• Welcome to Smashboards, the world's largest Super Smash Brothers community! Over 250,000 Smash Bros. fans from around the world have come to discuss these great games in over 19 million posts!

You are currently viewing our boards as a visitor. Click here to sign up right now and start on your path in the Smash community!

Community-Generated Trials for Melee?

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Fox ideas:
- Turnaround Waveshine (edit): 1) half a roll's distance from edge, facing the edge, shine-turnaround wavedash to edge - 2) starting from mid-stage run to the edge, before the edge turnaround waveshine, grab ledge

I don't know if these multiple-levels for each trail is something you are into, but I think it's a great way for veterans to have something to work on that is also fundamental, ya know?

JKJ

Smash Ace
That is a good idea; I like the idea of multi-level trials, just saying, it might be near-impossible for me to find the time to make trials like that.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
As far as videos go, it makes sense that you wouldn't be able to put them in there. Good additional content for veterans I suppose.

Actually, can you provide a little taste of what your Fox list entails. I'm trying to get my practice in with him - having some guidance will help. lol

HK_Spadez

(@'o')=@ t('o't)
A bit late to the party but thanks for these trials! As a marth/falco noob it was really helpful! Helped a lot more than other guide's i've found on youtube.

Starting to learn falcon right now. Wish we could see some footage for that. Cant get some of it down.

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Starting to learn falcon right now. Wish we could see some footage for that. Cant get some of it down.
I'll try to get some video examples up on that thread - I don't have the video capture capabilities to do what JKJ is doing. I'll post in here when I have the links finished.

JKJ

Smash Ace
My list with Fox entails

Short hop double lasering 4 times in a row
Waveshining Peach across FD
Waveshine>Dash>Grab on Marth
Waveshine>walk forward>Upsmashing Yoshi
Thunders' Combo on Falco
Runoff Shine Reverse Up-B Ledgehog
Dair>Waveshine>Dair>Waveshine x5 on Peach
Upthrow Upair on level 3 CPU's (Various Characters)
Shortening Illusion to Ledge
Backthrow>Shine off the ledge (level 3. CPU)
Shine OoS

theres more but i have no time to write it right now.

Sheik Trials almost done. I've been SOOOO busy.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Wow! Thanks so much for the exposure! I wish i could comment too

Thanks for being a big help in all this, especially in the exposure department!

I'm thinking Fox next.... sounds like fun to me. I'm hoping to make the new one bigger and better than before, maybe do that multileveled trial thing you suggested (obviously would credit you if i use it)
I was thinking only two trial levels though, maybe a normal level and an advanced level (like a crazy challenge trial).

Again, thanks a ton!

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Bumping, to revive the Fox trials.

JKJ, you should probably post something on Melee Social (FB) about it, because after the Sheik trials were finished it seemed people had a ton of input that you didn't get through SWF. Yeah?

JKJ

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I knew that eventually somebody would make me feel bad for putting this off for so long. The Fox trials will be in production very soon. I had a super uber busy death period of two months to end the school year... Tests and Finals and craziness. I'm just settling down now, and I got a Melee setup put in my room now, so production will be very easy. I'm going to get working on Fox trials soon. And Im not sure what you mean about posting in Melee Social?

Doser

Smash Ace
I know this is mainly for fun, but it would be cool to add some more useful techniques for fox. I'd say the following are both useful and a bit of a challenge for newer players

shine->grab
dair->grab
waveshine->up-tilt/turn around up-tilt
ledge hop waveland on yoshi's/battlefield platforms
up-throw up-air jigglypuff/peach at higher percentages
chaingrabbing falco/fox/c. falcon
nair->up-tilt/turn around up-tilt

The 20xx training pack has spoiled me, since I'd really like to suggest a way to test shield pressure with space animals, but I don't know how to do that with only one player in unmodified melee.

Last edited:

Dapplegonger

Smash Journeyman
NNID
PetX-tremist
3DS FC
5129-1289-1208
I think doing something like this for lower tier characters would get more people interested in them, help the lower tier metagame evolve as opposed to encouraging the use of high tier characters. I play as Luigi so my opinion my be a little biased, but I feel like a community using a large range of characters effectively is more exciting than the 8 characters that currently dominate tournaments.

EDIT: This probably isn't the most appropriate place to post this, but it fits in with the topic at hand: something like the Playstation Allstars training mode would be perfect if it was adapted to Smash. That way the game would encourage you to get better and help you do so. Now that I think about it, that would be a great thing to implement in Project M v4.

Last edited:

thespymachine

Smash Ace
Hmmm... I knew that eventually somebody would make me feel bad for putting this off for so long. The Fox trials will be in production very soon. I had a super uber busy death period of two months to end the school year... Tests and Finals and craziness. I'm just settling down now, and I got a Melee setup put in my room now, so production will be very easy. I'm going to get working on Fox trials soon. And Im not sure what you mean about posting in Melee Social?
What I meant about Melee Social was this:
- You don't get much input from the community on this site about things that you should include, or just general stuff.
- When I posted the Sheik trials on the Melee it on Me group, there was like 100x more input, and there was stuff that you could have included.
- Perhaps, posting on either Melee Social or MIOM you can get the input now to give you more to work with in the video.

As also, I really appreciate what you're doing. Thank you.

JKJ

Smash Ace
Wow... my procrastination knows no bounds. The Fox Trials video just got finished, today. I finally did it. Took me long enough!
Here it is! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t3rVxV3c2lg&feature=youtu.be

I will be posting this to /r/smashbros and Melee Social tomorrow, in the more earthly hours of the day.
Hope it's not too late to pick up production again! This one took me only a day to record and edit, so I can crank these out!

Last edited:

krazyzyko

Smash Champion
l actually posted one for Puff in her forums:

1. Recover under FD twice(from ledge to ledge)

2. Reverse Bair x5 (for every jump)

3. Stay airborne for 3 minutes in Kongo Jungle 64. (No ledgegrabbing)

4. Kill 10 shyguys on Yoshi Story.

5. Platform ledge cancel all aerials.

6. Crouch > WD through Pokemon Stadium twice. (Stage doesn't transform on training mode)

7. Up smash OoS, Dash > JC up smash and WD Oos 10 times in a row.

8. Ledgehop sing regrab > *make Fox sleep* > ledge hop > rest.

9. Target test: pound and sing into the hotboxes and tech them. 5 times in a row each.

10. Sing hug 5 times in a row. (dash off ledge and up B WITHOUT double jumping)

JKJ

Smash Ace
Some of those for Puff sound really good! I will probably use some of them when I make a puff one.
Thanks for the input!

Top Bottom