• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Create 1.16!

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Lmao at people trying to nerf characters that already rarely win tournaments (sonic, luigi, even Mario), and giving huge buffs to mid-high tiers that would make them waayyyyy stronger than most of the the characters they are demanding be nerfed dx

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
As a Rosalina player myself, I approve of these changes.
I don't think Luma's respawn timer should be increased though, it's been nerfed twice already.
Bayonetta is supposed to be an overwhelming combo heavy character. Believe it or not, she struggles to KO if she can't carry you off the top. Just removing the kill combos in the fashion I suggested for example would automatically make her a lot worse.
And the changes I suggested would first and foremost address the problem of her being the best character in the game, while still keeping her combo game intact, for the most part. There's more to Bayonetta then Witch Twist, Witch Twist, Witch Twist, I'm sure. If Mario can be a combo heavy character that struggles to kill without having an instant death combo, then so can Bayonetta.
I don't think the Doc has any changes suggested, so...

:4drmario:
  • Dashing speed: 1.312 -> 1.5
  • Megavitamins IASA on frame 40
  • Super Sheet does more damage: 7.84% -> 12%
  • Super Jump Punch has increased distance
  • Dr. Tornado deals more damage: 8% -> 18%
  • Dr. Tornado travels higher and takes less button presses to gain height
  • Neutral attack deals more damage: 8.96% -> 13%
  • Down aerial autocancels in a short hop, and has less landing lag: 21 -> 16
  • Back throw has increased knockback: 70 base/60 growth -> 82 base/72 growth
  • Megavitamins deal more damage: 5.6% -> 7%
  • Neutral aerial does more damage: 5.6% clean/8.96% late -> 7% clean/10% late
  • Pummel does more damage: 3.64% -> 4%
  • Back aerial does more damage: 13.44% clean/7.84% late -> 15% clean/8.5% late
I kind of stole most of these from the Unofficial Balance Committee... but they have some very nice ideas for how to make Doc a little better. I changed a few things and added some things of my own to give him a larger buff... :grin:
I recognize some of these as my own suggestions.

Bowserboy3

Asking mum how to talk to a lady
NNID
Bowserboy3
Witch Twist, Witch Twist, Witch Twist
Go on then, name anything else notable about Bayonetta's combo game other than Witch Twist, or her ABK's.

Most of her combos come from these moves. Simply nerfing the hitstun or endlag on them would totally prevent them from working. Bayonetta's combos should still work, but be unable to carry you off the top. Hence, the move notorious for getting you close to the top of the screen, DABK, should have it's launch height toned down a bit. I would love to see them just do this and see how easy it would be for Bayonetta to death combo people then.

SalemtheEngineer

Smash n00b
:4link:
  • Better frame data in general.
  • Speed buff.
  • Better air mobility.
  • More shield/hit stun when hit by boomerang/bomb.
  • Bring back down tilt spike.
  • Bring back jab from Melee.
  • Able to wall-jump.
  • Allow z-dropping bombs without grab coming out.
:4luigi:
  • 50/50 KO out of down-throw.
  • Down-B requires less mashing.
  • Fire ball endlag reduced.
  • Better aerial mobility and fall speed.
:4marth:
  • Faster aerial attacks.
  • Melee down-air spike.
  • More range on sword.
  • Better aerial mobility
  • Return dancing blade spike from Melee.
  • Ken combo.
:4falco:
  • Speed buff.
  • Down-air rework (to Melee or Brawl)
  • Shine sends opponent upward to allow for follow-ups.
  • Laser lag cancels.
  • Better frame data.
  • Better combo throws
  • Lessen mashing down-b to rise.
:4feroy:
  • More safe-on-shield attack/ faster options.
  • Less endlag.
  • Better auto-snap.
  • More range.
  • Vertical hitbox on neutral-b.
:4falcon:
  • Faster raptor boost.
  • Return Melee knee.
  • Falcon Punch breaks shields.
  • Down-B returns jump.
  • Air speed now carries momentum from his dash.

:4samus:
  • Less lag on missles.
  • Better frame data.
  • Better D-Smash.
  • Return Melee bomb jump.
:4tlink:
  • Bring back down-air bounce from Brawl.

:4sonic:
  • BRING BACK ALL KO OPTIONS!

Red means it's very unlikely to happen, but done just for fun.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Go on then, name anything else notable about Bayonetta's combo game other than Witch Twist, or her ABK's.
Heel Slide, down tilt, up tilt, sometimes forward tilt.
Most of her combos come from these moves. Simply nerfing the hitstun or endlag on them would totally prevent them from working.
Overreact much? The moves would still be functional, just not as dominating in their usage. She's not like Luigi, who only had way of setting up all of his fancy ****, Bayonetta is gifted with several combo options, and again I'd like to point out that I'm not trying to completely take these moves out of the game, which is what you seem to believe I want to do.
Bayonetta's combos should still work, but be unable to carry you off the top.
Which is exactly what I'm proposing.
Hence, the move notorious for getting you close to the top of the screen, DABK, should have it's launch height toned down a bit. I would love to see them just do this and see how easy it would be for Bayonetta to death combo people then.
And watch how Bayonetta remains ever so comfortably in her solid #1 placement.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
In regards to some additional changes...

:4luigi:
  1. Air speed is increased.
:4gaw:
  1. Air speed is increased to 1.15.
:4zelda:
  1. Air speed is increased to 1.08.
  2. Falling speed is decreased.
:4samus:
  1. Falling speed is decreased to 1.25.
:4duckhunt:
  1. Falling speed is decreased to 1.55.
:4kirby:
:4dedede:
  1. Air speed is increased to 0.7.
:4metaknight:
  1. Air speed is decreased.
  2. Falling speed is decreased to 1.56.
:4falco:
  1. Run speed is increased.
  2. D-air's startup lag is reduced.
:4charizard:
:4jigglypuff:
  1. Air speed is increased to 1.35.
  2. Falling speed is decreased to 0.95.
:4falcon:
  1. Air speed is increased to 1.18.
  1. Walk speed is increased to 0.87x Mario's walk speed; 0.957.
  2. Run speed is increased to 0.87x Mario's run speed; 1.392.
  3. Air speed is increased to 0.87x Mario's air speed; 1.0005.
  4. Air acceleration is increased to 0.87x Mario's air acceleration; 0.0609.
:4corrin:
  1. Walk speed is increased to 1.2.
  2. Run speed is increased to 1.5.
  3. Air speed is increased.

Last edited:

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
I'm not going to go in detail like I did with jiggs, but these would be the characters id buff nerf/with the last bit of the budget (obvi can't BUFF ALL LOW TEIRS lol):

Bayonetta:
-fairly large weight nerf so she dies ~15-20% earlier. This would do a lot to even out risk reward, making her more of a glass cannon
-bat within moved to frame 2 instead of frame 1, so she can't mash air dodge to escape combos. Again, this would help even out risk reward

Cloud:
-Add 10% increase in time (and damage) it takes to charge limit (so roughly 42 frame increase?)

Jigglypuff:
-see above

Roy:
-range increase to match Marcina
-0.5-1% dmg increase to all sour spots maybe? Idk how this would effect his combos as I am not a Roy may, but ik that at sword length his damage output is abysmal, so.

DDD:
-+2% to Gordo reflect threshold
-make his inhale hitbox/hurt box better (talked about above)

Falco:
-LESS LASER LAG PLSSSS ITS PATHETIC WHO PULLS A TRIGGER THAT SLOW WHO PUTS AWAY THEIR GUN THAT SLOW D: the speed of Falcos lasers is so infuriating to me lol.
-faster down air

THEN if there is time/money left, pick a couple of these (in no order)

Little Mac:
- slight increase in how far his side b and up b travel

Samus:
-Missiles that arnt terrible would be cool

Zelda:
-dins fire stuff
-idk, make her not suck (I don't play her but I believe ppl when they say she's bad)

Palutana:
-make her not suck (again, don't know anything about palutana)

Falco:
-God just make falco not trash, pls

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
I'd say that after 1.15 fixed the problem of his smash attacks being garbage, Falco is decent now. He still needs help, yes, but I wouldn't call him trash.
Maybe, just... Falco has the potential to be such a great, solid footsies/fundamentals character, but that potential, at least in MY opinion, is ruined by his all around poor frame data. The closest things we have to that sort of character right now, on a high level, are Ryu, maybe greninja, and idk, that's it really? But Ryu is such a punish based character, and Greninja, such a technical, combo based character, both so centered around the advantaged state, that I feel the game is really lacking that one, solid, neutral centered character with good footsies. Falcos design to me reflects that, but it falls flat on the execution, making him incapable of fully embracing what imo he was meant to to do. That's what I meant by trash.

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Maybe, just... Falco has the potential to be such a great, solid footsies/fundamentals character, but that potential, at least in MY opinion, is ruined by his all around poor frame data. The closest things we have to that sort of character right now, on a high level, are Ryu, maybe greninja, and idk, that's it really? But Ryu is such a punish based character, and Greninja, such a technical, combo based character, both so centered around the advantaged state, that I feel the game is really lacking that one, solid, neutral centered character with good footsies. Falcos design to me reflects that, but it falls flat on the execution, making him incapable of fully embracing what imo he was meant to to do. That's what I meant by trash.
Falco's frame data isn't necessarily bad, depending on how you look at it. Most of his moves start up pretty fast, but they take a while to end. I agree that Falco has the makings of a good character, though. You can definitely see what he could've been.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
:4myfriends:PREPARE YOURSELF FOR A WALL OF TEXT:4robinf:
ahem

:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:
  • Give forward air the same treatment as Fox's jab: only allow it to continue the attack combo otherwise characters will be able to escape. All of Bayonetta's zero-to-deaths have the first hit of her fair to get close enough to her opponent for the downward ABK. This effectively neuters her insta-death capabilities while also not effecting her more common combos
  • Increase Witch Twist (Up Special) startup (frame 4 → frame 8)
  • Bullet Arts no longer cause hitstun at point blank
:4bowserjr:
  • Jab2 FAF reduced (frame 40 → frame 20)
  • Rapid jab sends at a more horizontal angle
  • Fsmash does more shield damage to mimic it in Bowser Jr.'s reveal trailer (the longer you charge it, the more shield damage it does)
  • Nair now autocancels out of shorthop
  • Clown Cannon (Neutral Special) has less startup and endlag
  • Clown Kart Dash's invincibility now covers the entirety of the Kart, not just the underside
  • Abandon Ship! (Up Special) Clown Kart hit links into the explosion better, as well as the Kart not taking as long to explode
  • Mechakoopa (Down Special) FAF reduced (68 → 39)
  • All grabs have increased range
  • All grabs are faster
    • Standing: frame 12 → frame 10
    • Dash: frame 13 → frame 11
    • Pivot: frame 12 → frame 10
  • Fthrow's angle changed (45° → 30°)
  • Fthrow becomes a kill throw, reliably killing Mario at 120% at the ledge
  • Uthrow angle changed (85° → 90°)
  • Uthrow becomes a combo throw (like father, like son), and can combo into usmash at low percents, and nair and uair at mid and higher-mid percents
  • Dash speed increased (1.424 → 1.48)
:4charizard:
  • Nair FAF reduced (60 → 50)
  • Utilt has a slight hitbox increase on Charizard's body. This allows Charizard to hit grounded opponents without having to be inside the opponent (seriously; Charizard's face is inside Mario's head and I'm not even getting a phantom hit)
:4cloud::4cloud2:
  • Fsmash final hit KBG reduced (115 → 105)
  • Uair slightly increased startup; no longer autocancels out of a shorthop
  • Limit Cross Slash increased endlag
:4corrin::4corrinf:
  • All forms of movement speed reverted back to pre-patch stats; Counter is not touched
:4dedede:
  • Revert dthrow back to pre-patch dthrow (It was buffed in KBG, ruining it's comboing capabilities at higher percents, as well as the angle it sent it at being changed from 70 to 80 (though maybe don't touch the angle))
  • Jab1 comes out faster (frame 10 → frame 8) as well has transitioning into Jab2 faster, and reliably connects to Jab2 making it no longer unsafe on hit
  • All hits of ftilt reliably connect
  • Dtilt no longer has the blind spot
  • Fair's damage is increased (12% → 15%), has less endlag and landing lag, allowing it to autocancel from a shorthop
  • Usmash decreased startup and endlag
  • Hitbox added in front of usmash so it doesn't whiff on short characters anymore
  • Gordos now require a move of 5% or greater to reflect them
  • Gordo Throw (Side Special) has decreased startup and endlag
  • Super Dedede Jump's landing now breaks shields
  • Jet Hammer (Down Special) is actually good
  • Air speed increased (0.63 → 0.7)
  • All hits of Dedede Burst (Final Smash) connect reliably and can no longer be airdodged out of
  • All smash attacks connect reliably
  • Dsmash has slightly increased range
  • Utilt has decreased startup (frame 11 → frame 9)
  • Jigglypuff no longer spins continuously after landing a Rollout in the air
  • Dthrow is now a combo throw
:4kirby:
  • Air speed increased (0.8 → 0.85)
  • Final Cutter now has super armor during the rising portion of the move
:4lucas:
  • Nair can no longer be SDId out of
  • Nair and fair now autocancel out of a shorthop
:4mewtwo:
  • Size for all grabs is increased, allowing Mewtwo to grab shorter characters easier, as well as allowing him to grab more accurately (Currently, Mewtwo can slide into an opponent and whiff the grab if it isn't spaced correctly
  • Dthrow has decreased endlag allowing it to be the combo throw it was intended to be back in 1.1.3
:4palutena:
  • Dash attack slides a bit further
  • Ftilt is faster (frame 17 → frame 12)
  • Utilt endlag reduced
  • Fsmash endlag reduced
  • Dsmash endlag reduced
  • Nair and uair have slightly less landing lag
  • Dair hitboxes reworked to be more accurate
  • Autoreticle (Neutral Special) has less startup and endlag, as well as being able to lock on to airdodging targets
  • Counter becomes as strong or maybe stronger than the other anime weapon-wielders i love ya palu
Uhm... I think that's it. Leave some constructive criticism if you'd like.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Okay

• Frisbee starts up faster with less end lag
  • The order of gunman isn't random anymore (slowest to fastest shooters). Gunman does more damage in general (weakest Gunman will do 9%
  • Can's weakest hit does 12%.
  • The duck is now disjointed from the character hurt box on all Tilts and aerials. Hit boxes are slightly bigger.
  • Smashes startup faster and link correctly. Less end lag
  • Up B last longer slightly is more controllable.

• Rest kills earlier
  • Uair has higher KB and Lower KBG
  • Nair gets bigger hitboxes all-around
  • Jab hitboxes are bigger
  • Ftilt hitboxes are bigger and does more damage
  • Uthrow has lower KB and lower KBG. Oriented for combos
  • air speed accelerate and deccelerate values are now closed to brawl wario.
:4lemmy:
  • Jab links reliably now
  • Dtilt link reliably now
  • Utilt has bigger hitboxes in front
  • Grab starts up faster and has longer range
  • Dthrow has less KB and KBG and the angle is diagonally up from bowjow for combos
  • Bthrow is slightly stronger
  • Dair has less end lag
  • Fair, Nair and Bair has less endlag
  • Cannonball has less endlag and can be stored. Does more damage.
  • Mecha Koopa does more damage and has slightly less endlag. Mecha Koopa starts up slower so bowjow can grab it reliably.
:4pacman:
  • Grab startups up faster, has more active frames, and less endlag.
  • B throw kills earlier, Bair kills earlier, and Nair kills earlier.

I would insta main duck hunt if this were to happen.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Why do people have a problem with bayonetta being the best, or even a top teir character? Sure, she deserves some nerfs, but nerfing her combos would ruin her, making her a mid teir at best. That is what makes her good.

Also, you have to take into consideration that smash is a spectator sport, and bayo is hype to watch. A tournament that's all campy clouds, rosalumas, and sheiks that now Litterally take FOREVER to kill, will NOT draw crowds. Nerfing her combos will just make ANOTHER character that can rack up damage but takes forever to kill. You know why melee is more popular as an esport? Ppl die at 50. In 4, it's not at all uncommon to see ppl live to 3x that percent. Bayonetta is one of the few characters that doesn't have that problem, so why ruin that?

INSTEAD, how about we give her a large weight nerf, increase to fall speed, and move batwithin to frame 2 so that she dies significantly earlier? That way, not only do we have a character that kills early (hype), we also have a character that gets killed early (hype). This would do a lot to even out her risk reward, making her more of a glass cannon, would make her MORE hype, and allow her to stay a top 3 character that ppl will get to watch in tournament. Everybody wins :)

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Why do people have a problem with bayonetta being the best, or even a top teir character? Sure, she deserves some nerfs, but nerfing her combos would ruin her, making her a mid teir at best. That is what makes her good.

Also, you have to take into consideration that smash is a spectator sport, and bayo is hype to watch. A tournament that's all campy clouds, rosalumas, and sheiks that now Litterally take FOREVER to kill, will NOT draw crowds. Nerfing her combos will just make ANOTHER character that can rack up damage but takes forever to kill. You know why melee is more popular as an esport? Ppl die at 50. In 4, it's not at all uncommon to see ppl live to 3x that percent. Bayonetta is one of the few characters that doesn't have that problem, so why ruin that?

INSTEAD, how about we give her a large weight nerf, increase to fall speed, and move batwithin to frame 2 so that she dies significantly earlier? That way, not only do we have a character that kills early (hype), we also have a character that gets killed early (hype). This would do a lot to even out her risk reward, making her more of a glass cannon, would make her MORE hype, and allow her to stay a top 3 character that ppl will get to watch in tournament. Everybody wins :)
Bayonetta is hype to watch? Maybe the stairway to heaven combos were interesting to watch at first, but they became stale VERY quickly. You see, people want to change Bayonetta so that she doesn't overpower the rest of the cast. That's called balancing. Smash may be a spectator sport, but a game where one or two characters dominate the metagame isn't going to attract any positive attention. That's exactly why Brawl died as it did.

Smashifer

Smash Journeyman
NNID
CRYN1ME
3DS FC
5129-3686-1647
:4bayonetta::4bayonetta2:
  • Give forward air the same treatment as Fox's jab: only allow it to continue the attack combo otherwise characters will be able to escape. All of Bayonetta's zero-to-deaths have the first hit of her fair to get close enough to her opponent for the downward ABK. This effectively neuters her insta-death capabilities while also not effecting her more common combos
*cough cough*
I do think this is a legitimate way to stop her stairways, while keeping her combo heavy game intact.

Last edited:

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Smash isn't a spectator sport. It isn't even a sport. It's just a game. Doing anything to make it look "hype" to watch is silly. People like different things. It's ridiculously subjective to do anything for spectators. Good game design and community is all we need.

And What's a spectator sport anyway?

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Smash isn't a spectator sport. It isn't even a sport. It's just a game. Doing anything to make it look "hype" to watch is silly. People like different things. It's ridiculously subjective to do anything for spectators. Good game design and community is all we need.

And What's a spectator sport anyway?
Okay well if you want there to continue being large tournaments, the tournaments need to make money, and if you want tournaments to make money, spectators have to enjoy watching the game lmao d:

(Not only that, if we are talking subjective than good game design is also subjective and Sakuri could Mail us a Litteral bag of dog crap and when you complain that he sent you a bag of dog crap he could just say "actually no it's a video game, it's all subjective maaannn"... OR instead of that, how about we ignore subjectivity for a second and actually look at statistics. For example, statistically speaking, people don't like dog crap being left on their door step. And statistically speaking, people don't like watching fighting games where it take forever to kill.)

Sure, what people enjoy is subject on a small scale, but if you look at the forest through the trees, there are larger patterns to be seen.

(Besides, I'm not saying she shouldn't be nerfed, I just think she should be nerfed in a way that helps sm4sh both as a competitive game AND spectator sport)

Edit: a spectator sport is a sport that people spectate xD (and I guess a sport that people Make money from through ppl watching)
A sport is something that people do competitively. I suppose you could also say something that people do competitively that you can potentially earn money doing.

Last edited:

BJN39

Smash Data Ranger
Something I thought as appropriate for Bayonetta would be reducing the damage on several moves, and then editing the KB stats to stay functionally identical. (Like Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt, and Heel Slide.) That way some mores like Dtilt, which are incredible AND do damage on the high side would be toned down slightly, but remain useable. Also slight damage nerfs to BAir and UAir with the purpose of making them KO slightly later. I'd made a fancy liston specific KB edits that would perfectly offset the damage reduction for several of Bayo's moves, but eh I'm not gonna dig it up.

Also want to note that to an extent, the BKB could be toned down on some of Luma's moves. Base KB is actually affected by both BKB and KBG. If the BKB on Luma UAir was reduced slightly, but the growth rebalanced to compensate some, it could retain more of its "design" while possibly being toned down. Please note that rage predominantly affects BKB, so the rage factor would be toned down some too.

Also is there anything wrong with tilting Luma UAir's angle inward a few degrees? It would still "combo" into Rosalina's UAir, but correct DI would be a bit more effective in avoiding death.

SkippyJ

Smash Apprentice
Something I thought as appropriate for Bayonetta would be reducing the damage on several moves, and then editing the KB stats to stay functionally identical. (Like Ftilt, Dtilt, Utilt, and Heel Slide.) That way some mores like Dtilt, which are incredible AND do damage on the high side would be toned down slightly, but remain useable. Also slight damage nerfs to BAir and UAir with the purpose of making them KO slightly later. I'd made a fancy liston specific KB edits that would perfectly offset the damage reduction for several of Bayo's moves, but eh I'm not gonna dig it up.
Do you mean to make it so that her combos still work AND kill, but so that she has a harder time racking up damage and and a harder time killing outside of combos overall, that way people have less options to worry about at any given time? That might be interesting! I still think she needs to die earlier to make it so that people are less encouraged to play defensively, but I think this would be an appropriate nerf that wouldn't mess with her character design or top teir status :)

Last edited:

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
If people are so concerned about Bayonetta, I do have one solution...

:4bayonetta:
  1. Weight is decreased to 77.
Less weight means easier to send flying, AND it would make Bayonetta's combo game much more risky to use, since if it ever whiffs, she can get punished more easily for it.

Fex13

Smash Apprentice

finally....finally somebody who understands competitive gaming. thank you!
the rest be like: lets give lag TO ALL THE MOVES. many people really focus on nerfing/buffing the completely wrong things. i reaaaally do hope that nintendo doesnt destroy some characters just to finally shut up people that wont git gud at this game in the first place.

Baby_Sneak

Smash Champion
NNID
sneak_diss
Okay well if you want there to continue being large tournaments, the tournaments need to make money, and if you want tournaments to make money, spectators have to enjoy watching the game lmao d:

(Not only that, if we are talking subjective than good game design is also subjective and Sakuri could Mail us a Litteral bag of dog crap and when you complain that he sent you a bag of dog crap he could just say "actually no it's a video game, it's all subjective maaannn"... OR instead of that, how about we ignore subjectivity for a second and actually look at statistics. For example, statistically speaking, people don't like dog crap being left on their door step. And statistically speaking, people don't like watching fighting games where it take forever to kill.)

Sure, what people enjoy is subject on a small scale, but if you look at the forest through the trees, there are larger patterns to be seen.

(Besides, I'm not saying she shouldn't be nerfed, I just think she should be nerfed in a way that helps sm4sh both as a competitive game AND spectator sport)

Edit: a spectator sport is a sport that people spectate xD (and I guess a sport that people Make money from through ppl watching)
A sport is something that people do competitively. I suppose you could also say something that people do competitively that you can potentially earn money doing.
Lol nahhhhhhhh

Good game design is based on if it enhances and meshes well with the goal of the game. It's obvious that making you lose health, or putting you in danger if you hit the opponent is bad game design for a fighting game.

Trying to make a fighting game appealing to spectators is a fruitless endeavor. Some People love Rushdown, Some people love zoning, some people love grapplers, some
Hate grapplers, some love 0 to deaths, some love low damage and punishments for more interactions (to heck with that), etc... Can't please everybody

Just gotta rely on community and the decency of the game. But, mostly the community though.

And a sport is a game that involves physical activity. Video games are hardly physical lol.

Mr.PersonSir

Smash Cadet
:4wiifit:
-Make basically all her hitboxes better
-Give her smash attacks less end lag
-Increase size of the sweet spots on up smash and bair
-take away some of the end lag on her bair (so it can auto cancel out of a short hop)
Increase kbg of all her throws except down throw which should become a combo throw

:4gaw:
-make the second hitbox of up air come out faster so it connects better
-up tilt gets a bigger hitbox so characters won't fall out
-the end lag you get after you bucket something should be reduced SIGNIFICANTLY
-give Forward air more kbg and less end lag and less startup

:4ganondorf:
-make his aerial speed and ground speed much faster
-take away some end lag on bair(2 frames or less so it can autocancel out of a short hop)
-down throw's angle sends the opponent slightly closer and has less end lag
-decrease the end lag on forward air by a lot
-decrease the startup on up tilt by a ton
-give his down B more set knock back and less end lag

:4littlemac:
-fix his recovery

:4miibrawl::4miigun::4miisword:
-make them tourney legal with their moveset (a pre determined moveset for each character by the community would be fine too)

C3CC

Smash Lord
A tournament that's all campy clouds, rosalumas, and sheiks that now Litterally take FOREVER to kill
So people from EVO 2015 and other tournaments are still playing to this day? Man... I envy their stamina.

All I'm going to say is that the only Rosalina nerf I support is the one for her Up Air so it doesn't kill so ridiculously easy. Aside from that, leave her alone. She's perfect the way she is.

Mario & Sonic Guy

Old rivalries live on!
NNID
TPitch5
3DS FC
5327-1637-5096
All I'm going to say is that the only Rosalina nerf I support is the one for her Up Air so it doesn't kill so ridiculously easy. Aside from that, leave her alone. She's perfect the way she is.
I would say increase Rosalina's air speed, but people would heavily complain about that. Launch Star can't deal any damage, so without better air mobility, Rosalina would likely struggle to make safe landings against a large amount of the roster, and it's not like you can always d-air your way out of the problem either.

As for the u-air, it's not exactly an instant win without the Luma.

Last edited:

MrMFC

Smash Cadet
NNID
iLFurkan
Ok I'll be an egoist and only talk about my main :4kirby:.

General buffs:

-Increased air speed (0.8 -> 0.9 / 0.95)

Aerials:

-Up air ending lag reduced slightly
-Back air safe on shield now due to air speed buff
-Nair frame data buff (start up reduced so it becomes a frame 4 or 5 nair), also less ending lag so you don't suicide with it off stage
-Fair buff so it links better, comes out on frame 6

Ground moves:

-Vulcano Jab endlag reduced, also Vulcano Jab links better so opponents can't escape and punish you with an aerial (in Kirby dittos you can even sdi out of it and down b the jabbing kirby lol)
-Dash Attack -> comes out on frame 6, links better

Specials:

-Final Cutter snaps the ledge and comes out on frame 15

This would give Kirby a good approaching tool with bair and fix his biggest weakness. Also his nair can help him to break out of combos now and be used off stage, because atm you'll die if you fast fall nair off stage. His up air can actually stay as it is atm, still would be nice to see slightly less endlag. Same with fair and its start up

Other than that I want his Jab and Dash attack to be fixed, as well as final cutter not being absolutely gimpable without sweetspotting. Also it comes out on frame 23, which is pretty late.

I believe Kirby would reach solid high tier with these buffs, he really needs more air speed and an approach with that. Nair as an oos option would help a lot as well. The other changes are not too important and wouldn't make a big difference, yet they'd be nice to see as they just fix some small things.

Furret24

Smash Master
That sounds gross.
Honestly, the Flare Blade buff would be pretty miniscule. 9.7u isn't much bigger than 8.7u.

For your Puff buffs,
Up smash: Invincibility added to frames 13-19, FAF decreased from 46 to 40, startup decreased from 16 frames to 13 frames, KBG increased from 105 to 115.
Are you sure making a frame 13 move with minimal ending lag and full body invincibility kill at 100% is a good idea?
Back air: Starting and active frames improved (12-13 -> 10-13), FAF decreased (45 -> 30).
If we went by these changes, the move would be active twice in a shorthop. Considering the move kills around 100% and Puff has great aerial mobility...
Up air: Active frames changed (9-21 -> 6-18), this means that the move is active for the same amount of frames (12), it just starts and recovers sooner. FAF decreased, (45 -> 35).
https://mobile.twitter.com/KuroganeHammer/status/728806707502026753
This is what would happen if you changed uair to have a FAF of 35.

"Balance"
Down throw: Knockback: 45 base/100 growth -> 37 base/90 growth. Ending lag is decreased as well, allowing it to combo until mid percents.
I can't guarantee this, but wouldn't this give it the ability to true combo into Rest at mid percents? That sounds kinda broken.
Up throw: KBG increased: 110 -> 125, this repurposes it into a reliable KO move.
This "reliable KO move" would kill almost 20% sooner than Mewtwo’s up throw. You think you could tone this buff down a little? -_-
Sing: The move is now one long, very active "sleepbox" instead of three separate ones. The move starts up much faster (frame 29 -> frame 15) and ends quicker (frame 180 -> 164). Opponents are also asleep for longer.
Would it put opponents to sleep long enough to where you got a free kill at 45% off a frame 15 move? That sounds rather unbalanced.

I'll put some list thingy of what changes for G&W later today.
:162:

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
Are you sure making a frame 13 move with minimal ending lag and full body invincibility kill at 100% is a good idea?

My bad, I should've clarified that I meant invincibility on her head only, not full body.

If we went by these changes, the move would be active twice in a shorthop. Considering the move kills around 100% and Puff has great aerial mobility...
That doesn't sound too bad to me.

https://mobile.twitter.com/KuroganeHammer/status/728806707502026753
This is what would happen if you changed uair to have a FAF of 35.

"Balance"
What exactly am I looking at here?
I can't guarantee this, but wouldn't this give it the ability to true combo into Rest at mid percents? That sounds kinda broken.
I think it would at low percents, but I'm not so sure at mid. At any rate, it would most likely only work on heavier characters, at which point it wouldn't KO anyway.
This "reliable KO move" would kill almost 20% sooner than Mewtwo’s up throw.
You're right. It should be stronger.
Would it put opponents to sleep long enough to where you got a free kill at 45% off a frame 15 move? That sounds rather unbalanced.
You say frame 15 as if that's fast. And what of Jigglypuff's KOs at 45%?

Eugene Wang

Smash Apprentice
Few people find it fun to not know the matchup and then get zero-to-deathed from neutral (Just look at Bayonetta right now), so it's extremely unlikely that we'd get more early-percent kill confirms. I decided to give Jigglypuff more ways to get the opponent offstage, and made her spacing and edgeguarding game better with knockback buffs, rather than giving confirms into Rest.

Oh, and what you're looking at is what Jiggs would be like if your buffs made it in. I'll forgive you for not knowing beforehand, but at least acknowledge it now.

Last edited:

Furret24

Smash Master
That doesn't sound too bad to me.
For comparison, how would you like it if Yoshi's fair came out almost twice as fast, killed at 100% no matter what part of the move you landed, and could be used twice in a shorthop? Almost the exact same thing, except Puff has better aerial decelleration and acceleration, so it would also be close to Sheik's fair levels of safe.
A mod of Smash 4 that changes up aerial to have a FAF of 35. In other words, your change would give her easy up air -> Rest strings that could kill ridiculously early.
I think it would at low percents, but I'm not so sure at mid. At any rate, it would most likely only work on heavier characters, at which point it wouldn't KO anyway.
Testing it myself, it is indeed possible to combo into Rest with it a percents where it can kill, even without the reduced ending lag.
You say frame 15 as if that's fast. And what of Jigglypuff's KOs at 45%?
If you're looking at just raw moves, fully charged fsmash has the potential to kill off the side at that percent, especially if said opponent is rather light. If you look at this from a more broad perspective, you could also do you easy bake down throw/up tilt -> up air -> Rest combos.

Clock Tower Prison

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
5215-3120-4820

E Eugene Wang
Furret24 Furret24
Guys I wanted to be the one to tell him that his ideas are bad, his posts have no backing and should not be taken seriously, and he like a lot of people on this board have no clue how to actually balance characters.

U-Tilt
  • Hitbox active: 9-13-->7-11
  • FAF: 34-->28
  • Damage: 8%-->7%
  • KBG: 140-->120
  • Additional Hitboxes added closer to the ground.
As of right now, U-Tilt is outclassed by U-Smash in most situations as it hits aerial opponents frame 6 and is easier to land. This would give U-Tilt a bit more utility while nerfing it's kill power to keep it balanced. The new hitboxes would allow Charizard to connect with grounded opponents more consistently.
Now I don't know much about Charizard so not sure if this is what is needed or if this would have an ill affect but this is more or less what balance should look like. Nerfing one area to compensate for a buff in another. @Jmacz

Last edited:

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
E Eugene Wang
Furret24 Furret24
Guys I wanted to be the one to tell him that his ideas are bad, his posts have no backing and should not be taken seriously, and he like a lot of people on this board have no clue how to actually balance characters.

Now I don't know much about Charizard so not sure if this is what is needed or if this would have an ill affect but this is more or less what balance should look like. Nerfing one area to compensate for a buff in another. @Jmacz
So you're Masahiro Sakurai all of a sudden? Why don't you go balance a game since you know so much?
For comparison, how would you like it if Yoshi's fair came out almost twice as fast, killed at 100% no matter what part of the move you landed, and could be used twice in a shorthop?
Honestly, I wouldn't see a difference.

easy up air -> Rest strings that could kill ridiculously early.
Your making me salivate.

Testing it myself, it is indeed possible to combo into Rest with it a percents where it can kill, even without the reduced ending lag.
Exactly how are you testing these?
If you're looking at just raw moves, fully charged fsmash has the potential to kill off the side at that percent, especially if said opponent is rather light. If you look at this from a more broad perspective, you could also do you easy bake down throw/up tilt -> up air -> Rest combos.
Jigglypuff doesn't die from a fully charged forward smash until past 50%, unless you push them towards the ledge, which isn't exactly a quick way of traveling.

Last edited:

phire_

Smash Cadet
:4feroy:

• Range on all attacks increased to Marth's range
  • D-tilt sends opponents up like in Melee
  • D-throw has more hitstun
  • F-throw knockback angle changed, allowing for better followups
  • Blazer covers more vertical distance
  • D-air's sweetspot is bigger and the attack has less startup and much less end lag
  • All aerials have less startup, landing, and ending lag
  • F-air and N-air autocancel in a shorthop
  • Sourspot hitboxes are smaller on all attacks while sweetspots are larger
  • Grab and dash grab range increased
I probably overdid it but oh well.

Minik

Smash Journeyman
Little Mac getting a buff in sideways air movement would be nice, I tried it with customs and it was much nicer but didn't feel broken.

Furret24

Smash Master
Alrighty, here's what I would do for Game and Watch to make him an overall more viable character and better fit the "Glass Cannon" archetype he's supposed to be.
Attributes
- Overall speed increased (1.5264 dashing/1.242 walking/1.12 aerial speed/0.03 aerial acceleration -> 1.663 dashing/1.2 walking/1.2 aerial speed/0.05 aerial acceleration).

Jab
- Knockback altered, making it harder for opponents to escape the move before the infinite starts (5bkb/100wbkb -> 25bkb).
- Body hitbox size reduced. While this removes it ability to hit opponents from behind, reducing it's coverage, it also prevents the infinite from potentially accidentally starting with the opponent behind Game and Watch, where the infinite doesn't hit (4.5u -> 4.0u).

Forward Tilt

- Damage output increased, giving the move more kill power (10%/4% -> 12%/5%).
- Knockback decreased to balance out the damage buff (35bkb -> 25bkb).
- Duration increased, making it better for spacing (10 clean, 11-17 late -> 10-14 clean, 15-24 late).

Up tilt

- Hitbox sizes drastically increased, allowing the move to actually hit opponents outside of down throw combos at specific percents (5.5u/3.0u -> 8.0u/5.5u Hit 1, 6.0u/3.5u -> 8.8u/6.3u Hit 2).
- Hit 1 does less damage (7% -> 4%), sends opponents at a more diagonal angle (100 -> 110 degrees) and has set knockback (30/127 -> 58). These changes make it where the first hit will always combo into the second hit, regardless of rage, DI, or weight.
- Hit 2 does more damage (7% -> 10%) and sends opponents at a higher angle (110 -> 90 degrees). This gives the move kill power around 150%.
- Hit 2 does less knockback to slightly compensate for it's damage buff (20/127 -> 12/120).
- Both hits have slightly longer durations (3 -> 5 frames).

Down Tilt

- Manhole hitbox knockback slightly increased (125 -> 130kbg).
- Ending lag reduced, making it safer on block (40 -> 30 FAF).
- Manhole hitbox size increased, matching the size of the manhole (2.5u -> 3.0u).

Forward Smash

- Hitbox sizes altered (5.3u Sweetspot, 3.0u Sourspot -> 6.8u Sweetspot, 1.5u Sourspot), making the sweetspot much easier to land, while the sourspot is still not negligible like it is in Brawl.
- Knockback increased for both hits (91kbg Sweetspot, 100kbg Sourspot -> 94kbg Sweetspot, 110kbg sourspot), making the move more rewarding on hit.
- Angle lowered, making the move less suspectable to DI (53 -> 46 degrees).
- Hitbox duration increased (2 frames -> 6 frames).

Up Smash

Back hitbox size increased (5.5u -> 6.0u), making the move possible to land from behind.

Down Smash

- Hitbox sizes altered, making the sweetspot hitboxes easier to land (5.0u/5.0 Sweetspot, 4.5u Sourspot -> 6.0u/6.0u Sweetspot, 3.0u Sourspot).
- Sourspot knockback heavily increased, giving it kill power before 150% again (35/65 -> 40/80). The sweetspot also has slightly increased knockback (85kbg -> 90kbg).

Neutral Aerial

- SDI Modifyer of the connecting hits reduced, making it easier to land all of the hits (0.8x SDI -> 0.5x SDI). The fish hitboxes are slightly bigger, covering the fish properly (3.0u -> 3.5u).
- Autocancel window altered, making the move autocancel out of a shorthop (44> -> 32>). The move also has slightly less landing lag (12 frames -> 10 frames).

Forward Aerial

- Clean hit is much stronger (11.5%, 30/86 -> 12.5%, 40/90), giving it kill power before 150%, while still not being as strong as it was in Melee and Brawl.
- The late hit lasts slightly longer, making it more viable for jab locks (14 frames -> 21 frames).
- Autocancel window altered, allowing the move to autocancel in a shorthop (42> -> 35>).

- Landing lag slightly increased to balance out the changes above (15 frames -> 18 frames), removing it's use as a somewhat safe landing option.

Back Aerial

- Overall damage increased (2% Looping Hits, 3% Launching Hit -> 2.5% Looping Hits, 4.5% Launching Hit).
- Landing lag reduced (19 frames -> 14 frames), making it a safer option in neutral.

Up Aerial

- Hit 1 has an autolink angle, does set knocback (20bkb, 120wbkb -> 60bkb), and has a much bigger hitbox (4.3u/6.5u -> 4.8u/7.0u). These changes make connecting the first hit into the second hit significantly easier.
- Hit 2 has a much bigger hitbox (4.3u/6.5u -> 5.3u/7.5u) and has slightly more knockback (98kbg -> 105kbg).
- Landing lag slightly decreased (12 frames -> 10 frames).

Down Aerial

- Damage output increased (11%/3.5% -> 13%/4%). The spike hitbox duration slightly increased, making the timing for it less strict (2 frames -> 5 frames).
- Hitbox size increased, giving it more moves it can beat out, overall making Game and Watch slightly less susceptible to juggling (4.0u -> 5.0u).
- Landing lag decreased (28 frames -> 20 frames).

Forward and Back Throws

- Angle lowered (58 -> 30 degrees), making them good for setting up edgeguards.
- Knockback significantly reduced overall to balance out their new angles (100/40 -> 46/70).

Up Throw

- Knockback increased, giving the move kill power around 150% (40kbg -> 80kbg).

Judge

- Judge 1 does more self damage (12% -> 15%) as minor compensation for the numbers above.
- Judge 2 now always trips opponents on hit (20% -> 100%) and has the Flower Effect.
- Judge 3 does much more shield damage, making it much easier to break shields with (25 SD -> 40 SD). It now also has the Stun Effect.
- Judge 4 is now a powerful spike with the Darkness Effect (8%, 50/40 -> 13%, 66/66).
- Judge 5 hits five times instead of four, giving it a slightly higher damage output overall (12% -> 15% if all hits connect).
- Judge 6 is much stronger (12%, 30/80 -> 16%, 35/80).
- Judge 7 now automatically heals Game and Watch 14% along with dropping an Apple. It also does significantly more knocback (30/50 -> 24/100).
- Judge 8 does more damage (9% -> 18%), which indirectly means it freezes opponents for much longer.
- Judge 9 has the same hitbox size as the other numbers (4u/3u -> 6u/3u).

Oil Panic

- Ending lag reduced (50 FAF -> 40 FAF).
Exactly how are you testing these?
As i've stated before, i've been modding Smash 4 for the past month now. It's entirely possible for me to test all the changes myself. Surely you remember when I showed you that video of that mod where all of Mario's moves spiked. I mean, the mod was dedicated to you. ;P
Jigglypuff doesn't die from a fully charged forward smash until past 50%, unless you push them towards the ledge, which isn't exactly a quick way of traveling.
It may not be fast, but you've still not told me how much longer Sing puts opponents to sleep. For all I know, you could mean that opponents will stay asleep long enough to where you can push them across the entire stage and still hit them with a fully charged foward smash without them waking up at 45%. You also didn't say anything to disprove the easy bake Rest combos that you could easily kill with at that percent.

Last edited:

---

鉄腕
Super Moderator
BRoomer
NNID
TripleDash
3DS FC
1719-3728-6991
Switch FC
SW-1574-3686-1211
So you're Masahiro Sakurai all of a sudden? Why don't you go balance a game since you know so much?
There's no such thing as true balance, so please don't get too heated over each others suggestions.

MarioMeteor

Smash Hero
NNID
BGenius23
3DS FC
0662-2900-1492
As i've stated before, i've been modding Smash 4 for the past month now. It's entirely possible for me to test all the changes myself. Surely you remember when I showed you that video of that mod where all of Mario's moves spiked. I mean, the mod was dedicated to you. ;P
Of course I remember, that's not really something you can forget. Even so, I didn't realize that Smash 4 modding had actually made progress, not this far, anyway.

It may not be fast, but you've still not told me how much longer Sing puts opponents to sleep. For all I know, you could mean that opponents will stay asleep long enough to where you can push them across the entire stage and still hit them with a fully charged foward smash without them waking up at 45%. [/
Long enough to where you don't have wait till high percents to land it without getting punished.
You also didn't say anything to disprove the easy bake Rest combos that you could easily kill with at that percent.
I mean, what else is there to say?

Last edited:
Top Bottom