• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Complete roster revealed? It was true!!!! (Except for Falcon/Olimar swap)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
I'm beginning to think the Neo3 are just toying with the smash community. All they really did was say, "yeah, that's the roster". They never had to predict anything. They may have a rep for knowing things on the inside, but as far as I've read about them....they've never been on the inside with Nintendo.

like I said, they never had to predict anything. The prediction came from an amalgamation of the only "leaks" that could be put together without contradicting each other.

let's look at this comparison...true leaker vs. fake leaker

a fake leaker is merely motivated by the intention to gain attention and cause unrest amongst the fans. If this were someone's intentions, it's very easy to see the kind of enjoyment one would gain by creating such chaos over nothing at all. Kind of reminds me of how my older brother used to pick on me.

a true leaker has the intention of spreading news when information is not (or cannot be) delivered by conventional means. They wish to reveal as much as they know and be the first to do so.

the "leaks" that, combined, make up the 35-roster (Nyase, Serebii, ChaosZero, and ShadowXOR) have not collectively come out and confirmed this final roster. If the Neo3 are able to confirm a guess while not violating their sources, why can't anyone else? Counter-point: these "leakers" don't have the final list, but it doesn't mean they weren't given some information. That's true. I read Serebii saying that the 35-roster, "may not be real," and, "should be questioned." I also thought I read someone saying that ChaosZero said it was fake...but that's heresay unless someone else can confirm that.

my point: these "leaks", individually, were placed under immense scrutiny before this roster was put together by ChronoBound. (Granted, that Dragoon prediction was pretty killer...the only hard prediction to make IMO) And is it really that coincidental that these four leakers can be put together without contradicting each other? I don't think so. Most of the "leaks" were saying the same things anyway. (which BTW is an easy way to gain some artificial cred...make your predictions, and be sure to tack on a few of someone else's.) Is it that coinicidental that these are some of the few "leaks" yet to be debunked? I don't think that's true either. From the mindset that these guys are fake, their predictions seem very safe...and smart.

so...just because the Neo3 said, "yeah, that's the roster" doesn't necessarily add up to me. Sure, PoR gave an order that the characters would be placed in (after this roster was already created and circulating), but even that had some discrepancies and her statement was later changed, saying that it was "from memory"...an easy out, if you ask me.

/rant

I am officially calling shenanigans on everything...and I mean everything. This whole board is just a hoax...and you're all in on it. need to sleeep
Finally, someone gets it.

The only person I trust is Serebii, like I have for years. You wanna talk about a guy who's built credibility... you don't get much better than ol' Joe.

Everything else is just BS. Even the "classic mode video" is in question since some anonymous guy on 2chan posted it.

DO YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT 2CHAN IS A SITE OF WORTHLESS BANTER AND TROLLS -- ANONYMOUS ATTENTION-SEEKERS?

The Noob Legend

Smash Ace
Finally, someone gets it.

The only person I trust is Serebii, like I have for years. You wanna talk about a guy who's built credibility... you don't get much better than ol' Joe.

Everything else is just BS. Even the "classic mode video" is in question since some anonymous guy on 2chan posted it.

DO YOU GUYS REALIZE THAT 2CHAN IS A SITE OF WORTHLESS BANTER AND TROLLS -- ANONYMOUS ATTENTION-SEEKERS?
Ok, how about you try to fake a video game title screen.
I dare you.

I bet you can't.

Reyairia

Smash Champion
Yeah, but it is ANONYMOUS.
A real leaker would try not to get found out else risk his/her job or a lawsuit.
And with anonymity and posts being deleted after a while, the Chan boards are perfect for that.

P.S. I'm one of the more skeptics as well.

Aninymouse

3DS Surfer
3DS FC
3540-0120-0225
The people on 2chan know that we watch them. If people on the English counterpart, 4chan, are willing to call in bomb threats to football games and hijack people's servers and prank phone call random homely kids... IF YOU KNEW what the 'chans have done in the past, like I do... THEN MAYBE you'd be skeptical, too.

I'm not discounting the possibility that the starting roster picture posted on 2chan could be real. I'm not discounting that the video could be legit. What I'm saying, though, is to be cautious.

AND DON'T BELIEVE ANY KIND OF "FINAL ROSTER" THAT SOME GUY POSTS, EVER. WAIT FOR VERIFICATION.

Fake until proven legit, I say.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Ok, how about you try to fake a video game title screen.
I dare you.

I bet you can't.
Who faked a video game title screen? Where?

And InvincibleAgent already proved how easy it was to fake a character select screen... (in my previous post)

I agree, fake until proven legit, there are just too many flaws with this. Far too many. I also have far more trust in Serebii than I do in some guy from 2Chan I've never heard of before. Serebii has made a name for himself posting accurate information... that, and it's only a game. They could be pulling a big "thealmightygoat" and trying to get us to lighten up a bit.

thetoastinator

Smash Apprentice
Starting roster is obviously true....but the complete roster?

No, I am not buying it until proven true....

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Where does the guide say Olimar is a starter? Did it occur that he could not just in there because he was revealed on the Dojo 2 weeks ago, and said guide knew what the Dojo updates this month would be? There is no "proof" that he's a starter.

hungrybum

Smash Journeyman
rob from starrfox is way too minor, and giving starfox 4 reps with no krystal is a strech

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Not adding Ridley as well, when Metroid is a far more prominent series than Starfox at the moment, is very strange.

Zinfandel

Smash Journeyman
I dunno if one could create the real (confirmed-by-guide) starting roster on the TV just on induction. Then again, taking the Dojo/Demo guys and then taking away Sonic and Snake... Lucky shot? Or am I missing something here?

Edit:

Not adding Ridley as well, when Metroid is a far more prominent series than Starfox at the moment, is very strange.
That's a point in my book. Starfox going from one to two to four with Metroid stuck on one for three games straight? Fishy.

Boofer

Smash Ace
My question is, what kind of guide doesn't have secret characters in it?

SuperLink9 said:
Where does the guide say Olimar is a starter? Did it occur that he could not just in there because he was revealed on the Dojo 2 weeks ago, and said guide knew what the Dojo updates this month would be? There is no "proof" that he's a starter.
This would be a valid point if Sonic and Snake were not absent. Though this is not direct proof, I'd say it's logical to assume that it lists the Starters because the guide is basically everyone on the Dojo minus the confirmed secret characters and the rest of the unrevealed characters.

Revven

FrankerZ
It's not strange if they couldn't balance the game with him in it. You have to account for everything when it comes to a character. There is probably a solid reason for why Ridley wouldn't make it in the roster, just like for the ATs and the bosses (ala Petey Piranha).

I'm still saying that the roster hasn't been proven fake because there's no visual proof that proves it fake. Which we won't get until next week anyway. :dizzy:

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
My question is, what kind of guide doesn't have secret characters in it?
Yeah, they're more like the "guides" you get in a game manuel :p and even the game manuel usually hints at secret characters.

This would be a valid point if Sonic and Snake were not absent. Though this is not direct proof, I'd say it's logical to assume that it lists the Starters because the guide is basically everyone on the Dojo minus the confirmed secret characters and the rest of the unrevealed characters.
It's possible that the magazine creators took Sonic and Snake's confirmed status as secret characters, and Olimar's unknown status. If Magazines have really played the final game, then they would try to make it more obvious that they have, right? For all we know, Nintendo could have provided them with a demo, and they featured what they played... Olimar hadn't been playable on a demo before, so would Nintendo want impressions to be given out before the game was released? For promotional purposes? Everyone knows Snake and Sonic are in anyway.

Just my 2 cents.

EDIT: If Bowser, Olimar, Mr G&W and Diddy Kong alike are all able to be in a Smash Bros game, I see no reason whatsoever why Ridley wouldn't get in because he "couldn't" be in. Not to mention he's far more popular than Wolf, and Starfox as a series isn't that popular anyway, why would it have THREE secret characters and FOUR characters overall? One of which being very obscure indeed.... but not enough to be a WTF character.

TunaInTheBrine

Smash Rookie
one thing that really gets me on this rumored 35 character roster is this:

see the icons? there is clearly a maximum of 5 characters set per franchise. but...the roster in question maxes out at 4 characters for Mario and Pokemon. no franchise gets 5.

so...why leave that extra space?
Yeah, I had the same thought too.. but in checking that update again, one of the pictures made me think that the character restrictions on stickers might not *just* be based on character series. It's the seventh sticker on this page.

Two of the stats buffed by the stickers are slash and flame power.. so perhaps some stickers will be restricted based on the stat itself; ie restricted only to the characters with moves that use the stat. Like the flame one, can't that be applicable to Mario (fireballs, and his side smash is fire based right?), Bowser and PT (Charizard's flamethrower, and doesn't the upB have fire damage with it too?)? Honestly though, I don't see how one or two fire based attacks would warrant a sticker to be character exclusive.. with flame, anyway. I see there being a better argument for exclusive slash stickers, as Link and Ike's A moves and smashes will most likely make use of their swords.

If this is the case, I'm thinking more along the lines of using exclusivity for stickers with higher stat increases, to stop people from wasting them.. basically, Sakurai trying to make the stickers more accident/idiot proof.. for example:

*presses random* :)
*accepts without thinking* :)
*realises that +20 to slash power has been placed on Zelda* :ohwell:
*facepalm's self* :mad:

So yeah, at any rate, I think it's possible for the stickers to be based on common move types =p

The thing is, I guess every character can gain those types of attacks through items such as the beam sword and fire flower.. and if you look at the picture at the top of that page, Joshua (ups slash power) is able to be used without character restriction :ohwell:

So yeah, hrm, I dunno, it could be either I guess, or both :confused: .. but I don't think the 5 spots definitely mean 5 characters from one series, though it's certainly possible.

Solo Assass1n

Smash Journeyman
Ahhh, good ol' photoshop... You know how I can tell that second picture is a fake? There aren't any hands or colored tokens showing that a player has picked a character... Big mistake for the guy who forgot to photoshop that in...

Boofer

Smash Ace
It's possible that the magazine creators took Sonic and Snake's confirmed status as secret characters, and Olimar's unknown status. If Magazines have really played the final game, then they would try to make it more obvious that they have, right? For all we know, Nintendo could have provided them with a demo, and they featured what they played... Olimar hadn't been playable on a demo before, so would Nintendo want impressions to be given out before the game was released? For promotional purposes? Everyone knows Snake and Sonic are in anyway.

Just my 2 cents.
Possible, but honestly I don't think it's very likely. There's no real reason for them to not show Sonic and Snake if they showed Olimar. Remember, nobody has played as Snake either.

EDIT: If Bowser, Olimar, Mr G&W and Diddy Kong alike are all able to be in a Smash Bros game, I see no reason whatsoever why Ridley wouldn't get in because he "couldn't" be in. Not to mention he's far more popular than Wolf, and Starfox as a series isn't that popular anyway, why would it have THREE secret characters and FOUR characters overall? One of which being very obscure indeed.... but not enough to be a WTF character.
As for Ridley, perhaps Sakurai had a different plan for him. Maybe he planned for Ridley to be a boss, or maybe he felt Ridley simply wouldn't work well as a playable, for whatever reason.. Honestly, I think he should be playable for the simple fact that he has so many effing supporters.

R.O.B. will probably not be the ROB 64 from Star Fox, so that means 2 secret characters. Don't forget that both of Fire Emblem's character's were secret in melee, so 2/3 secrets for a franchise isn't such a big surprise.

Revven

FrankerZ
There are extenuating circumstances that could be accounted for why Ridley "couldn't" be in the game.

Hitboxes are off, he's not the right size/can't/couldn't get him the right size, he unbalances the game, something faulty happened with him that they couldn't fix (ala Balloon Fight in Melee, Pit in SSB64), and etc. It's not just popularity for how a character gets in, it's how they fair and what they add to the game that matters most. If they cause a unbalance or don't work right OF COURSE they are dropped.

The ATs are evident of this, with all the possible character choices they became ATs for specific reasons. You'll be lucky that Ridley will probably be a boss, if even that (if the roster holds true).

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
Yeah, but only 3 secret characters that are new... and we have heard lots of different things about ROB, it's impossible to say which one it'll be, and there's even evidence against both types.

Remember, nobody has played as Snake either.
He was covered quite thoroughly in the Famitsu guide, wheras Olimar, although already revealed, wasn't even mentioned in the Famitsu guide.

As for Ridley, perhaps Sakurai had a different plan for him. Maybe he planned for Ridley to be a boss, or maybe he felt Ridley simply wouldn't work well as a playable, for whatever reason.. Honestly, I think he should be playable for the simple fact that he has so many effing supporters.
I agree, I don't actually support Ridley, but he's some of the best ammunition I can use to debunk this.

EDIT: Size has no relevance at all.

#1 Giga Bowser is huge anyway
#2 Bowser is tiny compared to how big he's supposed to be
#3 What about how big Olimar or Kirby are supposed to be? We're talking a FEW INCHES.

And if there was something glitched with him, I see no reason, especially with today's resources, they couldn't just tinker a little bit and maybe even alter his moveset to be fixed.

And balancing isn't a good enough argument. Altering attack power shouldn't be that hard, the only problem would be his character model, which I don't see why it would have any of these problems if made correctly. Not to mention Melee's balacing sucked.

Revven

FrankerZ
EDIT: Size has NO relevance at all.

#1 Giga Bowser is huge anyway
#2 Bowser is tiny compared to how big he's supposed to be
#3 Does ANYONE know how big Olimar or Kirby are supposed to be? We're talking a FEW INCHES.
SIZE WAS NOT THE MAIN PROBLEM. IT IS A POSSIBILITY OF A PROBLEM.

Did you even read my post? Notice all the slashes for that part! God ****...

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
There are extenuating circumstances that could be accounted for why Ridley "couldn't" be in the game.

Hitboxes are off, he's not the right size/can't/couldn't get him the right size, he unbalances the game, something faulty happened with him that they couldn't fix (ala Balloon Fight in Melee, Pit in SSB64), and etc.
=/ You must misunderstand how video game development works. Nintendo basically pays these people $40,000+ a year to code, design, and make things work in games. You can get Ridley the correct size, no problem. His hitboxes being off? Thats up to the Designer of the attack animation and the programmer of the hitboxes. You assign hit boxes to his mouth, hands, feet, and tail, or anything else he'll attack with, and then make a proper animation based around that.

The only reasonable thing is that they did encounter some strange bug as an error(I remember Pit would freeze the game when he died during his FS was reported), but I'd still think it unlikely that a team of 100+ people wouldn't be able to fix it.

So, to me, either Ridley was in as PC to begin with, or he was not.

-DD

SonicSmash001

Smash Apprentice
The full roster doesn't have the random character button sakurai said it would have. Therefore it is fake.

Syroco

Smash Apprentice
The original leaker of the 35 man roster admitted to it being fake.

Bane84

Smash Journeyman
Nintendo basically pays these people $40,000+ a year to code, design, and make things work in games.
That can't be right. That's a pretty low starting salary for a developer. I just recently got my Bachelor's in Computer Science, and am also in development, but my starting salary is $52.8k. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I agree with the whole "size has no relevance" argument. This was basically confirmed when Olimar joined the scene.

SuperLink9

Smash Lord
NNID
SuperLink9
The original leaker of the 35 man roster admitted to it being fake.
Where? o.0;

I think people are finally starting to get to the bottom of this though, and all the time the 2Chan pic is seeming more and more fake too.

DarkDragoon

Smash Champion
NNID
LordDarkDragoon
That can't be right. That's a pretty low starting salary for a developer. I just recently got my Bachelor's in Computer Science, and am also in development, but my starting salary is $52.8k. :rolleyes:

Anyways, I agree with the whole "size has no relevance" argument. This was basically confirmed when Olimar joined the scene.
Thats the reported starting salary for a video game programmer.
:p It takes about 4 years to double to $80,000.
Developers make more than that.
And of course it depends if you're putting out hits or not too...
-DD

WeeklyJumpman

Smash Journeyman
I just don't see how R.O.B. can roll, grab, etc.

And figuring as his name is "Famicom Computer Robot" in Japan, I don't think they'll use such a generic character with an even more generic name.

One of Sakurai's rules was that characters must originate in a video game to be playable, remember?
R.O.B. is an accessory.

I have nothing against R.O.B.; I thought he was awesome on Mario Kart DS.
But if there were only three more newcomers on Brawl, I certainly wouldn't want him as one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom