• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed: SSB4 gameplay faster than Brawl's, but slower than Melee's

D

Deleted member 245254

L-Canceling is very different from IV training. One is available to all players from the get-go, while the other one requires weeks (or months even) to properly set up. And then you're stuck with that team until you repeat the same thing again for a new pokemon.
It's worth noting that in the latest games, both IV breeding and EV training are very much in your face and easy for people who no idea about either, what you're saying here real only applies to previous generations. Pokemon made some great changes that makes team breeding incredibly accessible and easy.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
L-Canceling is very different from IV training. One is available to all players from the get-go, while the other one requires weeks (or months even) to properly set up. And then you're stuck with that team until you repeat the same thing again for a new pokemon.
IVs are actually pretty easy now with Destiny Knot passing on five IVs and safari 'mons having two perfect IVs. Even then, just toss a few junkers onto wondertrade and you'll probably get a few three to five IV 'mons. I can get a battle ready 'mon with it's best egg moves in a day now that I have a ton of five IV 'mons.

Trust me. Even if everything is explained, a casual will not put forth the effort to try and understand it (It's relatively complicated, at least compared to just plowing through the game with your Charizard), let alone then putting in the effort in actually doing the breeding.

A casual should not expect to compete with someone who has put the effort in breeding and EV train and studying the meta anyway. But I agree that casuals should be able to go online and have a good time. But that's an issue of matchmaking, not the game's design. I can say that go is a terrible game because a beginner can't compete with a 9dan, but there are very sophisticated rank system and matchmaking mechanisms on popular servers (i.e. KGS) that allow all levels to have fun. Online is interesting because before it, you just played in your circle and there was no complaining about tech barriers, it was just complaining about Kirby's down B or Pit's side B.
The idea is for casuals to at least know what's happening. They know what you're doing when you throw them or spot dodge. L-canceling could be reasonably taught to mid-level players considering it's just one button. 'Course, they could just reduce lag all-around and they wouldn't notice.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Can we stop pretending that L-Canceling is the same level of keeping a 300 APM in Star Craft or having a 90% railgun accuracy in Quake. It's pressing one button after an action. My friends and I figured this out L-Canceling weeks after SSB64 came out once we started playing. It's not difficult to do. If you ever did a QTE or was able to pull off a timed attack in RPG like Super Paper Mario, then you can L-Cancel.
Agreed. It's not exactly a advanced "tech" to do, so even in bragging rights it does and should do nothing. Completly useless mechanic. It's always good to do, always simple to do and very easy to do. Why even have that input there? Makes no sense. I hope they have it automated in Smash4.

Not that I care that much personaly since I've done it forever and it is, as said, easy to do once you learn it (wich you do very quickly). But it might be nice for new players with one less barrier to get past or find out about. Also would make some of my casual playing mates a bit more of a challenge to face, since they are not bothered L-canceling at all as it is :p

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Agreed. It's not exactly a advanced "tech" to do, so even in bragging rights it does and should do nothing. Completly useless mechanic. It's always good to do, always simple to do and very easy to do. Why even have that input there? Makes no sense. I hope they have it automated in Smash4.

Not that I care that much personaly since I've done it forever and it is, as said, easy to do once you learn it (wich you do very quickly). But it might be nice for new players with one less barrier to get past or find out about. Also would make some of my casual playing mates a bit more of a challenge to face, since they are not bothered L-canceling at all as it is :p
No, it's something that should be done manually. Take L-Cancelling Link's Dair. If you are going to do Link's Dair and feel like it wont hit, you can L-Cancel early. But if you are doing Link's Dair and you have a good read and it will hit, you will want to L-Canceling after it hits to prevent landing lag. Automating L-Canceling will make no distinction between when you might want to and when you want to wait for a hit to L-Cancel.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
No, it's something that should be done manually. Take L-Cancelling Link's Dair. If you are going to do Link's Dair and feel like it wont hit, you can L-Cancel early. But if you are doing Link's Dair and you have a good read and it will hit, you will want to L-Canceling after it hits to prevent landing lag. Automating L-Canceling will make no distinction between when you might want to and when you want to wait for a hit to L-Cancel.
What? I don't see how automatic L-cancel wouldn't work there anyways? (I never play Link so go easy on me). Still, even if so, having L-canceling manually because of one or a very few certain scenarios is silly. Then rather redesign Links D-air accordingly, I'm sure there is another way to solve that issue. Complexity not worth what it gives in my "good game design"-book. ;)

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
What? I don't see how automatic L-cancel wouldn't work there anyways? (I never play Link so go easy on me). Still, even if so, having L-canceling manually because of one or a very few certain scenarios is silly. Then rather redesign Links D-air accordingly, I'm sure there is another way to solve that issue. Complexity not worth what it gives in my "good game design"-book. ;)
That is only one example. Listing them all would be time consuming but every character would benefit from having manual L-Canceling.

Also, Link's Dair only needs to have the hitbox changed to spike against an air born enemy. Nothing else needs to change about his dair.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
That is only one example. Listing them all would be time consuming but every character would benefit from having manual L-Canceling.

Also, Link's Dair only needs to have the hitbox changed to spike against an air born enemy. Nothing else needs to change about his dair.
Hard to argue about it then when no examples can be put forth. I actually don't think it would be advantageous in many aspects at all. When do you mean that you are opting to NOT L-cancel?
Sure, some people argue about mindgames and such. But tbh I always found that argument pretty lacking. I watch alot of competetive Smash and very rarely do I see someone miss an L-cancel. If they do, I'm not sure I would find it more boring to watch if it wasn't there and they just succeded making their aggresivness go on rather than get punished for missed L-cancel.

Ps: I wasn't talking about what "needs to be done to Links Dair" or the balance of it at all. I just said that if it really is some big advantage with a manual L-cancel for that move (wich I again kindly ask you to explain further. Too me it just sounded like an automatic landing lag halver/L-cancel would be optimal in both your mentioned scenarios? But I'm a Link noob as said) I'm sure game designers could work out another way for it to function the same or better without the need of an manual L-cancel!

Last edited:

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Hard to argue about it then when no examples can be put forth. I actually don't think it would be advantageous in many aspects at all. When do you mean that you are opting to NOT L-cancel?
Sure, some people argue about mindgames and such. But tbh I always found that argument pretty lacking. I watch alot of competetive Smash and very rarely do I see someone miss an L-cancel. If they do, I'm not sure I would find it more boring to watch if it wasn't there and they just succeded making their aggresivness go on rather than get punished for missed L-cancel.

Ps: I wasn't talking about what "needs to be done to Links Dair" or the balance of it at all. I just said that if it really is some big advantage with a manual L-cancel for that move (wich I again kindly ask you to explain further. Too me it just sounded like an automatic landing lag halver/L-cancel would be optimal in both your mentioned scenarios? But I'm a Link noob as said) I'm sure game designers could work out another way for it to function the same or better without the need of an manual L-cancel!
Well, your argument is to ignore examples of why L-canceling is usefully and dismiss it because you don't want to use it. But just because of some people don't want it doesn't mean the rest of them should have it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
So it takes skill to use... 1% of the time. What's stopping you from pressing it when you would of landed and when you actually do, anyway? Would I be incorrect if I said it basically takes no skill to use? It's not even a tech barrier, it's a knowledge barrier.

What about buffering? Is it suddenly evil because people don't have to be frame perfect? What about tap jump on/off? It'd take more skill to loop arrows as Pit if it was always on, but it's a tad harder to do uairs with it off. Just because there's a fragment more skill involved with it doesn't mean it should even exist.

Would people be begging for L-canceling if it simply never existed? Come on now, answer honestly.

Cap'nChreest

Smash Master
NNID
CapnChreest
Please.... stop talking about L-canceling everyone. I'm pretty sure theres a thread for it still (if it hasn't been locked yet). I know its sad to see people who disagree with you. I'm not telling anyone they are wrong but most people will never give up on the fact that they like/dislike L-canceling. Its just not worth arguing most of the time. The opposing side isn't right if you don't argue with them so just stop... If L-canceling is in or if it isn't doesn't effect the speed of the gameplay. Aerials can have less ending lag without l-canceling and be faster than melee l-canceling. They could have l-canceling in the game and we wouldn't be able to tell because we can only watch the gameplay so we can't tell if its in or not. So talking about l-canceling is pretty worthless at this point because of all of the variables.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
Seriously, guys? Can we not turn this old topic into the second L-cancelling topic?

We already have an L-cancelling topic. Take it there, please.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
So it takes skill to use... 1% of the time. What's stopping you from pressing it when you would of landed and when you actually do, anyway? Would I be incorrect if I said it basically takes no skill to use? It's not even a tech barrier, it's a knowledge barrier.
A dumb and false equivocation. Either show your work on how L-Canceling works for every move to show that only 1% of the time or admit you are just making up numbers solely to support your own claims based on your own opinions.

What about buffering? Is it suddenly evil because people don't have to be frame perfect? What about tap jump on/off? It'd take more skill to loop arrows as Pit if it was always on, but it's a tad harder to do uairs with it off. Just because there's a fragment more skill involved with it doesn't mean it should even exist.
Making up more stupid non factual statements here. I don't even know what this was meant to rebuke because it's random and dumb. My main argument is that because some players don't use L canceling doesn't mean you should take L-Canceling away from the people who love using it.

Would people be begging for L-canceling if it simply never existed? Come on now, answer honestly.
DID MY FALSE EQUIVOCATIONS AND MADE UP STATISTIC NOT CONVINCE YOU? WELL, IM SURE MAKING UP A FAKE REALITY CERTAINLY WILL, BECAUSE A FAKE, PARALLEL UNIVERSE WHICH IS DIFFERENT AND THUS HAVE NO BEARING ON THE ARGUMENT WILL PROVE MY POINT. WHY AM I SHOUTING? I'M NOT MY CAP LOCK IS BROKEN.

PsychoIncarnate

The Eternal Will of the Swarm
NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I know a lot of people that enjoyed melee as a casual game

There just happened to be a few loud idiots that caught sakurai's attention during the making of brawl that ruined it for everyone

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

There just happened to be a few loud idiots that caught sakurai's attention during the making of brawl that ruined it for everyone
You mean to say that Melee was outright designed for hardcore gamers? Yeah, no. You see those two rectangles in the bottom-right corner that you don't use? The majority uses them. SSB was designed as the un-competitive un-fighting game, and the support for P3 and P4 is proof enough.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
You mean to say that Melee was outright designed for hardcore gamers? Yeah, no. You see those two rectangles in the bottom-right corner that you don't use? The majority uses them. SSB was designed as the un-competitive un-fighting game, and the support for P3 and P4 is proof enough.
I'm confused as to the context in which you replied to me

Were you replying sardonically, were you agreeing with my points...?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I'm confused as to the context in which you replied to me

Were you replying sardonically, were you agreeing with my points...?
I'm in disagreement with you. Melee wasn't designed to be competitive, it was just a coincidence it turned out playable competitively at all. These 'anti-competitives' were the very people the SSB series was aimed at. Sakurai supposedly made Brawl the way it was to spite competitives? No, he reaimed it back to the audience it originally attracted. You're lucky he's even considering hardcore play now.

JCDied4U

Smash Journeyman
NNID
Sieger
I'm in disagreement with you. Melee wasn't designed to be competitive, it was just a coincidence it turned out playable competitively at all. These 'anti-competitives' were the very people the SSB series was aimed at. Sakurai supposedly made Brawl the way it was to spite competitives? No, he reaimed it back to the audience it originally attracted. You're lucky he's even considering hardcore play now.
You make a good point but making the game more casual is like making an Airplane that can also function as a boat and then removing the water capabilities because that's not what was originally intended.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
See, that is the problem

Where did I say Melee was meant to be competitive

Where did I even say the word competitive?

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
You make a good point but making the game more casual is like making an Airplane that can also function as a boat and then removing the water capabilities because that's not what was originally intended.
I think Sakurai understands that now. But I still think all the complaining about Brawl's changes was pretty unwarranted and whiny. It's really more like going from a wheelie chair good for pulling stunts to a chair not good for stunts with how small the competitive community is.

See, that is the problem

Where did I say Melee was meant to be competitive

Where did I even say the word competitive?

Sounds like you're implying some loudmouth casuals ruined your fun to me. And since 99% of Melee fans are in it for the competition, it's a safe bet for me to throw my little factoid out there.

PsychoIncarnate

NNID
PsychoIncarnate
3DS FC
4554-0155-5885
I think Sakurai understands that now. But I still think all the complaining about Brawl's changes was pretty unwarranted and whiny. It's really more like going from a wheelie chair good for pulling stunts to a chair not good for stunts with how small the competitive community is.

Sounds like you're implying some loudmouth casuals ruined your fun to me. And since 99% of Melee fans are in it for the competition, it's a safe bet for me to throw my little factoid out there.
No, what I'm implying is that some loudmouths ruined it for both casuals AND competitive players

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
See, the weird thing is, I thought he was implying the "loudmouths" were competitive players. 'Cause, y'know, back when Brawl's demo was first playable, some competitive players focused on finding and abusing ATs in Brawl, which caught Sakurai's attention. They were, consequently, removed in the final release.

Or at least, that is how the story was told to me. I wasn't paying much attention to competition and such when Brawl was coming out. I was too hyped. Oh, how foolish I was...

Last edited:

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
No, what I'm implying is that some loudmouths ruined it for both casuals AND competitive players
Well, sorry for jumping to conclusions.

See, the weird thing is, I thought he was implying the "loudmouths" were competitive players. 'Cause, y'know, back when Brawl's demo was first playable, some competitive players focused on finding and abusing ATs in Brawl, which caught Sakurai's attention. They were, consequently, removed in the final release.

Or at least, that is how the story was told to me. I wasn't paying much attention to competition and such when Brawl was coming out. I was too hyped. Oh, how foolish I was...
I honestly don't believe a couple average joes discovered such a major thing in a day when Sakurai's team hadn't found it yet. I find it more likely a demo build had it's traction or something tampered with and was sent out with the big glitch knowingly.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
God damn that crimson text is hard to read...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fPKB-PT80Uw
I disable custom font colors by default in the forum options.

It doesn't work for people who manually select colors post-by-post, though. I use the white skin, so that one guy in the Ice Climbers thread with the white text... Well, I can only read his posts if I tilt my screen severely.

Priap0s

Smash Journeyman
Well, your argument is to ignore examples of why L-canceling is usefully and dismiss it because you don't want to use it. But just because of some people don't want it doesn't mean the rest of them should have it.
Ehm, I said I can't see how it affects that situation and asked you to explain further. I also said I thought keeping L-cancel in for such rare events only is bad game design and is just needles complexity for what it offers. Where the hell did you get the "You ignore examples and dismiss something cause you personally don't want to use it" from? I said nothing of the sort and I'd appreciate if you didn't make stuff up, doesn't really give a civil and healthy discussion. I just take it you had nothing to come with. If you do, please answer me in a pm, so we dont clog up this thread with off topic L-cancel rambling anymore! :)

Sorry for stearing this topic into L-cancel doom. Didn't know it would go on past that first comment. I hope it can find it's way back and florish. The speed looks very pleasing so far, I think the E3 invitational will be a huge eye opener, atleast to me personally. I'm a still remaining a bit skeptical since I belong to the part of the community that loves Melee and didn't care much at all for Brawl. But after E3 I feel I will have seen enough to allow myself to get hyped or dissapointed.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Well, I'm pretty hopeful since this'll be the very first SSB designed with competitive play in mind.
Let it sink in a minute... No more messed-up ledges, no more infinite combos, horribly OP glitches will get patched, and no more horribad balance.

This is quickly looking like the best SSB yet.

Celestis

Smash Ace
Well, I'm pretty hopeful since this'll be the very first SSB designed with competitive play in mind.
Let it sink in a minute... No more messed-up ledges, no more infinite combos, horribly OP glitches will get patched, and no more horribad balance.

I second this.
But at the same time, the patching makes me scared. If they just start patching every little thing they don't like, all the exploits plays find like in all past smash games could be meaningless. I approve of patching, but I just hope they let the game develop itself, too.

I think Smash 4 will be the best smash game ever, but it won't be my favorite.. If that makes sense.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
I second this.
But at the same time, the patching makes me scared. If they just start patching every little thing they don't like, all the exploits plays find like in all past smash games could be meaningless. I approve of patching, but I just hope they let the game develop itself, too.

I think Smash 4 will be the best smash game ever, but it won't be my favorite.. If that makes sense.
I'm doubtful much will slip past anyway with the Tekken team around, and there seems to be less changed this time around. Like how Brawl's DACUS and such probably came to be because of the different controllers and custom controls, but SSB4's only significant change is the ledge mechanics.

Senario

Smash Ace

Well they say that but so far the ledges are still very much messed up. There was one infinite in melee that is possible to be done by a human player, nothing else so no problem. And OP glitches? I haven't heard of any that are actually glitches and not mechanics of the game that was in a previous game. Like smooth landing. Wavedashing was the physics of the game.

Also, I see so many people take a dump on melee fans and competition without understanding the thing they are insulting. Comes off as ignorant and plain unconvincing.

Reila

the true enemy of humanity is anime
Sounds great to me. I dislike how fast Melee's gameplay is, but a little buff in Brawl's speed is welcomed.

Sm4sh is really shaping up to me the best game in the series.

Beats

Smash Cadet
Well they say that but so far the ledges are still very much messed up. There was one infinite in melee that is possible to be done by a human player, nothing else so no problem. And OP glitches? I haven't heard of any that are actually glitches and not mechanics of the game that was in a previous game. Like smooth landing. Wavedashing was the physics of the game.

Also, I see so many people take a dump on melee fans and competition without understanding the thing they are insulting. Comes off as ignorant and plain unconvincing.
Ness' yoyo glitch in melee is an example I can think of right off the bat. Pun intended. I mean, it wasn't OP in that it didn't change the whole metagame or anything, but anyway I think it was more of a hypothetical point. If any unexpected glitches or things do end up coming up post-release, Nintendo will pay attention and patch it.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054

How are the ledges messed-up? No more ridiculous Melee edgehogging or deaths because you were an inch above the ledge the opponent grabbed.

And you're jumping to conclusions here. Never said Wavedashing was an OP glitch, but I do believe it's a glitch. But I was referring to things like the freeze glitch, soul breaker, IDC and the like.

Xeiros

Smash Cadet
This will be a moot point for many here already familiar with it, but for those that aren't this is what is meant when players refer to Brawl as "slow" and Melee as "fast":

When we say Brawl is slow, are we referring to the actual game speed (the rate at which the characters move, attack, and fall?) For the most part, no. There was a Fast mode included with Brawl, but this didn't fix the problems. Are we referring to "advanced techniques" such as wavedashing or L-canceling? No.

What we are actually referring to is how the people who tend to win the most often in Brawl are the ones who employ a "poke and camp" strategy. That is, hit the enemy once and then retreat. It makes for an experience where approaching is discouraged and defensive play via hit and run is encouraged.

Basically the pace of the matches themselves was slow. The game was physically a little slower than melee, and that would have been fine if it weren't for the defense only structure of gameplay.

Chibi-Chan

Smash Journeyman
This will be a moot point for many here already familiar with it, but for those that aren't this is what is meant when players refer to Brawl as "slow" and Melee as "fast":

When we say Brawl is slow, are we referring to the actual game speed (the rate at which the characters move, attack, and fall?) For the most part, no. There was a Fast mode included with Brawl, but this didn't fix the problems. Are we referring to "advanced techniques" such as wavedashing or L-canceling? No.

What we are actually referring to is how the people who tend to win the most often in Brawl are the ones who employ a "poke and camp" strategy. That is, hit the enemy once and then retreat. It makes for an experience where approaching is discouraged and defensive play via hit and run is encouraged.

Basically the pace of the matches themselves was slow. The game was physically a little slower than melee, and that would have been fine if it weren't for the defense only structure of gameplay.

Actually a bigger issue, and reason for the defensive play you mention is that characters in Melee, despite it not being inherently much faster moving than Brawl, have much faster and varied offense (Mostly by AT like L-cancel and WD, but also things like momentum carrying, fall speed and real hitstun) that let's them stay in and after the opponents without losing momentum.

Brawl Sonic probably has a more sluggish offense than Melee Bowser, despite whatever speed he can run at.

This smash is actually the one with the fastest speeds, most characters zoom around the the entire screen like on permanent bunny hoods. The moment they try attacking, though, they are sitting ducks, EVEN ON HIT.

Last edited:

Shiliski

Smash Journeyman
3DS FC
4570-7099-6924
Brawl overall just feels slower, and I honestly didn't mind Melee's pace at all, even from a casual point of view.

That said, I'd be okay if Sm4sh was somewhere in between, and perhaps a bit more aggressive than Brawl.

Top Bottom