compiling all of this together. Just some things about europe version in case someone cares:
- shine deas about 2-3%
- Marth falls over from shine

Man, I need to get my hands on the real version, just to get those Marths...
Anyway, great job!

HoChiMinhTrail

Smash Master
Ican defeat Ken and Mike in 60 seconds, using my new theories, its just a Husky SLice

Get ready, for some knowledge is about to be dropped upon you.......

What we need is some more Link players. Link is low tier because his style of fighting has not yet been mastered. U must be swift.....swift like the mandibles of a squid. U must continuse to fall back and lay traps for your foe, and fight only wheen there is a good chance of success, in doing so u will become the Cong....the vietcong.

We fight on our ground and for our land, this is our land and we will defend it to the last man. Vo Ngyen Giap will make the french and american pigs pay for every step they take in the motherland.

Also like Bruce Lee's study on Kung-Fu, i have revolutionized the style of fighting with link. U cannot follow a specific combination of smashes and combos like the rest of the characters require, u must flow like the water, the water is like dough, u have to mold it in ur image and make it into a weapon, a weapon like clayface does in batman, u must mold urself iinto an impregnable steel ball, with holes in it that shoot stinging foam into peoples eyes. In this way u will be victourious.

Dont take on the odds, the Germans tried this and look what happened, the world crushed them, u must be like the Jews, and strike first, kill those Syrians and Egyptians fore upon thee ur hopes will rest.

that is all for now,, and just remember

Watch out FrO hes coming for you!!

DienBienPhu (Roy Valle) he will be eliminating all challengers at the Cook county tournament later this month.

he will be destroying them with a vengence.

WHAT ABOUT THE STINGING FOAM CunningKitsune WHAT ABOUT THE fREAKIN STINGING FOAM!!!!!!!!!!

u wont see it coming,

ill be like the conquistador from Guadalupe,

(o..o='')

Palm............

Qwester

BRoomer
BRoomer
HoChiMinhTrail: That's nice... too bad none of it has anything to do with melee.

Das_Lynx: There's no change in the properties of Fox's d-throw in the PAL version, a (full) list of the changes can be found here

Top Bottom