• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Condors, Eggplants, and Chaingrabs~ The NEW Ice Climbers Guide~!

Teh Future

Smash Master
I think you should update the matchups. Niether Snake or ROB has a 70:30 matchup on us and G&W shouldnt be included at all. I dont think Ive ever lost to a G&W lol

Choas11111

Smash Rookie
yea the icy's are awesome!!!!! but hey,i main sheik XD i can play with ever character though...... :[

swordgard

Smash Hero
When recovering with single popo, shoot a single iceblock. It gives you a slight momentum boost and stalls in the air. Also, the iceblock shoots at the sexiest angle ever so it will almost always hit anyone going to edgegaurd you. Dairing to go below the ledge and then upbing to grab onto it =)

LMFAO. XD.

Best Ice Climbers players?

Why am i not even in there :( . 7th on aib playoffs, 3rd in most tourneys behind ally and holy in canada and always on the verge of beating holy >.> . Meep got destroyed by him at apex in crews :( .

Whatsover.

A) OOS options, upsmash anyone? Jump dair anyone?

B) LOL @ rob vs ics matchup, its 5-5, 5.5-4.5 at worst. Ice climbers have all the tools needed to beat rob. I have implemented SDI out of dsmash, now im gonna implement SDI out of dsmash to squall hammer(yes it works). Still, this matchup is in hold for me considering im gonna teach someone how to gimp nana in one grab(i am currently studying nana's AI and the best ways to gimp her).

C) Hobbling: Should be denoted that it is slower than other cgs, and you have to wait till nana stops running till you can do the jump. Also, note that the ice block can be SDI-ed behind or away, and will ultimately lead the cg to not be infinite if used alone. Maybe if you alternate forward and back hobbling youl stay in range(i really doubt it, but hey, people are sceptical and I dont like proving SDI stuff, its long . )

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Swordgard most of the people on the Ice Climbers boards here have never heard of you, so that's why I didn't add you. I didn't even know you placed that high, to be honest.

And I...really don't like UpSmash out of shield. >_> At all. I mean, I just wanted to list the good ones, but whatever. From the last matchup threads we've done, many of the people agreed that it was one of the Ice Climbers' hardest matchups.

swordgard

Smash Hero
Swordgard most of the people on the Ice Climbers boards here have never heard of you, so that's why I didn't add you. I didn't even know you placed that high, to be honest.

And I...really don't like UpSmash out of shield. >_> At all. I mean, I just wanted to list the good ones, but whatever. From the last matchup threads we've done, many of the people agreed that it was one of the Ice Climbers' hardest matchups.

No but seriously, hes a hard matchup, but you guys simply overrate how "hard" the matchups are.

Once you know how to limit his options it becomes much easier, and hes really easy to edgeguard.

Also, up air to nair(that brings him back onto the ground) to side b works wonder vs him.

Finally, blizz max is 35%, not 32%(go try on rob double blizz ).

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
Hm...if we get more people to convince me it's not a complete blowout, I'll change the matchup ratio. :x

Remzi

formerly VaBengal
NNID
Remziz4
3DS FC
0302-1081-8167
excellent guide, I'm trying to learn the ICs right now.

P. O. F.

Smash Ace
Because I started using Ice Climbers in Melee, I'm going to also start picking them up in Brawl. Yum. This is a sick guide that I will look into reading. Too lazy now. lol.

professor mgw

Smash Champion
NNID
Prof3ssorMGW
thank you for the info, i just finished practicing juggling.:)
now chaingrabs, escspecally the forward one, is hard to do.

Ant1

Smash Ace
Is there a detailed guide on the Infinite CG anywhere?

Like I know it involves the bthrow but the current guide doesnt make much sense.
For example, when do you actually input the throw command? it says you tilt it once to make nana turn around but not when to actually throw the enemy and how to regrab them out of the throw

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
How much more detailed do you people want for these CG explanations? Like, it's mostly practice. You tilt to make Nana turn, throw, then re-grab. Just practice[/b]. The chaingrabs aren't easy to learn at all,

Chileno4Live

Smash Ace
NNID
Xyronith
3DS FC
0731-5336-4808
nice guide it helped me out with the chaingrabs a lot, i can't seem to do the backthrows on some characters like MK and PikaPika, but i'll get there eventually. I don't reallu understand the desync. I can only do the belay 1. The pivot and te dashdance is what i wanna learn but it doesn't let me :(

Browny

Smash Hater
How much more detailed do you people want for these CG explanations? Like, it's mostly practice. You tilt to make Nana turn, throw, then re-grab.
well thats what i meant... current description

"Since we're doing this on Marth, grab with Popo (press Z), tilt the control stick slightly backwards to turn around and move Nana (so she doesn't run), and then press Z after you release the control stick."

Doesnt actually tell you when to input the throw command

Diddyknight

Smash Lord
Just practice the grabs.....Every CG takes some practice for Each character....each is diffrent so depedinng on what your practicing, the timing will be diffrent -.-

Sieguest

Smash Master
Wow...and all this time I could have came here to get my life straight on what I need to be doing to get better...man am I slow....
this guide is pretty cool :) Training mode here I come!!!

Well hey looke here...after 45 straight minutes of trying this I finally got two throws in...
slowly but surely...:)
but I have a question...
on the bthrow cg is it like a light flick of the control stick backwards?

momochuu

Smash Legend
NNID
Momochuu
3DS FC
2380-3247-9039
@ Marthage's question- Yes.

@ DemonicTrilogy- Hehe, yeah I forgot to change that picture. And thanks! We all did a pretty good job. =]

kailo34ce

Smash Lord
This is the most offensive guide I've ever read and the ice climber peeps that are active posters frighten me,icy boards be bottom tier

IxxI

Smash Fence
What she said.

Looool, I remember when I made KawaiiBunny rush the guide.
Blame me if no one finds it useful. D:
Also, I think you should make a "tl;dr" at the bottom.
I was thinking, "tl;dr: Spam UAir, Squall, Blizzard and Grabs."

zhul4nder

Smash Rookie
How would you guys suggest me practice chain grabbing? currently, i've been practicing hours on end with bowser because of the large hit box he has just to get the timing right.

zhul4nder

Smash Rookie
question about people escaping grabs:

How long does it take for someone to get out of a grab at 0, 20 , 40 etc percent? and if you damage them does it lengthen the holding time?

Top Bottom