• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create your DLC likeliness chart!

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Now, I do agree with Fiora having a shot at being a DLC character due to the fact that Xenoblade is getting a port, and I would prefer her way more than Melia (if Melia is put in over Fiora, fanservice triumphs over significance yet again).
I agree with a lot of your points, but I just want to say that if you are referring to Melia as fan service due to any sort of gratuitous TNA or sexinessand not due to actual popularity, you are dead wrong.

Melia shows less skin then any other character in the game, even in her underwear or swimsuit outfits. This includes male characters, by the way (Reyn in particular likes to show off his abs, even in heavy armor.)

Melia is classy like that. Now Sharla on the other hand, she is all jiggle physics and short shorts. She's also everyone's least favorite character in the game. (She's alright though. I can't dislike anyone that heals with a rifle.)

D

Deleted member

I agree with a lot of your points, but I just want to say that if you are referring to Melia as fan service due to any sort of gratuitous TNA or sexinessand not due to actual popularity, you are dead wrong.

Melia shows less skin then any other character in the game, even in her underwear or swimsuit outfits. This includes male characters, by the way (Reyn in particular likes to show off his abs, even in heavy armor.)

Melia is classy like that. Now Sharla on the other hand, she is all jiggle physics and short shorts. She's also everyone's least favorite character in the game. (She's alright though. I can't dislike anyone that heals with a rifle.)
Wasn't referring to Melia being sexy as the reason, but more or less as Melia being the waifu of Xenoblade, where sometimes the appearance (you don't have to show a lot of skin to be loved) and mannerisms can steal the show from other characters.

So, I wanted to make that clear.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Wasn't referring to Melia being sexy as the reason, but more or less as Melia being the waifu of Xenoblade, where sometimes the appearance (you don't have to show a lot of skin to be loved) and mannerisms can steal the show from other characters.

So, I wanted to make that clear.
Yeah, I could see that, but also I think a character can be popular and liked due to their characterization and due to their usefulness in the the game without being a "waifu." A lot of Melia's popularity comes from her ability to blow up end game monsters, and a lot of it also comes from her character progression. Fiora is a more important character and SHOULD get in first, but I wouldn't say Melia is as popular as she is just because of (or even primarily because of) the whole "waifu" thing.

One thing that I think is kind of funny:

Melia (Spirit Summons), Fiora (Drones), Reyn (Auras), and Dunban (also Auras) could all replicate Shulk's stat changing gimmick easily. I actually think that the stat change works better for them then for Shulk actually, as Shulks monado arts were more about defensive abilities and enemy debuffs then about actual stat changes. (Fiora could change her entire party role with drones and Melia was actually the party's primary buff character.)

Fiora has a LOT of potential due to the mechon abilities, but it would also be nice to have a dagger/knife character. Sakurai doesn't like realistic weapons, which might be part of the reason we don't see those type of weapons. Crazy robot knives might be okay, though.

BluePikmin11

Akko is my dear daughter!
NNID
blue
Yeah, Melia isn't not close to being as "waifu" talked as Tharja and Krystal.
I have never seen those types of comments about Melia when I look in the Shulk thread and in the Xenoblade community in general.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Yeah, I could see that, but also I think a character can be popular and liked due to their characterization and due to their usefulness in the the game without being a "waifu." A lot of Melia's popularity comes from her ability to blow up end game monsters, and a lot of it also comes from her character progression. Fiora is a more important character and SHOULD get in first, but I wouldn't say Melia is as popular as she is just because of (or even primarily because of) the whole "waifu" thing.
Fair enough. But I'm never gonna play Xenoblade Chronicle anyway, so I'm gonna probably remain ignorant on how characters are viewed because I won't experience them firsthand, instead having to rely on general reactions. This isn't an insult, but rather my reality because I already explained this beforehand. And... I'm surprised that Melia doesn't get talked like that as much. I'm still trying to remember where I got the Melia "waifu" association from. Maybe it was in another part of this forum.

One thing that I think is kind of funny:

Melia (Spirit Summons), Fiora (Drones), Reyn (Auras), and Dunban (also Auras) could all replicate Shulk's stat changing gimmick easily. I actually think that the stat change works better for them then for Shulk actually, as Shulks monado arts were more about defensive abilities and enemy debuffs then about actual stat changes. (Fiora could change her entire party role with drones and Melia was actually the party's primary buff character.)

Fiora has a LOT of potential due to the mechon abilities, but it would also be nice to have a dagger/knife character. Sakurai doesn't like realistic weapons, which might be part of the reason we don't see those type of weapons. Crazy robot knives might be okay, though.
Oh, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117

Melia's story in a nutshell.

Things that happened to Melia in Xenoblade (MASSIVE SPOILERS):

She was tasked to take care of a dangerous monster (a Telethia) and the crew of guards that went with her all died in the process. She felt personally responsible for this (and felt she should contact their families.) She had to watch as Metal Face murdered her father. She became the Empress of her people even though she was never fully accepted by them since she was half Hom. The person that she thought of as a mother (her step mother) actually hated her and attempts to kill her. The majority of her race is transformed into mindless Telethia, many of whom she has to kill. Among them is her brother, whom she was very close with. Yup, she has to kill him. The man she is slowly falling in love with has his dead girlfriend come back from out of nowhere. She can't even hate her though, since she seems to genuinely like Fiora and can see that she makes Shulk happy. I'm sure I am forgetting a few things as well.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member

Ah, I see. Why, thank you guys.

I was then thinking about the Alice in Chains song "Last of My Kind" when I read Melia's backstory.

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
Yup, she's a really strong character. Enough Melia talk for now though, on to my quickly thrown together DLC chart.

Tier 1 - Wolf, Dixie
Tier 2 - Captain Toad, Lucas, Bandanna Dee
Tier 3 - Ivysaur, Squirtle, Impa, Inkling
Tier 4 - Roy, Isaac, Excitebiker
Tier 5 - K. Rool, Fiora or Character from X, Random Metroid rep, Pichu

Dependent on New 3DS exclusive DLC
Iceclimbers, Chorus Kids

Possible 3rd Party DLC

Snake
Rayman
(Hoping for Bomberman or Simon Belmont, but I don't see them as likely.)

I would really like to see Medusa, but I think Kid Icarus has reached it's limit for this installment.

Bowserlick

Smash Hero
1. Dixie Kong: I bet she was on the list, but development time ran out.
2. Wolf: I believe he has more to offer than Lucas.
3. Chorus Men: Because of past rumors...
4. Ice Climbers reworked: (perhaps connected together with their bungee cord)

Last edited:

Spazzy_D

Smash Hero
NNID
Spazzy_D
3DS FC
1590-4700-7117
This is the best I could do on my phone.
I don't know how likely it is, but that group would really round out the character roster nicely. Add in the two cut Brawl Pokemon to fill out those empty spaces and the end product would be AMAZING.

(Not that I expect that much DLC.)

Kalimdori

Amateur Youtuber
NNID
Kalimdori
3DS FC
5129-1442-5970
This looks fun!

First off, I think we will get plenty of DLC, as we know a DLC shop was found in the 3DS ROM data. I don't see the purpose of that if we are only getting 2-3 characters.
55% S Tier: I don't feel confident in claiming anythings above a 50% chance when it comes to Sakurai anymore
40% A Tier: Wolf and Lucas: Obvious picks are obvious, the fact that their custom moves are in the game shows that at least some work went into them before they were scrapped, and they would be fairly easy to bring back.
25% B Tier: Cap Toad, Dixie Kong, Isaac, Bandana Dee, Inkling: Toad, Dixie Kong, and Dee are all important to their respective franchises, as well as being pretty popular. Inkling could advertise Splatoon, and all Golden Sun content being erased feels suspicious to me.
15% C Tier: Snake, Rayman, Sceptile, Pichu, K. Rool, something from Zelda, another Mii Fighter: Kojima still wants Snake in the game, and that's really the only reason he got into Brawl. Rayman's already in the game, and I can't see why Ubisoft would settle for just a trophy for their mascot character. Sceptile's a relevant Pokemon and a grass starter, while Pichu would be stupidly easy to make (Maybe bundled together?) K Rool is popular but not as important as of now, I think Zelda will probably get somebody I just don't know who (Impa, Ganon, Toon Zelda, new character, I dunno), and more customization options for the Mii's (Mages coming to mind) seems like something that would sell well to the general public.
5% D Tier: Ridley, Squirtle, Ivysaur, Roy: The only reason Ridley is here is, as of now, he's still the only Metroid character that makes sense, no other Metroid character compares when it comes to star power. The fact that he's been mentioned by Sakurai and other Nintendo representatives shows that he's on their mind, and Sakurai has changed his mind before. If the next Metroid game protrays Ridley in an easier to translate to playable role, I'd bump him up to B Tier. Squirtle and Ivysaur are Pokemon, which gives them automatic star power, but I can't shake the feeling that they were killed off alongside the Pokemon Trainer (Who I forgot to put on here, he'd be on C Tier as a reworked standalone character) when Charizard was split off. Roy's had his role replaced by Lucina, but he still has a fanbase.
1% E Tier: Prof Layton, Krystal, Chorus Men, Ice Climbers, Chibi Robo, Wonder Red, another Metroid character: Layton seems to be the next likely 3rd party newcomer after Rayman, although that isn't saying much, I doubt Krystal would get in over Wolf and I don't see us getting 2 Star Fox DLC, Chorus Men and Ice Climbers solely depend on finding a solution to the 3DS limitations, Chibi Robo and Wonder Red aren't big enough names that I feel safe putting them any higher, and there is little to no chance of them adding in any other Metroid character over Ridley until said character appears in another game. (Imagine them putting in Count Bleck over Bowser, or Drawcia over Dedede)
.00001% F Tier: Mewtwo and Banjo Kazooie: Banjo Kazooie's chances are tragically impossible. Pffffft, Mewtwo, he's never coming back! :awesome:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
DLC roster hooray.png

Okay.

Ridley is Ridley
Poke Ball is a Pokemon Newcomer
Tingle is Style Savvy.
Shulk is a Xenoblade Newcomer
Tom Nook is an Animal Crossing Newcomer.
Retro DK is retro in general.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

N3ON

Gone Exploring
BRoomer
If Retro DK isn't a placeholder for all retros he's way too high.

Rest is good though.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
This thread makes me excited, if Mewtwo is the only DLC character, I will die.
It would be a pity, but really, any characters we get from here on out are bonuses. I don't know about you, but I'm quite satisfied with the game as is.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
It would be a pity, but really, any characters we get from here on out are bonuses. I don't know about you, but I'm quite satisfied with the game as is.
Yes, that's true, but I personally think the game is just OK.
The lack of some characters, stages and music are the reason why I want DLC.

False Sense

Ad Astra Per Aspera
NNID
FalseSense
3DS FC
3368-2599-3209
Yes, that's true, but I personally think the game is just OK.
The lack of some characters, stages and music are the reason why I want DLC.
Allow me to make a wild assumption and guess that you want a certain spear-wielding marshmallow in, correct?

ShinyRegice

Smash Lord
Inkling is confirmed?
I don't think so, it looks like it's the S tier, because Mewtwo is technically a S tier due to being confirmed.

Also something I'm wondering about is why Lucas managed to be higher than anyone else except Wolf and Dixie Kong. While I think that Isaac and Ice Climbers should have their place at one tier lower than in the current chart I can see why they're rated high, but imo Lucas is just flat-out overrated. While I understand Wolf's rating and think myself that Starfox Wii U gives him a solid chance for DLC, if anything for the fact that cutting a character from a series before the end of its hiatus seems wrong, I wonder why everyone is confident that Lucas is one of the most likely DLC characters. Personally I feel that he's a long shot with more going against than for him: his concept feels kinda redundant with Ness, he's far less iconic than him due to lacking his SSB64 seniority and international release, he's unlikely to appear in a new game while Mother 3 is very unlikely to be localized, and all of his special moves were given to Ness as custom variants (even though there's the possibility of redoing his special moveset). I'm not saying that Lucas does not deserve to return, I sympathize with his fans and I admit I felt kinda sad when I got his trophy while doing All-star mode with Ness, but I'm really surprised to see him rated so high. I know Sakurai doesn't like roster cuts and acknowledges everyone's fanbase, it's the reason why Dr. Mario returned as a full character instead of a costume like how it was planned, but I highly doubt that DLCs will be done specially for those fanbases when the average Smash player is probably not as emotionally attached to the roster as us in Smashboards (to be quite honest I didn't care about Mewtwo being cut until I seriously got interested in the Smash roster discussion scene). Sure, we finally got Mewtwo, but his star power outside of Smash is immense and thus he didn't relly on just fan demand, and in this way Lucas can't really compare to Mewtwo.

Yes I feel the same, I'd like to see a few additional characters but if the final roster is just the initial one + Mewtwo I'm personally fine with it. In a way, I feel that Smash 4 DLCs are going to "steal" some new characters for the next-gen SSB.

Anyway, thanks to posters for their new charts. Though I'm probably going to wait for a few more before updating the general chart.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Allow me to make a wild assumption and guess that you want a certain spear-wielding marshmallow in, correct?
Well, yes, but that's not the only reason why I don't think this game is "perfect", I also really wanted Dixie, K.Rool and Ridley, but obviously Bandana Dee is my favorite.
I don't like the stages, so many hazards and like 50% of them are from Brawl.
The music is great, but the lack of new Kirby music, good Pokemon music and classic DK music is sad.

Also, I don't like how boring the single player modes are and I also dislike the shields and dodges in this game, but I don't think DLC is the solution for these things.

But yeah, I still like this game because it's Smash and it also has good things, like the balance.

Tarikaques

Smash Rookie
Could someone explain the tier system for dlc please, because I have know no idea if i'am confused or ******** just i'm not getting the concept of how there tier'd?

Last edited:

Swamp Sensei

Today is always the most enjoyable day!
BRoomer
NNID
Swampasaur
3DS FC
4141-2776-0914
Switch FC
SW-6476-1588-8392
Could someone explain the tier system for dlc please, because I have know no idea if i'am confused or ******** just i'm not getting the concept of how there tier'd?
It's how likely we think each character is.

For example, most of us think Wolf will come back, so he's high tier.

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
Well, yes, but that's not the only reason why I don't think this game is "perfect", I also really wanted Dixie, K.Rool and Ridley, but obviously Bandana Dee is my favorite.
I don't like the stages, so many hazards and like 50% of them are from Brawl.
The music is great, but the lack of new Kirby music, good Pokemon music and classic DK music is sad.

Also, I don't like how boring the single player modes are and I also dislike the shields and dodges in this game, but I don't think DLC is the solution for these things.

But yeah, I still like this game because it's Smash and it also has good things, like the balance.
Hmm about this, yeah, I was salty for some reason XD
I actually love this game.

AEMehr

Mii Fighter
As far as I can tell, the general agreement is that Mewtwo being at the top suggests the top is confirmed DLC.

anything goes after that i guess

Nerdicon

Smash Journeyman
(announcer voice) Time to...EXPRESS MY OPINION!

Confirmed: :mewtwopm:

S tier: Wolf

A tier: Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur

B tier: Inkling, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Rhythm Heaven

C tier: King K. Rool, Retro Rep

D tier: Pokémon Rep, Snake, Impa, Ray MKI, Krystal

F Tier: Fiora, XCX rep, F-Zero rep, Metroid rep

Centuple Z tier: Ridley, Chrom, Magolor

Chandeelure

Bandana Brigade Captain
(announcer voice) Time to...EXPRESS MY OPINION!

Confirmed: :mewtwopm:

S tier: Wolf

A tier: Lucas, Squirtle, Ivysaur

B tier: Inkling, Bandanna Dee, Isaac, Dixie Kong, Rhythm Heaven

C tier: King K. Rool, Retro Rep

D tier: Pokémon Rep, Snake, Impa, Ray MKI, Krystal

F Tier: Fiora, XCX rep, F-Zero rep, Metroid rep

Centuple Z tier: Ridley, Chrom, Magolor
Magolor is not disconfirmed XD
And he is more likely than a F-Zero or Xenoblade character...IMO.

Top Bottom