• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Congratulations, Min Min! ARMS character(s) for Smash discussion

Which character do think will be revealed in June?

• Spring Man

Votes: 54 16.3%
  • Ribbon Girl

Votes: 12 3.6%
  • Ninjara

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Mechanica

Votes: 2 0.6%
  • Master Mummy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Min Min

Votes: 104 31.4%
  • Helix

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Kid Cobra

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Byte & Barq

• Twintelle

Votes: 25 7.6%
  • Max Brass

Votes: 18 5.4%
  • Lola Pop

Votes: 7 2.1%
  • Spring Tron

• Misango

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dr. Coyle

Votes: 19 5.7%
  • Biff

Votes: 8 2.4%
  • Combination of 2 or more interchangeable characters

Votes: 66 19.9%
  • Other (specify in thread)

Votes: 3 0.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
If it's a Sakurai showcase then they almost definitely won't. It depends if it's a direct but it's probably safe to say we will only receive the ARMS character. They would have branded it a smash direct if they were revealing several characters so that's kind of what it hinges on. I'd personally only expect 6 this month but 7 maybe July?
Possibly. I know it's just a rather flimsy hunch, but I get the impression we won't hear anything about FP7 because it may actually be Crash. Somehow I get the feeling that Activision won't say a peep about their plans about Crash this month if they are coordinating with plans for a Smash reveal.

With Nintendo's silence for a while and the ongoing pandemic, anything could happen.
Nintendo is Nintendo, they've always been secretive, and it's no different here aside from cancelling their general Direct plans.

Last edited:

Trevenant

Smash Lord
I severely doubt it's going to be just 1 reveal, especially given that this is the month of E3. Just because E3 was cancelled doesn't mean they don't have the reveal trailer and potential release date for FP7 done
That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying if it's a Sakurai presentation we are 99% probably not getting a reveal. If it reveals several new characters they may as well have branded it a direct.

And just because it's E3 doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have held off a reveal considering how much has been affected.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
That's not really what I'm saying. I'm saying if it's a Sakurai presentation we are 99% probably not getting a reveal. If it reveals several new characters they may as well have branded it a direct.

And just because it's E3 doesn't necessarily mean they couldn't have held off a reveal considering how much has been affected.
Nintendo's comments regarding 3rd parties had to do with their titles specifically. Sakurai made it pretty clear that the team wasn't hindered at all when it came to the development. I think 2 reveals is a more than likely, and we need to be a little more optimistic on that point. The only characters I can see potentially being held back are the latter half of the pass and not so much the first 3. They've been working on this since at least the summer of last year

SvartWolf

Smash Champion
With Nintendo's silence for a while and the ongoing pandemic, anything could happen.
I think this is important, even if development of products is undergoing, we don't know at which speed of if they have setbacks. but due to the current climate, i think plans have become rather flexible, and probably how they reveal information is evaluated on a day to day basis, or maybe week to week basis.

They obviously have enough stuff to show to guarantee a direct, but that doesn't means we are getting one. trying to predict based on past behaviours right now seems a little futile.

Trevenant

Smash Lord
Nintendo's comments regarding 3rd parties had to do with their titles specifically. Sakurai made it pretty clear that the team wasn't hindered at all when it came to the development. I think 2 reveals is a more than likely, and we need to be a little more optimistic on that point. The only characters I can see potentially being held back are the latter half of the pass and not so much the first 3. They've been working on this since at least the summer of last year
Yeah but they may want to hold off the reveal in case some stuff has been affected which I think is probably more likely. Either way this isn't really the place so I'll stop there

IronWarrior94

Smash Journeyman
I guess if there’s one good thing about today it’s that the leak that says Spring Man with alts of the other characters being revealed today is for all intents and purposes dead

never was a fan of that rumor

plus they said “a character from ARMS” singular, not “characters from ARMS” plural soooo
Tbh I would've preferred the alt scenario. As someone who has never played ARMS, IMO nearly every character has the potential to be in Smash going by their designs and importance to the "lore" alone. So it kinda sucks that only one is going to make the cut, and from what I've seen on here and other places in the internet only one character is not only requested the most but expected above all the others to be the rep.

Michael the Spikester

Smash Obsessed
Switch FC
SW-0818-8347-0203
We still got Wednesday if an announcement appears, so one more shot before going towards next week
I guess next week is when we'll likely see both the reveals and the release of FP6 given how next week is the last full week of June. This late into the month, they need to reveal FP7 too to make up for how long it's been at this point
More Pokemon content next week tho.

Last edited:

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Tbh I would've preferred the alt scenario. As someone who has never played ARMS,
Never played, huh? Well, allow me to explain why there are people who don't like the idea, but first...

IMO nearly every character has the potential to be in Smash going by their designs and importance to the "lore" alone.
I agree for the designs, but only half the cast, if even that, actually matters to the lore.

The rest are just there because they want to participate to a tournament for whatever reasons they may have.

Not saying it's bad, it actually makes sense for people to be in a tournament just for the sake of participating in it instead of being there for the lore. Just means that not everyone is impactful to the overall story.

So it kinda sucks that only one is going to make the cut, and from what I've seen on here and other places in the internet only one character is not only requested the most but expected above all the others to be the rep.
That's because every single character has unique abilities and even different moblity parameters (dash, charging time, jump height, etc.), so having multiple alts would sacrifice all the involved characters' individuality and maybe even completely take away the entire thing that made them fun to play for some people.

And, using Min Min as an example because she's a famous one for the alts; if I had to pick between her being a Spring Man alt, meaning she'd lose her draconic arm gimmick, or no Min Min at all, I'd honestly pick the latter because Min Min without her gimmicks doesn't feel like the same at all.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Never played, huh? Well, allow me to explain why there are people who don't like the idea, but first...

I agree for the designs, but only half the cast, if even that, actually matters to the lore.

The rest are just there because they want to participate to a tournament for whatever reasons they may have.

Not saying it's bad, it actually makes sense for people to be in a tournament just for the sake of participating in it instead of being there for the lore. Just means that not everyone is impactful to the overall story.

That's because every single character has unique abilities and even different moblity parameters (dash, charging time, jump height, etc.), so having multiple alts would sacrifice all the involved characters' individuality and maybe even completely take away the entire thing that made them fun to play for some people.

And, using Min Min as an example because she's a famous one for the alts; if I had to pick between her being a Spring Man alt, meaning she'd lose her draconic arm gimmick, or no Min Min at all, I'd honestly pick the latter because Min Min without her gimmicks doesn't feel like the same at all.
This is a major reason why I'm against the ARMS character having alts like this. Min Min losing her dragon arm that fires lasers wouldn't be right, and none of the other fighters should sacrifice their unique abilities like that

Last edited:

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
I don't think canon rules even matter much in Smash Bros, so long as one signature core of their gameplay is focused on. :ulthero: alts often use abilities they never did in their own games, :ultbowserjr: and the Koopalings don't use any of their own abilities for convenience's sake, :ultrosalina:had even less to work with, :ultpacman: is essentially a walking arcade cabinet, :ultpit: basically hijacked :ultdarkpit:'s chariot, :ulticeclimbers: had to get more attacks before debuting, and so on.

I guarantee that when the ARMS fighter launches, something will be off about them in some way, and no one will have any say over it.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
I don't think canon rules even matter much in Smash Bros, so long as one signature core of their gameplay is focused on. :ulthero: alts often use abilities they never did in their own games, :ultbowserjr: and the Koopalings don't use any of their own abilities for convenience's sake, :ultrosalina:had even less to work with, :ultpacman: is essentially a walking arcade cabinet, :ultpit: basically hijacked :ultdarkpit:'s chariot, :ulticeclimbers: had to get more attacks before debuting, and so on.

I guarantee that when the ARMS fighter launches, something will be off about them in some way, and no one will have any say over it.
They will definitely have something off. Come with the territory of being adapted to Smash, really.

But I very much doubt that the something will be sacrificing individuality for the sake of having multiple characters as alts.

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
They will definitely have something off. Come with the territory of being adapted to Smash, really.

But I very much doubt that the something will be sacrificing individuality for the sake of having multiple characters as alts.
Think about it this way: this may very well be the only chance in a long time they'll ever have to put in playable ARMS representation, so if they have to take this route to make up for it, they will.

As it is right now, it's impossible to put in more than one unique ARMS fighter when there's currently only 6 officially announced slots to work with for this pass. The only way to please the fans of more than one ARMS fighter is to reach a compromise.

Guynamednelson

Smash Legend
NNID
Nelson340
3DS FC
2105-8742-2099
Switch FC
SW 4265 6024 9719
If the ARMS character really does take that long, it shows how hard it is to adapt a 3D fighter character into 2D, and somehow some fans are still expected to get a Tekken character if the ARMS one takes that much effort.
If this is about being able to steer the ARMS left or right, I'd think they'd just change the directions to up and down rather than actually make the mechanic 3D.

The Stoopid Unikorn

Spiciest of Guacamoles
Switch FC
SW-4202-4979-0504
Think about it this way: this may very well be the only chance in a long time they'll ever have to put in playable ARMS representation, so if they have to take this route to make up for it, they will.

As it is right now, it's impossible to put in more than one unique ARMS fighter when there's currently only 6 officially announced slots to work with for this pass. The only way to please the fans of more than one ARMS fighter is to reach a compromise.
Even so, many characters would be left out anyway, so might as well just do just one and do it as faithfully as possible rather than sacrifice the characters' individuality by making many of them as alts.

Because whoever we get among those alts is likely gonna be pretty much stuck in that moveset forever, as we can see with Alph.

CatRaccoonBL

You can do it!
NNID
RaccoonBL
3DS FC
2294-4606-0767
This is a major reason why I'm against the ARMS character having alts like this. Min Min losing her dragon arm that fires lasers wouldn't be right, and none of the other fighters should sacrifice their unique abilities like that
At least in terms of the arms themselves, there is always the possibility of there being a mechanic that allows you to change arms mid fight. So there is an opportunity to be able to change into the dragon arm for example.

MattX20

Smash Hero
I guess my earlier comment from yesterday regarding Nintendo not wanting sales to be cannibalized was sadly proven right. But at this point, next week is all but guaranteed for the reveal and release of FP6.

Last edited:

chocolatejr9

Smash Hero
I guess my earlier comment from yesterday regarding Nintendo not wanting sales to be cannibalized was sadly proven right. But at this point, next week is all but guaranteed for the reveal and release of FP6.
Didn't we think that last week?

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Look at it this w
Not necessarily. There's still this Thursday.

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
Look at it this w

Not necessarily. There's still this Thursday.
Seems a little crazy to do it the DAY AFTER the Pokémon mini direct, but I’ll just take anything at this point

I heard someone say the majority of reveals were on a Thursday. Is that true?

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
Seems a little crazy to do it the DAY AFTER the Pokémon mini direct, but I’ll just take anything at this point

That used to be an old pattern, but with the pass of time it has become, honestly, just random

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
That used to be an old pattern, but with the pass of time it has become, honestly, just random
I wouldn't be surprised by that, really, :ultbyleth: arrived on the same week as a spirit event.

Wouldn't be that crazy. The week after New Horizons eventually released, we got a Direct with the ARMS reveal.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
At any rate, we've got til the end of next Thursday for our reveals, and I'm very confident we'll get the reveals and the release date by then.

fogbadge

Smash Obsessed
may i suggest i hypothetical scenario? some things in japan have picked up i believe, the pokemon anime has started production again, so is it not possible that nintendo are now able to make a small direct with stuff they wanted to show at e3?
pokemon presentation that counts i was right!!!

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
may i suggest i hypothetical scenario? some things in japan have picked up i believe, the pokemon anime has started production again, so is it not possible that nintendo are now able to make a small direct with stuff they wanted to show at e3?
They could make a mini, yes. They made a mini and something else in March right? When things were going to hell in Japan and it started to peak increase in the virus cases. So if they managed to pull a mini back then, and now they dont even have a state of emergency anymore and ppl are working way more normal-ish now, i don't see how they couldn't do that. The problem is if they have enough 1st party stuff to compile and show to justify one, or just games overall regardless of 1st party IP. Then you have events this month like New Game + Expo which most likely will show NMH3 since Grasshopper will be there. They did say in early May's investor meeting, that they have unannounced games still on schedule, so even back then they were on track despite working from home and such…

So yeah, the question of whether they can make a mini direct this month i think it totally depends on what content they have so far now ready to compile into a presentation and show it.

Nazyrus

Smash Champion
It is honestly bad looking how Nintendo are not even acknowledging the anniversary on twitter, specially when something ARMs related is happening this month as well. But I guess that's Nintendo for ya… anyway, I don't wanna be a bummer, it just sucks how Nintendo treats their franchises specially the ones that they leave to dust

MattX20

Smash Hero
It is honestly bad looking how Nintendo are not even acknowledging the anniversary on twitter, specially when something ARMs related is happening this month as well. But I guess that's Nintendo for ya… anyway, I don't wanna be a bummer, it just sucks how Nintendo treats their franchises specially the ones that they leave to dust
I just hope ARMS will be given more respect after the fighter is revealed/released. That's one thing Smash for the most part tends to do is give franchises not named Fire Emblem more respect

Buzzwole

Smash Ace
I'm surprised that today wasn't the day. Could it still technically happen though? Wasn't Joker's reveal video released later in the day? Maybe we could still get a reveal with a release next week?

Last edited:

Rie Sonomura

fly octo fly
NNID
RieSonomura
Switch FC
SW-4976-7649-4666
I'm surprised that today wasn't the day. Could it still technically happen though? Wasn't Joker's reveal video released later in the day? Maybe we could still get a reveal with a release next week?
It was a shadowdrop yeah, but joker was available for download immediately afterward. I doubt that’ll be the case this time

Guybrush20X6

Creator of Lego Theory
NNID
Guybrush20X6
3DS FC
4253-3477-4804
Switch FC
SW-2140-7758-3904
Again, still not day-time in Japan so let's be patient.

NOSTARSICK

Smash Apprentice
It is odd they haven't said anything (or at least yet)....didn't they say something on its first two anniversaries?

KirbyWorshipper2465

Smash Legend
Again, still not day-time in Japan so let's be patient.
That's around 5-9 PM in the Eastern Zone, right?

It is odd they haven't said anything (or at least yet)....didn't they say something on its first two anniversaries?
You know, that's an excellent point. That oughta be looked into.

Last edited:

GolisoPower

Smash Master
You know, that's an excellent point. That oughta be looked into.
Found 'em.

Granted, the second anniversary was a few days off as opposed to the first anniversary, but they still fit the context. Unless I'm not picking up on something.

Last edited:

MattX20

Smash Hero
Found 'em.

Granted, the second anniversary was a few days off as opposed to the first anniversary, but they still fit the context. Unless I'm not picking up on something.
I'm guessing they're holding off this time because of ARMS inclusion in Smash

meleebrawler

Smash Hero
NNID
meleebrawler
3DS FC
2535-3888-1548
Meh.

I have a bitter opinion of anniversaries and insisting stuff be done for them ever since Sonic 06. Devs have better things to do than constantly monitor the day each and every individual franchise they made was originally created.

Last edited:
Top Bottom