• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confirmed: SSB4 gameplay faster than Brawl's, but slower than Melee's

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
The Next Smash Bros. Will Balance Casual And Hardcore, Creators Say

If Super Smash Bros. Melee was for hardcore players, and Super Smash Bros. Brawl was for casual players, the next Smash Bros. game will fall somewhere in between, creator Masahiro Sakurai says.
This time around, Sakurai is going for the best of both worlds.
This morning, Sakurai and I had a long chat about all sorts of Smash-related topics, like third-party characters and tripping. I'll have a longer story up in the coming days about everything we spoke about, but for now I wanted to share a few words on the vision of the next game in Nintendo's massively popular mascot fighting series.
I had asked Sakurai what sort of weaknesses he thought were in the last game, Super Smash Bros. Brawl. I asked what he wanted to fix for this new one.
"I would consider the changes that we're making this time around not as fixes, but that we're changing the direction," he said through a translator. "And so the vision for the overall balance of the game in Smash Bros Melee, it was sort of more focused towards more hardcore players. Then when it came around to making Brawl, this was a game that was targeting a Wii audience where there were a lot of beginner players, so it sort of leaned a little bit more in that direction.
"So now, for this time around, we're sort of aiming for something that is in between those as far as the speed of the game. Because I don't really think this time we're in a situation where we're trying to accommodate that many new players."
Super Smash Bros. Goldilocks. Look out for more from my conversation with Sakurai in the next few days.

http://kotaku.com/the-next-smash-bros-will-balance-casual-and-hardcore-513211771

Sounds like a good balance, I can live with.

metaXzero

Smash Champion
I just hope Sakurai knows what he is doing in catering to both crowds. Or that Namco or whatever can talk him through some things.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
"So now, for this time around, we're sort of aiming for something that is in between those as far as the speed of the game. Because I don't really think this time we're in a situation where we're trying to accommodate that many new players."

Best thing ever, just what was wanted by the vast majority of the community.

Mr.Jackpot

Smash Lord
Meh, I don't like the idea of a "balance" between "hardcore" and "casual", all super vague and arbitrary terms.

When Melee and 64 came out they were by far the most "casual" and beginner-friendly as fighting games got, but with analog controls and the massive amount of subtle mechanics left in, Sakurai also created a game that could have a high depth and technical ceiling if players learned to control all of the variables. I don't like the idea of trimming down one end of the other, so we'll wait and see for what he does with Smash 4.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
Well, keep in mind Melee was intended to make Smash 64 more technical all in all and through its design process it was always meant to be deeper than 64, adding a lot of mechanics but it was still catered around "casual play"

Brawl was specifically designed for Casuals, it was meant to make the game simpler and much less deep, technical abilities were removed purposely and the game was made slower on purpose, even tripping was added to help the casual by having more advanced players mess up and giving the casuals more of a chance (So was the pity smash ball).

Now we're going into the 2nd Smash ever to be designed having the "let's make the game deeper and more technical mentality" while still trying to cater to casuals.

I think it is the best direction to go, specially since they now have a ceiling they know they shouldn't hit (Melee) and a floor they know they shouldn't approach either (Brawl)

TL?

Smash Ace
Meh, I don't like the idea of a "balance" between "hardcore" and "casual", all super vague and arbitrary terms.

When Melee and 64 came out they were by far the most "casual" and beginner-friendly as fighting games got, but with analog controls and the massive amount of subtle mechanics left in, Sakurai also created a game that could have a high depth and technical ceiling if players learned to control all of the variables. I don't like the idea of trimming down one end of the other, so we'll wait and see for what he does with Smash 4.
At the very least, he isn't trying to purposely spite us with mechanics like random tripping. Even if what he is saying is extremely vague, his intentions are clearly better this time around.

Kaye Cruiser

Waveshocker Sigma
NNID
KayeCruiser
Switch FC
0740-7501-7043
Faster than Brawl but slower than Melee? It'll probably still have somewhat of a Brawlish feel too, so...

Huh, so Smash 4 is Brawl+. ¦D

GaretHax

Smash Journeyman
Faster than Brawl but slower than Melee? It'll probably still have somewhat of a Brawlish feel too, so...

Huh, so Smash 4 is Brawl+. ¦D
Honestly it kinda looks like it from the gameplay, I'm hoping its between Brawl+ and Project M personally. (Rather than between brawl and pm or brawl+ and brawl.

Crossjeremiah

Smash Ace
i think sakurai is realizing how important competitive play is to hardcore gamers. i'm glad he's adapting . I'm happy they diddn't use items during the megaman showcase. i want this game succeed well in esports.

Chiroz

Tier Lists? Foolish...
NNID
Zykrex
i think sakurai is realizing how important competitive play is to hardcore gamers. i'm glad he's adapting . I'm happy they diddn't use items during the megaman showcase. i want this game succeed well in esports.

If it's any consolation the Demo versions they showcased (which weren't allowed to be played but were shown) were just Battlefield, no items, 2 minute stock matches, you couldn't even change the rules and Sakurai only played it 1v1, don't know what this means but I feel they are putting more focus in balancing around this type of play.

Kewkky

Uhh... Look at my status.
Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
They're not vague at all. A casual player plays games for fun. A hardcore player plays games to be the best.

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
Seeing as how Villager seems to be an anti-camp character, I wouldn't doubt the game being less campy as a whole.

Nessimator

Smash Apprentice
NNID
VtheVincent
3DS FC
4038-6421-2081
Warning Received
Looking good so far. As for me my two biggest hopes are THE REMOVAL OF TRIPPING and a very well balanced meta game. I also sorta hope Ness is a playable character too. He probably will be but still I hope. That's for another topic though.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Eh, I'm all for a casual game or a hardcore one. But I think you can't just mash them together and find a middle ground and think all problems are solved. Doing so kinda defeats the purpose why they are opposites of a spectrum in the first place, and what you get is something that will feel very lukewarm in any aspect. It's like mixing a Disney film with Kill Bill or something, and having only some violence and some fluffiness. You end up with something jarring to both demographics you were trying to bring together.

LancerStaff

Smash Hero
3DS FC
1504-5709-4054
Eh, I'm all for a casual game or a hardcore one. But I think you can't just mash them together and find a middle ground and think all problems are solved. Doing so kinda defeats the purpose why they are opposites of a spectrum in the first place, and what you get is something that will feel very lukewarm in any aspect. It's like mixing a Disney film with Kill Bill or something, and having only some violence and some fluffiness. You end up with something jarring to both demographics you were trying to bring together.
That's a bit different. Here, I'd guess the idea is that they're trying to eliminate tech barriers and make competitive play much more visible and easier for casuals to get into, while makeing the game much more fun competitively by balancing the game.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Speed was never a problem of smash games (untill Brawl) what's important is fluid movements (like having faster falling models then brawl) and most important COMBOS! Combos is what what smash 64 and melee the beloved games they are today.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
That's a bit different. Here, I'd guess the idea is that they're trying to eliminate tech barriers and make competitive play much more visible and easier for casuals to get into, while makeing the game much more fun competitively by balancing the game.
I agree about the tech barriers but balancing the game doesn't really go into this discussion. It's more like... better game design. I felt the first 3 didn't even really try in terms of balance. With the mentality that 4 will be SOMETHING of a competitive game, I guess they felt it was important.

Vann Accessible

Smash Ace
3DS FC
2208-6640-6360
Hmmm. Why is this topic bumped up to the front page?

It is interesting though. Remember how happy we all were when we found this out? A workable balance between Brawl's meandering floatiness and Melee's hyper-fast insanity? Well, screw gameplay. A full year later, all we can do complain about is the character roster.

Perspective. It's a good thing.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
Last year when they announced ssb4 I said "good. I hope it's smash 64 part 2." It's still my favorite in that the tech skill, the combos, and the levels are the craziest of the series.

Pazzo.

「Livin' On A Prayer」
Last year when they announced ssb4 I said "good. I hope it's smash 64 part 2." It's still my favorite in that the tech skill, the combos, and the levels are the craziest of the series.
Meh, we don't really need a rehash of SSB. Too much borrowing from other games without new ideas gives us Smash Bros: CoD edition.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
You do realize that every game is a re-has of Smash with a new more gimmicks and some slightly altered physics and graphics, right?

Khao

Smash Lord
I gotta disagree with that.

Even though Melee may have been more competitive-friendly, it's still a ****ing fantastic game for casual players, and as far as I care, Brawl is only better in that regard because of the massive amounts of content and extra options. There's nothing about Melee's base gameplay that's inherently worse for casual play.

Heck, even games like Street Fighter can easily be casually played just for fun with no real desire for true competition. I know I do, I love doing a couple matches of Street Fighter 4, or Guilty Gear every now and then, and I don't really bother "studying" them beyond knowing how to fully control my character.

Last edited:

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
I gotta disagree with that.
Even though Melee may have been more competitive-friendly, it's still a ****ing fantastic game for casual players, and as far as I care, Brawl is only better in that regard because of the massive amounts of content and extra options. There's nothing about Melee's base gameplay that's inherently worse for casual play.
Melee is one of the few exceptions. Most hardcore games are extremely intimidating and often deter casual players to the point that it is not even on their radar. Your point is why I think Sakurai made a grave mistake by alienating the hardcore fandom of Smash by making the game casual even though casuals didn't mind Melee's design. Pokemon is another example. As long as you don't play online... you can have a very fun experience with your casual in-game team through out the 1st player game. Just don't go online!

Kewkky

Premium
Switch FC
SW-7001-5337-8820
That's the problem. Why should casual players essentially not be able to use the online vs? Everything should be well explained and everybody should be on even ground. And if everything is explained, artificial barriers like L-canceling and IVs will be redundant.
L-Canceling is very different from IV training. One is available to all players from the get-go, while the other one requires weeks (or months even) to properly set up. And then you're stuck with that team until you repeat the same thing again for a new pokemon.

sunshinesan

Smash Journeyman
NNID
sunshinesan
3DS FC
2836-1118-8472
Everything should be well explained and everybody should be on even ground.
Trust me. Even if everything is explained, a casual will not put forth the effort to try and understand it (It's relatively complicated, at least compared to just plowing through the game with your Charizard), let alone then putting in the effort in actually doing the breeding.

A casual should not expect to compete with someone who has put the effort in breeding and EV train and studying the meta anyway. But I agree that casuals should be able to go online and have a good time. But that's an issue of matchmaking, not the game's design. I can say that go is a terrible game because a beginner can't compete with a 9dan, but there are very sophisticated rank system and matchmaking mechanisms on popular servers (i.e. KGS) that allow all levels to have fun. Online is interesting because before it, you just played in your circle and there was no complaining about tech barriers, it was just complaining about Kirby's down B or Pit's side B.

Last edited:

Ryan.

Smash Lord
I think this is a good move and will please many players. I've been a casual player for years. I don't like using items and stages with insane hazards but I still won't consider myself competitive or a "hard core" player. I enjoyed Melee, Brawl, and I recently got into Project M. I feel like the game speed for Smash 4 will be perfect, but I'm fine with whatever.

Riposte__

Smash Apprentice
L-Canceling is very different from IV training. One is available to all players from the get-go, while the other one requires weeks (or months even) to properly set up. And then you're stuck with that team until you repeat the same thing again for a new pokemon.
Can we stop pretending that L-Canceling is the same level of keeping a 300 APM in Star Craft or having a 90% railgun accuracy in Quake. It's pressing one button after an action. My friends and I figured this out L-Canceling weeks after SSB64 came out once we started playing. It's not difficult to do. If you ever did a QTE or was able to pull off a timed attack in RPG like Super Paper Mario, then you can L-Cancel.

Top Bottom