• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create your DLC likeliness chart!

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Nintendo owned IP, new IP, large amount of representation in Smash Bros, his creator wants to make a W101 sequel, exposure in Smash Bros would help boost sales of W101 franchise.

I wouldn't go so far as to say he has a 50/50 chance, but he's got a better shot then most characters.
But you act like promotion is the biggest factor here. It's never been the biggest factor, and only once (:roymelee:) has it ever been a factor at all. I'm not saying Wonder Red doesn't have a chance...but it doesn't seem like a very significant one.

Also, I do think recent news raises the odds of a Rhythm Heaven character being DLC...but it's far from a lock, and we don't know which Rhythm Heaven character. Remember, the entire part of the Gematsu leak that included the Chorus Kids is still shaky at best.

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
You also forgot to put uniqueness as a factor too.

Nintendo owned IP
This is obvious, but it is in no way is a close to a factor in helping Wonder Red's chances much.
That just makes him a viable candidate.

If it was a decently successful new IP like Xenoblade, then yeah it would help Wonder Red. But the IP bombed when it's first game came out, significantly hurting Red's chances.

large amount of representation in Smash Bros
exposure in Smash Bros would help boost sales of W101 franchise.
It's not large representation. To be exact, W101's only type of representation is with the relatively big set of trophies, but it's very unlikely that people would want to buy the game they are from. In most cases, people seem to be more inclined to trying the IP if they were a playable character in the roster.
Sometimes Assist Trophies have the same treatment (It varies depending on the character though), but that happens to people rarely.

his creator wants to make a W101 sequel
That's true, but unless that sequel actually is announced (Like I said with Golden Sun and Nintendo Wars), I don't see Wonder Red having a good shot in making it in the game.

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
S: Rythym Heaven Rep - Leaks could have been correct due to new-found info in game files, and RH is a super popular game, with a Wii U v. coming out in a while. Might not come now, but might come later when RH U comes out.

A:
Wolf
Lucas

B:
4th Kirby Rep
Impa

C:
Metroid Rep
Ice Climbers
Squirtle
Ivysaur

D:
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Another Xeno Rep
Bayonetta
Inkling
Isaac
Pichu

E:
Waddle Dee (This wont be the 4th Kirby rep, I don't think so.)
Captain Toad (Wouldn't fit atmosphere, I think Sakurai knows we have too many Mario reps.)

F:
Rayman (Just no, he is long gone. They have probably considered it by now.)
Snake (Sorry man, but you ain't coming back.)
Roy or Chrom (Too many FE reps for a series that isn't as demanding as a lot of other series' reps, plus we already have a Marth clone we don't need another.)
Wonder-Red (Lol who tf is this McDonalds' hair kid and why does he want to join smash lol)
Young Link (Too many Links, took many projectiles.)
Krystal (Just quit, she isn't joining.)
Robo-guy (No.)

FFF:
Dr. Luigi

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
But you act like promotion is the biggest factor here. It's never been the biggest factor, and only once (:roymelee:) has it ever been a factor at all. I'm not saying Wonder Red doesn't have a chance...but it doesn't seem like a very significant one.
Well there's also uniqueness, moveset potential, etc. but that can be said for just about any character in existence as long as some imagination is applied. Also relevance.

The majority of the newcomer cast in this game are from very recent games. Every time a character was announced on the Smash Bros website it had a link encouraging you to check out where the character was from. Smash Bros is what Nintendo has been riding on for the past 2 years to save the Wii U. And this is DLC, not an initial roster of a game that people will buy regardless of what the characters are. You honestly don't think promotion matters at all? Lol

If it was a decently successful new IP like Xenoblade, then yeah it would help Wonder Red. But the IP bombed when it's first game came out, significantly hurting Red's chances.
Pffft, what? Wonderful 101 has been out for a fraction of the time of Xenoblade Chronicles, and it almost has half the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles. And Wonderful 101 was released on Wii U, at a time when the Wii U's sales were abysmal.

It's not large representation. To be exact, W101's only type of representation is with the relatively big set of trophies, but it's very unlikely that people would want to buy the game they are from. In most cases, people seem to be more inclined to trying the IP if they were a playable character in the roster.
Sometimes Assist Trophies have the same treatment (It varies depending on the character though), but that happens to people rarely.
7 trophies, the majority of which are tied to challenges, with 2 music tracks. Why does everyone forget about music? There is no other character driven franchise with that kind of content in Smash Bros.

And I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing as I am here. I'm talking about Wonder Red getting into the game as a playable character, which in turn would boost the interest and sales of the Wonderful 101 series. You seem to be thinking I'm arguing that the trophies will boost the sales. I'm not saying that in any way shape or form.

That's true, but unless that sequel actually is announced (Like I said with Golden Sun and Nintendo Wars), I don't see Wonder Red having a good shot in making it in the game.
The sequel is all but confirmed, Kamiya has stated that he has ideas that were scrapped for Wonderful 101 that he wants to do in Wonderful 102
Responses are in the quote, did that by accident and Smashboards isn't letting me edit them out.

Last edited:

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
S: Rythym Heaven Rep - Leaks could have been correct due to new-found info in game files, and RH is a super popular game, with a Wii U v. coming out in a while. Might not come now, but might come later when RH U comes out.

A:
Wolf
Lucas

B:
4th Kirby Rep
Impa

C:
Metroid Rep
Ice Climbers
Squirtle
Ivysaur

D:
Dixie Kong
K. Rool
Another Xeno Rep
Bayonetta
Inkling
Isaac
Pichu

E:
Waddle Dee (This wont be the 4th Kirby rep, I don't think so.)
Captain Toad (Wouldn't fit atmosphere, I think Sakurai knows we have too many Mario reps.)

F:
Rayman (Just no, he is long gone. They have probably considered it by now.)
Snake (Sorry man, but you ain't coming back.)
Roy or Chrom (Too many FE reps for a series that isn't as demanding as a lot of other series' reps, plus we already have a Marth clone we don't need another.)
Wonder-Red (Lol who tf is this McDonalds' hair kid and why does he want to join smash lol)
Young Link (Too many Links, took many projectiles.)
Krystal (Just quit, she isn't joining.)
Robo-guy (No.)

FFF:
Dr. Luigi
And who are the most likely Kirby and Metroid newcomers in your opinion?

Mazdamaxsti

Smash Lord
NNID
Mazdamaxsti
And who are the most likely Kirby and Metroid newcomers in your opinion?
Meh, I don't know exactly. I don't think waddledee/bandana dee will make it though, but maybe a memorable boss/enemy, they would be cool.

Metroid needs another rep, and Ridley as debunked. Like before, maybe another boss/other character.

Delzethin

Character Concept Creator
NNID
Delzethin
Well there's also uniqueness, moveset potential, etc. but that can be said for just about any character in existence as long as some imagination is applied. Also relevance.

The majority of the newcomer cast in this game are from very recent games. Every time a character was announced on the Smash Bros website it had a link encouraging you to check out where the character was from. Smash Bros is what Nintendo has been riding on for the past 2 years to save the Wii U. And this is DLC, not an initial roster of a game that people will buy regardless of what the characters are. You honestly don't think promotion matters at all? Lol
Was the laugh at the end really necessary?

Think of it this way. Have you seen the way fanbases have sprung up around the newcomers this time around? We've seen again and again that if a character is designed well enough and feels inspired enough, they gain fans. I've seen more art of the Villager, Little Mac, et al in the last year than I ever have.

So why shoehorn a character in for "promotional" reasons and risk it not working well when you can find a character who works so well in Smash's environment, whose moveset brings something unique and interesting to the series, and who has at least some relevancy and fans, and let their popularity grow naturally?

More people will buy a character who looks like a blast to play as than some simple tie-in to another game that just came out.

Meh, I don't know exactly. I don't think waddledee/bandana dee will make it though, but maybe a memorable boss/enemy, they would be cool.

Metroid needs another rep, and Ridley as debunked. Like before, maybe another boss/other character.
Considering Bandana Dee has had multiple important roles lately, I'd argue he's more memorable than any of the one-off bosses we've had in recent years...

And I don't see why Metroid "needing" another character requires reaching for someone. Sure, it's a pain that Ridley missed the cut again, but why does that mean we have to find another Metroid character to fill some arbitrary quota of representation? If there was someone else with a major role in the series lately that had moderately high moveset potential (and who wasn't a one-off...sorry, Rundas), I could see it, but as-is...

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue
Pffft, what? Wonderful 101 has been out for a fraction of the time of Xenoblade Chronicles, and it almost has half the sales of Xenoblade Chronicles. And Wonderful 101 was released on Wii U, at a time when the Wii U's sales were abysmal.
It still wouldn't excuse the fact it still did badly in all regions it was sold at, which has a negative effect on W101 getting character representation.

7 trophies, the majority of which are tied to challenges, with 2 music tracks. Why does everyone forget about music? There is no other character driven franchise with that kind of content in Smash Bros.
It's still pretty minimal content when comparing it to other franchises' ok representation such as Xenoblade and Earthbound.
It's not something to use as evidence as Rayman having trophies, which is arguably the one of the stranger occurrences that happened in a Smash Bros. title.

And I'm not sure you're talking about the same thing as I am here. I'm talking about Wonder Red getting into the game as a playable character, which in turn would boost the interest and sales of the Wonderful 101 series. You seem to be thinking I'm arguing that the trophies will boost the sales. I'm not saying that in any way shape or form.
This is not a factor that helps Wonder Red's chances then.
It's something that can pretty much apply to any character with no current playable representation.

The sequel is all but confirmed, Kamiya has stated that he has ideas that were scrapped for Wonderful 101 that he wants to do in Wonderful 102
The only way this could help Red's chances a bit is if there is a sequel being developed right now that Sakurai knows about when considering DLC.

Kenith

Overkill Sarcasm
The Fabulous Friendly Super Sparkle Train
NNID
RipoffmanXKTG
3DS FC
4210-4224-9442
Here is a rough idea of my DLC chart:

dlc likeliness.png

Note: Karate Joe = Any Rhythm Heaven character
My list is read from left to right.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
Super Likely:
Wolf

Awesome Chance:
Dixie Kong, King K. Rool, Lucas

Big Chance:
Captain Toad, Inkling

Could Happen:
Isaac, Impa, Ivysaur, Rhythm Heaven rep

Doesn't Seem Likely:
Squirtle, Snake, Rayman, Pichu, Roy

Everyone Else:
Everyone else
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
I may go and add a few more options, but these are most of the "talked about" options.

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

100%- Mewtwo
60%- Lucas, Wolf, Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong, Professor Layton
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers, Snake
25%- Young Link, Deku Link, and Captain Toad
20%- Monster Hunter and Xenoblade X character
15%- Agnes and Bayonetta
10% - Melia, Fiora, Bandanna Dee to Hades
7.5%- Style Savvy and Fossil Fighter
5%- Sceptile to Paper Mario
3%- Monita to K. Rool
1%- Geno to Muddy Mole
Updated now detailing a 3rd party character's real chances now.

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
With the recent Nintendo Direct (and also because I forgot to update this thread since a long time lol) I feel obliged to bump and update this thread. I mean, so much things changed with those Smash DLC announcement! First I want to congratulate those who put Lucas high in their chart, like S or A tier... I feel so stupid after putting him E tier and saying that he was overrated xD overall he was in B tier (though maybe he's actually higher/lower because I have not updated the general chart since a long time... >_>) which means we overall had faith in him but still had some reservation.

Anyway, those last days meant a lot for Smash DLC speculation, I mean:
> Lucas confirmed!
> Even more DLC characters confirmed! It's only a matter of who!
> Nintendo is directly asking fans who they want thanks to the official ballot!
> Thanks to Phil Spencer's tweet, Banjo-Kazooie are not quick F tier fodder anymore! :awesome:

Due to how things have potentially changed since the Direct, I'm asking to everyone to post a brand new chart, the old ones you have already posted no longer count! However, if you want to edit your chart instead of posting it again, or if your opinion on your chart didn't change, please still post again with a link to your previous post. Also, I'm adding a new tier, the SSS tier, for characters you're very confident will make in. Use this tier very wisely: if any character you put in this tier doesn't make in then you're going to feel like you were very, very wrong! :laugh:

Also once again, this is only related to the chances you feel each character has, so try to not let your bias dictate the tiers you're putting your favourite characters in!

And, here are the changes I'm going to do to my chart:

Upgraded:
Wolf: A > SSS
King K. Rool: D > S (!!)
Dixie Kong: C > A
Inkling: B > A
Bandana Dee: D > C
Isaac: D > C
Roy (Fire Emblem): E > D
Banjo-Kazooie: F > E
Ice Climbers: F > E

Reasoning for each character:
> Wolf: Nintendo listened to Smash fans who complained about losing Lucas, a character very possibly cut for a combination of time constraints and low priority. Wolf is easily on par with him for fan support, and I have no doubt he will be brought back as well. In fact, I think he's already worked on by Sakurai's team right now and development for both characters started at the same time, and he will be revealed at the same time as Stafox Wii U for an indirect promotion. I honestly would be shocked if he doesn't return once SSB DLC support stops and as I know other people are confident on his chances now he's pretty much the reason why I created this SSS tier.
> King K. Rool: what a huge jump... while he was previously held back due to the severe lack of "relevance" (i.e. no appearance in Retro Studios' DKC games and no downloadable title featuring him on the eShop), the release of the original DKC trilogy on the American Wii U eShop as well as the DKL trilogy on the 3DS eShop and Donkey Kong 64 as one of the first N64 games on the Wii U VC (making the title available in the VC for the first time ever) help him a lot in the "relevance" department, as anyone can easily enjoy the games he stars in now. The official Smash ballot helps him a lot as well considering he's pretty much the most hyped first-party potential newcomer who stands a chance (sorry Ridley). I don't think he's a shoo-in, but I have no doubt he's going to be among the top-tier candidates in the official ballot, and while it's mostly wishful thinking, I think he's the kind of character who's in Sakurai radar and was possibly planned but cut due to low priority (again, due to the lack of "relevance").
> Dixie Kong: she's possibly the most notable Nintendo female not currently in Smash and is widely seen as a very noteworthy Nintendo character (star power-wise), enough to be in Smash Bros., but she's not as hyped as King K. Rool. Actually "K. Rool VS Dixie" is quite a controversial debate among Donkey Kong fans, at least when it is not solved with the easy solution of "Why not both?" and I could totally see Sakurai using it as well in order to please all the DK fans.
> Inkling: this game is seriously getting special treatment compared to most other new IPs created by Nintendo (like say, Codename S.T.E.A.M.), they're basically treating it like it's already one of their established flagship franchises, even giving them unique amiibos based on characters from the game. Putting an Inkling in Smash is basically the last thing they need to do. Also... fan support? Check. However, this game may not be the expected success after all, thus preventing me to put Inkling in S tier.
> Bandana Dee: I honestly have no idea about this guy's chances... though I feel he deserves more than I gave him credit for.
> Isaac: the ballot helps him a lot considering he's a fairly requested character from fans and the AT removal may mean something... plus Nintendo seems to care about the series at least to some extent after putting the GBA Golden Sun games on the Wii U VC. On the other hand he's fairly obscure to the general audience as Golden Sun didn't really stand the test of time as one of Nintendo's flagship series, otherwise I think it would have at least more contents than what it currently has in SSB4 (nothing on 3DS, two songs on Wii U).
> Roy (Fire Emblem): Lucas being confirmed raises his chances I think, but while he does have a strong following and a Fire Emblem Awakening DLC directly refers to his playable status in Melee, with the fact another character got his name and we got another Marth clone with the power distribution on the sword as the main difference from him, I'm not confident that Sakurai will consider bringing Roy back.
> Banjo-Kazooie: we all thought it was downright impossible because "muh Microsoft", and then Lucas Phil Spencer's tweet came out of nowhere to say that he would be okay with that. However, Nintendo and Microsoft are still competitors after all, and for this to happen, they'd need to approach each other and find an agreement that would benefit both companies; also fans would widely show their interest in a such project (though this one is not much of a problem as the duo was often mentioned as a very wanted "impossible" character and Phil's tweet generated a lot of positive reactions). Not very likely to happen if you ask me.
> Ice Climbers: Lucas returning back proves that Nintendo cares about people who miss characters from previous games, and this duo is with no doubt the most missed characters from Brawl. However, Sakurai already explained why they were excluded and to bring them back, him and his team need to either find a way to make them properly work on "old" 3DS, make them system-exclusive, or completely rework their gimmick. None of which I think are likely, but I really feel bad about considering the possibility as "almost impossible".

Downgraded:
Rayman: C > D
Bayonetta: D > F
Tetris Block: E > F

Reasoning for each character:
> Rayman: I want to believe he's likely, but my confidence on his chances is slowly going down, I think D tier is perfect for him. While he has a lot of support and is a very recognizable character among gamers, and the trophy cameo (and, by extension, the Artsy Omni leak) made his fanbase much more vocal than before, there's the problem that he's actually obscure in Japan. And you know, obscure + third-party = unlikely.
> Bayonetta: I used to think she was a possibility, due to the critical acclaim her game got and the fact Nintendo financed Bayonetta 2's development and published it, meaning that she's kind of seen as a Nintendo character despite not being one. But that doesn't change the fact that she's still technically not a Nintendo character and she really doesn't have the star power to not feel underwhelming as a third-party character choice alongside Mega Man, Sonic and Pac-Man. Maybe we will get a Mii costume based on her if she's lucky.
> Tetris Block: I used to think it would have been a far-fetched but amazing idea that could maybe have been considered by Sakurai if he acknowledges Tetris' importance towards Nintendo's history (I honestly think he does) AND thought about giving the series a playable character in Smash (something I'm less confident about, then again after Wii Fit Trainer...) The Smash ballot however is the nail in the coffin. No one will vote for this idea. No one. And it's a shame because it would be awesome.

Added:
> Codename S.T.E.A.M. character in E tier
> Any indie third-party in F tier
> Conker in F tier
> Magikarp in F tier
> Tharja in F tier

Reasoning:
I don't think a Codename S.T.E.A.M. character is likely at all and that's why I put the concept in E tier; the IP doesn't look like it's going to be a flagship Nintendo franchise and it is outclassed by Fire Emblem for a tactical made by IS anyway. Otherwise yeah it's only F tier fodder, but oh well. I don't think any indie character has a realistic shot, they just don't have enough star power as third-party choices in Smash... no seriously, I can't believe I put Shovel Knight in D tier in my initial list :glare: I added Conker because after the miraculous upgrade I gave to Banjo-Kazooie I felt I had to put another Rare-owned character in this tier instead and he's perfect for the role because if Nintendo gets the rights to use a Rare character in Smash then it's definitely not going to be him. On the other hand Magikarp and Tharja are just here for the lulz. I actually had hope that we would get Magikarp as a joke DLC character alongside Mewtwo, but it was mostly a pipe dream xD

Removed:
> Lucas (confirmed)

Last edited:

RobinOnDrugs

Your Friendly Neighborhood Scavenger
Here's my chart based on what had happened so far.

A Tier:
Wolf
K. Rool
B Tier:
Isaac
Snake
Banjo & Kazooie
Rayman
C Tier:
Shovel Knight
Bayonetta
D Tier:
Young Link
Ice Climbers
E Tier:
Any character that's already in the game as either an assist trophy or a stage boss.

I decided to base my list mostly on characters that have been requested by most people, and then some.

Raheem The Dream

Banned via Warnings
NNID
RaheemTheDream28
3DS FC
5043-2968-5730
Icon_Izuna.png Icon_Shino.png Icon_Shizune.png My personal DLC likeliness of characters are Izuna, Shino and Shizune from Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja 1 & 2 returns series franchise by ATLUS, Team NINJA Studio & Team SUCCESS!

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
View attachment 46097 View attachment 46100 View attachment 46101 My personal DLC likeliness of characters are Izuna, Shino and Shizune from Izuna: Legend of the Unemployed Ninja 1 & 2 returns series franchise by ATLUS, Team NINJA Studio & Team SUCCESS!
Not sure if I understand the point of your post... did you understand how to make a likeliness chart? Also, how likely do you think those characters are?

Even though I think myself those have no chance at all.

CaptainAmerica

Smash Master
NNID
TomOfHyrule
Ok, I'll retry after the new info. Don't think there are too many characters that they will let in though.

S:
Wolf.
Only Wolf. He's got great chances due to Lucas getting in. They're very similar - Japan has Lucas first, Wolf second in their list of wants, America is the reverse. It's all too perfect that they'd announce him at E3 for a release to coincide with StarFoxU.

A:
King. K Rool

I'm switching my old list around a bit, and putting him here alone now. With the ballot opened, I feel like his chances shot up. Note that he's got one of the largest threads in the character discussion, and he's requested worldwide. I really can't wait for some Croc action!

B:
Isaac, (Captain) Toad, [Rhythm Heaven something], Inkling

Isaac's got a lot going for him, but Nintendo's ignored the franchise for a bit. He does have a decent fanbase though, but it's been overshadowed by the introduction of Fire Emblem: Awakening and Xenoblade. With the poll, I feel like his chances are growing. Toad's also going strong, and the regular Toad is the only non-smash amiibo so far. He's deonfirmed as appearing as part of Peach's moveset (see below), but Captain Toad would basically be the same thing for those unfamiliar with the game. As for Rhythm heaven, I can see something getting in due to the original leaks, which are more true than not, but there's no real unifying character here. Now if we were considering assist trophies or stages...I'd put that much higher. The inklings are a special case - their game isn't even out yet, but it is a brand new Nintendo IP, and kinda stole the show at E3 last year. Plus, they're getting amiibos before Smash even has all of theirs announced.

C:
[Some 'deconfirmed' character]

Yeah, they've been deconfirmed, and we know that Sakurai has never changed his mind and gone back on his word, or put two characters in the same game in different costumes or roles. [/sarcasm] With that in mind, I don't see why it's so inconceivable that an assist trophy like Waluigi, Midna, or Ghirahim could be promoted to playable, or that a certain purple pterosaur that most people have vitriolic opinions of could get off of his one stage. All of them can be patched to stop showing up in their current role if they are promoted, or replaced with other assist characters. Or Alfonso, honestly ("Leave it to me!"). Point is, they were heavily requested enough to get thrown a bone before, why not finish the job? Now those four specifically are the ones with great chances since they have huge fanbases of their own, and their series' have gotten neglected quite a bit in this game (assuming we clump Waluigi with Wario). Laugh if you want, but I still think that it's possible.

D:
[A new third party], Dixie, Ice Climbers

Yes, with the poll, this should be higher, but I still don't know how likely it would be. Nintendo's still got loads of their own characters to put in - remember the tagline for the Smash Bros. series is "A Battle between Nintendo's All-Stars!"? I do think there are some who've got great chances because of the voting - I hear Snake, Banjo/Kazooie, Shovel Knight, Bayonetta, and Shantae thrown around A LOT. I'll see, but I've always been a bit biased against guest characters in any game. As for the other two, I feel like Dixie has potential, but the voting is severely upping Rool's chances, so it might be hurting her a bit. If people were so anti 'this series is overrepped!' and anti 'OMG such a clone!', they may be nervous to put in another Diddy-like chimp. Particularly if they can give DK some love with a huge crocodile. Ice climbers are a huge request, but 3DS issues. Now I don't know what the processing power of the 3DS is that it can't handle it when the GCN could, but the new 3DS is probably ok. Besides, if they took the controllability out of the second climber, then they would be as complex as RosaLuma and could function well.

E:
Roy, Popo (solo), Krystal, Daisy

While Roy has a huge fanbase, I think he's got the stigma of being a clone from Melee. Fire Emblem got so much love already this game since Lucina was split from Marth. Since the major arguments against the game at the beginning were in relation to overrepresenting certain series and the abundance of clones, Nintendo may be hesitant to put Roy in since he falls under both categories. In Melee, he was a clone. Just like Ganondorf was a Falcon clone, and Young Link was a Link clone. Also, His game was not amazingly popular, so most of his fanbase sees him as he was in Melee. We've got Marth, we've got a Marth clone, and we've got a dude with a flaming sword, so Nintendo may not want to rehash things - that's why we didn't get Chrom. Now if they made an Alph-esque form for Ike or Marth... that rockets his chances up. And they don't even need the announcer to rerecord a name. Solo Popo is probably unlikely since the main par of the IC's is their partnership. I'd make a cheap AI version of Nana before I see Popo alone. Krystal is also falling to the same problems Dixie is - She's female so plus points there, but she's not getting as much fanpower as the series villain, doubly so in Krystal's case, since Wolf was a character first. As for Daisy, she's got a lot against her. I think she's got nothing but getting a true alternate from Peach to get in, and hope she can get that.

F:
Young Link, Pichu, Ivysaur, Squirtle

The former two are melee clones, one of which was fully replaced by a different Toon clone, the other of whom was a joke from the beginning. I think both are unlikely as anything more than alternates. The other two Pokémon got the shaft since Charizard took over solo, and I don't know if they'll see the light of day again. There are too many arguments of "OMG too much Pokémon! Too much Genwunner!" for them to get anything more than be a Pokéball DLC, and even that's pushing it. Sad, because I loved Squirtle.

Last edited:

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
I can't really make another DLC chart, I'm fully confident we'll get plenty of characters/stages/costumes/everything after Mewtwo, Nintendo will try to get as much out of Smash as they can. But there's almost nothing to point to which characters have the best chances, we have no precedence for this. We know fan demand is being taken into account, but by how much? Will they go back and finish characters they worked on previously? How many third party characters will they consider? (Nintendo reassuring people they can vote for 3rd parties says to me that we'll get at least one). I don't know anymore, I live in a world where Banjo and Kazooie is more likely then Ridley, everything has changed and I can't predict any of it :p

Except Wolf. Wolf is coming, I'm 100% sure of that.

I dont even remember making a list but apparently I have posted :/

SS tier- Wolf
his relevance and popularity are off the charts. I would be confused if nintendo didnt take this chance.

A tier-
K rool Isaac
Both seem to be very popular. While Isaac is low on relevance, he has moveset potential, something I see Sakurai liking.

B tier- Dixie Kong, Captain Toad
Dixie is less popular or "unique" but has was in Tropical freeze. Was planned for Brawl.
Toad is a mario character and naturally is well known and beloved. would make a lot of money.

C tier- Wonder red, Inkling
red-Okay this one is bias on my part but he isnt terribly obscure and is ridiculously unique.
Inkling- new and exciting. moveset potential and relevance.

D tier-
Bandana dee, Ivysaur, Squirtle
sakurai didnt make dee cool.
stupid double bundle hurts the pokes chances.

F+ tier
Ridley, Roy
not happening.

F tier- everyone else
3rd parties reallly arent happening. that includes indies. especially ones not released in Japan.
ice climbers are out.
etc etc.

Maxilian

Smash Ace
I dont even remember making a list but apparently I have posted :/

SS tier- Wolf
his relevance and popularity are off the charts. I would be confused if nintendo didnt take this chance.

A tier-
K rool Isaac
Both seem to be very popular. While Isaac is low on relevance, he has moveset potential, something I see Sakurai liking.

B tier- Dixie Kong, Captain Toad
Dixie is less popular or "unique" but has was in Tropical freeze. Was planned for Brawl.
Toad is a mario character and naturally is well known and beloved. would make a lot of money.

C tier- Wonder red, Inkling
red-Okay this one is bias on my part but he isnt terribly obscure and is ridiculously unique.
Inkling- new and exciting. moveset potential and relevance.

D tier-
Bandana dee, Ivysaur, Squirtle
sakurai didnt make dee cool.
stupid double bundle hurts the pokes chances.

F+ tier
Ridley, Roy
not happening.

F tier- everyone else
3rd parties reallly arent happening. that includes indies. especially ones not released in Japan.
ice climbers are out.
etc etc.
Isn't Ridley as popular as King K. Rool and Isaac?

Inkling is a character that i like, mostly because i find the desing pretty cool...

Ivysaur, i want you back... but we all know that you won't come back :drsad:

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Pyrosphere

I want ivy back too
Well... i know, but he's in the game, something that most character don't have, also his model have more details than a mere AT, so he got part of the work done and we already have Duck Hunt Dog in the back of a stage and as a playable character (the same with Toon Link, also yeah, i understand that they are not as relevant to the scenario as Ridley)

SmilingMad

Smash Lord
So you guys think that Shovel Knight is not happening?
Shovel Knight is unheard of outside of the Western fanbase, unless you count the Eastern fanbase that looked at our votes and started wondering who the hell this guy actually is. He's a 3rd party character with only a single game.
In my opinion, it's unlikely. Popularity isn't everything.

MainJPW

M.T.A
SS tier- Wolf
I'm completely sure Nintendo/Sakurai has already taken the chance, Wolf is just as easy to port over as Lucas is + having a new game. There's no reason to believe he isn't being worked on as we speak.

Diddy Kong

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-1597-979602774
Most likely not yeah. Shovel Knight is an internet fad like Shrek at the moment... If they'll do another guest character, it'll most likely be Snake again or the highly-awaited, never-before-possible Banjo-Kazooie.

Also, where's Impa?

Maxilian

Smash Ace
Most likely not yeah. Shovel Knight is an internet fad like Shrek at the moment... If they'll do another guest character, it'll most likely be Snake again or the highly-awaited, never-before-possible Banjo-Kazooie.
Yeah, i personally thinks that Rayman have a bigger chance that Banjo, but he's still a possibility:dr^_^:

Also, where's Impa?
Just behind Ghirahim:drohyou:
jk
(do you expect her in her HW's looks?)

Godzillathewonderdog

Smash Master
S: Wolf +A: K. Rool A: Rayman, Inkling, Isaac B: Dixie Kong, Snake C: Waddle Dee, Roy D: Captain Toad, Paper Mario, Wonder Red E: Solo Ice Climber, Impa, Krystal

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
S Tier
Wolf
K. Rool

A Tier
Isaac
Roy (Revamped as a Semi Clone, different from Marth and Lucina)
Rayman

B Tier
Snake
Dixie
Captain Toad

C Tier
Banjo & Kazooie
Shovel Knight
Impa
Bandanna Dee
Krystal

D Tier
Young Link
Squirtle
Ivysaur

F Tier
Chrom
Ridley

lol no Tier
Goku
Shrek
Spongbob (Yes, I have seen this before)

- You guys are massively overlooking Roy given that he's massively popular in Japan and has a strong fan base in the West. Not only that but your assuming he would play exactly like he did in Melee which he doesn't have to (i.e. Falco and Ganondorf getting revamped from Melee to Brawl). He can keep his Neutral B (not used by Marth anymore) and his counter though.

- As much as I don't like to say this, Young Link's chances of being DLC are really low given he doesn't have a strong following in the fanbase.

- K. Rool needs to get in instead of Dixie. He's much more unique than she would be and much more popular as well. Not only that but he would help villain representation since it's fairly low in the current roster.

- Isaac would be really hype as a newcomer in Smash and he's also very popular in the fanbase so he has a good chance of getting in. Golden Sun having a rep in the series is long overdue.

- I would love for Snake to return but i'm really iffy at his current situation. Personally, i'd have him over every third part character.

- Banjo also seems iffy given his titles are made for Microsoft consoles and not Nintendo ones so it would be weird for him to be in the game.

- Chrom had potential in the initial pre-roster stage but when Robin and Lucina got in over him, he was pretty much obsolete. We don't need 3 characters to represent 1 game of one franchise let alone another blue haired FE character.

- Sakurai doesn't want Ridley in. He's not getting in. Maybe they'll be a solution to his "height problem" in SSB5 though right now Sakurai has zero interest in bringing him in.

- Goku, Shrek, and Spongebob will never get in. Sorry folks.

Rockaphin

Smash Champion
NNID
Rockaphin
3DS FC
2595-0113-8473
SSS:
Wolf

S:
King K. Rool, RH character

A:
Popo, Bandana Dee, Dixie Kong

B:
Paper Mario, Daisy, Krystal, Rayman, Captain Toad, Issac, Inkling, Wonder Red

C:
Black Shadow, Snake, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Vaati, Impa, Medusa

D:
Roy, Pichu, Porky, Chrom, Zero, Waluigi, Sceptile, Geno, Chibi-Robo

E:
Ryu(Street Fighter), Young Link, Banjo, Tharja

F:
Shrek, Spongebob

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
- You guys are massively overlooking Roy given that he's massively popular in Japan and has a strong fan base in the West. Not only that but your assuming he would play exactly like he did in Melee which he doesn't have to (i.e. Falco and Ganondorf getting revamped from Melee to Brawl). He can keep his Neutral B (not used by Marth anymore) and his counter though.
Adding onto this, Roy would be much easier to make then just about any other possible DLC character. Highly Requested+Easy to Make=Profit

dezeray112

Smash Hero
S Tier: Wolf, (probably Isaac as well.)
A Tier: Isaac, King K Rool
B Tier: Inkling, Dixie Kong, Chorus Kids
C Tier: Wonder Red, Impa, Black Shadow, Krystal, Fiora, Mach Rider.
D Tier: Pichu, Squirtle, Ivysaur
E Tier: Young Link

Ura

Smash Legend
Switch FC
SW-2772-0149-6703
Adding onto this, Roy would be much easier to make then just about any other possible DLC character. Highly Requested+Easy to Make=Profit
Pretty much this. All you need to do is make him a semi clone by tweaking his moveset and he's unique plus very requested in the fanbase. I would be really hyped if he was revealed at E3 along with Wolf.

Troykv

Smash Master
Meta Knight (SSS) Tier: Wolf

S Tier: K. Rool

A Tier: Isaac

B Tier: Dixie Kong, Bandana Dee, Roy (Fire Emblem)

C Tier: Wonder Red

D Tier: Squirtle, Ivysaur

E Tier: Pichu

F Tier: Young (Child) Link (Because spiritual succesor like the older Link)

Martingale

Smash Apprentice
S: Wolf, K. Rool
A: Professor Layton, Dixie Kong, Inkling, Paper Mario
B: Isaac, Krystal, Bandana Dee
C: Daisy, Captain Toad, Banjo Kazooie, Skull Kid, Yo-Kai Jibanyan, Roy
D: Shovel Knight, Shantae, Pichu/another Pokemon Rep, Abraham Lincoln, Wonder Red, Chibi Robo, Bayonetta
E: Ice Climbers, Chorus Kids, Ridley, Waluigi, Young Link, Rayman, Snake, and most other suggestions
Never: Goku, Shrek, SpongeBob, Gabe Newell, Reggie, Phoneix Wright, Fiora

Alright, my tiers probably look unusual compared to some. I'll try justify it:

-S is self-explanatory. K. Rool and Wolf. That'll do pig, that'll do. Popular in the polls, and not totally obscure. K. Rool is S-minus really; but that's getting technical.

-A is weird. Because of Layton. 7-game DS-exclusive character; popular in Japan and with the female demographic (which is what Nintendo want to play Smash) and pretty ubiquitous if you know the DS, he is a dark horse, and though technically third party, Level-5 and NoJ are on good terms. I might be a bit optimistic, but his chances are very real unlike other third parties.
The others are pretty self-explanatory. Inkling is new IP Nintendo will want to push, Dixie and Paper Mario are old fan faves which could easily be implemented with lively unique movesets.

-B includes Isaac (popular, but relevancy is an issue), Krystal for more female reps but lower priority, Bandana Dee for Sakurai. Probably a bit too high for Bandana Dee, B-minus at best.

-C is borderline cult, but still mainstream enough. Daisy's here because of poor move possibilities but a slim chance, same with Toad (sideline chars in Mario universe, stuffing the party games!). Banjo-Kazooie would be a fight to achieve, and I'm not sure his popularity has been sustained. Skull Kid would be interesting, but is he not already in the game? I can't recall currently. Yo-Kai Jibanyan is now added in C tier, as it has quite an impressive following in Japan and with Yo-Kai Watch coming to the West, it might spur a few votes over here. Roy revised to C as his popularity has wavered as the poll continues.

-D is cult following, mostly third parties (Pokemon is technically third party published by Nintendo, by the by.). Shovel Knight, Bayonetta and Shantae are cult-ish obviously. Wonderful101, Codename Steam and whatever Chibi Robo is from are probably a bit too obscure to deserve a char slot.

-I'll be brief with E: It's technical limitations, duplicate characters, and legal nightmares. Ubisoft and Nintendo are far from pally right now, and Snake is on shaky ground thanks to the current Kojima debacle. Young Link really can't be justified too far with two other Links already.

-Never: Phoenix Wright and Fiora are here because they're popular votes and... Shouldn't be. I cry when folk vote Wright. Wright has his place in Marvel v Capcom, and that's where he stays. I can't see him implemented in smash at all. Fiora is a hyper-obscure character in relatively new IP; Shulk deserves a place but a second Xenoblade character is (and one must read this in Shulk's voice) really pushing it.

Yeah, mine is probably all over the place. But who knows?

Edit: Included Yo-Kai Jibanyan in C, moved Roy to C.

Last edited:

Geno Boost

Smash Master
S: king k. rool:wolf:
A::popo:Isaac
B:Banjo-kazooie, impa
C:Geno, paper mario, inkling:roypm:dixie kong, rythem heaven rep, Ray MK
D:Mach rider, rayman, captian toad, wonder red, bandana dee, krystal, ninten, exitebike, chibi-robo
E:shovel knight, shantae:snake:Black shadow, captian rainbow, bomberman, layton:squirtle::ivysaur::pichumelee::younglinkmelee::kirby64:sceptile, grovyle (from PMD):pt:lip, daisy, ballon fighter, donkey kong jr.
F:any assist trophy and pokeball and anime and manga character and a 2nd character from a 3rd party company and sora

Last edited:

BluePikmin11

NNID
blue

100%- Mewtwo and Lucas
75%- Wolf
60%- Chorus Kids and Dixie Kong
50%- (Can go either way)- Inklings, Ice Climbers
35%- King K. Rool
15%- Wonder Red, Krystal, Roy, Captain Toad, Young Link, Cross, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, and Paper Mario
10%- FE14 Avatar, Pichu, Hades, Melia, Fiora, New Pokemon Character, Impa, Daisy, and Lip
5%- Squirtle and Ivysaur
3%- Andy, Chibi Robo, Style Savvy, Fossil Fighter, Ray MK
2%- Monita, Vince, Medusa, Cranky Kong, Masked Man
1%- Mach Rider, Excitebiker, Bubbles, Muddy Mole, Mike Jones
Updated with popularity added as a factor now, will update with 3rd parties later.
Give me some more suggestions please! I think I'm missing some here.

Last edited:

ELITEWarri0r115

Smash Ace
S (really want so bad)-Roy, Geno
A (really want)-K. Rool, Ice Climbers, Fiora
B (want)-Young Link, Pichu, Pheonix Wright (he is a capcom character)
C (ok with)-Knuckles, Hades, Ivysuar
D (sure, why not)-Vaati, Toon zelda/Tetra, Professor Layton, chrom
F (Don't want)-Dixie Kong, Rayman, bayonetta, ridley, Krystal, Viewtiful Joe, Wonder Red, Lip, Match Rider, Shantae, Isaac, Chibi Robo, Captain Toad, Wolf, skull kid, bandana dee, Impa, Inkling, Chorus Kids, & Slippy.

Not trying to hurt feelings

Last edited:
Top Bottom