• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Confessions of a lousy smash player!

StealthyGunnar

Smash Champion
DIng and Consistency.

I play Cpu's so much that I can't even DI right on a long combo vs. a human player.

Also, I'll have days where I'll throw down 60-70% damage comboes, or 0-death comboes, and I'll also have days when I just suck soooo bad. I tried playing today: didn't work. Sucked terribly. Got so frustrated that I couldn't combo so I just quit...

Zone

Smash Champion
I can't WD out of shield either. Is it possible to be consistent with if I only use the R button? Now, I consider myself a somewhat technical player. I can SHFFL without even thinking, SHDL w/ shines, multishine, waveshine fluently, etc but WDing out of shield is so hard because I only use the R button, I don't even try anymore. I've been playing too long to use the L button, I don't even want to touch it. My index finger cannot move while i'm moving my thumb on the analog stick, they just don't work independently.
I use only L.

And how I do it with only one button is like this:

I push in L(R in your case). Far into the controller for heavy shield, BUT NOT ALL THE WAY. When I jump out of shield, I'll jump then just push in further into the button(L or R)

btw I have problems with:
Suicides(I swear I do it once a match)
I also tend to have a problem staying hyped, like I love this game but I don't let the fun/adrenaline rush in me.

spider_sense

Smash Champion
My execution in tech chasing and actually punishing moves. I also have a tendency to try to be to fancy and technical with my Ganon when I should be focusing more on the match itself, so generally I sand bag quite a bit, even if it's unintentional.

Jonas

Smash Champion
I use only L.

And how I do it with only one button is like this:

I push in L(R in your case). Far into the controller for heavy shield, BUT NOT ALL THE WAY. When I jump out of shield, I'll jump then just push in further into the button(L or R)
Or just push it all the way in and then lift your finger slightly when you jump and quickly push it down again .
I tried your method, but I found that I had to think a little more about what my finger was doing. I guess it depends on the person though :ohwell:

Anyway, I had some problems wavedashing out of shield before. I couldn't really get it down, but one day I was just doing it without putting any thought into it :p

JMOAN

Smash Apprentice
I often try to be too flashy with Sheik when a much more simple approach would work. Sometimes I just need to chill out, and do what works.

I have a hard time short hopping out of Fox's shine, so I can't shield pressure as much as I would like to.

When I play against a Fox player that can effectively drillshine > WD > grab > uthrow > uair , I clam up and begin to think the match in unwinable for me.

I need to use my secondaries in tournament more. Too often, I know one of them would increase my chances of winning, but I'm too scared to deviate from Sheik. I practice with them all the time in friendlies, but they rarely see the light of day in "real" matches.

St. Viers

Smash Champion
^^I have a similar problem--either I jump out of the shine quick enough, but full jump; or I shorthop out of my shine, but stay in my shine for too long.

Comrade

Smash Journeyman
When i try to dthrow to uair and it ends up being dthrow to uptilt.... **** leg drop....

EDIT: Even better, occasionally jumping with the control stick. which causes that^^^

KAOSTAR

the Ascended One
I play best when Im watching the match as if it were a movie, only doing and not thinking. zONE in son!

My biggest weaknesses are-Often missing techs vs spacies or as a spacie vs marth because of trying to l cancel. and I will almost always approach. If they camp me or wait for me to act I can get *****. I punish aggressiveness alot better.

Akasuna no Sasori

Smash Apprentice
I rarely grab.

My tech skill can be rather inconsistent (although I'm working on fixing this...)

I'm too predictable I think. I realize it after a game but during a game it never crosses my mind for some reason. :(

And my biggest weakness...

NO ONE TO PRACTICE WITH! >.<

Tomacawk

Smash Master
confidence
when i'm confident and have momentum my tech skill is godly and i make great decisions
but if i'm not confident i play like *** and can't even waveshine

ETWIST51294

Smash Hero
confidence
when i'm confident and have momentum my tech skill is godly and i make great decisions
but if i'm not confident i play like *** and can't even waveshine
this^^

I can multi moonwalk both sides at home but when I'm playing someone I can't do ****. The first time I played Cactus I couldn't even short hop.

FirewaterDM

Smash Apprentice
...main weakness, I'd say is that I'm still trying to learn how to do most advanced techniques (wavedashing, ect.)

otherwise the main concern is that I let my characters take too many hits, even with shielding/dodging/anything
( though surviving with 150%+ per life with whoever I use is at least entertaining.)

tubes

Smash Ace
I'll try to be too technical and end up suiciding. Like I'll go to offstage knee someone but wait till I'm at the edge of the stage to get the most out of my jump and end up canceling my jump off the ledge and dying. Or I'll combo someone offstage and go for the double jump knee finisher, but try to double jump during the IASA frames of the previous attack, and die.

Cactuar

El Fuego
BRoomer
this^^

I can multi moonwalk both sides at home but when I'm playing someone I can't do ****. The first time I played Cactus I couldn't even short hop.
I have a massive tech skill degen aura. People play very poorly vs me. I'm not actually good at this game.

Siglemic

Smash Journeyman
I start getting into patterns when I start getting beat, and I stop thinking

I sort of go into 'auto pilot' and stop caring

Top Bottom